Start by marking “Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun” as Want to Read:
Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun

Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,296 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Carla Sonheim is an artist and creativity workshop instructor known for her fun and innovative projects and techniques designed to help adult students recover a more spontaneous, playful approach to creating. Her innovative ideas are now collected and elaborated on in this unique volume. Carla offers a year's worth of assignments, projects, ideas, and techniques that will...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Quarry Books

To ask other readers questions about Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists

Jill
Awesome book! For a book only 144 pgs, it packs a lot of punch. Milage may vary, but she presents art in such a fun way, I am impressed. It would be a lovely gift to an artist along with keri smith's "wreck this journal. " Not all art has to be serious-- and as a senior art student myself, I can attest that a number of her prompts have been used in my art classes and even some other art books. So some of that information is not new, but it is presented in a brilliant way, for any age group. (I w...more
Betsi
Recently got this on Kindle to read on vacation, and devoured it. Glad I spent the 40 minutes I did browsing the Kindle store, this was exactly the book I was looking for; full of practical exercises for that help to free up the creativity and to hone the skills. Fun without being overly silly, technical without being dry.
Joe
52 rock solid fun and creative assignments, projects and exercises that will take the visual artist's creativity to new levels. For all skill levels. A fun reference manual with a year's worth of work.
Carmen
I'm going to be honest, when I first received this book I sat and read it till about half way through and put it down. I really wasn't inspired to try out the exercises. I thought they were daft.Then a blog friend decided to do a play along with the book. Doing an exercise every week or so and encouraging others to join in and link up. Well, I had the book so why not.

Now I have to eat my words a tad. This is one of those books you have to use to get the full benefit from, not just read. The very...more
Sonya
I strongly recommend this book; I remember wondering if art was going to be the major for me, when my entire freshmen year - was spent drawing cardboard boxes to learn about perspective, scale and the basics of drawing. I was so frustrated because it was a general education elective, but I was way beyond what we were learning and that class almost made me drop my major then and there.I constantly broke rules and stretched the boundaries of my assignments - while my teacher praised the creativity...more
Aynge
Great ideas for a novice like me who has no clue about art. Easy projects to get you going and inspired! Got a fat marker and a stack of index cards? You have enough for one project already...
Tracey
Mar 19, 2014 Tracey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
These are fun exercises that force one to experiment or look at things in a new way, and I found they lightened my mood when I felt stuck in a creative slump.
Carolyn
I had originally checked this book out of the library because I'm participating in "Art Journal Every Day" this year, and used some of the exercises for inspiration in my journal. I liked it enough to put it on my Amazon wish list and my dear friend Madeleine sent it for my birthday! If you are an absolute beginner in drawing or do not feel confident in your drawing skills, I would recommend looking at all the exercises first and starting out with the blind-contour drawings or projects inspired...more
Josiphine
An interesting but not entirely useful look at drawing. I should have looked more closely at the cover before I checked it out--see that 'mixed media artists' at the bottom? I'm not interested in mixed media so quite a few of the exercises were of no use to me. There were a few others though (mostly about loosening up--ha!) that were a lot of fun.
Annette
Mar 01, 2014 Annette rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who enjoy creativity
Very fun and easy.
Kate
Carla Sonheim helps to break creative blocks in fun and unexpected ways. Her style is fun, quirky, and original. This book is perfect for beginners and professionals alike. I have bought numerous art/craft books and this by far was my best purchase!
Kim
This book is incredibly well designed - a nice summary of 52 drawing based exercises that are appropriate for artists of all levels. Furthermore, the straightforward approach is well illustrated and appointed. At least 1/2 of these exercises I will incorporate into various lessons for both children and adult classes - the content is that applicable! Love this book and have added the other 2 in the series, collage and print & stamp lab, to my to-read list.
Flower Edmiston
A gift from my mom, with lots of neat ideas... I have a feeling this is going to be on my desk and in my bag for awhile to come!

My favorite quote so far:
"Research has shown that doodling in meetings actually helps you pay better attention, as it keeps your brain occupied just enough to keep you from daydreaming and missing the content of the meeting altogether. Thank goodness, you now have a scientific reason to doodle!" p. 92
Barbara Klaser
I love this book. I just received it yesterday and have already been through it once, done the first exercise, and can't wait to continue.

I'm not an artist, I'm a wannabe artist, and I am always getting ideas that I don't have the drawing ability to carry through, so this will be great exercise, and inspiring enough to get me practicing more regularly. Besides that, it's visually appealing and fun. I highly recommend this book.
Audra
This book offers lots of inspiration. I love the exercises she provides, suggested materials to use, as well as extension ideas to stretch yourself farther. I also like the many quotations from famous artists as well as biography and, sometimes, interviews with featured artists. I feel like the exercises in this book will stretch me beyond my comfort zone...which is good for growth.
Caitlin
Provided I can pay attention long enough to complete the exercises given, this book is extremely entertaining! There are step by step instructions for each of the 50 drawing techniques and each one is fun, straight-forward and provides and chance to use your imagination. This book provides a way to feed a dying muse or to try something new in a safe and comfortable atmosphere.
Shannon
I pored over the pages, reading some more than once. I have even done several of the exercises - some with my 6-year-old daughter. I loved this book! I would love to get one for Christmas. I still have it on loan from the library, but I would like to have this one in my permanent collection. Great book.
S. Renee
awesome book for anyone who wants to draw a bit-from the serious artist to the crafty to the doodler.... My son's school has cut their art program and I plan to use some of the exercises in this book with him-hoping he will love it too. I will be looking up other books in this series.
Cheryl
Jan 07, 2012 Cheryl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
There were several new and creative ideas I gleaned from this book. I am not a frequent draw-er so I appreciated the myriad of ideas and most of them were to help people like me---the non-expert! Got this book from my local library. Not sure I would pay the money to buy it.
Kate Davis
Lots of fun ways to loosen up about drawing and art-making! She really strives to make it about having fun while leaving our mark - and does a good job. Something I'll definitely need to dive into more when the rest of life is a little calmer.
L.a. Smith
I'm diving in to this book with the aim of improving my confidence with my own drawing skills. There are many great projects and suggestions. I think this one will become a go-to inspiration source for years to come.
Sylvia
I've checked this book out of the library twice. The exercises are great! I've never really made it through the second week, but I think I'd like to buy this book at some point, and then I can practice drawing.
Chelsea
Sep 14, 2013 Chelsea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Overall I enjoyed this book and found it to inspire me creatively. I love the exercises to get your creative juices flowing. I find my self practicing them during especially boring lectures at my school. haha
Recynd
I haven't gotten started DOING anything from this book yet, but myohmy...I can't wait!!! What gorgeous, exciting, and do-able projects/practice ideas...one of the few artbooks worth its weight in gold!
Abigail
Carla Sonheim provides a great collection of drawing exercises. Provide a great place to start for anyone looking for doodling ideas or how to take their drawing a step farther. I love this book.
R.L.
The drawings in this book are so whimsical and simple it just makes you want to grab a pad of paper and get busy. As an artist, I love books that spark my creative juices to get drawing.
Jenn
I'm still not convinced "mixed-media" is for me, but this book outlines a number of great ideas to get something on that paper and keep practicing.
Pascale
A surprisingly refreshing book about drawing techniques. In fact, the author covers everything that is possible to do within the context of drawing.
Wendy
Lots of great, inspiring exercises! Don't know that I will do all 52, but it's given me tons of ideas to try. (love the style of the examples, too.)
Tammy
"Love, love, love the style of this book - the line art is wonderful, whimsical, fun. It is a great resource of ideas for FUN, doodlicious drawing."
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Art Lab for Kids: 52 Creative Adventures in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Paper, and Mixed Media-For Budding Artists of All Ages
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals: A Mixed-Media Workshop with Carla Sonheim The Art of Silliness: Draw, Doodle, and Play for 10 Minutes a Day Creative Photography Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Exercises to Make Photography Fun Drawing Lab Kit: A Creative Kit to Make Drawing Fun Burst: Includes 40-page book packed with fun and silly drawing exercises! Creative Photography Lab: 52 Fun Exercises for Developing Self-Expression with Your Camera. Includes 6 Mixed-Media Projects