Start by marking “How I Helped O. J. Get Away with Murder: The Shocking Inside Story of Violence, Loyalty, Regret, and Remorse” as Want to Read:

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  42 reviews
You don't know the full truth about O. J. Simpson and the murders that gripped a nation. But Mike Gilbert does, and after nearly two decades of being O. J. Simpson's sports agent, business adviser, and trusted confidant, Gilbert is breaking his silence and telling the full story of the man he once idolized but now despises.
Audio
Published September 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How I Helped O. J. Get Away with Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Helped O. J. Get Away with Murder

Eric Bjerke
The most interesting thing about this book are the sections that describe how it was that O.J. was acquited of double murder when everyone in the world knew he did it except for the stupidest people on the face of this earth: that jury (and, it seemed by the coverage, some of the media).

He told how they had absolutely no case at all: The prosecution "had the motive, evidence, witnesses, and science on their side. We had nothing." He tells how, as someone who helped develop strategy and give advi...more
Liz
Reeeeeeeally not sure why I read this. Let's go with the "I'm a lawyer and am interested in all true crime stories" excuse. I'm glad I got this at the library and didn't spend any money on it. I need a shower.
Cindy
Nothing earthshattering is revealed. I found that the author was believable, but the nagging suspicion that he profited from the information shared was w/me the whole time I read. Gilbert does seem to be somewhat sorry for his actions & does admit what he did was tied to profit. The writing was fine. Gilbert's chapter on what he believed really happened to Ron Goldman & Nicole Brown Simpson didn't really hold any surprises, but I found the timelines & OJ's actions compelling. Mike Gi...more
Meowbie
Oct 03, 2011 Meowbie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with an interest in psychology
As someone who tried very hard to let the whole OJ trial circus pass him by back in the 90s, I felt I needed someone to give me a retrospective look on the whole thing, and especially to add some context and nuance. This book did it for me.

Mike Gilbert is particularly credible as the narrator of this version of events. He doesn't come out looking particularly noble, but he does seem human, as do all the people he talks about. In their idiosynchratic ways, each player in the OJ saga reveals their...more
Dionne
Aug 21, 2008 Dionne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the Simpson case
Shelves: true-crime
This is probably the best book I have read so far on the O.J. case. Mike Gilbert appears to be very genuine and remorseful for the part he played in aiding O.J. He offers unique insight into what really happened since he was so close to O.J. I highly recommend it if you have any interest in the case.
Lori Courville
Although this book is interesting it left me wondering if this was just another person jumping on the oj money train...was this written out of pure remorse and confession or because peaked curiosity equals money... I still don't know what to believe
Jodi
Very interesting insider take on how the Simpson case progressed the way it did - less about the courtroom, more about the personal aspects of it.
Betsy Willing
This book is pretty much like reading a very long tabloid article. While you will breeze through it in about a day, you will be left feeling pretty slimy in the end. It's good if you wanted an "inside" perspective on life with OJ pre and post the murders. At the end of the book I couldn't help but feel that this auther was a leech, who stayed with OJ for as long as he could possibly suck money from him, sacrificing his family and his virtue for the almighty dollar. You may be like me and also be...more
Again, just made me believe even more that he did it. What a sick man to help someone get away with murder.
Oct 25, 2013 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of true crime, those who want the inside track on the trial of the century
I read a lot of true crime. I always take what I read with a grain of salt, especially when I think the person writing it is just trying to capitalize on another person's misfortune. And most of the time, I can tell when the author has used a ghostwriter, which I feel takes away from the authenticity of the book.

This book, however, resonated strongly with me. I could feel the author's pain, his sorrow, and his ultimate guilt. He tells the inside story of what went on away from the eyes of the me...more
Ann Major
I enjoyed this book. It actually helped me process an event in my extended family. When something bad happens, family and friends close rank. They support people who do bad things because they love them and for all sorts of reasons. It is not a black and white process, and it can be disturbing on profound levels. OJ certainly was not all bad, but he was VERY bad on one night of his life. So, I found this author's perception of the various characters involved in this drama interesting.

We are all...more
Ellie Revert
Aug 09, 2008 Ellie Revert rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
The author truly does not care what any readers might think. He feels badly himself, not for his friendship with OJ, and how he continued that with the police and the trial, but his genuine disappointment that OJ seemed to do even worse things after he killed Nicole and Ron.

I am trying to understand this situation due to the death of a dear friend, whose husband served on this jury. And how the trial ruined their lives---not OJ's or his friends.
This seems to be taking me down a path that is ver...more
Koeeoaddi
Oct 26, 2013 Koeeoaddi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely nobody!
I picked this up at the library, but let's get this straight -- that's no excuse. There are so many things wrong with this book that IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO USE MY INDOOR VOICE. [Sorry] In fact, I can't think of any altruistic motive -- even cheerful, prurient curiosity -- that will wash away the taint of only a casual association with it.

I dutifully read about half the thing and there is nothing this guy says that isn't infuriating, obvious and about 14 years too late. Oh, did I tell you? A...more
Brooke romney
A little under a 4, but so intriguing. OJ's case was the first real news story I remember watching and wondering about as a kid, so to see the real insider details from a man who lived it all was much more interesting than I thought it would be...I couldn't believe how the lawyers and friends fabricated and lied enough to get OJ off. I couldn't wait to read it each night even though I knew the ending. I was shocked and saddened by who OJ really was but I found the honesty and regret Mike Gilbert...more
Teresa Kander
After listening to this book, I was even more disgusted than after listening to O.J.'s book. In this one, I found out a lot more about the volatility of O.J. and Nicole's relationship, as well as about the events that led up to the murders. I also learned why the gloves didn't fit during the trial (the author suggested that O.J. not take his arthritis medication). There were SO many disturbing revelations in this book, making me even more disgusted with the so-called "dream team" as well as O.J....more
John Darsey
Interesting look at the OJ story from the inner circle. I like that it leaves no doubt about his guilt! Wish it had an update to include his sentencing from the Vegas fiasco...
Stefanie
OK, so here I am slumming again, but I think I'm fairly human in being unable to turn away from a train wreck, no matter how old. This book, be it fact or fiction, provides what sounds to me like the most reasonable explanation for how things went down that night (with one exception). In any case, if you choose to believe the author, it's an interesting behind-the-scenes look at what was happening in OJ's inner circle before and after the murders. Proceeds from the book go to the March of Dimes...more
Karen E.
This book is written by OJ's former agent for promoting OJ sports memorabilia. He admits to being under the aura of OJ's charisma until just recently, when he decided that OJ was not worthy of his near worship of him. The revelation, he says, came from realizing that OJ doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself, and in particular, from seeing how he has little regard for his children. I consider this one of my "trash" reads --it's not good literature or even very good history, but it's f...more
Tina
Sad and somewhat interesting. I was expecting more insight as to why the author abetted OJ for such a long time, even going so far as making a suggestion that helped ensure the infamous gloves "didn't fit" and later helping him hide assets from the Goldman family. In the end, it seems like the author's admiration and belief in OJ just wore down. From Gilbert's perspective it would seem there was enough firm evidence to leave no doubt about OJ's guilt. An interesting read if you want insight into...more
Patricia Schumacher
Ever wonder why the glove did not fit? Remember the defense teams slogan "if the glove doesn't fit you must acquit". OJ's agent, Mike Gilbert, discloses this and many other smoke screens that the defense set up to help OJ get away with murder. This book was a good quick read.
Kristin
Complete page turner, from start to finish!
Naty
Although this book gives insight of how sick this whole process was. It really allows people to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I think a lot of people felt that justice was not done in this case and it was very interesting to read how the system was cheated. It also gives a great perspective on how many other people were impacted by this tragedy. If you're a fan of police shows like: Law and Order, CSI type shows, you will enjoy this book.
Kris
Terrible. Contrary to the title's suggestion, this book does not explain how he "helped OJ Get Away With Murder". It's basically a long rambling account of what Gilbert asserts happened which offers no factual evidence from the case. It is however interesting to hear an author who claims to be repentant speak flippantly about how he willingly assisted in diverting OJs money to avoid allowing it to go to the victim's families.
Mary Angel
While it's hard to describe this book as 'good' because 1) it's about someone getting away with murder, and 2) it really isn't all that well-written, I will say that it was an interesting read. I remember watching the trial daily on Court TV & watching the verdict on television. Reading his insider account of the case was very enlightening for me. I would recommend it to anyone who has interest in the case.
Vicky
A personal insite into the character of OJ Simpson...what most of us believed and is now confirmed. It was eye-opening at how our justice system can be manipulated by prejudice, power and personal agenda both on the side of the prosecution and the defense. What a tragedy which allowed a celebrity to brutally murder two people in a selfish rage just so the 'actors' involved could grandstand.
TB
I never followed the trial so this was interesting. Mike Gilbert seems a little sketchy to me. Although, his business IS making money it bothered me that he asked for O.J.'s suit and took a piece of carpet from 'Rockingham' for O.J. and himself. All in all it's good to cleanse the soul, and though it effects me in no way, I hope he's truly sorry.
SheinekenKforce.com
Interesting read

I'm not sure how much I can take for the truth or just glorified memories, but an interesting read nonetheless
Amy Pratt
Wow! This guy will have to carry some heavy guilt for the rest of his life, as he should. I don't judge...circumstances, fame and money make people do crazy things...once he came out of his fog of being O.J.'s b*tch, he realized he has some wrongs to make right - whether that can actually ever happen is the question.
Marsha
Jun 20, 2008 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like to read about the O.J. murders
Recommended to Marsha by: Saw book in used bookstore.
This book was interesting to me, mostly because I have read most of the books on the double murders from 14 years ago. This book is most updated and fills in some more new information. I recommend it for people interested in this O.J. stuff, and true crime.
Patti
For nearly 20 years, the author was O.J.'s sports agent, business advisor, and trusted confident. It was actually the author's memorabilia that OJ was after in Vegas. This book affirms that O.J. did indeed kill his ex-wife and Ron Goldman.
Microsoft Access 96: Developer's Handbook Access 97 Developer's Set [With (2) CDROM That Contain All the Sample Codes..] Managing Money for General Practitioners Down Styphon! A Musket and Pike Wargame Based on Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen Load Data for the .30-06 Cartridge (Kartridges for Kindle)

“American Tragedy: The Inside Story of the Simpson Defense,” 0 likes