Start by marking “Sophie Simon Solves Them All” as Want to Read:
Sophie Simon Solves Them All

Sophie Simon Solves Them All

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  53 reviews
For a third-grader, Sophie Simon is one smart cookie. She enjoys teaching herself advanced calculus and has performed successful heart surgery on an earthworm. She's also very clever when it comes to dealing with her clueless parents. But Sophie is no genius when it comes to calculating the high value of friendship--until, that is,she has to use her incredible IQ to help o...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Sophie Simon Solves Them All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sophie Simon Solves Them All

Jenn
Enjoyable, quick read. Lots of robust vocabulary.
Claire
Sophie is brilliant- stratospherically brilliant. In third grade, she is reading college texts-- her parents are clueless, her teacher is clueless, her classmates uninterested in and uninteresting to Sophie- all fine with her until she realizes that her calculus text is useless without a $100 graphing calculator.
Her classmates are having parent problems of their own and realize a brainiac like Sophie should be able to figure out how to help. Ever logical (a somewhat unappealing) Sophie has no i...more
Stephanie Croaning
Sophie Simon is a quirky, 3rd-grade genius. Sophie wants two things in life -- 1) a graphing calculator so she can teach herself calculus; and 2) for her parents to accept and feel proud of who she is. What Sophie doesn't think she needs are friends. In this tale of interwoven character lives, Lisa Graff reminds us that many times in life we have to rely on other people to accomplish our goals and solve problems that seem insurmountable on our own.

I read Graff's more recent TANGLE OF KNOTS befor...more
Cathy
This was an odd book. I got it as a read aloud for my 1st grade daughter. She LOVED this book. There were things I liked about this book - good writing, an unexpected story, a girl not afraid of being smart and exactly who she is - and things I didn't like about this book. The adults were cartoonish buffoons. The kids were, while not stereotypes, cartoonish as well. The story revolved around Sophie Simon, girl genius who would rather not relate to people, solving other kids' problems to secretly...more
Karen
Bev
This book is adorable and perfect for 3rd graders who are just starting to delve into longer chapter books. It just makes the required length of 100 pages! It's a fun, somewhat silly book, but it has a message of some depth underneath--parents should let children be who they are. We used it for a lunchtime book club and had fun with snacks that corresponded to the many endearments Sophie's parents use with her--everything from dill pickles to snickerdoodles! Lisa Graff seems to have her pulse on...more
Melissa
Sophie is a smart kiddo who sees the world a little differently than most of her peers. When her one goal can be accomplished by helping others meet theirs, Sophie finds out that it actually is nice to have friends after all. The story is funny with clever bits. I thought Sophie Simon's Encyclopedia of Things She Can't Believe You Don't Know Already was a fun conclusion. My only problem with the book was that absolutely every adult was baffoonish or out of touch with kids. Was that really necess...more
W.H. Beck
Sophie can't be bothered with things like friends. She's got more important things to think about--like complicated math equations. Only for the kind of math she's interested in, she needs a special graphing calculator: the Pembo Q-60, which costs $100. But when her classmates come to her hoping she can help solve their problems, Sophie just might find a way to get her calculator...and make a few friends along the way.

For fan of Lisa Graff( Umbrella Summer by Lisa Graff, The Thing About Georgie by Lisa Graff), mathletes, and any who feels like their loved one...more
Reader
I've always wanted to like Lisa Graff's books but none of them have really ever grabbed me. Until now. Sophie Simon is a uniquely self-interested genius who wants only one thing: a brand new graphing calculator. Trouble is, she has moron parents who would sooner drop dead than give her own. Meanwhile, three of Sophie's schoolmates have problems of their own. It's possible that if Sophie solves their problems, she'll be able to make enough for her calculator. What she doesn't count on is the poss...more
Susie
Have liked Graff's more recent books much better. This was too cartoonish for me. I think the different characters of Daisy, Sophie, and Julia might be a little confusing to students, especially since Sophie is the title character, but the book begins with Daisy.
Carolanne
A quick read for chapter book readers. Fun role reversal where the parents just want a 'well-adjusted' child and the child, Sophie, just wants to be left alone to study calculus.
Martha
Feb 08, 2014 Martha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Alice, Librariansteph, Marti, Elissa, Nadine
Sophie's giftedness is realistic portrayed as she cleverly tries to solve the problems of her classmates in a quest to earn enough money to buy a Pembo Q-60 calculator.
M.
Sophie Simon is VERY advanced academically for a 3rd grader. She loves calculus and psychology, but her parents want her to be "normal" and giggle with her friends; her teacher wants only rote compliance. Sophie wants a graphing calculator. In the course of the story, Sophie finds that some of her classmates have problems, too, problems that she can help solve. In the end, Sophie finds there is a place for her in school and and in life and that sometimes her classmates can help her to get her he...more
Fiona
Somewhat funny... The intended audience will enjoy it, I'm sure, and it's a quick little read.
Donna
This book won me over with its humor (a similar tone to the Mercy Watson books) and some puzzle solving that was just complicated enough to keep the reader's attention and yet not frustrate the intended age group. I appreciate that Lisa Graff created a character that is so resolutely into what she is into that her social life suffers. The vast majority of girl characters in books do not swing this way, and its good to see one that knows what she likes to do and is very smart. This has the making...more
The Library Lady
When all the grown up reviewers start going on about "cute" and "adorable" my alarm warning of approaching saccharine begins to beep. And sure enough, by the time I'd read the first chapter it was beeping loudly.
There are lots of jokes here for the grownups about helicopter parents, wrapped around a slight story about a kid who resembles Roald Dahl's Matilda in her genius. Only Matilda really WAS adorable and likeable, and Sophie isn't. And I'm not sure there's as much kid appeal here as there i...more
Gracie E.
Awesome I want to be like Sophie
Kris Patrick
What these characters call civil disobedience I call plain naughtiness. #bookaday
Dana *
Jan 18, 2011 Dana * rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: childrens, friendship
Shelves: childrens
A novel about independence and making friends, and figuring out how to help others.
Sophie is very smart, so smart that everybody makes fun of her and she has no friends. Her smarts make her the go-to person when a few kids have a dilemma that they need a way to solve. Sophie helps them all solve their problem, and one of her own at the same time.

But mainly, Sophie learns how to make friends, and what friends are all about.

Great story.
Tami
Accessible to slightly younger audience than her usual work. At times it tries a little too hard to be flippant or clever resulting in a condescending tone for adults & confusing one for kids.
Fun story with some highly desirable silliness and a satisfying conclusion. Interesting character & character growth in Sophie. I have used it with great success as a read-aloud choice in 3rd Grade.
Laura Salas
Amy
Cute book on an anti-social child prodigy. Pretty harmless for most parents but probably not one I'd let my kids read:(. Adults and/or teachers are depicted as dumb almost idiotic. It's done in a comical and silly way but does not encourage respectful behavior, particularly to your own parents or teacher. Cute book but kinda a bummer for me.
Amber Lineberry
I have the joy of working in an elementary school media center this year so am fitting in some of our sunshine state books and decided to start with this little gem! This book was really cute and shows how friends are important and can help each other out even when you least expect it! Is an excellent read for 3-5 graders!
Sydney
its about Sophie Simon really wants a new caculator,but her parents want her to have friends (because she didn't have any).Sophie ignores them and earns the money,but she still has to go to Oscar's birthday party.at the end she ends up not getting the caculator,and makes some friends.
Donalyn
Sophie Simon, the smartest girl in third grade (perhaps the world) wants a graphing calculator and for her parents to appreciate that she is smart. When she helps three classmates achieve their greatest dreams, Sophie gains new friendships and achieves a wish of her own.
Beth
Adorable story about a girl who values learning over friendship and how her life is impacted by the people who need her brains to help them with their problems. This was a short, enjoyable read.

This was an ARC received from the author for review on my blog.
Annie
Nice to see a "girl genius" for students of this age. This book is definitely intended for a high 2nd grader, 3rd grader - but I wonder if the content would be interesting to them?
Will definitely recommend this to my little guys and see what they think.
Karen Arendt
Such a fun story about a genius, Sophie, who only wants a graphing calculator and not friends. There are three students in her class who need help to solve their problems, problems only a genius can solve! Very humorous and full of genius skills!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Sophie wants a calculator. Owen wants a rabbit. Daisy doesn't want to be a ballerina. And Julie needs a spectacular story. A story of kids who find an unexpected solution to their problems and maybe a little friendship along the way.
Rebecca Berry
I really enjoyed this book and so did my students! It enabled them to make meaningful connections between characters and truly practice their inferencing skills through those relationships. Good Read!
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • Fortune's Magic Farm
  • President of the Whole Fifth Grade
  • Guinea Dog (Guinea Dog, #1)
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook
  • The Trouble With Chickens (J.J. Tully Mystery #1)
  • Neil Armstrong is My Uncle and Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me
  • The Fantastic Secret of Owen Jester
  • The Fast and the Furriest
  • Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
  • The Magical Ms. Plum
  • Aliens on Vacation
  • What Happened on Fox Street
  • Marty McGuire
  • The Year of the Book
  • The Adventures of Nanny Piggins
  • The Night Fairy
Umbrella Summer A Tangle of Knots The Thing about Georgie Absolutely Almost Double Dog Dare