King's Wrath (Valisar, #3)

King's Wrath (Valisar Trilogy #3)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  561 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The thrilling conclusion to the breathtaking saga of power, blood, birthright, and enchantment.

The barbarian King Loethar may have gained his throne through brutality and bloodshed, but he has ruled Penraven with unexpected wisdom. Now his innumerable past sins threaten his reign—as Valisars who escaped slaughter prepare to rise up. Loyalties shift and new alliances are fo...more
Published November 30th 2010 by Harper Voyager (first published January 1st 2010)

Sara
A thrilling end to what has been a fantastic series. I always enjoy Fiona McIntosh's work and this was no different, in fact, this series is her best yet.

A believable world, interesting characters of every shade of grey, and a plot that kept me guessing. My loyalties to the characters fluctuated throughout and yet I am left satisfied by the conclusion.

I only have two major critiques. The first of these is that the speed in which characters changed behind all recognition - especially Leo. It mad...more
Wirbowsky
As this is the final book of the Valisar trilogy, I have reread the two previous tomes before reading this one.

King's Wrath is the weakest of the three. I enjoyed most of it but suddenly it feels like McIntosh had to rush to finish the story.
Surely, the end is exactly like she had in her mind but it is not as well developed as the rest of the saga.

McIntosh is able to create very likable or hateable characters and make us witness their trials, errors, moral dilemmas, moment of happiness or sorrow...more
Danie Cutter
Great book in the usual tradition of McIntosh. However it seemed too much of a "answering" everything, maybe another book was needed to make it more of a story and less of an explanation. The wide and varied narrative of the previous two in the series set a precedent that the third book did not live up to.

Having said that it was entertaining and I will be buying the next series but maybe downgrade it to a "wait for the paperback".
Becky
A climatic end to the series. All the surviving characters from the previous books are drawn together to see who will end up ruling the Empire. Lots of loose ends tied up and a few surprises! If you like magic and suspense combined then go and start at the beginning of this series or even to the first of 12 books by Fiona which are set in the same fantasy world.
Swiftsea
Completely unbelievable an ending. Everything builds up then falls in patters, returning to solid ground. Without missing of course, Fiona Mcintosh's notable traits of almost-seeming worthless deaths. Moreover, the incredible bounds of magic that interplay, though striking and awe-inspiring, lead to the pointlessness of the magic existing in the first place.

I really dislike the mish-mash excuse they often place in fantasy stories. Where everything is because of a 'god' or 'goddess' decree. It's...more
Adam Bourke
In my experience of reading McIntosh's previous books, the endings have been fairly weak and anticlimactic. If it wasn't for the fact that the first two and a half books of her trilogies are generally extremely good then she wouldn't be one of my favourite authors. This series however, and particularly this book, was the exception. The majority of the series was, while still well-written, loose and unfocused. But the ending was possibly the most exciting one that McIntosh has written.

Unfortunate...more
Ruth
I'll start this out with a positive; despite not being too excited about the first 2 books in this series I kept reading because I wanted to find out what happened in the end, which is always a good thing. There were interesting plot points and enough of them to keep me guessing and I hate leaving a series unfinished. But I seriously considered just not bothering with this one. The main problem with the series and most particularly with King's Wrath is that I just could not care about the charac...more
Holly Anderson
Libby Lanser
May 25, 2012 Libby Lanser rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone needing a good medieval fantasy read
I'm going to give an overall review for the series here. So, spoiler alert most likely!

This was my first taste of Fionna's work and I have to say that I enjoyed. I am a sap for characters. I usually can always find one that I solidly love. Fionna gave me several to love. Some I came to hate and vice versa. While reading Wrath, I kept wondering if she really did do what she says her writing method is. No planning. Just writing. It felt planned and sometimes was easily predictable. She has an ease...more
Quigui
It was with some trepidation and apprehension that I approached the final instalment of the Valisar Trilogy. In the year that has passed since I read the second book of the series, I managed to read the Percheron Trilogy, and found it lacking in the ending department.

Much had happened already in last 2 books, and I was expecting another action filled story. There was a sense of finality to this book - all the players were known, they were all getting into position, showing their cards, all conve...more
Charly
A bit of a disappointing ending to what was an enjoyable series. The big secret of the Valisar magic was resolved in a trite way and a bit too much with the coupling up of the characters. I still liked the series, but just wish the ending had been a bit more sophisticated.
Alice Tsai
I absolutely LOVE this book, its ups and downs, its twist and turns, the whole lot! absolutely amazing!!! half way through the second book, i was sort of lost, didn know whether i'd like where the book was heading, but half way through this book, i couldnt stop myself! Love the De Vis brothers for their loyalty and sense of duty, love the outlaws and the barbarians...

I thought the book ended on a good note, although it was extrememly sad for Gav, but i liked it. It was touching and emotional......more
Christel Mirassou
Une fin de trilogie trop courte malgré un livre très épais, c'est dire à quel point j'ai aimé cette histoire. Vraiment Fiona McIntosh sait nous tenir en allène avec un récit écrit au cordeau. Rien n'ai laissé de côté, tout ce tient. Elle a même réussit un brillant renversement de situation ou le "méchant" devient le "gentil" et inversement, et tout ça se fait sans que l'on se pose de questions. Vraiment cette trilogie est extraordinaire et même, à mon avis, meilleure à la première. J'attends ave...more
Robin 55077
One thing that stands out most to me after reading King's Wrath is the fact that McIntosh took one of our most beloved characters from the middle book in the series, Leo, and revealed him as very unlikable in the final book of the trilogy. I absolutely loved it! I really enjoy when a writer surprises me and Fiona certainly delivered with King's Wrath. I really enjoyed the trilogy but thought she did a very nice job in the final book of not giving you quite the normal ending you usually get. Abso...more
Kaarina
What can I say? This was a great trilogy. Although, I must admit I didn't enjoy the final book as much as the previous two only because this was the conclusion of the story and the focus was on making all the pieces fall into place so it lacked the unpredictable chaos that I loved in the previous books.

I do think I enjoyed the Percheron series more because this ending was a bit too 'neat' and didn't make me the emotional wreck that took days to recover from like Percheron did. Nevertheless, I LO...more
Sandra O'Grady
OMG! I knew the 3rd book in the Valisar trilogy would be good, because I loved the pace and intricacy of the others, but this epic power struggle was mind blowing.
Friends turned to enemies, new alliances were formed and I was on the edge of my seat during the final battle. This was a fast-paced tale during which the characters developed so much that I couldn't help like some I'd previously hated. It was epic!
Nadia_nao
Last of the Valisar Trilogy... I must say, i love Fiona's books. However, i was a bit disappointed with the ending and how rushed it was.
The beginning was good and full of anticipation. But the further you read the more events keep pilling up then suddenly conclude in a single or two at most chapters !!!!
In any case, it's a good read and others may like the ending ^^
Lauren
This series was excellent. Fast paced storyline with so many secrets & lies! As a reader your perception was constantly challenged. I did feel this book came absolutley flying to its completion but most of the storylines were sorted out with room left for a continuing saga at a later time. I love Fiona McIntosh's writing style and this series was great!!!
Maaike
Overall the series were fun. There were mysteries, action and interesting characters (although there were all a bit too likable). However, this last book was very predictable and started to annoy me halfway through. All the storylines were wrapped up in a real convenient way and it became unbelieveble and boring.
Mona
Aug 26, 2012 Mona added it
An well-laid out book, as usual Fiona McIntosh delivers another book well worth the read. However unlike the previous books in this trilogy, King's Wrath is slightly lacking in plot. The pace of the book seemes somewhat rushed and the ending could have been improved on.
Kathy Henderson
My comment is about series the ages of pevin not consisted. Reuth clovis wife readmerging in story dies not add up her and clovis cannot have viisited pivehn at 10 year mark and still have lived at vested villiage for two years afters death and still be there
Danny
It had an interesting premise but I think ultimately it finished too quickly and the ending was too simplistic with no real insight as to why or knowing why, it just happened.
Dawn
I was a little disappointed in this book as the story line became a little too complicated, and I just loved the two books prior to this one.
Elizabeth Dellaportas
Great finish to an excellent series, I think the best yet from Fiona McInstosh. Looking forward to her stand alone single novel fantasy in 2012.
Erika
wow what a great ending. I love Fiona.
Louisa Anderson
Out of the 3 in the Trilogy this was my favourite
Kristin
Read from 11/24 - 11/28.
Inge Houwen
Inge Houwen is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
  • The Dark Divide (Rift Runners, #2)
  • Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)
  • The Alchemist's Key
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • Remember Me & The Return Part I  (Remember Me #1-2)
  • The Heart of Stars (Rhiannon's Ride #3)
  • Luck of the Wheels (Windsingers, #4)
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi...more
More about Fiona McIntosh...
Myrren's Gift (The Quickening, #1) Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3) Blood and Memory (The Quickening, #2) Royal Exile (Valisar, #1) Odalisque (Percheron, #1)