The Best Life Diet

The Best Life Diet

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  833 ratings  ·  113 reviews
From the bestselling author of "Get With the Program!" and "Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover" comes "The Best Life Diet, " a lifetime plan for losing weight and keeping it off. Bob Greene helped Oprah achieve her dramatic weight loss, and he can help you too. You'll eat the same delicious food that Oprah enjoys, and, just like Oprah, you'll have Bob to encourage you at eve...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Best Life Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Life Diet

E
Mar 15, 2007 E rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my worst enemy
oprah wrote the foreword...

let's see if this is any good

update- this book was very disappointing. it gave me ideas of two new recipes i want to try and that's pretty much it.

bob greene- i expected more from you!
Kat
I love this book! I have never been much interested in diets, having never enjoyed calorie counting or worrying about my body image. I was much happier to just cover the mirrors in my apartment and grit my teeth while buying clothes. However, after discovering this book my whole life was changed. Following this easy and realistic program I felt happier, healthier, and lost weight. The weight loss was just a perk. I was finally enjoying smiling at myself in the mirror, shopping for clothes, and w...more
Adrienna
Bob Greene challenges the person who's overweight or has emotional eating problems to not just concentrate on diet and exercise alone, neglecting the issues in your life that caused you to become overweight.

(1) What is happening in your life now
(2) Examine your motives
(3) Replay events of your past

Better knowledge of what's going on to help you succeed. Be honest and admit your personal weaknesses. (I wish I could figure it out to stop repeating weight loss and gain for the last 15+ years to ke...more
Vickie
I've skimmed through most of this book, and it is great. There is nothing earth-shattering here, but Greene emphasizes the most effective ways to lose the extra lbs and keep them off. I haven't yet read anything here that I didn't already know, but we all need to be reminded sometimes about how to live a healthy lifestyle. Greene makes some very interesting and insightful points about our eating vs. exercise habits, and suggests little things that you can do which, over time, can make a big diff...more
Amanda
I really like the realistic way that Bob Greene looks at dieting. I have been following Phase 1, and I have lost almost ten pounds. I am not an emotional eater, but I think it is great how he addresses the subject. I love the hungry scale and the food ideas. I am not sure how realistic it would be to follow phase 3 for life, but I am going to try to take on a lot of these ideas into my diet for the long term.
Monique
Not impressed...very few pictures and information about cooks around the country didn't help me live my best life. They get paid to cook...I pay good money to buy stuff from the store to cook. That is why I read this cookbook - to find quick, delicious and nutritious meals. Didn't quite hit the mark for this mom-in-chief-cook...I ain't got time for all this.
Anna
I thought that there was too much of a focus on weight loss rather than on healthy eating and life style. I did like the some of the tips on healthier breakfasts and snacks, but otherwise I thought most of the ideas would be unsustainable in the long term.
I have some big issues with this book. While I think that Greene's basic ideas are good, and he advocates a lifestyle change, not a diet, the fact that there are "Best Life" endorsed foods like Slim-Fast shakes bothers me. I didn't finish the book all the way because frankly, his credibility was kind of shot for me after seeing all the highly- processed foods that were "Best Life" endorsed. There are some good recipes in here, and I like that Greene stresses that in order to make eating healthy...more
Amycakes
Mar 01, 2011 Amycakes is currently reading it
I am currently following this books guidelines (for the most part) and I am beginning to see results. The thing I love about this book is that it is extremely easy to follow and I haven't felt deprived at all. Most "diets" I fall off the wagon right away, but now the foods that I have eliminated from my diet I'm not even craving anymore. For instance, soda, even diet soda, which is what I was drinking, I am finding I have no need for any longer. Extremely surprising is alcohol. Before, I would w...more
Molly
This book reinforced the early steps that I was taking and helped provide a fairly simple process for changing habits for the better for good.

I had been exercising for about 3 months without any noticible change. I had no idea about proper nutrition or portions, etc.

I saw Bob Greene on Oprah and was intrigued by the system he put in place to use his Best Life stamp on existing, real products people actually see in the grocery store. It makes shopping easier and when I started to follow the steps...more
Ellen
The author really annoyed the snot out of me, especially with his incessant references to his website (which you have to pay for in order to use) and his personal eating habits.

That all being said, his overall diet strategy is pretty good (it is not a diet but a lifestyle). I really like that he takes into account different levels of calorie intake and gives options for this in his meal plans. Plus, some of his recipes actually sound pretty good. If I were to actually try to follow this diet, I...more
Christy
i really love reading diet books, maybe it has to do with college studies. anyway....i was really pleased with this diet book. bob greene was very factual, realistic and interesting to read. i really liked that he emphasized that changing your diet isn't easy and that things need to change slowly in order to stick. i really appreciated how well he explained the dieting process and what happens within your body in a way that any one would be able to understand. I liked that he was realistic about...more
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Mar 31, 2009 Shellie (Layers of Thought) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people wanting to eat healthy and consciously
This cookbook has quite a few simple, realistic, easy to prepare - low cal/low carb recipes that I will probably use. The recipes use ingredients that are available which can be tough with some diet modification books. Theres a section for just vegitarians. He suggests what to look for when purchasing food to be environmentally and ethically sane. As well he has a bunch of star chefs contributing recipes at the end of the book.
Update - I have since tried several of the recipes and have found tha...more
Bree
This book is fascinating in its approach to nutrition and fitness. Despite his Oprah connection, Bob Greene stands out on his own for emphasizing exercise and holistic nutrition. Baby steps to a healthier life is really his mantra. I've since finished this book, and felt that it was interesting but not earth-shattering. It lead me in search for more information in holistic nutrition. I've since read a few different books on the general topic and found that I was more inspired by them. My favorit...more
Kristin
Really sensible information about good health in general, the process of aging, being active and trying to eat for optimum health - I really am enjoying it! The author eases you into the lifestyle change though phases, changing snacking habits, increasing movement in your life. Nothing new or groundbreaking, but presented in an informative yet motivating way by the author. I can't give it the full five stars as it's rather commercial, referring several times to the authors website, and informati...more
Steven Peterson
This is a good cookbook, with a number of simple to make recipes (e.g., Marinated mushrooms is about as easy a dish to make as there is). The focus is good tasting and healthy recipes.

The end of the volume features useful information, such as recipes from well known chefs, meal plans, basic recipes (such as stock), and cooking/preparation techniques.

Recipes, of course, are the centerpiece for any cookbook. This is filled with good recipes, including vegetarian dishes.

Overall, a good addition to...more
Emily
Appears to be pretty close to what my nutritionist is starting me with.
Amy Binkerd
Just finished reading this. Looked over the meal plans and recipes. Surprisingly, this seems very do-able! I picked this book up (mostly because it was on the bargain book table) but also because I recently lost 16 pounds and want to keep it off. During the process of losing the weight I found that I now view food differently, so I think I am more open to following the guidelines set out in the book. I am excited to see where this takes me!
Emily
I read this book as I like to gain insight about what is out there so I can recommend books to my clients. In my opinion this is one of the best books out there in the genre as the philosophy behind it is that of making a change of lifestyle for good, not just until you loose a certain amount of weight. It also addresses emotional eating which is a major issue when it comes to losing weight and keeping it off.
Colleen
In his Best Life Diet book Bob Greene offers solid advice that deep down we all know is the best way to approach dieting. There is nothing earth shattering in this book except for his level by level approach. I enjoyed the way he started the diet off gradually - unlike most diets where its a huge leap that leads to failure. There is also a recipe sections with some great ideas!
Sarah Raymer
I read this hoping it would be a good book to suggest to my personal training clients and I was not disappointed. Although I don't agree with Greene on every dietary change he recommends, it's a great place to start when looking to change how you eat for better health. It's a book about creating healthy habits for the rest of your life, which is a focus I can really support.
Pollie
I did a Diet Face for LiveStrong and I was assigned to the Best Life Diet Group. I had the original book from when I worked at Duke and Bob Green came to visit and gave out free copies.

This was not the book for me. Fortunately, I friend gave me Slim For Life for my birthday. This was a book I could used. Great recipes and information I can mix and match as needed.
Amber
A great book for someone that wants the basics to losing weights and nutrition. Easy to follow, clear explanations and ease of use. For those that are well versed in health there is little new knowledge, but some great sounding recipes. Great for beginners, but redundant for those that are already pretty knowledgeable about weight loss and healthy lifestyles.
Nikki
I love Bob Green and his ability to take exercise science and make it fun, interesting, and do-able. Although I didn't follow it step-by-step, I felt like I naturally followed its progression over the last year as I've begun to get back in shape after baby number 5. I love the challenge of kicking it up a notch, and loved the recipe ideas for leaner cooking.
Marna
This is outstanding and straight forward. We are fat for many reasons but the two #1 reasons. We eat too much and don't exercise enough.

If there's one thing I got out of Bob's books -- it's simple math. If you take in more than what you burn you become like this: ( ) If you burn more than you take in you become more this this: ()

Jessica Buike
I really liked this book, considering that it was a diet book! The information and diet is structured so that you understand each step, and it is common sense enough that you don't have crazy restrictions. It wasn't quite structured enough for me so I ended up doing Weight Watchers anyway, but I still think it started me down a path to good overall health.
Amy
This approach to healthy eating made a lot of sense to me. I hope to incorporate the ideas and a lot of the recipes into my everyday life. I LOVE the smoothie recipes - I'm addicted to them now! The one thing that kept me from actually following the diet religiously was the absolutely no alcohol for at least the first two months.
Bekah
I like how much information is in this book. I also like that he is trying to get you focused on healthy eating and not just an on agien-off agien diet plan. Right now I am doing phase one and reading about phase two and I'm surprised about how much information is in it about how our body works. It's really interesting.
Konnie
I like this cookbook. I would have liked it much more with some colored photo's. I have to say my favorite section is the "Family Friendly Menu's". There are 2 weeks of healthy and kid friendly meals and snacks. We have to omit all peanut related snacks but overall the ideas are fabulous! I see myself using this cookbook a lot!
Jenny
Jul 12, 2007 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: health conscious
Again, Oprah and her people make my day!

In my quest to work on my health, get fit and loose weight, I found this book filled with useful information. Bob Greene is very realistic on lifestyle changes and reminds us that the only changes that work are ones that are subtle and sustained for the long haul.

• You: On a Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management
  • The South Beach Diet Cookbook: More than 200 Delicious Recipes That Fit the Nation's Top Diet
  • Now Eat This!: 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods, All Under 350 Calories
  • The 17 Day Diet: A Doctor's Plan Designed for Rapid Results
  • Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide
  • The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics
  • The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change
  • Rachael Ray's Look + Cook
  • The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook: Great-Tasting Recipes that Keep You Lean!
  • The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook
  • Cooking
  • The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The Beck Diet Solution
  • Cook Yourself Thin: Skinny Meals You Can Make in Minutes
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
Bob Greene is a personal trainer who writes on health and weight loss. He works and writes with Oprah Winfrey.

More about Bob Greene...
Make The Connection: 10 Steps To A Better Body   And A Better Life 20 Years Younger: Look Younger, Feel Younger, Be Younger! Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover Get with the Program!: Getting Real About Your Weight, Health, and Emotional Well-Being The Life You Want: Get Motivated, Lose Weight, and Be Happy