Start by marking “The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)

The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)

One Man’s Obsession…
Pharmacy clerk William Dremmel is hooked—on drugging pretty young women and lulling them into slow, blissfully quiet deaths. Then he packs his victims in luggage—a nod to the cops that he works alone. Dremmel’s no fool, he’s also a college professor. He just likes using his intellect for darker purposes….

Is Another Man’s Anguish…
Haunted by his own daugh
Published April 1st 2010 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Woman

Krystl Louwagie
I started this book with low hopes-yes, another free Kindle book (well, I've actually had fairly good luck with them) but I've had bad luck with murder mystery/cop detective stories-I'm usually not too impressed/entertained by them. And while this book didn't seem exceptional, it did keep my interest. I enjoyed reading it-and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe the writing and characterization was better than other ones of the genre I've read? Or maybe I just love my Kindle so much, I enjoy ...more
Lance
Sep 08, 2012 Lance rated it it was amazing
A Perfect Woman is a story of the hunt for a serial killer who uses young petite women as "subjects"in his experiments of finding the perfect mix of prescription drigs to keep them lucid but not fully functioning. If a subject doesn't make it through a trial she is stuffed into a suitcase after dying. The title is derived when the killer believes he has found the "perfect woman" for his experiments.

Enter detective John Stallings who is fighting his demons from when his older daughter disappeared
Kate Bowyer
Apr 30, 2011 Kate Bowyer rated it it was ok
I don't read a lot of books in this genre but love reading all types so thought I'd give it a go. For me the book was predictable and repeated itself way too much. It was not a hard story line to follow so I'm not sure why they kept repeating different parts of it. I would not recommend the book I'm sorry to say. I did finish it though it's only because I have this thing where I need finish any book I start.
Denise Stavis
Dec 03, 2016 Denise Stavis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Characters are believable, Like the family story line and the angst. Strong woman characters with un foretold stories. Suspenseful. Easy read.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Nov 10, 2011 Linda Branham Greenwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
I generally like police procedurals and this one was ok - but not one of my favorites.
I liked the police officer John Stallings character, The author did a really good job of "fleshing" out the character and why he was the way he was. Tony - the other detective who was a narcissistic and obnoxious jerk turned out to be not so bad after all. I really liked that. Making Tony a one dimensional, typical big-headed cop would have been the easy way out but author didn't take it. You actually end up l
Lizz
Mar 11, 2011 Lizz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book may have been free, or close to it, on Kindle. I was interested because it's set here in Jacksonville (go figure, who puts a book in Jacksonville??) It was pretty good actually, and interesting in that from the first page you knew who the killer was and what he was thinking. I did have a few nits to pick with it. First of all, MUST we refer to the police as the po-po? Second, we KNOW that Mazetti and Hoagie are partners. You do NOT need to point this out every single time you ...more
Madelon
Jan 07, 2011 Madelon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
THE PERFECT WOMAN is not a perfect book. It had the potential to be a real nail biter but somehow it fell short. I really love it when I get to the end of a book and I scream in my mind, "No, not over, more, more, more!" because I got so caught up in the story. A book like that has answered most of the important questions and the desire for more is really quite satisfying.

I put this book aside wanting more because the answers to the problems were too nebulous. Without giving the story away, it s
David MacTavish
Jan 24, 2011 David MacTavish rated it did not like it
A light read. It was ok, I bought it because it was cheap on Kindle, and I think it is only published electronically, and I was curious about that. The author is clearly trying to have interesting characters, but they come off a bit shallow. Storyline is not quite believable. Author uses a technique of backing up in time (just a few minutes) and retelling the scene from a different character's point of view. Neat idea, but given the shallowness and overall "lightness" of the writing, it doesn't ...more
Eileen
Feb 22, 2011 Eileen rated it really liked it
I liked the author's descriptive style, and the story was compelling enough for me to want to speed to the end and see how it all wrapped up. The perspective of the killer, while not new in this genre, was well done. My one gripe is that, at the end, one primary character suddenly acts way out of character. It was necessary for the ending, and I get that, but I wished the transformation was more gradual. I'll agree with another reader's assessment that it started slow, but it really was a good ...more
Kristen M
Mar 07, 2015 Kristen M rated it liked it
I stumbled upon this book at the Dollar store. It sparked my curiosity, so how could I pass it up for $1.00. I must admit, I actually enjoyed reading it. It was surprisingly refreshing to read something easy and uncomplicated for a change. The characters are well developed and the suspense is remarkably realistic. I don't usually buy mass media fiction unless I'm fresh out of other fiction, but I admit I will read the three other books Andrus wrote. John Stallings sparked my interest.
Tamera
I liked this book. Part of my enjoyment was the setting - I don't think I have read a book actually located where I live and it was neat to able to identify with the city. I felt like the author gave a good feel for the city and the work involved in police detecting. It was told in multiple viewpoints (several detectives, antagonist, victims) and the ending lead me to believe it might be a series.
Space
Apr 10, 2013 Space rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
I liked in this one how the author skipped around in people's heads and let you know what each one was thinking. It was a little odd being inside a psychopath's head, but it made the story that much more creepy. I also thought the scenery was fantastic. When he made his first kill it was just chilling.

Anyway, I don't normally like cop/detective novels, but this was pretty good. I might check out the next installment. I'm interested to see if the narrator ever finds his lost daughter.
Sue
Oct 30, 2013 Sue rated it did not like it
Shelves: aarf-yuck-ugh
I can see the story had potential but it was extremely infuriating to have to read the name Stallings or Mazzetti over and over and over -- 1-5+ times PER PAGE. Come on! Those names ruined it . . . burned it out.

Hint for sequels: don't burn us out with so many "Stallings," "Mazzettis" and/or "Patty Levine" and "William Dremmel."

Poor writing, dude. Need to learn how it's done.
Marianne Stehr
Feb 03, 2011 Marianne Stehr rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this new series. I read the books intially out of order and had to go back and read the first. This is a great book that shows real police work, has some good thrills, alot of mystery and characters that are less than perfect but feel real. I am hoping for a third int his series.
Brandon
I really liked the characters in this book, especially the lead character, and the theme of family/missing girls. The only thing I didn't care for was that the first half of the story sagged considerably, leading me to put it down after a chapter or so whenever I picked it up again. I did read the second half in one sitting. Overall a good story, and I might try another of this author's works.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: John Stallings (first in series); a cop whose daughter disappeared some time ago and who has been trying to offset his loss by working with other runaways, is pulled back into homicide when the victims turn out to be girls who have left home looking for something better - and been murdered by someone who first experiments on them
Feb 28, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
This was a Kindle freebie and I'm not sure I would pay for it or am in any hurry to see if there are anymore by this author. It was OK, I used it as my gym read so it took me a fair while to read, and I admit that this may have spoiled my enjoyment of it - I may have fared better if I'd given it more time!
Kendra
Jul 23, 2011 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery is only average, but I truly loved Stallings. I wouldn't mind reading another one in the series to find out more about him, and see him operate. Didn't care much about any other person in the story, though.
Amitanshu Mishra
Apr 16, 2015 Amitanshu Mishra rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
A balanced plot which moved at a nice pace! Characters are well drawn out. Only complaint is that the story could have been more intriguing. Half way through the book, you realise that the villain is vain about himself and makes callous mistakes, making the end predictable and very easy.
Kathleen
Jan 02, 2011 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
pretty good mystery/suspense/cop story. leaves the door open for a sequel, so maybe there is more coming! i'd read a sequel, the story was gripping enough to leave me wanting to see more of the characters.
Lynn Demsky
Jun 21, 2012 Lynn Demsky rated it it was amazing
Very good read, caught my interest from page one and kept going through the whole book. Hard to believe what people are capable of, how they feel and how they manage their lives. Will look for more by James Andrus!
Kim Mead
Jan 21, 2014 Kim Mead rated it really liked it
A little tedious at the end, but I couldn't put it down. My only complaint is it could have been a little more suspenseful, you know who the killer is the whole time and could see what was going to happen. Otherwise it was a great story.
Rumeur
Oct 29, 2014 Rumeur rated it liked it
At first I almost didn't finish this book. I had read over 100 pages but was determined to give this book a chance since I have another in this series to read. I'm glad I finished it and will def read the next book and will also look for other 2 after that. It grabbed my attention eventually
Lisa Paterson
Jan 12, 2011 Lisa Paterson rated it liked it
This book was okay... Again, downloaded for free on my Kindle, which you'll see often in my reviews. Based on the way the characters are written, I think there were other books before this one but I haven't checked yet. Not sure if it's worth reading the others based on this one.
Kathy
Apr 28, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it
my first James Andrus novel. Very impressed, it was a free Kindle find and it kept me at the edge of my seat, James Patterson style. The who done it keeps you guessing right till the end of the book.....a definite must read!
Eric
May 15, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It's a detective story set in Jacksonville, Florida. A serial killer is on the loose. A former homicide detective who now works missing persons after his own daughter ran away and disappeared gets called in to help.
Jan
Mar 02, 2011 Jan rated it it was amazing
I was pleasently surprised to find out this was set in Jacksonville, Fla where I lived back in the late 70s as a Navy wife so I am able to picture the background scenery in my mind very well. Had a hard time putting the book down!
Jan 05, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
This book was ok, but it spent too much time on the little things. It kept my attention, but I found myself only skimming the pages and not reading all the details.
Tammy
Oct 26, 2010 Tammy rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It kept my attention throughout. I like that it was not far fetched and believable.
Dina Van
Feb 01, 2014 Dina Van rated it it was amazing
Disturbing in some areas but highly suspenseful. Could not put it down. Will read more by this author for sure!
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • Silent Screams
  • Blood of the Wicked (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #1)
  • The Cruelest Cut
  • The Sculptor (Sam Markham, #1)
  • Sweetie
  • The Pursuit of Pleasure (Dartmouth Brides, #1)
  • Mania
  • Crossing the Line
  • The Justice Game
  • Mourn The Living
  • Triple Exposure
  • While Galileo Preys (Esme Stuart #1)
  • A Little Death in Dixie (Detective Billy Able, #1)
  • Get Some
  • Rough Cut (Black and White Collection, #3)
  • Conspiracy in Kiev (The Russian Trilogy #1)
James Andrus is a career law enforcement officer who still works major investigations. He has been involved in real serial crime cases, which formed the basis for some of this novel. He has been featured on network news shows and been recognized for his law enforcement achievements. Andrus lives in the Southeast United States with his family, dividing his time between police work and writing.
More about James Andrus...

Detective John Stallings (4 books)
  • The Perfect Prey (Detective John Stallings #2)
  • The Perfect Death (Detective John Stallings #3)
  • The Perfect Scream  (Detective John Stallings #4)