Start by marking “Competent to Counsel: Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling” as Want to Read:
Competent to Counsel: Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling

Competent to Counsel: Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  705 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A Classic in the Field of Christian Counseling Competent to Counsel has helped thousands of pastors, students, laypersons, and Christian counselors develop both a general approach to Christian counseling and a specific response to particular problems. Using biblically directed discussion, nouthetic counseling works by means of the Holy Spirit to bring about change in the p ...more
Published June 20th 1986 by Zondervan (first published May 28th 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Competent to Counsel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Competent to Counsel

Rock Rockwell
Nouthetic counseling training for laymen or pastors who have not been trained in this type of counseling. Bottom line: 1. Person communicates their problem; 2. You find the verse in the Bible to fix/address their problem/situation; 3. They repent/obey/agree/etc. to that Scripture and they are healed/fixed (OR) they reject/disobey/disagree/etc. to that Scripture and they are not healed.

The mindset is good for basing counseling on biblical principles, but it does not deal with people holistically
Buddy
Guess what? It wasn't that bad. I thought that Jay Adams did a good job of identifying some downfalls of modern psychology and mental health, mainly that too much emphasis is placed on the organic side of mental illness and not enough is given to personal responsibility. He also has some pretty practical ideas that can be utilized in a counseling setting. However, I did have some criticisms of the book. Adams seems to paint all of secular counseling with a broad stroke, and it is not very favora ...more
Terry Morgan
I loved the first chapter of this book, but hated the rest. I found myself yelling (yes out loud) at the book as I was reading it. I have rarely seen a book start out so good, and so quickly become really bad.

Reading this book was part of a homework assignment in school. If I didn't have to finish reading it for the class, I very likely would not have finished it.
Jacob Aitken
One needs to steer a middle path in Adams. Contra to modern psychology, people are often screwed up because they really *are* in sin. Sin has consequences. It *does* darken one's judgment and the more one sins, the less like the image of god he reflects. This is Romans 1 plain and simple. No Christian can seriously dispute this.

What doesn't follow, however, is Adams' assertion that one is depressed *because* one is currently in rebellious, unrepentant sin. Here is an easy counter-example: when m
Larry
all of jay adams' works are biblically, psychologically, and scientifically inept, wrong-headed, filled with bad theology and scientific error; in short, they are terrible.
CJ Bowen
A landmark in biblical counseling for good reason. Adams is at his best when dissecting alternative systems, and comparing them to the Bible. He shows that neither Rogerian nor Freudian methods think of man in anything like the way the Bible does, and thus their methods and goals are quite different from those of Scripture. Careful listening followed by direct, pointed application of Scripture is the heart of nouthetic counseling. When he defines the goal of the umbrella of nouthetic counseling ...more
Michael Jones
I read this in 2000 and it has a rather tight shoed Puritan approach to life. As a Minister, I don't see it as my duty to pry too deeply into people's sins and difficulties, but rather simply to pray and trust God and let them know that they have a friend in me and in Jesus.

When I give a sermon, if something in the Bible helps the person to see their sins and things they need to work through, that's between the Holy Spirit and the person. But I would not tend to become overly heavy in this type
Katie
I found this material to be very legalistic and simplistic. Adams makes a good point that we need to address sin and hold our fellow brothers and sisters accountable. However, he fails to recognize the value of psychotherapy. This book is an outdated account of what psychotherapy is and represents.
Samantha
This is a pathetic attempt on the part of Jay Adams to take counseling captive and hold it hostage in the church setting at the expense of all other psychological interventions. Although I am a proponent of church-based counseling, I believe that church counselors should at least have an undergraduate degree in psychology and a graduate degree rich in both psychology and theology. One must also be willing to refer outside the church for individuals who require more thorough psychiatric evaluatio ...more
Isaiah Jesch
I read this book prior to taking my courses on counseling and psychology in my undergraduate work, but I found this to still be more insightful and beneficial than the books I read for those courses. I plan to keep this book as a resource for counseling in the future.
Michael
This was pretty good. I appreciate that he covers what is wrong with psychology and secular forms of counseling. I have read a couple of books on counseling and can see that most of the current writers on the subject, owe much to Adams and this volume.

I liked its strong emphasis on communication, caring, group/family counseling, behavior and the fact that sin reaches into every aspect of our lives and shapes our thinking and doing. It therefor needs to be addressed, sought out, crushed and turn
Jake
Good stuff. I've probably been somewhat exposed to this type of thinking for many, many years, so while it wasn't new to me at this point, it was very good and was interesting hearing the history of how it came to be, too.
Kevin Lewis
Excellent book to expose one to biblical counseling principles. Great resource to return to again and again.
Bruce
As a new asst pastor I had little clue how to give counsel since all I had in Bible school was Psych 101 and an exposure to Christianized behaviorism models. Some one tuned me into Adams and his then novel idea that the Scriptures were sufficient to give counsel assuming one knew them and how to apply them. It was Jay Adams and Ed Buckley who inspired me become a certified biblical counselor. Competent to Counsel is a classic work as well as a pioneering work.
Tim Miller
Apr 01, 2010 Tim Miller rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Christians
This book did a tremendous job at showing the biblical view of counseling and the fact that every christian is capable of counseling. It seeks to directly handle the problem (sin) in a persons life. It shows that we are to address christians as Christ and the bible instructs us to do so. I would recommend this book to any Christian who takes their faith seriously and wishes to live a life serving others and God.
Rich
Remember it is the Lord, the Comforter's, the Counselor's job to change people and transform them, we simply get the joyous task of being used to that end, as we seek to faithfully handle the Word of God.
It does not come by man, nor some pseudo - counseling progam, but according to the Word of God.
Alma Santana
Feb 12, 2008 Alma Santana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alma by: Dan
This book is good and those who appreciate psychology will find it more interesting. I usually only read books that are highly recommended because my time is very valueable. I could have gotten more out of this book but lack of my phsyc. knowledge made impatient.
Tiffany
I read this for a class in high school, and now I'm reading it again for my counseling certification...kind of dry, but good...I hate reading dry books twice; wish me luck!
Camille K.
A useful glimpse at conservative Evangelical reaction to American culture from the 1970s. It's more a primary text as the world into which I was born.
Elizabeth
It has some very good points to make about using the scriptures to counsel people. However, I would not use this as my only source for helping people.
Danny Gugger
A classic text-book style. Very informative. It's an older work and much has changed since Adams roamed the earth, so keep that in mind.
Emily
An amazing start to beginning counseling. This and scripture are all that's needed with a counselee.
Chuck
THE classic introduction to biblical counseling. Do not skip this in your reading on the subject.
Steve Newman
The first and still best...
Jay Adams is the Godfather of true Christian counseling!
Opa
With this book and the Bible, you are competent to counsel anyone.
Shelley
Fantastic resource for Biblical Counselors!
Gwen Burrow
Solid, as I recall. Need to tackle this again.
Dwight
Excellent every helper must read!
Caleb Warren
Excellent book on counseling!
Mark
the best i've read so far in the field of biblical counseling
  • Counseling: How to Counsel Biblically (MacArthur Pastor's Library)
  • Blame It on the Brain: Distinguishing Chemical Imbalances, Brain Disorders, and Disobedience
  • Seeing with New Eyes: Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture
  • Strengthening Your Marriage
  • War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles
  • The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict
  • How People Change
  • Counsel from the Cross: Connecting Broken People to the Love of Christ
  • The Heart of Anger: Practical Help for Prevention and Cure of Anger in Children
  • The Enemy Within: Straight Talk about the Power and Defeat of Sin
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • The Practice of Godliness
  • Cross Talk: Where Life and Scripture Meet
  • Reforming Marriage
  • Christians Get Depressed Too: Hope and Help for Depressed People
  • Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life
Also known as Jay Edward Adams
More about Jay E. Adams...
The Christian Counselor's Manual: The Practice of Nouthetic Counseling Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage in the Bible: A Fresh Look at What Scripture Teaches How to Help People Change: The Four-Step Biblical Process Christian Living in the Home A Theology of Christian Counseling: More Than Redemption