Start by marking “The Nizam's Daughters (Matthew Hervey, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Nizam's Daughters (Matthew Hervey, #2)

The Nizam's Daughters (Matthew Hervey #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  12 reviews
India, 1816

Fresh from the field of Waterloo, Matthew Hervey is dispatched on a mission of the utmost secrecy.

Leaving behind his fiancée, Lady Henrietta Lindsey, he must journey across tempestuous seas to India, an alien, exotic and beguiling land that will test his mettle to the very limit.

For the princely state of Chintal is threatened both by intrigue from within and mi
Paperback
Published March 1st 2001 by Bantam (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Nizam's Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nizam's Daughters

Brian
This is one of a series about Matthew Hervey, a British Cavalry Officer in the post-Waterloo era. (You need to start with A Close Run Thing.)

Allan Mallinson is a retired senior cavalry officer, and he clearly knows a lot about horses. (Mind you, given that I know SFA about the subject I am easily impressed.) At times the horsy details become a bit much for me, but your mileage may differ.

This particular book is mainly set in India, and there's quite a lot of intrigue and some exciting battle sce
Jeffrey
I have really come to love novels about Napoleonic Era British soldiers and sailors. Horatio Hornblower, Richard Sharpe, and Jack Aubrey have all pleasantly gobbled up hours of my reading time.Allan Mallinson's Matthew Hervey has now made his way into that list. A Close Run Thing introduces readers to Matthew Hervey in the months prior to and during the battle of Waterloo. His adventure continues in The Nizam's Daughters (Also entitled Honorable Company in some versions).

This book takes Hervey t
Johnny
Originally published in hardbound as Honourable Company, this novel is now known by the nickname given to the formidable cannonry of the enemy in this novel. Continuing the adventures of a British cavalry officer as the Napoleonic Era comes to a close, this series does not depict the "typical" military protagonist of this or any other era.

The average military hero is a confident, capable male who is so irresistible to women that he beds them almost more as a personal favor than to fulfill his ow
jallioop
Jan 23, 2011 jallioop added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Gave up on this one, didn't finish. First in the series was so-so, but I wanted to try one more before making a decision on the series. This book had many Indian terms and would have benefitted from a dictionary at the back. Most of the time I had trouble figuring out what Hervey or the other characters were talking about. I also grew annoyed at the explanations of Indian history and geography, which the author had various characters provide, but which seemed more like he was just providing ever ...more
TheIron Paw
A top notch historical novel. The military aspects of this novel are a worthwhile read, however it is the image of pre-Raj India that is the most valuable aspect of this novel. Mallinson has gone to great pains to portray India as seen through British eyes at the time (we so often misunderstand historical events because we view them from the perspective of our times). This historical perspective of India is provide within an excellent story of political intrigue, heroic adventures, a touch of ...more
Birgitta Hoffmann
I think I will not return to this series. I was originally attracted to it, as it is written by a retired cavalry officer and I was looking into some informal insights on cavalry 'thinking'.
Unfortunately, while his account of Waterloo was OK, this volume set in India really showed up the weaknesses of Allan Mallinson's craft, or perhaps, I had just read too many of the books, he cites as his sources of information. Thus, over long passages, while desperately waiting for a development in the nar
Billy Morris
I always have a problem with this book. While the setting and action are among the best Mallinson has done in the series I always find this book a little alienating. It took me awhile to figure it out but his books suffer when Mallinson separates his protagonist from the Sixth Light Dragoons. I always appreciate the care and attention that Mallinson gives to being in a Napoleonic cavalry regiment, which is almost completely lacking in this book. Yet as I said it contains some of the best action ...more
Sridhar
Loved the description of the parts of Andhra Pradesh & Tamilnadu as they existed during the colinial times. Also it is interesting to learn the impressions the Colonila rulers had about the various parts of the country (India) and people from the various parts of the country. Loved the style of writing and description of the battle scenes. All in all thoroughly enjoyed listening(Audio book).
Moira
One of the few land-based (i.e., not naval) series in the Napoleonic era, other than Cornwell's Sharpe. The lead character is a bit of drip and there is a little too much archaic language to make it sound supposedly like the period, but worth a read.
Jerry Haigh
All of the Mathew Hervey adventures are gripping stories - as good a series of reads as the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin seafaring adventures. Great for lovers of horses. I have read, and re-read, the lot.
Tony
He's getting better. I am glad that I gave him another ho.
Rob Swaney
Rob Swaney marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Scott McMillan
Scott McMillan marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Pm_geuze
Pm_geuze marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
  • Colours Aloft! (Richard Bolitho, #18)
  • True Soldier Gentlemen (Napoleonic Wars, #1)
  • Sharpe's Battle (Sharpe, #12)
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • The Gun
  • The Amber Road (Warrior of Rome, #6)
  • Governor Ramage R. N.
Brigadier Allan Lawrence Mallinson is an English author and was an officer in the British Army.

Mallinson is best known for writing a series of novels chronicling the (fictional) life of Matthew Hervey, an officer serving in the (fictional) British 6th Light Dragoons from the late Napoleonic Wars through subsequent colonial conflicts in India, North America and south Africa.
More about Allan Mallinson...
A Close Run Thing (Matthew Hervey, #1) A Call to Arms A Regimental Affair (Matthew Hervey, #3) The Sabre's Edge (Matthew Hervey, #5) Rumours of War (Matthew Hervey, #6)