Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?

Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  2,867 ratings  ·  136 reviews
Dr. Seuss. Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? New York: Random House, [1973]. First edition, first printing. Quarto. 47 pages. Publisher's binding.

Illus. in full color. Children will be cheered just contemplating the outrageous array of troubles they're lucky they don't have.
Hardcover, First Edition, First Printing, 47 pages
Published September 12th 1973 by New York: Random House (first published September 12th 1972)

Curious George by H.A. ReyHow Not to Murder Your Grumpy by Carol E. WyerThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonWatchmen by Alan MooreOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Yellowest Books Ever
57th out of 807 books — 379 voters
My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderTurtle Wish by Murielle Cyr
Books for seven-year-olds
70th out of 305 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

G (galen)
Because I just got done reading bedtime stories to my son, and I practically have this (faintly disturbing social commentary) memorized.

My favorite part is this section:

"Oh the Jobs people work at!
Out west, near Hawtch-Hawtch,
there's a Hawtch-Hawtcher Bee-watcher.
His job is to watch...
is to keep both his eyes on the lazy town bee.
A bee that is watched will work harder you see.

Well... he watched and he watched,
but in spite of his watch,
that bee didn't work any harder. Not mawtch.

So then somebody
Eveline
"When you think things are bad, when you feel sour and blue, when you start to get mad… You should do what I do! Just tell yourself, Duckie, you’re really quite lucky! Some people are much more…Oh, ever so much more…Oh, muchly much-much more unlucky than you!" This is my favorite Dr. Suess book. I have a slew of favorites, but I felt this one needed to be added. This little paragraph from the book reminds me that... well the obvious.
Since I’m from the Netherlands I didn’t read them as a child, t...more
Becca Buckman
The unforgettable Dr. Seuss did it again with his book "Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are". The rhyming texts and unique characters remind each reader to focus on the good parts of life and never feel down about anything. The reader is transformed to far-away places in order to understand optimism. This story fits into the controlled vocabulary genre of picture books.

a.) A strength from this book comes from the wild characters and comedic language to present a valuable lesson for every read...more
W
This is my absolute favorite Dr. Seuss book. I love the clever rhymes, the funny stories, and the drawings. It is the best of his books and I'm surprised it doesn't get more recognition. I'd recommend this book wholeheartedly to everyone and anyone. =D
Seawater
Read this to my friend over Skype. Growing up these books were just not his type.
It makes me so sad... a childhood without Seuss must have been bad.
بشرى
Really really liked it, but not as much as Oh, the Places You'll Go! !!
Jessica
Just read this book aloud to myself (yes, I did) and found it thoroughly entertaining. Seuss speaks the language of children. His corny rhymes and made-up words are part of why kids today still like his books.

But that doesn't mean grown-ups can't enjoy them, too. His mastery of language astounds me. I had to read the bee watch watching watcher part over and over again to fully understand what he did there, the play on word meanings. Fantastic. Truly fantastic.

I laughed several places while rea...more
Alice
It is no secret that I don't care for Dr. Seuss...I know I have just offended everyone who reads this, but here is the issues.

First Seuss books are usually based on some sort of social or political issue. I am all for that, but it is a little much for kids. Seuss never intended to write for children but isn't it interesting how life happens. The themes are always underling but kids are oblivious. Most people just like the rhymes and the pictures..

The 2nd thing I don't care for about Seuss is th...more
Keri Payton
Life sucks sometimes and we get down on ourselves. The important thing to remember is that we have it better than a lot of other people. Dr. Seuss shows us just how much.

This is a great book because it shows us we should appreciate the things we have in life, even when we are feeling our worst. What is clever about it is that Seuss writes the book in such a way that we don't feel more depressed for learning that people have a much harder time than we do but makes us feel uplifted and inspired by...more
Maxzine Rossler
Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are is about a young boy named Duckie who finds himself to be on the unlucky side, but one day he runs into a man in the desert who leaves him with some words of advice. This man who is sitting on a cactus is talking to Duckie about how lucky Duckie actually is, and then proceeds to tell him how his life could be worse, leaving Duckie with a song he will never forget. The illustrations are more comical in this book, and Dr. Seuss has always been known for his rh...more
Kelly
Like Hallie's copy of McElligot's Pool, my family's copy of this book was a flimsy ordered-by-mail toothpaste promo, and even in my earliest memories, it too had its stapled binding reinforced by yellowing Scotch tape. But my real memories were of the pictures, which I would look at again and again. They all depicted unfortunate places and people, yet somehow this fact was lost to me (despite having the story read to me many, many times), because my favorite game to play with this book was "Whi...more
Rachel C
Dr. Seuss's book Did I Ever tell You How Lucky You are is a book that teaches readers that no matter how bad your situation my be it can always get better and that there are people who who are less fortunate so we must be grateful for where we are. This book has a very positive message to convey to readers and this book would be a perfect book to read during a poetry and rhyming unit for language arts.
Anne
“Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?” is Dr.Seuss’s way of telling people that you are rather lucky and that some people have a worse life than you a ridiculously worse life. By ‘ridiculously’ I mean that Dr.Seuss, with his creative style, creates strange and silly situation in which people’s lives are worse than that of the protagonist an old man and girl named Duckie who end up sitting on cacti. The idea that people are sitting on cacti in itself sound silly but that is not all as in other...more
Kellie Deruwe
This rhyming book is about a young boy who meets an old man in a dessert that sang him a song about all the ways he is much luckier than other. This story goes through many hysterical scenes that show how lucky he is. My favorite scene is the one of Ali Sard who has to mow his uncles grass and doesn't get paid very much, and the grass grows back so fast he has to mow it all the time.

I loved this silly book. There are so many things Dr. Suess brings up in this story you wouldn't even think you w...more
Susan Wright
While Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? is a good book by Dr. Seuss I only gave it three stars as I think he has much better books. The message is good and is delivered in his typical whimsical pattern, but the book itself is difficult to read aloud and some of the examples are so silly that it becomes hard to relate to.
Skylar Burris
Jun 04, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids who feel sorry for not getting what they want
Shelves: childrens
This one is a mouthful to read. Seuss always makes use of nonsensical rhymes, but this book is more jammed packed with them than usual. Nevertheless, it's fun to read; I'm always surprised that my daughter, who is constantly asking me what various words mean when I read to her, never thinks to inquire about the meaning of Throm-dim-bu-lator, wamel-faddle, Poogle-Horns, or Hawtch-Hatcher. That, I suppose, is the beauty of Seuss silliness; it makes a strange kind of perfect sense in context. As is...more
Shelly Van Allen
Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? gave me my first taste of existential angst around the tender age of four. I was looking over my Dad's shoulder at that picture of a lonely, bent coat hanger suspended from a fraying piece of twine over a rocky gorge on a seemingly uninhabited world. I felt so bad for that hanger, and I wanted to do whatever it took to avoid its fate.

I turned out fine.

Childhood existential crisis aside, this book carries a lot of great lessons and, as with all of Dr. Seus...more
Katy Snyder
I like the idea behind this book, the idea that no matter how bad things might be there is always someone who is worse off than you. I think it is really important, especially for children, to remember the good things about their lives and appreciate everything they have. My only concern about this book is that it might get children in the habit of looking at their friends and those around them and comparing their lives to see who is luckier. I would just hate for a child to either look around a...more
Taylor Allen
"Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?' by Dr. Seuss the moral of the fable is that there is always someone that is worse off than you. It really shows the reader that even though your life may not be the best, it can always be worse. It shows the audience at any age that staying positive is a good trait to have. This story goes into details of problems that different characters have that are just corky and outrageous. For example, one of the characters has to dot all the i's and cross all the...more
Sybil
This book was somewhat of a disappointment to read. Although written in Seuss fashion the story is somewhat rambling. In my opinion not one of Seuss's better works.
Samantha
A reminder to be thankful for all that you've got and to be grateful for the lack of troubles in your life that some people have to deal with every day.

All of the situations presented in the book are fairly nonsensical and are pretty far removed from real problems offering readers a chance to laugh at such things. While I like the idea of putting yourself in someone else's shoes as a way of gaining perspective, I didn't find this title nearly as uplifting as Oh the Places You'll Go!

This is ano...more
Melissa
This is definitely my most favorite Dr. Seus book ever!
Oana Cerchezan
This book is great for any child of any age! I LOVE Dr. Seuss books. They always have some kind of motivational story or they just make you feel good. Kids also adore Dr. Seuss books. They love how his language does not make any sense, but always rhymes. This book is all about showing someone how truly lucky they are and being optimistic. Kids have bad days, but they have to see that there is an upside to everything and I think this book would be perfect to read, especially when you see your kid...more
Tanja Berg
"Thank goodness for all of the things you are not! / Thank goodness you're not something someone forgot, / and left all alone in some punkerish place / like a rusty tin coat hanger hanging in space.

Clearly I should spend more time considering how lucky I am. Or to use the words of Louise Penny: "We're all blessed and we're all blighted ... every day each of us does our sums. The question is, what do we count?"

Dr. Seuss is of course fantastic. Vividly imaginative, fun and brilliantly illustrated...more
Natasha
Dec 11, 2007 Natasha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children and those of us who remain children at heart!
Dr. Seuss was a genius. There were so many cultural, poltical, and social, messages within his work. I particularly love this book because it helps to remind all of us how truly lucky we are. I read this book to my son so that he learns the true ingredient of a blessed soul...gratitude. While we often complain about certain situations in our life, in reality....

"Duckies....we're really quite lucky...some people are much more, or ever so much more, muchly much more...unlucky than you!
Noura
“Thank goodness for all of the things you are not!
Thank goodness you're not something someone forgot,
and left all alone in some punkerish place
like a rusty tin coat hanger hanging in space.
Thats why I say "Duckie!
don't grumble! don't stew!
some critters are much-much,
oh, ever so much-much,
so muchly much-much more unlucky than you!”

i was hoping to find it pdf :( ... but i didn't find any so i listened to it and loved it ... really Dr Seuss is just genius :)
Maya
Another blast from the past--I LOVED this when I was a kid. I pulled it out for Miles and it just brought back so many memories. I love the oddness of every picture and all the made up places, people, creatures, words... another of my favorite Seuss books. You could say the message is a little heavy handed, but it's done in such a playful way for a lesson that's pretty important, it doesn't bother me. It's good to remember how fortunate we are...
Jacob Goldman
This book reminded me of when I was a little kid. It reminded me of when my mom or dad would read those books to me. So there are some people in the world that are unluckier than you and this book describes how unlucky people are. It's a good book.
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea Serpent
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • When I Grow Up (Little Critter)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream
  • Draw Me a Star
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze!
  • Consider Love
  • Big Dog...Little Dog
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • Dr. Seuss and Mr. Geisel
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • The Red Lemon
  • Zen Ties
  • Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move
  • Olivia Saves the Circus
  • The Art Lesson
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat Oh, The Places You'll Go! How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Lorax

“When you think things are bad,
when you feel sour and blue,
when you start to get mad...
you should do what I do!
Just tell yourself, Duckie,
you're really quite lucky!
Some people are much more...
oh, ever so much more...
oh, muchly much-much more
unlucky than you!”
451 likes
“Be grateful you’re not in the forest in France
Where the average young person just hasn’t a chance
To escape from the perilous pants eating plants
But your pants are safe, you’re a fortunate guy
You ought to be shouting how lucky am I”
400 likes