Start by marking “Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?” as Want to Read:

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  3,322 ratings  ·  175 reviews
Dr. Seuss. Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? New York: Random House, [1973]. First edition, first printing. Quarto. 47 pages. Publisher's binding.

Illus. in full color. Children will be cheered just contemplating the outrageous array of troubles they're lucky they don't have.
Hardcover, First Edition, First Printing, 47 pages
Published September 12th 1973 by New York: Random House (first published September 12th 1972)

Curious George by H.A. ReyThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonHow Not to Murder Your Grumpy by Carol E. WyerOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussWatchmen by Alan Moore
Yellowest Books Ever
62nd out of 900 books — 427 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderAmelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
Books for seven-year-olds
65th out of 465 books — 199 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
Dr. Seuss

Now, I have read many popular children’s books written by none other than Dr. Seuss, but I was surprised to have stumble upon this classic called “Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?” Out of all of the Dr. Seuss books I had read over the years, this was the one that I have never even heard of before and I was interested in reading this book and see if it holds up to Dr. Seuss’ other great works. Well, it turns out that it DOES measure up to Dr. Seuss’ other great works and I was quite pleased
G (galen)
Because I just got done reading bedtime stories to my son, and I practically have this (faintly disturbing social commentary) memorized.

My favorite part is this section:

"Oh the Jobs people work at!
Out west, near Hawtch-Hawtch,
there's a Hawtch-Hawtcher Bee-watcher.
His job is to watch...
is to keep both his eyes on the lazy town bee.
A bee that is watched will work harder you see.

Well... he watched and he watched,
but in spite of his watch,
that bee didn't work any harder. Not mawtch.

So then somebody
Eveline
"When you think things are bad, when you feel sour and blue, when you start to get mad… You should do what I do! Just tell yourself, Duckie, you’re really quite lucky! Some people are much more…Oh, ever so much more…Oh, muchly much-much more unlucky than you!" This is my favorite Dr. Suess book. I have a slew of favorites, but I felt this one needed to be added. This little paragraph from the book reminds me that... well the obvious.
Since I’m from the Netherlands I didn’t read them as a child, t
Shelly Van Allen
Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? gave me my first taste of existential angst around the tender age of four. I was looking over my Dad's shoulder at that picture of a lonely, bent coat hanger suspended from a fraying piece of twine over a rocky gorge on a seemingly uninhabited world. I felt so bad for that hanger, and I wanted to do whatever it took to avoid its fate.

I turned out fine.

Childhood existential crisis aside, this book carries a lot of great lessons and, as with all of Dr. Seus
Becca Buckman
The unforgettable Dr. Seuss did it again with his book "Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are". The rhyming texts and unique characters remind each reader to focus on the good parts of life and never feel down about anything. The reader is transformed to far-away places in order to understand optimism. This story fits into the controlled vocabulary genre of picture books.

a.) A strength from this book comes from the wild characters and comedic language to present a valuable lesson for every read
Kassandra Miller
It's Dr. Seuss...what more could you ask?

My son and I read this over and over and over.
Mackenzie Peter
Genre- Poetry
In this uplifting poetry book, Dr. Seuss creates a story with unconventional words to rhyme and take the readers to an outlandish world. Dr. Seuss explains to the readers that they may think they are not lucky but actually some people have it much worse. While people around the world do have it much worse than the children reading this book, this is a great children's book to tell them they are lucky and have a few laughs reading it.

Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? starts out
Jordan Davidson
Dr. Seuss
Random House, 1973

Summary: Duckie is having a terrible day and feeling quite sorry for himself. In the midst of his wallowing, he encounters an “old man in the Desert of Drize” who chides him for his self-pity. He explains that his life could be much, much worse, and then gives a lengthy explanation of the creatures he knows of who are “muchly much-much unluckier” than Duckie is.

Genre: Picture Book.

Content Warnings: Misfortunes, sad situations, gene
Snorkle
This was a typical Dr. Seuss book that had bizarre characters and outrageous rhymes. I enjoyed the illustrations and seeing what crazy thing would be on the next page. It wasn't my favorite book of his though, but I'd still recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Devan
Summary:
A young boy meets an old wise man, who wants to show this boy just how lucky he is. He goes on to describe different people with different homes, jobs, and lives. Although everything is funny and silly, he shows the boy that he really is lucky because he has a good life.
Critique:
I really enjoyed this story. I thought it was very cute and fun, and something I would love to read to my students. There were lots of illustrations and colors, there were many elements on each page, so many that
Codi Ebert
Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?:

First of all, any Dr. Seuss book I have ever read I have always enjoyed. Personally, I never have read this one until today and it went to the top part of my list of Dr. Seuss books. It has such a great meaning behind it, something wonderful that students can learn from it. Through out the book a character shows how this other character is so much luckier than other characters. It goes to show to be blessed with what you have and be glad with what you have.
W
This is my absolute favorite Dr. Seuss book. I love the clever rhymes, the funny stories, and the drawings. It is the best of his books and I'm surprised it doesn't get more recognition. I'd recommend this book wholeheartedly to everyone and anyone. =D
Seawater
Read this to my friend over Skype. Growing up these books were just not his type.
It makes me so sad... a childhood without Seuss must have been bad.
بشرى
Really really liked it, but not as much as Oh, the Places You'll Go! !!
Michelle McBeth
I love this book! In this story, a boy walking through the desert meets a guru sitting on top of cactus. He tells the boy that when he thinks things are bad he should think about how lucky he is because so many people are "muchly much-much more unlucky than you." All the examples the guru gives are nonsensical so you don't feel dragged down by sad stories.

Any book that tells children to look on the bright side is a great message. This book is advertized for grades k-4. The story is more mature
Dolly
Dec 07, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their kids
Great story that really makes you want to think about all that you have and appreciate your lot in life. Our girls really enjoyed this book.
Jocelin
A little disappointed in this offering of this Dr. Seuss book.
Bridget
Good (my personal opinion )

As always, the book is a fun read. Although I understand what they're trying to get across, I would like to have seen it tell Duckie that although he shouldn't grumble about his situations, it's okay to get your feelings out & that what he feels IS important. Don't make him feel he should have to hold in whatever is bothering him. Maybe, with me dealing what I've dealt with in life and know what it's like to hold things in and how angry it can make you, I'm reading
Alexis Kydon
Did I Ever Tell You How Luck You Are? is told with unique characters and rhyming words, of course. What I loved about this book so much is the story line, of course. Dr.Seuss seems to have a way of incorporating real life into his silly text. I think he was brilliant because the illustrations are wild. From the cacti on the cover, to his trees and colors and other creatures, he really opens up another world. It's Seussland and the reader doesn't even question the style. The main character Ducki ...more
Alice
It is no secret that I don't care for Dr. Seuss...I know I have just offended everyone who reads this, but here is the issues.

First Seuss books are usually based on some sort of social or political issue. I am all for that, but it is a little much for kids. Seuss never intended to write for children but isn't it interesting how life happens. The themes are always underling but kids are oblivious. Most people just like the rhymes and the pictures..

The 2nd thing I don't care for about Seuss is th
Keri Payton
Life sucks sometimes and we get down on ourselves. The important thing to remember is that we have it better than a lot of other people. Dr. Seuss shows us just how much.

This is a great book because it shows us we should appreciate the things we have in life, even when we are feeling our worst. What is clever about it is that Seuss writes the book in such a way that we don't feel more depressed for learning that people have a much harder time than we do but makes us feel uplifted and inspired by
Maxzine Rossler
Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are is about a young boy named Duckie who finds himself to be on the unlucky side, but one day he runs into a man in the desert who leaves him with some words of advice. This man who is sitting on a cactus is talking to Duckie about how lucky Duckie actually is, and then proceeds to tell him how his life could be worse, leaving Duckie with a song he will never forget. The illustrations are more comical in this book, and Dr. Seuss has always been known for his rh ...more
Kelly
Like Hallie's copy of McElligot's Pool, my family's copy of this book was a flimsy ordered-by-mail toothpaste promo, and even in my earliest memories, it too had its stapled binding reinforced by yellowing Scotch tape. But my real memories were of the pictures, which I would look at again and again. They all depicted unfortunate places and people, yet somehow this fact was lost to me (despite having the story read to me many, many times), because my favorite game to play with this book was "Whi ...more
Rachel
People will feel blue and it's human nature to question one's place in the world when this happens. Rather than look at the negative and focusing on how little you might have, Seuss's protagonist urges its young, unhappy friend to consider how lucky he is in comparison to others. By focusing on the troubles of others, in true, hilarious & Seussian fashion, children learn how to find blessings in their lives. Highly recommended.
Megan Dorcas
I chose this book because Dr. Seuss is one of my favorite authors and this is one of his books I haven't read before. I really enjoyed this book because it teaches a great message, that although what you are going through may be tough, somebody else has it much worse. That kind of message is important for kids to hear, because it is important to know how fortunate you are, and to not sweat the little things.
Rachel C
Dr. Seuss's book Did I Ever tell You How Lucky You are is a book that teaches readers that no matter how bad your situation my be it can always get better and that there are people who who are less fortunate so we must be grateful for where we are. This book has a very positive message to convey to readers and this book would be a perfect book to read during a poetry and rhyming unit for language arts.
Anne
“Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?” is Dr.Seuss’s way of telling people that you are rather lucky and that some people have a worse life than you a ridiculously worse life. By ‘ridiculously’ I mean that Dr.Seuss, with his creative style, creates strange and silly situation in which people’s lives are worse than that of the protagonist an old man and girl named Duckie who end up sitting on cacti. The idea that people are sitting on cacti in itself sound silly but that is not all as in other ...more
Kellie Deruwe
This rhyming book is about a young boy who meets an old man in a dessert that sang him a song about all the ways he is much luckier than other. This story goes through many hysterical scenes that show how lucky he is. My favorite scene is the one of Ali Sard who has to mow his uncles grass and doesn't get paid very much, and the grass grows back so fast he has to mow it all the time.

I loved this silly book. There are so many things Dr. Suess brings up in this story you wouldn't even think you w
Chris
It was a really good, really well-written and really easy Dr. Seuss book. It had really fantastic illustrations, great characters, really funny rhymes and a really interesting story. I haven't read this book in a very long time. This is one of the best Dr. Seuss books I've ever read in my whole life. I really recommend this book to Dr. Seuss fans of all ages.
Susan Wright
While Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? is a good book by Dr. Seuss I only gave it three stars as I think he has much better books. The message is good and is delivered in his typical whimsical pattern, but the book itself is difficult to read aloud and some of the examples are so silly that it becomes hard to relate to.
  • Time to Say "Please"!
  • Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea Serpent
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Choral Warm-ups from A-Z: Singing Dr. Seuss's ABC
  • Dr. Seuss's Gertrude McFuzz: Vocal Score
  • 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
  • Seen Art?
  • Noisy Nora
  • Wish for a Fish: All About Sea Creatures
  • Zen Ties
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat Oh, The Places You'll Go! How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Lorax

“When you think things are bad,
when you feel sour and blue,
when you start to get mad...
you should do what I do!
Just tell yourself, Duckie,
you're really quite lucky!
Some people are much more...
oh, ever so much more...
oh, muchly much-much more
unlucky than you!”
491 likes
“Be grateful you’re not in the forest in France
Where the average young person just hasn’t a chance
To escape from the perilous pants eating plants
But your pants are safe, you’re a fortunate guy
You ought to be shouting how lucky am I”
413 likes