Start by marking “The Soup Bible: All The Soups You Will Ever Need In One Inspirational Collection” as Want to Read:

'The Soup Bible' contains more than 200 recipes from all over the world. A comprehensive introduction includes step-by-step recipes for creating the perfect stock and suggests garnishes for a professional finish.
Published 2009 by Southwater Publishing (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Soup Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soup Bible

Corinne
Apr 26, 2013 Corinne rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
"Over 200 recipes from around the world" it says on the cover. There are beautiful pictures for *every single* recipe. I love that in a cookbook.

I've read it from cover to cover and will try a handful of recipes. I will only make so few mostly because I'm a picky eater and don't want to experiment at this time but do want to master a few good soups. Also because I want "meal" soups, I should of got a book about stews.

A couple of things to keep in mind about this book. I'd say it's for an interm
Catherine Woodman
I recieved this book as a present over the weekend, and while I have only made one soup so far (potato-cabbage with caraway seeds), it is a cook book with a wide range of soups, outstanding photos, not too complicated--the recipes are not long on details, so for a beginner, it might not work as well, and tips about when to use stock to enrich the soup are not here, but for an experienced soup maker, there are alot of choices, and not all of them things that I have had experience with. For instan ...more
Creolecat
Dec 01, 2012 Creolecat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
When the days become long, the body becomes lethargic and even the tar is beginning to melt, the last place one wants to be is in a hot kitchen. Summer is the season for quick, light meals that don't take a lot of time, but restore your energy. But if you do have to get into the kitchen, rather than throwing together the customary salad, how about a bowl of soup after that dip in the pool?

Consulting editor Debra Mayhew has combed the four corners of the globe to bring together a collection of wo
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Pretty There were seven participants in this research. We attacked this book with gusto! We came away with the feeling that the book was pretty and had a good collection of soups but if you’re a serious cook you could do better and the groupings were not to our liking and there really should have been way more suggested substitute ideas with the soups. Best Soup - Oyster Soup, and it was the easiest. ‘Stock making & Garnishes’ was short but important to the coming recipes. ‘Light & Refre ...more
Lia /|\
Feb 19, 2014 Lia /|\ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never been into cooking, but this year (2014) I decided to become a soup maven (because homemade soups are a pleasure to eat), and so I bought this book and started making a soup every week. I've enjoyed drooling over the familiar and exotic soups in the book (lovely pics!), and choosing some to make, and putting them together for my family. I learned that cooking can be easy and pleasurable, so I'm converted. :) It's a great book, and even when it calls for making things from scratch like ...more
Ami
Feb 21, 2012 Ami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Another cookbook where recipes looked good enough to eat, but not really worth cooking, except for one. I made the Garlic Chickpea Soup, which was tasty, but called for cream, which I don't usually make a habit of cooking with. It was tasty, though.

The weird thing about this book is that there's another soup book right next to it in the library, The Soup Bible, by the same author, and upon further inspection, it appears to be the same exact book. Why the library has both, I have no idea. I pick
Lobstergirl
Dec 18, 2009 Lobstergirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alina Kabaeva

This is one of those large format cookbooks Borders used to sell in their bargain section. It's beautifully photographed. Everything looks enticing. I would estimate about one-third of the recipes require a food processor or blender, and none are overly challenging for a home cook. There's only one recipe I wouldn't make, Stargazer Vegetable Soup, which requires you to cut star shapes from thinly sliced vegetables with a tiny cookie cutter...to be fair, it is in the section "Special Occasion Sou
Lorraine
Feb 06, 2014 Lorraine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy cooking, especially soup.
Some excellent sounding recipes. The illusrated steps will help the cook a great deal. I am looking forward to trying some of these recipes if the company who is renovating our kitchen ever finishes this particular renovation !!! I an somewhat disappointed in this book as a 'bible' cookbook should have every term needed, as many questions answered as possible relating to the making of soup, and a wider variety of the kinds of soups than the ones included here. The photography makes this book a l ...more
GoldenjoyBazyll
Nov 30, 2009 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jen, Carol, Regina
Recommended to GoldenjoyBazyll by: Nanette
OK.... so it is the holidays and I am cooking crazy! This is an AWESOME- not your stone soup variety- cookbook. I got it about 4 years ago on the Barnes and Noble sale shelves (and I still see them every time I am there). The receipes are interesting/ some are unusual takes on common soups AND are not complicated to make! If you love soup- you will love this!!!! Watch out Cambell's!!!!!
Karen
Mar 20, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Best soup recipes around, but I really bought it for the pictures. Not good for beginners since it leaves a lot unsaid. Example: in the parsnip soup it says "add herbs" but doesn't tell you what kind. Many more things like that pop up. But if you just want a good guideline and some great pictures to see if it comes out right, it's a bargain. Best tomato soup EVER.
Jamie
Sep 17, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: This was a gift from my Aunt Kelly
Shelves: cooking
I tend to bring this book out at this time of year. Something for evey palette for sure! This is one cook book I will never bore of! My only complaint is I have so many to choose from I don't know if I'll ever get through them all!!
Linda
Sep 08, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Good, general book about making soups. Lots of ideas and variations. The kind of book a soup lover will refer to often. It got me to try soups I never would have thought to make like the tamarind soup with peanuts and vegetables or the cream of parsnip soup.
Katrin
Mar 11, 2012 Katrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mmmm soups.)
great selection.)
Feb 01, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Mmmmmmmmm...excuse me while I slurp. I absolutely love soup and this book is chock-full of over 200 delicious sounding meals in a bowl.Inviting illustrations of every recipe add to the appeal.
Kelly
Feb 09, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It is one of my favorite cook books and has its own spot on the counter. There is a large variety to choose from depending on your mood. I am slowly trying to make them all.
Mell
yum.
Suzan
hm, paprikasoep!
Karen
Oct 29, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Lots of variety. Didn't love all the recipes but there were enough good ones to make this worthwhile. Cooking times are not always accurate.
Kaitlin
Nov 06, 2007 Kaitlin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE SOUP. I want this book NOW.
Amanda
Aug 28, 2007 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culinary
A vast collection of soups from around the world. There's something for every time of year. A soup lovers delight!
Miriam
May 18, 2008 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah it's just a cookbook but it's hard to make a good soup and the recipes in here are really great.
Anisa Aven
I'm a soup fanatic and this is a great recipe book to get my fix!
Amy
Aug 07, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the only soup we really didn't like was borscht but maybe it was the thickness of the soup.
Robert Fisher
Robert Fisher rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Spencer
Spencer rated it liked it
May 06, 2012
Ariel
Ariel rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Amanda gonzalez
Amanda gonzalez rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Lorraine Binions
Lorraine Binions rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2010
Jade Moore
Jade Moore rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Suzanned99
Suzanned99 rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce With More Than 350 Recipes
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • The Vegetarian Planet: 350 Big-Flavor Recipes for Out-Of-This-World Food Every Day
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • Self Confidence: The Remarkable Truth of Why a Small Change Can Make a Big Difference
  • Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You): Low-Fat Recipes with Half the Fuss and Double the Taste
  • The Book of Tofu
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread-From Every Kind of Machine
  • Herbs & Spices: The Cook's Reference
  • Do Not Open
  • Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco
  • Secrets of a Jewish Baker: Recipes for 125 Breads from Around the World
  • Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes
  • The Hundredth Monkey
  • Weber's Real Grilling: Over 200 Original Recipes
  • Eating for IBS: 175 Delicious, Nutritious, Low-Fat, Low-Residue Recipes to Stabilize the Touchiest Tummy