Start by marking “Agatha Christie's True Crime Inspirations” as Want to Read:
Agatha Christie's True Crime Inspirations

Agatha Christie's True Crime Inspirations

The true scandals, crimes, and murders that inspired the works of the Queen of Crime, and affected those around her

Fact proves far stranger than fiction in this collection of events that either influenced the works of the world’s most popular mystery writer or affected the lives of many famous personalities involved in her long career. These include the exploits of Jack t
Published April 1st 2011 by The History Press (first published August 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Christie's True Crime Inspirations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Christie's True Crime Inspirations

Katherine Coble
Jan 29, 2013 Katherine Coble rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-checkout
What a waste of time.

This book was like visiting a doddering old gossip in a nursing home. There were ostensibly chapters that ostensibly related to various true crimes (i.e. Jack The Ripper), but the book was really one long pointless ramble by an Agatha Christie obsessive.

The author regularly interrupts whatever case he's talking about to mention some modern crime that happened in Christie's birthplace of Torquay (pronounced TOR-key). It's awkward to be reading about the Lindbergh kidnapping
Rose
Jun 09, 2012 Rose rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
chaotic, frenetic account of every crime possibly associated with Agatha Christie, her novels, or anyone associated with her body of work.
Jacquie
Feb 02, 2013 Jacquie rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldnt-finish
Reminded me of channel surfing, just when a case was getting interesting it would jump to some news article that apparently was related in the author's mind but not in any way that was clear to the reader. Very superficial, many of the stories 'relate' to Agatha Christie only in a round-about way like the fourth cousin of a neighbor of the people who once rented Agatha's family a summer cottage shook hands with a suspected murderer. Can't say I learned anything new, just a light sloppy rehash of ...more
Nellie
Nov 16, 2012 Nellie rated it liked it
Since I haven't read Agatha Christie's mysteries, I found this book to be a bit hodgepodge. It went from detail to detail so quickly, it became difficult to tell when he was referring to the real crimes and when he was referring to things in Christie's book. Still, it was a good read and enjoyable enough. If you have read Agatha Christie's books, I think this would be a fantastic book to read.
Heather
Jul 03, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it
How does one make true crime boring? Or Agatha Christie's romps pedantic? And the links between the two vague at best? This book proves that it's possible. Let's all put this book in one of Christie's famous locked rooms and do away with it.
Belinda
Apr 12, 2013 Belinda rated it really liked it
I was sort of surprised at some of the vitriol directed at this book in other reviews--I thought it was charming. It's rather like a family tree of sorts--or 6 degrees of Agatha Christie--the title is a bit misleading (only a bit-there are stories in the book that refer directly to Ms. Christie's books) but a lot of it is stuff that is peripheral to the books or her life. For instance there is a chapter on Margaret Rutherford, who memorably played Miss Marple in a series of films and in her real ...more
Danielle Reily
Feb 07, 2017 Danielle Reily rated it did not like it
I really don't understand how this book got published. I'm glad I found it for a dollar at a book sale because if I had paid any more I would be upset.
This book is poorly written and completely unorganized. The author flits from story to story without any transition. He seems to have no sense of a timeline, and the information is completely scattered throughout random tangents and uninteresting facts. This feels more like the notes for a college essay instead of an actual finished book. The onl
Catherine Thompson
Feb 17, 2013 Catherine Thompson rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, non-fiction
This book purports to be a cataloguing of some incidents that may have inspired Agatha Christie's work. In some respects, it is. In other respects... not so much. There are several incidents (eg, the assassination of Lord Mountbatten) that occurred after Christie's death. Yes, Christie had an association with Mountbatten, and he apparently suggested a plot idea to her, but his assassination at the hands of an IRA operative really doesn't belong here, if you ask me. Like Christie's own work, this ...more
Thea
Sep 16, 2013 Thea rated it it was ok
Another reviewer mentioned that this book is a bit like "six degrees of Agatha Christie," which is a perfect way to describe it. Many of the "true crime inspirations" in the book were so far removed from Christie herself that it is difficult to imagine them influencing her work. Some of them happened after she was dead! Maybe this book should've been titled "Various Crimes I Want to Ramble About" rather than supposing to have much to do with Agatha Christie at all.
Naomi
Feb 03, 2017 Naomi rated it it was ok
A rambling, pointless mess. I love Christie's work, and I love the True Crime genre... but this book was one big long aimless rant about both, often with almost nothing connecting them ("Well, X crime happened twenty miles from where X book is set, so they're connected, really!"). A huge disappointment.
Bookworm
Mar 02, 2013 Bookworm rated it liked it
A library loan that I stumbled upon by chance.

A short book (running to just 118 pages) with very short chapters.

An ok read - did enjoy the history element to it but felt the agatha christie content was lacking.
Steven Heywood
Jul 23, 2014 Steven Heywood rated it did not like it
Disappointing. A lot of shallow dipping into stories with often very tenuous links to Agatha Christie's books. There's some solid research behind some of this, a good editor might have helped the writer make something of it.
Steph
Feb 04, 2017 Steph rated it really liked it
contrary to most reviews on here I really enjoyed this book. I esp. enjoyed what true crimes had inspired certain of her novels & short stories.
Joy
Feb 28, 2013 Joy rated it it was ok
Shelves: true-crime
I basically skimmed this book and it was interesting, especially about Agatha Christie's missing days, but it wasn't anything grand or inspiring.
Edna
Mar 31, 2014 Edna rated it it was ok
Interesting to know that most of Christie's novels were based on current crimes during her lifetime but, I felt like I was reading several abstracts rather than a book.
Susan Jo Grassi
Sep 04, 2015 Susan Jo Grassi rated it liked it
I found it an interesting book especially since Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors. The crime history was actually the key entertainment factor.
Tammi Mossman
Dec 26, 2016 Tammi Mossman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice snippets of information

Interesting but short chapters made this book a quick read. It was nice to see real-life inspiration for some of Christie's plots and characters.
Janet
Aug 25, 2014 Janet rated it it was ok
2 and a half stars. Some stories were more interesting than others.
Annette Godwin
Jun 22, 2016 Annette Godwin rated it liked it
Some grat ideas, but missing many that Christie tells of herself in her own stories. Still, it was a fun read for the Christie fan.
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Ronnie Cramer
Ronnie Cramer rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2013
Tess Olson
Tess Olson rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2017
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2017
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Lyssa
Lyssa rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2015
Mel
Mel rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012