Start by marking “The Works of Anne Frank” as Want to Read:
The Works of Anne Frank

The Works of Anne Frank

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,841 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Anne Frank muore a Bergen-Belsen tra il febbraio e il marzo del 1945, pochi mesi dopo essere stata deportata insieme alla sua famiglia. Aveva trascorso i due anni precedenti nascosta in quell'«Alloggio segreto», dedicando parte delle sue lunghe giornate alla stesura del Diario, un documento unico, commovente e sincero. Ma Anne, che sognava di diventare una scrittrice, non ...more
Published February 12th 1974 by Greenwood Press Reprint

Teresa
Aug 16, 2014 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should probably be listed as separate from the rest of Anne Frank's works (though it does contain all of them) as it contains so much more. In 1986 the "critical edition" was published after the authenticity of the diary was confirmed (the procedure being deemed necessary as Holocaust-deniers were loud and vociferous with their assertion that the diary had been faked); in 2003 the editors published this "revised critical edition," one reason being that five pages originally held back ...more
Christine
Dec 08, 2008 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody old enough to read and understand this
Recommended to Christine by: my parents gave it to me when I was 13
This is the book that had the most impact on my life. I read it when I was 13, watched several movies and many documentaries on Anne Frank's life since then and collected lots of other books about her short life.

I did visit the Anne Frank House on Prinsengracht in Amsterdam 3 times and spent an entire day at the new Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C., in October 1998.
Every student should read this touching diary at school so that another holocaust of any sort will be prevented in the future...
Margaux
How can you rate someone's diary? What I can say is she would have changed the world and made a huge difference in women rights and much more. I guess she made a difference in a different way.
SoGomez_
Jun 16, 2014 SoGomez_ rated it liked it
Nunca en la primaria me lo habían hecho leer y tipo si ya se que tengo 15 y blabla, pero no.
En fin, la historia obviamente es muuy triste y dolorosa, no tan solo por Anna, su familia y los Van Pels, si no por todos los judíos. Es un diario de una chica de 13 a 15 años, es denso en algunas partes pero, sigue siendo un diario. No creo poder encontrarle "una nota", es un diario, imaginense si ahora deciden venir a juzgar mi diario por algo que me pasó, es decir, no se si me explico, pero sigue sie
Evan
The whole megillah, Ms. Frank's entire oeuvre, 800-plus pages including multiple comparison versions of the diary. Necessary, of course, if for no other reason than to deliver needed pushback to the usual Holocaust-denial scum.

My library has this, so it goes on the short-list as a prime candidate for my big-ass summer read.

To be continued....

(KR@Ky 2016)
J.W. Braun
Sep 30, 2009 J.W. Braun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anne was a gifted writer whose words reach through the page and touch the reader, as if she's speaking only to him or her. Real life gave her some great material, and she made the most of it. This edition of her diary gives you Anne in raw form, unedited.
Amna Nadeem
Oct 28, 2014 Amna Nadeem rated it it was amazing
Always love reading about Anne frank.
Anne Schilde
Apr 26, 2013 Anne Schilde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The RCE contains a lot of other material including some history, the process for validation of the documents, three versions of the diary and the anecdotes and stories Anne titled, Verhaaltjes en gebeurtenissen uit het Achterhuis.

This was a fabulous experience and very deeply personal for me. It wouldn't be the same for everyone, however I highly recommend one version or another of the diary for anyone struggling with being a teenager, and for their parents as well. To quote Otto Frank, "You do
Elizabeth
Feb 09, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a recent trip to Frankfurt, where I saw Anne Frank's part of the Jewish Memorial Wall, I decided to re-read this book. I remember reading the book in elementary school and then taking a class field trip to see the play, but I didn't remember many details.

When searching for the book I discovered there are MANY different versions of her diaries published. (Apparently Anne started editing her diary for publication herself, then her father Otto edited out many passages before he had them publi
Joanne
Jul 18, 2010 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad to have waited until this edition came out to finally read this book- the introduction explains what was cut from earlier editions and why, and it's understood, one would not want to hear a very young lady talking about sex back then...but now... I'm thrilled they included all of her thoughts and notes she added later to edit things, etc. It truly brought out a depth of character that I doubt I would have fully grasped in the edited versions of it.
What an amazing young woman she was, t
Faber75 Gallo
May 04, 2016 Faber75 Gallo rated it it was amazing
Sono passati almeno trent'anni da quando lessi questo libro a scuola. Rileggendolo oggi, trovo che il diario sia un modo molto diretto per imparare la storia. Il terribile contesto in cui si svolge emerge dalla lettura, pagina dopo pagina. Non si tratta di una mera trasposizione di eventi storici con date e numeri, qui la realtà è viva, più viva che mai, e nella lettura ci si lascia trasportare dalla quotidianeità di Anne, dei suoi familiari e degli amici segregati nel loro rifugio segreto.
Appas
Joseph Haran
Jun 06, 2016 Joseph Haran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is a page turner and one of the finest books I've ever read. The editors and contributing experts intellectually and scientifically remove all questions of authenticity. It's the life of a young woman in her mid-teenage years, someone who was blessed with considerable circumspection and humanity; and she was a good writer, too. Annelies Marie Frank (1929-1945) didn't dwell on self-pity and she spared neither humor nor self-deprecation.

This thoroughgoing collection of her writings cause
Yavanna
Jan 14, 2015 Yavanna rated it it was amazing
This book is about Anne Frank. She is barely a teenager when the war begins. She is a Jew so she and her family hide in the attic of a friend. Since they are above a shop they had to stay quite for most of the day time, meaning cats and other animals weren't allowed. After a few months of staying there, another family moves in. A mother, father and son. The son is older the Anne, but the second youngest there. He also brings a cat. Anne isn't the most subtle person so she gets angry. Over the ...more
Bonny Howe
Jul 01, 2015 Bonny Howe rated it it was amazing
I want to buy this book, it's something I think I should read more than once. What a special young lady Anne was, she knew herself so well. She examined herself almost daily to find ways of improving herself while living in this extremely trying of conditions,living with her parents, sister another family of three and a dentist. Not all of these were easy to get along with. What a writer she would have been if she had lived. She so much wanted to become a journalist.

When this family first went
Charlotte
Feb 23, 2012 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-frank
This book is a must read for any serious Anne Frank fan or for those who want to study her diary (or rather diaries) in more depth. As it contains the 3 versions of the diaries side by side (anne's original writings, her own 1943-44 rewrites and otto frank's edits eventually used for publication in 1947) you begin to realise that at age 13, still writing about school friends, books and her family, Anne was no literary genius just an ordinary teenage girl in horrible circumstances. It is only ...more
Sumi
Feb 01, 2008 Sumi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
While in hiding, Anne Frank started a diary detailing her life which just happened to take place during one of the most historically significant periods in history, the second world war.

The diary was received as a birthday gift when Holland had already been defeated by the Germans and she details some of the restrictions placed on the Jews by the Nazis. Eventually forced into hiding.

It is during that period of hiding in the Secret Annex that Anne is given the idea that her diary could become a
Eileen
May 20, 2008 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been YEARS since I read this book as a child. Reading it as an adult with an understanding of WWII brought new meaning and understanding to the book. Reading it as a mother was even more rewarding.

This book had pieces of the diary that were not included in other versions. The father had removed parts of the diary that Anne didn't talk too nicely about her mother...this one added those bits back in. I thought it made the book more whole.

The book also explained that Anne's diary was actuall
Carlos Zambrano
Dec 28, 2014 Carlos Zambrano rated it it was amazing
Que buen libro, probablemente el ultimo que termine en el 2014, fue muy bueno para terminar el año. Todos sabíamos como iba a terminar el libro antes de leerlo pero nunca me imagine encontrar un niña tan viva sueños y en reflexiones y con tan alta capacidad literaria que la vez crece mientras avanza el libro. Dejo una de las reflexiones finales que me encanto, parafraseo " a los adultos la vida le resulta más fácil que a los jóvenes, ellos ya tienen su mente formada en cambio los jóvenes con ...more
Justin Collado
Jan 04, 2015 Justin Collado rated it it was amazing
This book is very inspirational where the novel is written as first person to get the reader more involved in the action or in the event that's taken place which is the Holocaust. The novel is written by a young girl whom actually lived through this event and is hiding form the Nazis because she herself is a Jew. This book catches my attention because of the aspect in which she is writing everything that has happened and how she feels. It puts the reader in suspense and she puts such descriptive ...more
Shieldmaiden
Feb 19, 2016 Shieldmaiden rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy, memoir
When I started this book I thought it was boring and unworthy. But now that I finished it I will never not feel sad when I'll hear the name Anne Frank.
I don't think there has ever exected such a pure, beautiful and innocent soul like hers. The end of this story was tragic and unfair, but that's something that everyone knows. The world is cruel and it's not good and it never was for people like Anne who deserve to be in a better place.
This ending really changed my opinion about this book. And I r
Beth
Oct 01, 2015 Beth rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographies
It was a bit of a weird read if I'm honest. Because it was her own personal diary and I was well aware of that fact so it felt like an invasion of privacy that I was reading it. It was a very interesting read but then, understandably, the last part upset me a bit, not even because they all died, but simply for the injustice of it, that we read every single day of these people's lives for a few years only to have a few paragraphs summing up the rest of their lives. It wasn't my favourite ever, ...more
Teri Reck
Jul 05, 2014 Teri Reck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason that I didn't rate this book five stars is that at times I felt a little uncomfortable reading this young woman's private diary. I know that she had hoped to have it read by others and worked to revise it, but even still, I felt a little funny about it. But if you can get over that, it is indeed an incredible work documenting her life in hiding and her dreams and desires. I hope that it serves to help us "never forget".
Michaela Dean
Sep 23, 2012 Michaela Dean rated it liked it
During the hiatus for jug day I listened to the diary of Anne frank while driving in the car to and from Vermont. Listening to the book I was able to make connections to information I had learned last year in World Studies and in English in 8th grade about WW2 and the holocaust. This book I had been meaning to read for years, and now I'm glad I have. If I hadn't felt reverence to Jews during the holocaust before, which I had, I would and do now.
Bobby
Mar 04, 2015 Bobby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-frank
Essential reading for anyone with a critical interest in Anne Frank's diary. It provides the three versions that exist in an easy to compare format: Anne's original diary entries, her rewritten versions of the entries that she began in 1944, and the version eventually edited and published by her father, Otto. In addition, Anne's fiction writing is also included, as is a detailed introduction by the Netherlands Institute for War Documentation covering the diary's authenticity.
Jazmin
Nov 04, 2014 Jazmin rated it really liked it
Se que no se puede juzgar a un diario con una calificación debido a que es algo personas pero hubieron momentos en los que sencillamente se me hizo muy repetitivo. Leí este libro por mi clase de Literatura y, honestamente, creo que me hubiera gustado mucho mas si lo hubiera leído por mi cuenta. Me gusto mucho 4 y 1/2 estrellas.
Yoli Aguilera
Jul 16, 2014 Yoli Aguilera rated it it was amazing
Cuando leo libros de este tipo solo me dan ganas de una cosa: matar a Hitler mil veces mas aunque ya lo esté. Increíble como narra Ana todo. Sobre todo sus sentimientos pese a la situación que se encuentra. Le llegas a coger mucho cariño...yo lloré muchisímo las dos veces que vi la película. Brutal.
Mlg
Apr 03, 2011 Mlg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A rereading of an old classic, this edition is interesting for the extra content. It shows the difference between the three versions of the diary, and it contains information on what happened to all of the people in the secret annex after they were arrested. It also contains information on the informant who turned in the Franks.
Ross Heinricy
Sep 06, 2016 Ross Heinricy rated it it was amazing
When I finished this book I was filled with mixed emotions; knowing the author would never have the joy or satisfaction of knowing her works would live beyond her life, and beyond her generation. The writing was intriguing and articulate, and she couldn't have done a better job at bringing her circumstances to life. So real and so poignant.
Fijke
Mar 27, 2014 Fijke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty difficult to get through. It's slow paced because it's a real diary and not much happens. Still, even though it's a tough read, I gave it three stars and would recommend anyone to at least give it a try, because it's such a relevant book to western history.
MaryAnn Paligo
Oct 13, 2009 MaryAnn Paligo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. It includes background chapters on the Frank family as well as all the information availble on what happened to each of them. It has Anne's original text, her own revisions, and the original published text on the same page for easy comparison. I very much enjoyed the book.
  • Anne Frank: A Hidden Life
  • Voyage of the Damned
  • The Villa, The Lake, The Meeting: Wannsee and the Final Solution
  • Hitler's Table Talk, 1941-1944
  • Abandoned and Forgotten: An Orphan Girl's Tale of Survival During World War II
  • I Remember Nothing More: The Warsaw Children's Hospital and the Jewish Resistance
  • Rosalind Franklin and DNA
  • The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank
  • Playing For Time
  • Transit
  • The Master Plan: Himmler's Scholars and the Holocaust

Annelies Marie "Anne" Frank was a Jewish girl born in the city of Frankfurt, Germany. Her father moved to the Netherlands in 1933 and the rest of the family followed later. Anne was the last of the family to come to the Netherlands, in February 1934. She wrote a diary whil
More about Anne Frank...