The Truth Cookie

The Truth Cookie (Lulu Baker #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  504 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Lulu Baker's dad is getting ready to marry his new girlfriend, world-famous model Varaminta le Bone. Everyone thinks Varaminta is fabulous. Everyone, that is, except Lulu. She knows that her stepmother-to-be, not to mention her awful son Torquil, is cruel, deceitful, and just using her father. But how can she make her dad see Varaminta and Torquil for who they really are?...more
Published September 17th 2009 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published July 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth Cookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth Cookie

0-439-74022-3

If you like fairytales, you should read The Truth Cookie by Fiona

Dunbar. I have read fairytales but The Truth Cookie is beyond

the fireworks on July 4th. The Truth Cookie is about a girl Lulu,

whose mother died and so she has to live with her father’s evil

girlfriend, Varaminta Le Bone, and her evil little son, Torquil. This

book brings me back to when I was a little kid because it reminds me of

the m...more
Pandora
A Cinderella type story in which Lulu has to find a way to stop her Dad from marrying a woman who out to ruin Lulu's life. The woman also has a son who acts like an evil stepsister. Lulu finds a solution in a mysterious cookbook.

Review: The book is more two and a half stars. The story worked pretty well although the Dad was perhaps, a little too clueless about what was happening. The story I also found to be a little too dragged out. It isn't till about half way through the book that Lulu's find...more
Annabelle
Genre- Fantasy
Lulu baker is a girl who has been having problems with her evil soon to be stepmother and soon to be stepbrother. Nothing a little baking cant fix. This book has a nice twist instead of a super hero saving the day baking ends up being what helps Lulu out of her situation. In the book there is hidden symbolism like the pastry names and the names of the character in the story. The author put a lot of time into making there be little things like that. These details made a big diffrenc...more
Kayla Grant
I thought this book was a funny book that showed humor in the things the characters actions.
Lulu is a 12-year old is living with her dad and their maid. When her father's girlfriend moves in with her son, Lulu has an issue. When her father is not home, her soon to be stepmother becomes even and so does her son but her when her dad comes home she acts sweet. When Lulu's feelings get hurt from Varaminta's cruel words she decides she has to stop her father from marrying her. She goes into a book s...more
MockingBirdLeigh
This book is interesting and has a great plot. Fiona Dunbar did an excellent job of writing about the apple star, it was well thought out and has a good meaning behind it. I love how she used the name lulu, and Cassandra was a great character. She was smart, and clever. When I finished the book I wished it would have gone on longer. I hated how Torquil acted and i wish i could've slapped him. I don't like models that much and Varminta made showed my point. she was evil, and awful. Overall this b...more
Kelaine
Jul 05, 2008 Kelaine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school girls
Shelves: fantasy, tweens
Shades of a prince-less Cinderella...fantasy-style.

Lulu's mother dies when she was a child; dad recently meets and becomes engaged to the wicked, lying, soon-to-be stepmom (who's a model with obnoxious son and poodle). Lulu happens upon a cookbook that contains recipes to create a variety of situations...one is cookies that make the eater tell the truth. Enter the fairy godmother in the form of an african-american woman who can get all the weird ingredients the recipe calls for...she also has so...more
Dee
I remember reading this as a kid and loved it. I have reread it in the past multiple times and I am not entirely sure why I loved it!
04744nf
Natasha
I read this as a child and I remember it was one of my favourite books.
Anna Francesca
When a scheming gold-digger and her slimy son have the wool drawn tight over Lulu's dad's eyes, what can she do? With help from some magical characters, spells, "truth cookies," the spirit of her deceased mum, and her best friend-- everything may turn out okay. This is a very cute book, although there isn't much depth to the "bad guys" who are Dahl-like in their horrid nature. Overall, this is a fun read that anyone with a sense of imagination and justice can enjoy.

Warning: This book does inclu...more
Claire
I read this book when I was in fifth grade and still remember it. I normally read books that just so happen to be in a sires and read only the first or the second book. But this one I read all three of them. I found them to be outstandingly entertaining. I couldn't seem to put any of them down and I'm a slow reader so I now find it strange that I have actually completed a trilogy....
Fashiongirlgoldberg
I would actually rate this more like three and a half stars. it was a pretty good book. They kind of had the stereotypical evil stepmother, and her nasty son, but whatever. Lulu was a likable character, and I enjoyed the magic stuff. Plus the bookshop thing was cool. I thought the whole apple star cookbook was interesting, and the recipes were cute.
Taylor
This is not your average book. It is about a girl who's mother died when she was about 6 yrs. old. Her dad won the "Sweet Nothings" article. Varminta meets her dad and they are planning on getting married. But there are some secrets that Lulu needs to make her dad see. To find out how she does that, READ THE BOOK.
Hima
It was really good!! Reasons why I liked it:
1. The main character was exciting, and the ames of the antagonists of the story were funny. Torquil??? Former Model, Varaminta Le Bone??? Waxia Legge-Suntan?? Wow.....
2. As all good authors do, made me hate the antagonists
3. Funny exploits dotted the plot!!
Pritika I.
All Lulu wants is to be happy. How can she when her mother is dead and her father is dating one of the worst people in the world. Lulu's father's fiancé has an attitude and a trouble-making son. Lulu tries to prove to her dad that Varminta is witch but he won't listen. This book is full of suprises.
Shaefer
I read this when I was a kid and I loved it a lot. I don't exactly recall why. Maybe because of its humor or because I felt I related to it well.

Either way it remains a book embedded into my memory of my childhood. So for sentimental reasons, I rely on this book being a "classic."
Lydia
this book was intriguing from the start with its humor and likeable main character lulu. The only thing that let it down was not the happily ever after ending but the solutio to lulus problem that seems to start getting very far fetched.
Jo
This was literally the BEST BOOK EVER!! For those who haven't read it, it definitely is a MUST READ!!!!!!!! Things originally seem as if Lulu's doomed, but in the end, a little baking puts things right!! It's sooooo awesome!
Aaleen
loved this magical,sweet book!
if you like a light, fairy tale, cute book you will like this!
It is very well written and each character has their own individual characteristic. Very original and creative. 8/10
Sam
Aug 16, 2013 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
I loved this book just because I wanted this magical land of crazy ingredient and recipes to be real! Very inventive of the author. Great fun read, which of course teaches a lesson at the end as all must.
Gina
Apr 02, 2009 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Gina by: Taylor
This Cinderella spin off is a great book. There's an evil stepmother and an evil Stepbrother. See what happens when the truth cookies help the evils go away.
Mckenzie
This book was good,if your in for a fiction book about magic books,mean soon-to-be stepmother's and mystery(sorta)then I would recomend this book.
Helen
It's a very cute story it's not the most exciting book out there but It had enough in it for me to finish the book
Lindsey
THis is my absolutely favorite book! It has comedy, adventure, and magic in it. Probably the best combination ever!
Dymond
i love this book if i had to choose a book to read for the rest of my life it would be the truth cookie
Anna
A very cute book and a very fun read, but it moves almost too quickly. However I did enjoy the book a ton.
Yeegirl
It was very exciting because you do not know what bad thing variminta I's going to do to lulu.
Lindsay
This is an easy read book. if you are looking for a one dayer then this is a perrfect book.
Sydney
Very charming--I understand why my 8-year-old daughter loved, loved, loved this book.
  • Budding Star  (Angels Unlimited, #8)
  • Jane Blonde: Sensational Spylet (Jane Blonde, #1)
  • By Royal Command (At the House of the Magician)
  • The Ant Colony
  • Phone Home, Persephone! (Myth-O-Mania, #2)
  • Beads, Boys and Bangles (Threads, #2)
  • Posh and Prejudice (Diary of a Chav, #2)
  • Tumtum and Nutmeg: The First Adventure
  • My So-Called Haunting (Afterlife, #2)
  • Scarlett
  • Boy, Oh Boy! (From the Files of Madison Finn, #2)
  • Charm School
  • The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • Midsummer Meltdown (Truth, Dare, Kiss, Promise, #6)
  • Drawing with Light
  • Caddy's World (Casson Family, #0)
Fiona Dunbar is a British author. She was born in 1961 in Hemel Hempstead and as well as being a writer, she is also an illustrator and a graphic artist. She has written and sometimes illustrated books such as the Silk Sisters trilogies and Toon-Head. Her books, The Lulu Baker trilogies, have also been adapted to become a children's TV series called Jinx.

She now lives in Brooklyn, NY.

More about Fiona Dunbar...
Pink Chameleon (Silk Sisters, #1) Blue Gene Baby (Silk Sisters, #2) Cupid Cakes Tiger Lily Gold (Silk Sisters, #3) Divine Freaks