Start by marking “Dive Into Python 3” as Want to Read:
Dive Into Python 3

Dive Into Python 3

Mark Pilgrim's Dive Into Python 3 is a hands-on guide to Python 3 (the latest version of the Python language) and its differences from Python 2. As in the original book, Dive Into Python, each chapter starts with a real, complete code sample, proceeds to pick it apart and explain the pieces, and then puts it all back together in a summary at the end.

This book includes: Exa
Published January 31st 2010 by Createspace (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dive Into Python 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dive Into Python 3

Thyag
Jul 11, 2013 Thyag rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dive Into Python is an excellent "quick dive" resource for busy programmers who are beginning Python. If you have done some basic C or Java programming in the past (no need to be expert) - then this book would serve you best. Mark Pilgrim is clear about the intended readership when he says : "You won't find long-winded treatises on the aesthetics of API design or the history of computer science. I don't have time for that, and neither do you"

It is a book that works like a hands-on training manua
Mohamed Tougorti
I especially liked chapters 5, 12 and 14 (on regular expression, XML and HTTP Web Services (real eye opener)) but I thought it was a little lacking on classes (chapter 3).
But nonetheless a must read if your interested in python.
Thanks for Mark Pilgrim to make it freely readable over the web.
Ali Bahrami nezhad
In my opinion it's the best Python programming language book/e-book ever. It's full of examples with great description for each line.

Mr. Pilgrim knows how to teach you something :)
Shayan Kh
3.5 stars.

A decent introduction to how python3 works and how you should think in a pythonic way, for programmers. If you have no background in any other programming languages, this book isn't for you. If you are a pro at another language, this isn't for you either. But if you have some experience programming with other languages but considerin python, this book is great.
It has many examples of how you should do stuff in python. In fact, every thing is explained in examples, which is an inte
Todor
Jan 02, 2017 Todor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't read the last 3 chapters ... Too specific and not really python beginner related
Mohammad Laif
May 24, 2016 Mohammad Laif rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dev
A good book explain many useful things for intermediate learners, clear many hazy for beginners!

I find some chapter very useful like:
String chapter: explaining encoding ascii, unicode, utfs, bytes & string in python!
Regular Expressions chapter.
Packaging: for anyone who want to know more about creating setup files, modules...
Porting Code to Python 3 with 2to3: this is my favorite chapter, I was start learning python2, then when I came to python3 this chapter clear many differences between the
Neal Aggarwal
Nov 05, 2013 Neal Aggarwal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of my students come to me to learn a 'holistic' approach to computing and I teach them to build a computer from the first principles - that is from the basic NAND gate all the way to the operating system, assembler and compiler. A basic requirement I have is that they know some programming. For that I use Zed Shaw's Learn Python The Hard Way. On completing that book though some students feel they'd like to learn some more python and that's where this book comes in. It's fast paced and thoug ...more
Vladyslav Sitalo
Aug 22, 2015 Vladyslav Sitalo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has previous Software Development experience and want to look into Python
Good intro to Python for people with previous programming experience. Gives good overview of language and a lot of references for further deeper reading.
On the other hand It is a bit superficial sometimes and I have to admit that I've partially skipped parts devoted to Python2 to Python3 porting because I don't feel they are relevant for me now.
Though this is my first Python book so it's hard to say how good is it in comparison to other similar books.
John Schwabacher
I am trying to learn Python and this book is free online and looks very good.
I decided to read the Python 3 version because it also discusses Python 2 and the author says he understands interators and generators better than when he wrote the first version.
Curtis Penner
Good introduction.

There are some errors towards the end as the languages, that is the libraries are changing. His examples failed, but with a little look up, made the alterations every thing works.
Alpha
Dec 09, 2012 Alpha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Typeset and layout are bad.

The author's style in this book is suitable for presenting simple language features, not good enough at complex stuff.

It deserves a 3.5 star.
Volodymyr
Quite superficial, not good at complex topics, many examples of Python 2 to Python 3 migration (it is not interesting for person who wants to learn Python)
Anand Kumar
Good for a nice review of the subject. But the reader would be served better only if he has prior exposure to python.
Hussein AlSarabi
I read the most important parts and skimmed through the rest. I liked it, simple well structured and enjoyable to read.
Anass Ahmed
Jun 22, 2015 Anass Ahmed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
This book is really fantastic in explaining the fundamentals of Python language and the deep secrets of its structure. I recommend every beginner programmer to read it.
David Maixner
Feb 16, 2016 David Maixner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: odborna
docela fajn ucebnice pythonu, aspon tahle neni uplne a naprosto trivialni a pristupuje k tomu trochu jinak nez je bezna prezentace furt stejnych jazykovych konstrukci
Kemal Ogün Işık
Kemal Ogün Işık rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Alexey Ulyanov
Alexey Ulyanov rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Sergey Smirnov
Sergey Smirnov rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Jordan Smith
Jordan Smith rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Ahmed
Ahmed rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Nitin Venkatesh
Nitin Venkatesh rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Vanio Begic
Vanio Begic rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013
Silver Knight
Silver Knight rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Hiram
Hiram rated it liked it
May 22, 2013
Visgean Skeloru
Visgean Skeloru rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2010
  • Learn to Program
  • Version Control with Git
  • Artificial Intelligence

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »