Start by marking “Robert Bloch's Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper” as Want to Read:
Robert Bloch's Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper

Robert Bloch's Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Psycho author Robert Bloch's seminal tale of The Ripper in then-contemporary times was originally published in Weird Tales in '43. Now it's getting adapted to comics for the first time ever by acclaimed writer Joe R. Lansdale and John L. Lansdale, and featuring art and colors by Eisner-nominated cartoonist Kevin Colden (Fishtown).
Published October 12th 2010 by IDW Publishing (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Robert Bloch's Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert Bloch's Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper

Mike
Mar 15, 2013 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Jack the Ripper has fascinated people from the time of the murders to the present and it is unlikely that he will be forgotten anytime soon. Authors of all kinds have incorporated his story into pretty much every genre of fiction and medium. I suspect if the murder had been solved (and convincingly so) Jack’s might have become a historical footnote as Neill Cream has. (There is a good Holmes pastiche involving the Doctor known as The Lambeth Poisoner.)

Robert Bloch is best remembered for being th
James
The graphic novel is solid, but I could not help but think that the short story was not improved but this representation. The strength of Bloch is there and I love the work of the Lansdales outside of this work, and the art is powerful in its own right, but the graphic novel medium makes parts of this story seem too abrupt. Segments are left undefined and unexplained that the short fiction form can better address. I enjoyed the work in its own right and would recommend it to the right audience, ...more
Riju Ganguly
This handsome volume from Subterranean Presses provides pleasure as well as pain (quite appropriate, considering the fact that it contains works of Robert Bloch, who had always combined these two emotions rather deftly in his works), or rather: smiles & groans. On one hand it finally brings everything written by Bloch concerning the killer of Whitechapel within two covers, on the other hand the lack of editorial details (something that we had got accustomed to, courtesy the ‘Lost Bloch” and ...more
Amy Sturgis
This is an excellent collection of the Jack the Ripper-related writings (short stories, a novel, a television screenplay, and an essay) by Robert Bloch (also known as the author of Psycho and student of H.P. Lovecraft). As someone who's very interested in Ripper fiction and the Gothic in general, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The collection includes the following.

"Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper" is a classic short story for good reason. It's wonderfully evocative, a great study in mood, and it accomplis
Sysyphe
Ok, è Lansdale.
Ok, si tratta di Jack The Ripper. Però.. c'è un però.
'Lo squartatore rimane come simbolo di tutte le nostre paure: la paura di uno sconosciuto in una strada buia, la paura del prossimo, il cui aspetto esteriore può nascondere la bestia dentro, o anche la paura di un amico che pensiamo di conoscere; un amico che può diventare un demonio, una volta che la sua maschera si stacca e viene fuori il coltello, - Robert Bloch.
Sulla base di questa frase viene costruita questa Graphic Novel
Sara Thompson
Wow was the reaction I had reading this graphic novel. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about a Jack the Ripper story done in black and white with red thrown in. I have found that I have some difficulty determining features and details when the stories are black and white. That was not a problem with this book.
The drawings were clean and crisp. The lines thin to allow the details to shine. The red accented the story without being garish.
Now, of course, no graphic novel can be good if the st
Nick
As someone who read and enjoyed the short story which is the basis for this graphic novel, I have to say that I liked this adaptation, but didn't love it. I really wasn't thrilled with the artist's work on the story. Your tastes may differ.
Still, it provides an interesting take on the work of a true master of suspense and horror, and if you've never read the original story, you will realize how many works of modern SF and horror borrowed ideas from it, including a classic Star Trek episode.
The h
Zachary Grabko
Though the artwork was decent, there were multiple points were I had to re-read the same few panels, because the art style made it confusing to figure who was who. More annoying than anything that got in the way of the story's character development, which was also decent. It would of been good to see Sir Guy's character more developed, so that it could be better understood why he does what he ends up doing in the 3rd chapter of this picture novella.
Robin Hobb
Robert Bloch. Much more than just the author of Psycho. Master of the short story form.
When I was in high school, I tracked down every short story of his that I could find. Short stories are, I think, the most difficult form of story telling because you have to create the characters, paint the setting and advance the plot within just a few pages.
Robert Bloch stories do that, with grace and style.
John
An interesting, ambitious failure. I see what the creators (all of whom I admire and usually enjoy) were trying to accomplish here, but I feel as if nothing flowed properly, either from panel to panel or page to page. A story like this should come alive. We should feel the terror and the energy as the characters experience the horrific plot. Instead, too much of it feels dead on the page.
Roy Hudson
I had previously read Joe Lansdale's graphic adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror, which had been changed considerably. This makes me want to read Bloch's original story to see if it was changed for this edition. I loved the twists and artwork. The contrasting colors were a nice touch. I recommend this for fans of horror comics and Robert Bloch in general.
T.J. Blackburn
Read as individual issues.

The art work was okay. The story could have been better. I have to wonder if the original short story on which this graphic novel is based would be a better read. Definately piqued my interest in Robert Bloch. I have to try his other writing now as well as read the original short story. It was a quick fun read but nothing to get gooey about.
Samantha Brandt
Interesting book. I think my only complaint about it is that it was not long enough. First sort of Jack the Ripper book that I have ever read. Nice murder/mystery, unfortunately I had it figured out way too soon.
Nick
Interesting minimalist art. The kinetic feel of Jack is visceral and evocative with very few lines. The story and dialogue are unremarkable but they do the job.
Eli
Not bad for a half-hour's read. Pretty abrupt in places; could've used a bit more development of certain characters and ideas, but all right overall.
KG
Not bad! Seemed a little obvious and protracted, but it was a clever enough story.
Brent
Intriguing way to update the Ripper mythos and bring the terror into the present.
Splash Champion
The inspiration for further and more interesting Jack stories.
sristow
Thrilling! Must read.
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Erik Moth
Erik Moth marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Oksana
Oksana marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Veruca Griffiths
Veruca Griffiths marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
M
M marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Mary Murphy
Mary Murphy marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
  • Mortality Bridge
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • Hamlet's Father
  • Ares Express
  • Blue and Gold
  • The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age, #2)
  • The Curse of Four (Black London, #4.5)
  • City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)
  • Haven (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #4)
  • The Office of Shadow
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)
  • Lesser Demons
  • The Lodger
  • Phases of Gravity
  • The Witch Of Prague & Other Stories (Tales Of Mystery & The Supernatural)
  • Demonstorm (Legends of the Raven, #3)
Tales from the Crypt #7: Something Wicca This Way Comes Shadows West - A Story & Three Screenplays Tales from the Crypt Boxed Set: Vol. #5 - 8 Horse of a Different Color Tales from the Crypt #8: Diary of a Stinky Dead Kid