Devil at Midnight (Midnight, #9)

Devil at Midnight (Midnight #9)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  29 reviews
For years, mercenary captain Christian Durand has done everything he can to protect his men. When a beautiful ghost appears to offer comfort, he assumes the strain has finally pushed him over the edge. All he knows for certain is that this woman tugs at both his heart and desires. But now that a vampire queen has set her immortal sights on Christian, he must choose between...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by Berkley (first published September 29th 2010)

Isalys
*Note: Read and reviewed for The Season for Romance.

Grace Gladwell is a typical girl in suburbia 1950. She’s sweet and pretty and Johnny is just crazy about her, but no one other than her mother know that Grace is the victim of her father’s drunken violent rages. He’s physically and verbally abusive. One night he goes too far when he catches Grace giving Johnny a goodnight kiss. He pushes her and she hits her head when she stumbles into the brick fireplace. Next thing she knows, she wakes up in...more
Bookaholics
Devil at Midnight by Emma Holly
Paranormal Romance -Nov 2nd, 2010
5 stars

Devil at Midnight is an amazing new installment to Emma Holly’s Upyr series. In this book the author explores reincarnated love between 2 touching and abused characters which this reader did not want to end!! But even if you are new to this series this book can easily be read by itself.

Grace Gladwell is young and beautiful but she has a terrible secret. Her father is abusive and demeaning and in a fit of rage he kills her...more
Jane Stewart
Incomplete plot development. Things were not tied together or explained well. There is a lot of sex, which was ok.

STORY BRIEF:
In 1950 Ohio, Grace is 18. Her father beats her. The current beating causes her to go unconscious. Her spirit travels to 1460 Switzerland where she meets Christian. Grace is able to switch back and forth between ghost form and human form. She and Christian have a lot of sex.

Christian’s father Gregori is evil and has Christian whipped for being kind to a puppy. Gregori is...more
Maria
It´s my first book in the Upyr-series but it was no problem understanding the story.

When you first meet Grace Gladwell it´s in modern times, well 1950´s. She is severly abused by her father and when he finally hits her so badly that she almost dies, an angel steps in.
Grace always wanted a friend, someone she could both laugh and cry with. She has always been so alone.

Christian Durand is a noble mercenary living in Switzerland during the Middle Ages under the harsh thumb of his first officer, who...more
♥The Kat's Meow♥
Devil at Midnight (Midnight, #9) by Emma Holly It's a very good thing we only must wait until January for the next book. I, for one, am most eager to know what happens next. Angel at Dawn (Novel of the Upyr) by Emma Holly I'm eager to continue Christian and Grace's story. I hate waiting *sigh*

*** Very slight spoiler ***

Suffice it to say that I grew to like, indeed admire, characters whose lives were lost.

Kristin - *Nocturnal Bites*
After being killed by her abusive father, Grace Gladwell awakens in a sort of purgatorial realm. An angel confronts Grace and offers her a chance to meet and help a friend in need from another lifetime. Longing for love and friendship, a concept, due to her father, unattainable in her more recent existence, Grace willingly and whole-heartily accepts. However, the one condition of her time travel leaves her corporeal in form. Grace arrives in Medieval England, year 1460, to find the man she is se...more
Angelina
Dec 22, 2011 Angelina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to anyone who into paranormal or interseted its a great started in to the paranormal books.....
Recommended to Angelina by: No one Love the Author and always want to read..
Devil at Midnight is a story about Christian and Grace two people from different Time only find out they aren't that much different.Fantastic tension because Grace was a ghost and could not be materialize when Christian is human. So although their friendship and love bloomed, they cannot physically touch each other, which made it very intense when Grace is able to materialize even if for a little bit which was hottttt. Love meeting Christian's soliders/friends and seeing that they was more fami...more
Tori  smexys_sidekick
Tamara
Veronica King
Ok I am addicted to the Midnight series. This book read as independent novel although I can't wait to read earlier ones.
Kathy Davie
This feels so very out of chronological order as this tragic story surrounds the upyr queen, Nim Wei, and her pursuit of a hunky mercenary, Christian Durand, in the Middles Ages in Italy. The main story however is of Grace and her near-death experience which catapults her from the American 1950s to Durand's time period and Christian's doubts about his father and his own abilities. The secondary issues include Christian's attempts to placate his father while protecting those men loyal to him and...more
Sharon
The only thing that saved this book for me was the sweet romance and sexy scenes. The story line fell flat for me, and I have read the series. I was okay with the time travel and the ghost and the whatnot, but the development of the story once Nim Wei enters was painfully slow and not worth reading. I lost interest and it was all I could do to finish the book half-heartedly. I would give it less stars, but Emma Holly can write good sex scenes. She is one of my favorite authors, so I expect a lot...more
Michelle
At first I didn't know if I was going to like how this story was headed - but all of a sudden I was drawn in and couldn't put it down. I really like that Durand got to tell his story of how he became. You kinda knew how it would end but the ride to get there was awesome. I can't wait to read the next part to this book!
Pam
Devil At Midnight is a fairly good book. Its about a ghost who goes back in time to join her friend from a past life. Both of the have been abused in their lives. Throw in a vampire to the mix and it makes a good story. The ending was the best surprise.
Cassandra
It's another great novel from Emma Holly, could not put it down, just kinda sad that it's another story split into another book. Would love to keep reading but will just have to wait to finish the tale. A must read if you love her books.
Mell
Some how missed that I had already given another book in this series a bad review. Won't make that same mistake again. This book was bad- with poorly handled plot elements like time travel and "ghosts." A vampire was thrown in, too.
Bethany
This book was pretty predictible for the most part. I figured I had the ending all worked out... Until I actually GOT to the ending. And it was nothing like what I'd expected! 4 stars just for surprise factor!
NanaVamp
My rating and reviews are based on my emotions while reading the story. Emma Holly is a gifted storyteller...very descriptive and plenty of romance and eroticism in her books.
Nora
A fun read, but definitely incomplete as a one-book read. Don't read this without having the second one close at hand; having to wait will make you very impatient!
Katie
I don't usually write reviews but simply stated....I could not put this book down! It was hot and had a great story...I can't wait for Angel at Dawn in January!!!
Zury
I loved this book. Much more than "Angel at Dawn" her last couple of books (trilogy and this duology) have been fantastic, but this book was fabulous!
Tressa
The premise was intriguing and the primary characters, Grace and Christian, were likeable. Unfortunately, I didn't care for anything else in the book.
Mary Lauer
I almost couldn't finish this one because I knew bad stuff would happen, and no HEA in this book. As a result, I rushed thru the end to get to the sequel.
EJ MACK
I did not want to get another series but this book made me reconsider. I was so surprised that i must now read all of this series... thanks
Ro
This book is by far one of Holly's best, and I'm totally loving Christian and Grace's interaction that's prevalent right away.
Jean
Good mix of historical, paranormal and contemporary romance/erotica.
ChaosDuchess
I truly enjoyed reading this one. I can't wait to read the second part!
Annie
love these books!
Teri
3.5 Stars...
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • Demon's Delight (Tale of the Demon World, #4)
  • Darkness Burning (Dark Realm, #3)
  • Primal Cravings (Primes #11)
  • Haunting Warrior (Mists of Ireland, #2)
  • Vampire Instinct
  • Master of Smoke (Mageverse, #7)
  • Demon Marked (Demon Bound, #2)
  • A Twist In Time (Da Vinci Time Travel, #3)
  • Moon Cursed (Nightcreature, #10)
  • Rush of Pleasure (Primal Instinct, #8)
  • Red Demon (Gods of Midnight, #3)
  • Defiant
  • Sentinels: Wolf Hunt (Sentinels #3)
  • The Taking (Seven Deadly Sins, #3)
  • Bound to Darkness (The Turning, #1)
  • Don't Call Her Angel
  • Skin Dive (Skin, #4)
  • Luck of the Wolf (Historical Werewolf, #7)
I'm a USA Today bestselling author who LOVES the hot stuff, both to read and to write. My favorite obsessions are all things coffee, almost everything on HGTV, and dreaming up new stories.
More about Emma Holly...
Hot Spell (Demon World, #2; Breeds, #6; The Guardians, Prequel) Menage Fairyville (Fairyville, #1) The Billionaire Bad Boys Club Prince of Ice (Tale of the Demon World, #3)