Start by marking “Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)” as Want to Read:
Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)

Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins #3)

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,853 Ratings  ·  320 Reviews
It is spring in the valley and the Moomins are ready for adventure Moomintroll and his friends Snufkin and Sniff find the Hobgoblin's top hat, all shiny and new and just waiting to be taken home. They soon realize that his is no ordinary hat; it can turn anything--or anyone--into something else
Published September 1st 1990 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Finn Family Moomintroll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finn Family Moomintroll

Rachel Hartman
Jun 17, 2012 Rachel Hartman rated it it was amazing
This book is the reason I learned to read.

My mother read it aloud to me once and then refused to read it again. In fact, she washed her hands of the whole series on the grounds that it was "creepy". I was forced - forced! - to teach myself to read, if I wanted any more Moomins, ever. I got my revenge, however: I read this book out loud to HER while she was working in the kitchen and couldn't get away.
Greg
Jul 06, 2009 Greg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-kids
I liked, but didn't love Comet in Moominland. Finn Family Moomintroll though really captures the same wonderfulness that the Moomin comic strips do. This book is a bit more episodic than Comet, but it feels more cohesive. Maybe the Moomintroll is best when he isn't on long adventures with his friends, short adventures serve them nicely when they can return home to rest and enjoy the simple pleasures of Moominvalley. If I had kids I would read this to them, if they didn't like it, I'd drive them ...more
Chris
I guess I am fiscally conservative but liberal in most other things. You want to marry the same gender; you should. It’s none of my damn business as you are both consenting adults. Your womb is none of my damn business. You want to change gender, go right ahead – none of my damn business.
And incidentally, you can reverse that.
I blame Moomins for this. I just realized this.
When my family went to Sweden when I was in third or fourth grade, I was given copies of Jansson’s children books and real
Lisa Vegan
Jun 05, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: probably almost everybody, unless they have identical taste to mine
I feel sacrilegious in rating this book with just 2 stars. I almost “graded” it higher.

I apologize to everyone who loves this book. I’ve gotten over it now, but for years I was extremely perturbed when others I knew didn’t love A Wrinkle in Time and some of my other favorites.

I apologize to The Muskrat (who is a real hoot) and to Moominmamma (because she really is a great character) and some of the other characters too. I apologize to the author because there were glimmers and glimpses throughou
Ivonne Rovira
While I enjoyed Finn Family Moomintroll, it was not nearly as delightful as Comet in Moominland. When Moomintroll and the tramp Snufkin discover a stovepipe hat, they unwittingly bring home what turns out to be a Hobgoblin’s Hat. The hat wreaks all sorts of havoc until Moominmamma wisely hits on a solution.

Neither as witty or as funny as Comet in Moominland, Finn Family Moomintroll does introduce the odd little Thingumy and Bob, who have some very unusual ideas about stealing.
Amina
Feb 17, 2016 Amina rated it really liked it
Made me travel back to my childhood, what a warm feeling, I used to watch it as a cartoon called وادي أمان and what a terrific world...
Kim
Jun 21, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
As part of a "read a new book, reread an old book challenge" and because it's the 65th anniversary of the Moomin series (there's even a Moominweek at tor.com!), I decided to reread as much as I could of the Moomin series. Which ended up being only one book, unfortunately: Finn Family Moomintroll. I read this series when I was perhaps 8 or 9 years old, and loved it; I think it would also be a great choice to read aloud to younger children. The illustrations are adorable, and the names of the char ...more
Emily
Jun 25, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes things do work out as they ought to: my son is well on the road to loving the Moomintroll books just as much as I do. We breezed through this second book in the series really fast -- T was able, without much effort, to persuade Mama to read a chapter aloud pretty much any time of day, as long as he wasn't supposed to be in school.

This charming tale of one Spring and Summer in the lives of the Moomin family picks up where its predecessor left off. Every member of the Moomin household fr
Gina
Mar 15, 2016 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers interested in multicultural children's literature
I read this for a class in college and it is still just as enjoyable as it was then. Though the Moomins are akin to Mickey Mouse in their fame across the sea, reading it always reminds me of Winnie the Pooh (not the books - I haven't read them yet), with little related yet unrelated adventures full of fun and cute, distinctive characters, which don't have to be viewed/read in any particular order to be understood and enjoyed.
Suvi
Whimsical little stories that are tied together by the Hobgoblin's hat, which has the magical power to change things into something else. A lot of these episodic scenes are the ones that I'm most familiar with because of the tv-series.

The Hattifatteners are equally creepy here, and part of the reason why I've never felt comfortable with them is that they look brain-dead. They don't do anything, they just are and wander around in hordes looking like the ghosts of wet socks with limited means of c
Superstine
En av de tidligste mummibøkene, har uten å mene det lest dem nesten omvendt kronologisk - noe som også betyr at jeg startet med de sterkeste bøkene, mummiuniversets og dettes innbyggere vokser seg sterkere, dypere og mørkere etter som årene går. Denne er mest bare kos, lett moro og nostalgi (alle kapitlene her var egne episoder i barnetvserien). Burde kanskje egentlig gi to stjerner, men får meg ikke til å gjøre det.

Nå mangler jeg bare de to først, den med oversvømmelsen og den med kometen.
Birchsilver
May 01, 2016 Birchsilver rated it it was amazing
Aah... really, when I read this book, it couldn't have gotten any better.

But it's been a while. I read it last a year or more ago, so the following will be what I remember.

The illustrations. Incredible. The Moomintrolls are draw so vividly and beautifully. They fit the descriptions perfectly. I have never seen such awesme pictures.

The story is... different. In the best way possible. The characters are incredible, the storyline is so unusual, and it all just blends into one awesome tale.

For anyo
Nikki
Nov 08, 2010 Nikki rated it it was amazing
I loved the Moomins so much as a kid. I don't remember reading them, actually -- surprisingly, no sense of location or of my fingers on the pages comes back to me, though usually I'll remember where I read books and whether my edition was new or old, and the smell of the pages... In any case, I do remember that I loved the Moomins, and it was lovely to curl up and reread now I'm older, and wiser, and really not feeling well.

I do love the range of characters, all with different customs and such,
Cristin
Jul 01, 2007 Cristin rated it it was amazing
Read this one when I was seven...At the time, I didn't understand the concept of "Never judge a book by its cover" (and boy am I glad, as this book's just as good, if not better than it's awesome, mind-candy cover) and at first, I picked this one up solely based on the colorful illustrations on the jacket.
It's still a favorite of mine and reminds me of the absolute wonder of being a kid. This book rocks my world. What a little freakin' treasure chest of glory the Moomintrolls are!
Snufkin is a r
Beka Sukhitashvili
Aug 03, 2015 Beka Sukhitashvili rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finnish
ტუვე გენიოსია.
მარტო ჰატიფნატები რად ღირან.
იმედია, დარჩენილ 5 წიგნსაც ვთარგმნით ქართულად.
Кремена Михайлова
„Едносла! Двесла! ТРИСЛА!”

Задължителна (и) за възрастни.

„- Какво си беше намислил? – попита Магьосника.
- Преценяваща машина! отговори Снорк. – Машина, която преценява дали нещо е справедливо или несправедливо, добро или лошо.
- Прекалено трудно е - каза Магьосника и поклати глава: - Няма да се справя.”

И още – как „Ненужността на всичко” може да се окаже „За необходимостта на всичко”.

Защото „Човек, който яде палачинка със сладко, не може да бъде чак толкова опасен. С него може да се разговаря.”
Sol González
Mar 12, 2015 Sol González rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: infantil, 2015
Ayer por la noche terminé de leer El sombrero del Mago, por Tove Jansson.
Este libro lo encontré una vez en una feria del libro en uno de esos, ahora más raros puestos, en donde se venden libros usados. En este puesto en especial y especialmente esa vez me dejé una pequeña fortuna.

Verán, a veces cuando encuentro libros de editoriales españolas no me puedo resistir, y esto me pasa normalmente con Siruela. Sus libros son hermosos y tan sólo ver el nombre de la editorial es casi una promesa de que
Alberto
Apr 19, 2015 Alberto rated it it was amazing
This is what comes of putting on strange hats you find. Just buy yourself a good hat and stick to it, that's what you need to do. If more people took the liberty to have their own every-day hats these sorts of things wouldn't be happening left and right. What if it wasn't just a hobgoblin it had belonged to and it had been a banshee or evil spirit of some sort?
Daniela
Mar 02, 2016 Daniela rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I am late to the party, but I loved my first Moomins book! Finn Family Moomintroll is an episodic tale of the adventures of Moomin and his friends and family, including a trip to a deserted island, a confrontation with a dark wizard and the loss of Moominmama's handbag and it's retrieval (which might be the most dramatic episode...).

The Moomins' world is quirky, even outright weird in places, touching, wise and filled with scandinavian calm and coziness (the Danish word hygge co
Qt
Jun 24, 2011 Qt rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, fantasy, drama
I loved this book! I thought it was utterly charming and so delightful, and all the adventures of the Moomins and their friends are just so much fun. I loved the writing, and the pictures are cute, as well. Most of this book takes place in the summer, so it was a great seasonal read for me, too.
Crippled_ships
May 22, 2016 Crippled_ships rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
These books fill me with awe and happiness, and just the right amount of melancholia.

And the pictures make me think of something holy and ineffable, much like William Blake's illuminated manuscripts.

If it wasn't for the Moomin books I'd be a poorer and more miserable person.
Eleanor
Aug 16, 2015 Eleanor rated it it was amazing
I loved the Moomin cartoon as a child of the 90s. I've been watching it again online recently, and was pleasantly surprised by the sophistication of the characters and philosophy of the universe Tove Jansson created. There is certainly a great deal for adults to appreciate - and I don't think anyone grows out of thinking the Moomins are adorable creatures! This is the third book I've read, since I am going through the series in order. Judging by reviews, Finn Family Moomintroll seems to be most ...more
nicole
Jul 18, 2008 nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: 7up
Sweet and funny. Jansson has a great voice, speaks matter-of-factly and in a way that's respectful of the child reader; there's no talking down. Perhaps it's just a more European sensibility, but I like it when author's tell it like it is, regardless of the age of the intended audience. Here, as in books by Dahl and the Nicholas series, for example, the authors write people (or moomins) just as they are, even the nasty, grouchy bits. Kids can relate to it and adults get to laugh at the frank nat ...more
ABC
Jun 08, 2010 ABC rated it it was amazing
I read this to myself several years ago and I didn't like it all. I was extremely confused about the characters, the plot seemed to ramble, and it left me with a headachy feeling like I had tried on the magician's hat.

Well, I tried it again--this time I read it aloud to my son. I was prepared to be confused this time. (I had completely forgotten just about everything in it from the last time I read it, so I couldn't rely on my memory to help me out.) And guess what? I actually enjoyed it!

Severa
Rachel
Feb 18, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Strange and otherworldly yet somehow very realistic, I got unexpectedly wrapped up in the world of the Moomins.

A friend who grew up reading obscure Enlgish comics from the 1950's recommended this to me, so my plan was to read it mostly as a concession to her (so that she would have to read Annie Dillard - not exactly a fair trade, in terms of time and effort required...).

But then I loved it. It's odd; it's a children's story with situations revolving around unexplored islands and magical hats, b
Feb 06, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tässä kirjassa tapahtumia riittää! Minulle, joka en juurikaan välittänyt Muumilaakson marraskuusta, Taikurin hattu on kuin nakutettu. Ehkä olen vielä liian lapsi, nuori tai lapsenmielinen, miten sen nyt ottaakaan, koska nautin enemmän seikkailupitoisista kuin vakavammista ja syvällisemmistä Muumeista. Oli asia miten tahansa, niin Taikurin hattu kuljetti minua sulavasti seikkailusta toiseen.

Kirjan rakenne poikkeaa aikaisemmista Muumi-kirjoistani, sillä kirjassa oli vain seitsemän lukua sekä johda
Nancy Snyder
Went with something light for our read by a Finnish author. Adding this one to our list of books with funny interpreting scenes. I'd like to make an animated film of this simple but fun-filled tale of fanciful characters.
Nancy
Mar 19, 2016 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Discovered Moomins in the library of my elementary school (the books, not the actual creatures) and loved them more than anything. I love the feeling of re-living those discoveries!
Zen Cho
Jan 05, 2010 Zen Cho rated it really liked it
Picked this up for 200 yen in a Book Off, though was a bit worried that the books might not be as fun as the comics. But it was so cute! It had all the whimsical charm of the graphic novels -- it helps that it comes with illustrations, but I would have enjoyed it nearly as much without. Moominpappa and Moominmamma are total stereotypes when it comes to gender roles, but oh well. Moominmamma is one of my favourite characters. Not gonna lie, I totally came close to tearing up when she recognised M ...more
Alison
Oct 09, 2011 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Moomins and I love Tove Jansson. They are slightly unsettling books, with strange characters and happenings. Moomintroll, Sniff and Snufkin find the Hobgoblin's magical hat. Things put inside the hat change, causing bizarre happenings. Two weird little characters, Thingummy and Bob, turn up with a ruby that they have stolen from the sinister Groke. They are put on trial, then the Hobgoblin turns up looking for his hat.

I think that these books are wonderful. They provoke a lot of discu
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • Happy Times in Noisy Village
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • Elidor
  • Treasure of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #2)
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Mormor og de åtte ungene i skogen (Eight Children, #2)
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich
  • Jennings & Darbishire
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons, #6)
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...

The Moomins (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)

“It looks rather ordinary," said the Snork. "Unless you consider that a top hat is always somewhat extraordinary, of course.” 36 likes
“Someone who eats pancakes and jam can't be so awfully dangerous. You can talk to him.” 34 likes