Start by marking “How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers” as Want to Read:
How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers

How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,703 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
How to Read a Financial Report Seventh Edition Financial reports provide vital information to investors, lenders, and managers. Yet, the financial statements in a financialreport seem to be written in a foreign language that onlyaccountants can understand. This Seventh Edition of How to Read aFinancial Report breaks through the language barrier, clears awaythe fog, and off ...more
Published April 22nd 2009 by Wiley (first published 1980)

E
Apr 06, 2009 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb guide

Taking the time to learn the basics of reading corporate financial statements can help you become more informed about your investments, your job and your business decisions. John A. Tracy provides a clearly written guide to core financial reports. He shows you how they fit together and why they matter. You will gain confidence as you work through the concepts he explains and begin to use what you learn to dig into the financials of familiar companies. In the hands of a lesser teacher
Max Nova
Mar 21, 2014 Max Nova rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: accounting
"How To Read a Financial Report" is an informative but extremely dull read. It's probably most useful as a reference for later. One great aspect of this book is its focus on how the three main statements: Income Statement, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow fit together. Probably a pretty decent read for an accounting book, but I'd also rather stick a fork in my leg than read books about accounting!
Mohammad.F Jaber
Best part was the one about cash flow from profit and how it departs from net income, the rest was prerequisite information.
Rae Borman
My manager recommended this book to me when I mentioned wanting to build a stronger financial/business acumen. The book went above and beyond in terms of the walk through of a typical financial statement and the interrelationships between the different line items. While my head is still spinning a bit from the volume of content, I do feel better about reviewing a company's financial statement and being able to extract meaning from it.
Mike Gibbs
Good introduction to financial reports and reporting. The only thing I did not like was that I had an older edition of the book, so some of the terminology and examples were a little awkward (such as one example of a depreciating asset being a typewriter!). Other than that, this would be a great first stoop for anyone looking to learn about finance and financial reporting.
Melody
Sep 22, 2010 Melody rated it really liked it
I am not an accountant or a finance major so I found this book to be very helpful. It took a concentrated effort on my part to follow along, but I found that John did an excellent job of reviewing cash flow statements, balance sheets and income statements line by line to increase my understanding. Furthermore, he illustrated the correlations between the reports.
Abel C
Feb 29, 2008 Abel C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly and thoughtfully more opinionated than I would have ever expected from a book on this topic. Gets the job done with a few good "hmmm" moments sprinkled in there. Though, as Tracy stresses GAAP are constantly evolving, so this may be a great introductory course, but I imagine should probably be accompanied by a more recent work on the subject.
Vincent
Dec 28, 2014 Vincent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This was a surprisingly useful book that I've gone back to reference several times after the initial read-through. It's a good guide for students learning the basics, but also it communicates some of the more advanced details like how certain accounts impact each other in each of the financial statements.
Amanda
Feb 01, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-2010
Before taking a finance class in grad school, I had never had any experience in corporate finances. This book was easy to follow and made the concepts easy to understand. It presents practical information that can be used for any organization. Recommended.
Stanley
Nov 01, 2013 Stanley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tracy states that the task of a business manager is threefold: earning profit, keeping the company's financial condition in order, and bringing in cash flow. He details what financial statements say (and what they don't) about the performance of the manager.
Phil
Dec 01, 2012 Phil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is easy to understand, but it shows it's age (written in 1996) and provides only a bare-bones look at reading financial statements. Could serve as an intro to someone coming in completely cold but does not illuminate many complexities.
Darren
Aug 04, 2011 Darren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one for an MBA class too. Pretty good overview of financial reports. It is a pretty good supplement for a financial course, or just interesting if you want to understand reports for the investments you make.
Kimball Ungerman
From Matthew Lampros: a great (little) book that helps you learn exactly what all the financial reports mean so you can read the WSJ
and understand it at a deeper level.
Robert
When I began investing I realized I needed some guidance in how to pore through the financial data. I ordered this. It was helpful in guiding me through statements.
Greg
Jul 09, 2011 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Demystified some things but still seemed a little bit advanced for my lowly mind.
Carole Martell
The guide that all business people should have on a shelf next to them.
elyk
Apr 05, 2007 elyk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
pretty much what the title says it is. and good at that.
David
Joe Siecinski
Joe Siecinski rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Mohammed Alkraidees
Mohammed Alkraidees marked it as to-read
Felix Alabi
Felix Alabi rated it it was amazing
Yahia
Yahia marked it as to-read
Sely1911gmail.Com
Sely1911gmail.Com marked it as to-read
Shivani
Shivani rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Andrejus Patašius
Andrejus Patašius marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Mbongeni Younsmus
Mbongeni Younsmus rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Richard Hannay
Richard Hannay marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Shivanshu Thapliyal
Shivanshu Thapliyal rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
  • Accounting Made Simple: Accounting Explained in 100 Pages or Less
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals