Start by marking “Prime” as Want to Read:
Prime

Prime (Rickey and G-Man #3)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,154 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Two years after the opening of Liquor, New Orleans chefs Rickey and G-man are immersed in the life of their restaurant, enjoying a loyal cast of diners, and cooking great booze-laced food. All’s well until a bad review in a local paper not-so-subtly hints that their “silent” backer, celebrity chef Lenny Duveteaux, has ulterior motives. When Lenny is accused of serious crim ...more
Published March 24th 2010 by Crown (first published March 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Prime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prime

Tom Ratliff
Stacy, did you recommend this writer to me? Or did I read about her in The Advocate? Not sure, but I'm hooked. Two gay chefs who are lovers and who run a successful restaurant in New Orleans go through crime/suspense story, and it's fun and addictive! I'm ordering the rest of her stuff ASAP, especially if on Kindel.
Michael
More of Rickey and Gman's exploits and adventures in the food industry. I wished that this series went on forever.
Ami

Didn't like it as much as Liquor; most probably because I felt the story was rather dragging with the investigation on Lenny, that just ended up going, well, nowhere. I wasn't huge on Rickey going to Dallas, be a consultant for Prime, and had the "brush with temptation" with Cooper Stark.

The story did pick up, I think about the last quarter -- when Cooper (view spoiler) -- and all the conspiracies came to light. I actually noticed the clues in the middle,
Fran
The second in Poppy Z. Brite's Liquor series was just as enjoyable as the first, Liquor. Prime picks up the story of Rickey and G-man, owners of the New Orleans restaurant, Liquor. Prime delves more deeply into their relationship as both business and life partners, as their success as chefs changes everything at a fundamental level. As with Liquor, I love Poppy Z. Brite's engaging and entertaining writing style. Her knowledge of food and the inner workings of the restaurant world create a richly ...more
Goose
I didn't like this one as much as I liked Liquor. It could just be that I read part of Liquor while in New Orleans. Much of Prime seems shrug worthy. While I still like Brite's writing and the main characters of Rickey and G-man, the plot of this book didn't spark great interest until the final third. The supporting characters once again seemed to be trying too hard to be quirky people you might see in a Tarantino movie. Most troubling though was the development of "Most beautiful girl in the wo ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Prime is the second novel . In the New Orleans Kitchen /food/ restaurant series. It,s two years after the opening of Liquor. G-Man and Rickey are doing okay. Rickey wants to fly on his own and not be in debt to Lenny. When Rickey takes on a consulting job that will bring in much needed cash, He meets an old friend and tries to juggle ethics, pride, revenge and political mayhem. Rickey and G-Man are still an interesting and stable couple. very interesting story line.
Heidi
Another story about the life and adventures of G-Man and Ricky, 2 guys who started their own restaurant. Just as the previous book, Liquor, this book is just wonderfully written and you find yourself devouring it sentence by sentence.
Kate
Capiz
Three things I love about this series.

First: This isn't a series about being gay. It isn't a "human interest" book where the sexual orientation of the characters involved is the sole purpose of its existence -- these are stories about food and crime and New Orleans in which the sexuality of the main characters is basically irrelevant. They are gay, but the fact that they're gay has absolutely no bearing on why the rest of the events involved unfold the way they do, any more than it would if the
Joshua Gross
I liked this one a little more than Liquor, but once again I had mixed feelings about it. Rickey's continued insistence on being an ignorant hot-tempered regular joe got on my nerves. He seemed so appalled by Dallas and 'fish out of water' to the extent I thought he might shrivel up and die if he didn't get home to New Orleans soon. I'm surprised his short time in New York didn't cause him to physically explode into nothingness. Rickey seems to revel in his own ignorance, and I just don't unders ...more
Megan
If you have read the first book in Poppy Z. Brite's series, Liquor, you really need to read this sequel. I rated Liquor three stars, but Prime deserves four.

I am about to begin the third book, Soul Kitchen.

Brite writes with such an authentic New Orleans voice. I just love it when I stumble upon references to Louisiana gems such as Frankie and Johnny commercials and sno-balls. I laugh at how all of the local characters just don't understand "dry" counties and giving up beer for Lent.

The setting
Autumn
Rereading this series, I believe Liquor for the third time and this for the second time. Last picked this up 5 or 6 years ago. I love this series, mostly for the two main characters, Rickey and G-Man. The setting is great, the characters are real and fully drawn out, and these books are great at transporting you to someplace new and different. I love the details about the food they cook, the process of creating gourmet food and the day to day business of running a restaurant. Even prep is intere ...more
Teresa
Somehow I ended up reading this series completely out of order. I still haven't read the first book, Liquor, but plan on getting to it.

Loved the story, characters and food descriptions, not to mention the locale...New Orleans. Got a kick out of Chapter 17, Rickey's "crotch rot"(it's not what you think). The little details of life as a chef made this book even more interesting.

Ashland Mystery Oregon
Rickey gets called to consult on a Dallas restaurant, and though reluctant, he and G-Man see the big bucks as a way to gain independence from Lenny. Lovely New Orleans weather, dark familiar streets, seedy secrets and dishonest politicians. Lenny sails through a dicey situation and Rickey and G-man cement and celebrate their love. They continue to celebrate good food at Liquor and mature as chef-restaurant owners.

Lenny is clearly Emeril, but who is Cooper Stark - this dissolute, dubious CIA and
James Berry
I went into this series thinking that I wasn't going to enjoy it. I love Brite's horror work so much and, as someone whose bookshelf comprises mainly of fantasy, sci-fi and the like, I'm generally uninterested in "normal" plots in books. That being said, I can not and will never get enough of Rickey and G-Man. I mean, Liquor was phenomenal - striking the perfect balance of companionship and romance - and Prime does the same, all the while with obstacles, dramatics and the always-glorious artistr ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
The book following Liquor, which I read earlier this year. Rickey and G-Man have been running their restaurant successfully in New Orleans for several years, even attaining somewhat of a local cult status. Rickey is asked to work as a consultant in Dallas, but doesn't know what lurks under the surface of the arrangement. These books are gems, not like much else out there. There is a bit of mystery in each one, but I wouldn't call them mysteries. They are set in restaurants but they aren't foodie ...more
Writerlibrarian
Prime is the second novel in Brite's New Orleans kitchen/food/restaurant universe. It's two years after the opening of Liquor. G-Man and Rickey are doing okay but Rickey wants to fly on its own and not be in debt still with Lenny. Taking a consulting job that will bring much needed cash, Rickey meets an old friend and tries to juggle ethics, pride, revenge and political mayhem. A solid story, Rickey and G-Man are still interesting and one of the most stable couple that can still make me go .. oh ...more
Marie
On goes the story of G-man and Rickey and once again they find themselves in a plot that is beyond their doing.

I got into this one more easily after getting used to the style it's an easy read. That doesn't mean it's not suspenseful because it is and once all the little pieces have been thrown onto the table and things start making sense, it's really, really good. Still not old-Poppy Brite horror brilliant but I like it. A lot.
Vicki
Jul 22, 2008 Vicki rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who liked Liquor
Shelves: own
This is the sequel to 'Liquor' - its written in a similar format, this time the restaurant in question is a steak house.

This is an OK book, if you liked Liquor then you would probably still enjoy it. However its both very similar to Liquor, and different in ways that make it worse. For example, I found some of the events in Prime more unrealistic and over the top, so I lost some of my identification with the characters.
K.Z. Snow
I spent the weekend with Rickey and G-man. That alone makes me happy. Okay, so the criminal shenanigans were pretty loose-seamed and loopy, but those two characters are so gritty and grounded and unabashedly loving, anything they get involved in hooks me from the get-go. I'll suspend disbelief from here to Wonderland to get me my Rickey and G-man fix. I just adore them.
Eamon
The second in the Liquor series, taking in Dallas as another location, and more twists, turns, and trouble for the two chefs, Rickey and G-Man. More great food talk, conspiracy and corruption, and plenty of alcohol permeate the story, and it's a thoroughly enjoyable followup to "Liquor".
Julia Phillips
Leaving the goth scene far behind, Brite nevertheless remains with her beloved New Orleans and in the series of books about chefs and restaurants (yes, chefs and restaurants) has launched two of her most lovable characters. Very quirky, very good fun, and very well written.
Stéphanie
Great ! Prime is as entertaining as Liquor, still funny and the relationship between G-Man and Ricky is cute and realistic. Prime is a non-stop page turner and when you reach the end, you know that you have to read the sequel as soon as possible !
maven
Good, with some parts that were a bit annoying. I felt like the inclusion of any women was rather noticeable, and the email/online chat references were tacky. All right otherwise though and I might read the next book when it comes out.
Tammy
I'm a little sad that Poppy traded in the Goth scene and got her grown-up on but I love her writing.

I am not a foodie but enjoyed meeting G-man and Rickey. I have to backtrack and read Liquor. Very fun, fast, enjoyable read.
Kate
I really enjoyed this book. I read Liquor: A Novel and I thought it was just okay. I bought this one anyway and I am so glad I did. I really liked this story and found it captivating. I'll have to buy the next one in the series now.
Pineapple
It started off a little slow, but then I really got wrapped up in the politics and corruption. The downside of this book was that all that talk of good food made me hungry the whole time I read it.
Nov 22, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies, those who love or long to see New Orleans
Recommended to Jennifer by: Poppy Z. Brite (via her blog)
The second installment in Poppy Z. Brite's New Orleans restaurant series. Not as good as Liquor, but still an enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to the third and, so far, final.
Wysterria
I love Rickey and G-Man! I love picturing two tough guys from Ninth Ward in NOLA growing up together, falling in love, and being these cute little restaurateurs...
Dianne Hartsock
In this sequel to 'Liquor', Brite doesn't disappoint. Rickey is as maddening as ever, with G-man rivaling Ghost(Lost Souls) for my affections.
  • Murder of Angels (Silk, #2)
  • What We Do Is Secret
  • Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?
  • The God Eaters
  • Shadows Return (Nightrunner, #4)
  • On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)
  • The Wraiths of Will and Pleasure (Wraeththu Histories, #1)
  • Comfort and Joy
  • Kicked Out
  • The Sound of Building Coffins
  • The Catch Trap
  • The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl
  • Ferrets For Dummies
Poppy Z. Brite (born Melissa Ann Brite, now going by Billy Martin) is an American author born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about his gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. He self-identifies almost completely as a homosexual male rather than female, and as of 2011 has started taking testosterone injections. His male name is Billy Martin.

He
More about Poppy Z. Brite...

Rickey and G-Man (6 books)
  • The Value of X
  • Liquor
  • Soul Kitchen
  • D*U*C*K
  • Second Line: Two Short Novels of Love and Cooking in New Orleans
Lost Souls Drawing Blood Exquisite Corpse Wormwood: A Collection of Short Stories Liquor