Start by marking “My School's a Zoo!” as Want to Read:
My School's a Zoo!

My School's a Zoo!

Every school has its share of bookworms.

Some schools have bugs in their computers.

And lots of schools have spelling bees. But this school has bears. This school has owls. This school is a ZOO!

Imagination runs wild in this fun-filled story about a school packed with pythons, teeming with tigers, and swimming with starfish. Stu Smith's lively text and David Catrow's hilariou
Published June 29th 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about My School's a Zoo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My School's a Zoo!

Dolly
Feb 12, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love David Catrow's illustrations. One of our favorite books that he's illustrated is I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen Beaumont; we are always looking for more of his books at our local library.

In honor of the 100th day of school, we thought we'd read some more school-themed books and this one looked like it would be an entertaining read.

The rhyming narrative is silly and fun to read aloud, but the crazy animal-themed illustrations were the highlight of the book. The story is quit
Maggie Cook
Title: My School’s A Zoo

Author: Stu Smith

Illustrator: David Catrow

Type of Book (format and literary genre): Picture Book/Fantasy

Awards the book has received (national): None

Short original summary of the main plot, describe the content and themes of the book: Yesterday theyw went to the zoo on a field trip. The next day the boy wakes up to go to school, everything is different. Everyone was turned into zoo animals. At breakfast his parents and sister were zoo animals. On the bus the driver and o
Jenn Swanson
Nov 16, 2016 Jenn Swanson rated it really liked it
A kid goes on a field-trip to the zoo and the next day hallucinates that EVERYONE is an animal. Definitely an interesting story and my daughter did enjoy the illustrations.
Lashae Rhodes
Jul 19, 2013 Lashae Rhodes rated it liked it
The author used the aspect of a sense of place in a playful manner. Every sentence was the illustrating the environment the story was taking place. The author was describing the characters, the room, and the objects inside each room the main character was in at the moment.I think the author did well at creating a fake reality of the school really being a zoo. There was not one thing that was left unturned and not illustrated well in the book. If there were not any school material present the ...more
Courtney Gregory
Apr 07, 2014 Courtney Gregory rated it it was amazing
My School’s A Zoo is written by Stu Smith. This book is about a little boy who visits the zoo and from then on, his entire world is consumed and inhabited by animals. This is a wacky and imaginative tale that the students will love. The illustrations are just as creative and wacky as the text is explaining. Ordinary situations for the boy are flipped upside down to make these crazy situations and series of events. Just as the little boy’s world starts to return to normal, he is planned to take a ...more
Jenny
Sep 30, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, school
This book is worth checking out for the illustrations alone. This is the same illustrator who did Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon and I Like Myself!. The vibrant colors and and playful characters make this book jump to life. The narration is written in rhyme, and the story itself is left open for some interpretation. This is a fun read-aloud/GLTA for a younger student.
Teri
Oct 03, 2010 Teri rated it really liked it
Following a field trip to the zoo, a boy wakes up to find that everyone in his world has turned into an animal. His day begins with breakfast with a zebra and rhino (his parents). At school, he sees lions in the lunchroom and hyenas on the playground. When things return to normal, he begins to worry about the next field trip: a visit to a dinosaur display.

Audience/Age Level:
Instructional Ideas:
Katherine
I think this book would be so great to read to children on the first day of school. This would be such a good way to break the ice and get the children to start warming up to you and to each other with a little bit of laughter. Children can let their imaginations run wild with this book, and some might dream about things like this happening at night when they are sleeping. It has the most wonderful, vibrant illustrations which is something that every child can relate to. Very good!
Amanda Denter
Mar 06, 2014 Amanda Denter rated it really liked it
My School’s a Zoo is an interesting book with a lot of zoo animals in it. The young boy went to the zoo and then imagined all the animals as the teacher and principal at his school. He described his teacher as a bear and the school nurse as a bat all through rhyme. At the end of the story he realized it was his imagination playing tricks on him and bore did the bus. This was a very good way of displaying the powers of the imagination.
May 16, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
This was an imaginative and fun little book. I was entertained by the odd assortment of creatures that inhabited the school and how some of the characteristics of the animals were similar to the people they were portraying. I liked the illustrations as well. I would probably recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Deborah Harris
Jul 22, 2016 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-3, a32
AR Quiz No. 80676 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP

So funny! I love the rhyme and rhythm of this story. It moves so smoothly page to page making listening and reading fun. This would be a great introduction to poetry to get the students thinking about what makes the story rhyme and how the author created the rhythm.
Elaine
May 16, 2013 Elaine rated it really liked it
An entertaining rhyming tale about something nor being quite right in as zoo animals and other creatures appear to take over the school. The illustrations were vivid, interesting and really flowed with this rhyming tale. It would've been nice if the book was a little bigger to appeal to the illustrations. This would make a great storybook for older preschool/early kindergartener age range.
Gustavo Garcia II
Apr 05, 2012 Gustavo Garcia II rated it it was amazing
This book is fun and interesting. It is written in a narrative and humorous poetic style. It really captures the wild imagination of a child. The young boy in the story had just come from a field trip to the zoo. During the net day, everyone was some sort of zoo animal in his eyes. This book is great for all children and would make a great contribution to any classroom library.
April Castle
Apr 25, 2011 April Castle rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book, poetry
This rhyming picture/poetry book tells about a class that went to the zoo and a boys imagination is running wild in school. He sees the animals from the zoo throughout his school. This book creates a outrageous scenes about zoo animals in schools. It may however be seen as stereotyping characters in the book and poking fun at others. Not the best book to use in school.
Nanci Booher
This is such a fun book to read out loud...especially to kinders....the kids were cracking up. David Catrow's illustrations were fantastic. Told in rhyming text this one is going in my permanent arsenal of great reads!
Jennifer Bryant
Imagination runs wild in this book. At a little boys school there are animals everywhere instead of students and teachers. There are bears, pythons, tigers, etc. Kids would love reading this book. Awesome illustrates to go with it.
Melissa
Jan 21, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the creativity and the puns throughout the book. Sadly my kids never saw them, and did not enjoyed it as much as I did. I would not mind rereading this book to the end of the school year. For anyone working with kids, get this book. You will enjoy every page of this book.
Danielle Monroe
Mar 01, 2010 Danielle Monroe rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is great for a lesson on real and imaginary! The students absolutely love it because they think it's hilarious and it provides a lot of examples of real things and imaginary things.
Tierra Garr
After a trip to the zoo, this little boy goes to school the next day and finds everyone as an animal!
Aimee
Feb 17, 2013 Aimee rated it it was amazing
Kids will love this crazy story of a boy who imagines his teacher, bus driver, friends, and school nurse as zoo animals! The pictures are great and the rhyming scheme will keep kids interested.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 80676 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Joe
Jan 28, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing
This was a great rhyming book for my third grade students. It has a few words above our reading level, but the students were able to figure them out using context clues and word attack skills.
Shawna Vanhoorik
The illustrations are the highlight of this book, which were done by David Catrow. This is a well written book for any age child.
Lajune Neal
Jun 22, 2011 Lajune Neal rated it really liked it
I thought this was a cute little story and I enjoyed how imagination ran wild in this book. This story is great to read to little children and also is great to use when focusing on rhyming words.
Kathryn Zebrowski-Wray
Jul 09, 2015 Kathryn Zebrowski-Wray rated it really liked it
Great for a read aloud in the first week of school. I love David Catrow's illustrations and the rhythm set forth in the wording by Stu Smith.
Sharlene Spencer
Nov 06, 2009 Sharlene Spencer rated it liked it
A little boy sees his school from a totally different point of view after his visit at the zoo. This book has a lot of rhyming words.
Lisa
Apr 11, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
This book explores imagination and is a great story to talk to your students about what is real and what is fantasy. I like to read this book the first week of school.
Anna Johnson
great book for encouraging imagination and making predictions, discuss real or make believe and what do the children think will happen after the field trip to the dinosaur museum.
Stacy Renee
This is the second picture book I've read recently that is illustrated by David Catrow and I'm really starting to love his work.
Theresa
Theresa rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Animal Strike at the Zoo. It's True!
  • The Tale of Tricky Fox
  • Plantzilla
  • Froggy Goes to School
  • Dora Loves Boots
  • Going to Sleep on the Farm
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • What You Know First (Trophy Picture Books)
  • It's a Secret!