Start by marking “The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)

The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher #5)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,383 Ratings  ·  253 Reviews
4.5-star review on amazon.com.Phryne Fisher is doing one of her favorite things -dancing at the Green Mill (Melbourne's premier dance hall) to the music of Tintagel Stone's Jazzmakers, the band who taught St Vitus how to dance. And she's wearing a sparkling lobelia-coloured georgette dress. Nothing can flap the unflappable Phryne -especially on a dance floor with so many d ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by Bolinda Publishing (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Mill Murder, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Melanie Donovan Thank you! That has been bugging me! I thought it was such a weird choice to leave the murder unsolved (at least officially, since Phryne did say she…moreThank you! That has been bugging me! I thought it was such a weird choice to leave the murder unsolved (at least officially, since Phryne did say she knew who did it).(less)

Nikki
This is what, by now, counts as a fairly typical story for Phryne, featuring two different lovers, some acts of derring-do, and little glimpses of the found-family going on with Ruth, Jane, Bert, Cec, the Butlers, Dot, and Phryne. Oh, and some very unpleasant people in society. Actually, I would quite like to see Phryne getting on with some people that she doesn’t want to sleep with and doesn’t despise, in her own social class… not that social class matters much to her; it just feels like a gap. ...more
Rachel
Apr 24, 2009 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've got to confess...I was very disappointed with this book. Usually Kerry Greenwood has a tight, clean, writing style, but this one was vague and all over the place. It seemed to be more of a showcase on the research that Ms. Greenwood did on 1920s jazz. In most mystery stories, it is common practice at the end of the book to actually solve the murder. But the murder is never solved! Instead, we are detoured to endure a sounding board for gay rights and a look into emotional abuse. That's fine ...more
Anastasia
Jul 15, 2015 Anastasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Green Mill murder by Kerry Greenwood is the 5th book in the Phryne Fisher Murder mystery series. Phryne is attending a dance competition at the Green Mill when one of the competitors is stabbed dead without anyone noticing anything. I enjoyed this book very much. I listened to the Audible versionwhich added to my enjoyment as the narrator did a wonderful job in bringing the different characters to life and also sung the jazz and blues songs. It also included an interview with the author at t ...more
Text Addict
I'm wishing now that I wasn't reading these out of order, because this volume is much improved over the #2 and #3 that I have read. Greenwood slows down a bit in order to describe things more, and allow the characters (and readers) more time to absorb events rather than skip along just taking note of them.

The Great War continues to be a background theme - much as it was to Australian life at the time (the 1920s), I'm sure. It's more directly so here, as one of the key characters "had a bad war,
Maggie Anton
Jun 24, 2015 Maggie Anton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series is getting better with each book. The characters in this one really came to life, and I appreciated how the realities of WW1 came into it.

One BIG problem for those reading the hardcover version - THE LAST CHAPTER IS MISSING. Thus I only found out the murderer's identity and motive by reading Goodreads reviews. The publisher will send a pdf of the final chapter if a readers emails them for it, but I didn't know this until later.
Richard Derus
Rating: 2.5* of five

Okay, no adolescent girls in jeopardy this time, so I will continue reading the books.

Phryne does, however, interact with two more stereotypes: The neurasthenic, crying gay interior decorator and the outdoorsy, rough lesbian couple.

Try something a little less cardboard, Miss Greenwood. I am losing heart.

The structure of the book isn't great. The eponymous murder takes place, is investigated, and left unresolved. I think I know who did it, but I have no idea why...or at least
Bryan Higgs
I discovered this series a while ago, and they are rather a lot of fun. The protagonist, Phryne Fisher is an interesting and definitely risqué character who solves murders which seem to happen quite a bit around her -- rather like many detectives in the literature. The location is interesting -- Melbourne, Australia -- as is the timeframe -- post WW1. The writing is quite entertaining, and the plots interesting -- on the whole, a good, light read.

My wife and I have been enjoying the "Miss Fisher
Ken Fredette
Apr 17, 2015 Ken Fredette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the best book so far for Phryne Fisher. It was changed drastically from the book for the TV story. I love to watch the TV version anyway 6 or 7 times.
Cissa
Nov 06, 2015 Cissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so much, I have to be careful in doling it out to myself! I want it to last!

(My edition, bought 10-2015, is complete. If you get one that is missing pages, I'd suggest either returning it to Amazon or contacting Poisoned Pen Press directly.)

This is an excellent mystery, piquing my interest in both the origins of jazz, the legal riskiness of homosexuality (male), and some of the effects of the Great War on the men that fought in it.

As with the previous books, while some of the
Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)
I can't say this is the best of the Phryne Fisher series. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I'm rather disappointed in it. While it had all of Greenwood's typical style and verve, the story was quite poor. Phryne never solved the main mystery. Or, to be more correct, she solves it, but then she flies off to solve another case and leaves the reader hanging as to who committed the Green Mill murder. Perhaps Greenwood is counting on clever readers to figure it out for themselves and to deduce how it ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Sep 02, 2012 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kerry Greenwood has done it again. In the Honorable Phryne Fisher's fifth outing in The Green Mill Murder, one of the contestants in a dance marathon collapses after having been stabbed in the heart and Phryne literally trips over him. Phryne's escort for the evening, Charles Freeman, an effete, selfish Momma's boy, is initially accused of the murder. Freeman's overbearing mother hires Phryne to clear her son.

Phryne solves the mystery of this death at the Green Mill, Melbourne's finest dance cl
LJ
THE GREEN MILL MURDER (Private Investigator-Australia-1920s) – VG
Greenwood, Kerry – 5th in series
McPhee Gribble, 1993- Aus. Paperback
Phryne Fisher attends the last day of a dance marathon with her friend Charles. When another dancer is murdered, Charles disappears. In order to protect the family estate, Charles' mother hires Phryne to find Charles' brother, who went to the Outback after WWI. In the meantime, the blues singer at the club where the murder occurred, asks Phryne to find her missing
Jann Barber
I read this entry in the Phryne Fisher series while in a lot of pain from kidney stones, so perhaps this is why I feel as if I missed the answer to one of the mysteries.

Phryne is attending a dance competition and is present when one of the contestants drops dead on the dance floor, stabbed by a knife/hatpin. A jazz band is playing, and Phryne becomes smitten with one of the players, because it's Phryne!

Her dance partner, Charles, rushes to the bathroom, having stated that he has never seen a cor
Lovepat
I have now read 5 of the Phryne Fisher series by kerry Greenwood and have enjoyed them. I finally know how to pronounce the first name of the heroine- FRY-NEE- thanks Jann!
I have been looking for light entertaining reading this summer and these books fill the bill. The escapades and personality of a 1920's "modern" woman are quite entertaining. Love the descriptions of clothing, food, and the social/political climate of the times. Interesting era-appropriate vocabulay, humor and a well defined
Matt Williams
Sep 10, 2014 Matt Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book receives three stars for being a typical Phryne Fisher mystery. Fun elements, wry humor, the characters we know and love. There is a particularly enjoyable section which captures a 1920's flight through the Australian Alps which managed to capture both the beauty of the terrain and the social aspects of early flight.

This book earns its fourth star simply for Wom, the Wombat. Everybody loves Wombats!
Linnea
Sep 09, 2015 Linnea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly entertaining and classy mystery story. Phryne is great as a no-nonsense lady detective and her posse is precious and goodhearted. Atmosphere of the 1920's Australia is interesting and new compared to the usual European/American landscape and the mysteries are clever without trying too hard. Very entertaining read in a compact form.
Leah
A lot of the earlier Phryne Fishers are a little shaky to start with, as this is, but this one builds up and becomes a lot more enjoyable as it progresses. I find she takes a little too much time describing the appearance of every character and that this doesn't help much in illustrating their personas, and that the secondary characters are pretty one-dimensional, but it doesn't detract from a simple enjoyment of the series.
The final act, set in the remote mountains outside of Melbourne, is brea
Donna
Nov 05, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2014
This has been my favorite of this series so far. This is somewhat unexpected because the focus is not particularly on the mystery; instead we get a more introspective Phryne and an interesting encounter in the Bush with a war-scarred veteran.
Amy
Nov 01, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit more introspective than the other books, but I rather liked that! It was quieter and more focused on Phryne than the murder, though there were still two mysteries here to solve. Unfortunately, my library copy seems to have been one published with the last chapter and a half missing, and I had to buy the ebook just so I could finish reading it! Still not at all bad overall.
Penny
This was the one about flying ( read three of them one after another. The Flying sequence very interesting.
Mands
S'hi
Apr 08, 2016 S'hi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australia, crime
Curious about the popularity of Kerry Greenwood’s writing I plunge in to read five novels in two and half days. They are both easy and challenging. The untouchable central character is ravishingly sensuous. Her deportment, wardrobe and cuisine a lifestyle propounded for selective consumption and delightful allusion among her many followers.

All the elements are here: exotic people in well-known places, ordinary folk in outrageous situations, questions where questions should be and answers that sa
Kb
In this story, there are a few related cases that Phryne gets involved in as a result of the central "whodunnit", which is a murder that takes place at a dance marathon in the Green Mill jazz club. (I'm glad I got to read a complete version of the book. I would not have liked it if the last chapter, where the central mystery is resolved, were missing.)

The book is full of stereotypes, one running joke being about the temperament of trumpet players. However, I did not find them particularly intrus
Ilona
Mar 31, 2014 Ilona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-mystery, 2014
Phryne Fisher mysteries are lovely, light, rollicking reads that bounce along at a good clip. This was no exception. I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of the Australian alps -- had never even heard of them prior to this book, and will probably do a little research and find out more.

As with every Greenwood novel, there are two threads: the main mystery and a secondary one. The main mystery is the death of the man on the dance floor, the secondary involve a missing brother. (I have a sneakin
Nicole Field
Nov 06, 2015 Nicole Field rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness, what a load of fantastic 1920s LGBT representation in this novel! Phryne starts this story in the middle of a speakeasy, where someone--predictably--is murdered at the end of a dance off. The comments from the policemen who have noted by now that Phryne always seems to be in the place where these things happen were highly amusing.

Amusingly enough, it appears that Phyne's escort of the night, a gentleman by the name of Charles Freeman, who is most under suspicion for the murder t
Learnin Curve
The singing on the audio book version sounds like someone is torturing a cat.
Melissa
I was confused at the end if this one because the main murder is left unsolved. Apparently some copies of this book are missing the final chapter where the main mystery is solved. Unfortunately my library's copy is one of those. I was able to learn the identity of the murderer in other reviews. Even apart from that, this one lacks some of the sparkle of earlier novels. I'll keep reading, but I'm pretty unhappy with this one in the series.
Rose
May 19, 2016 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I wasn't particularly looking forward to this one -- of the half dozen episodes of "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" I made it through, this was the one I best remembered, and I hated starting a book I nominally knew the ending to. I also wasn't particularly feeling it through the first few chapters, and I found myself wondering if this one was going to be my first two-star Phryne Fisher book.

So imagine my surprise to discover that, of the six Phryne books I've read so far, this one is far and a
Susan
Mar 06, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
**Spoilers** sort of

This book is a departure for Phryne Fisher. She doesn't solve the murder, and she doesn't care. Very unlike Phyrne, but in this case, I rather agreed with her. The murder victim, tripped over by Phyrne on the dance floor of a ritzy club, is a blackmailer, as it turns out, and Phryne really doesn't care who murdered him - he was not a nice man.

Now, the mystery of what happened to the older brother of Phryne's dance partner the night of the murder wants to be solved, and Phryn
Grey853
Jun 30, 2014 Grey853 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Queen of Hearts (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #8)
  • A Woman Unknown (Kate Shackleton, #4)
  • A Decline in Prophets (Rowland Sinclair #2)
  • Love Songs from a Shallow Grave (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #7)
  • Silent Murders (Roaring Twenties Mystery, #2)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)
  • Away with the Fairies (Phryne Fisher, #11)

“No cook can ignore the opinion of a man who asks for three helpings. One is politeness, two is hunger, but three is a true and cherished compliment.” 5 likes
“Padre always told me me language was sulphurous.” 0 likes