Start by marking “The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)

The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher #5)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,220 ratings  ·  168 reviews
4.5-star review on amazon.com.Phryne Fisher is doing one of her favorite things -dancing at the Green Mill (Melbourne's premier dance hall) to the music of Tintagel Stone's Jazzmakers, the band who taught St Vitus how to dance. And she's wearing a sparkling lobelia-coloured georgette dress. Nothing can flap the unflappable Phryne -especially on a dance floor with so many d ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by Bolinda Publishing (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Mill Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Mill Murder

Rachel
I've got to confess...I was very disappointed with this book. Usually Kerry Greenwood has a tight, clean, writing style, but this one was vague and all over the place. It seemed to be more of a showcase on the research that Ms. Greenwood did on 1920s jazz. In most mystery stories, it is common practice at the end of the book to actually solve the murder. But the murder is never solved! Instead, we are detoured to endure a sounding board for gay rights and a look into emotional abuse. That's fine ...more
Text Addict
I'm wishing now that I wasn't reading these out of order, because this volume is much improved over the #2 and #3 that I have read. Greenwood slows down a bit in order to describe things more, and allow the characters (and readers) more time to absorb events rather than skip along just taking note of them.

The Great War continues to be a background theme - much as it was to Australian life at the time (the 1920s), I'm sure. It's more directly so here, as one of the key characters "had a bad war,
Bryan Higgs
I discovered this series a while ago, and they are rather a lot of fun. The protagonist, Phryne Fisher is an interesting and definitely risqué character who solves murders which seem to happen quite a bit around her -- rather like many detectives in the literature. The location is interesting -- Melbourne, Australia -- as is the timeframe -- post WW1. The writing is quite entertaining, and the plots interesting -- on the whole, a good, light read.

My wife and I have been enjoying the "Miss Fisher
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 2.5* of five

Okay, no adolescent girls in jeopardy this time, so I will continue reading the books.

Phryne does, however, interact with two more stereotypes: The neurasthenic, crying gay interior decorator and the outdoorsy, rough lesbian couple.

Try something a little less cardboard, Miss Greenwood. I am losing heart.

The structure of the book isn't great. The eponymous murder takes place, is investigated, and left unresolved. I think I know who did it, but I have no idea why...or at least
Kenneth Fredette
This was the best book so far for Phryne Fisher. It was changed drastically from the book for the TV story. I love to watch the TV version anyway 6 or 7 times.
Lolly's Library
I can't say this is the best of the Phryne Fisher series. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I'm rather disappointed in it. While it had all of Greenwood's typical style and verve, the story was quite poor. Phryne never solved the main mystery. Or, to be more correct, she solves it, but then she flies off to solve another case and leaves the reader hanging as to who committed the Green Mill murder. Perhaps Greenwood is counting on clever readers to figure it out for themselves and to deduce how it ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Kerry Greenwood has done it again. In the Honorable Phryne Fisher's fifth outing in The Green Mill Murder, one of the contestants in a dance marathon collapses after having been stabbed in the heart and Phryne literally trips over him. Phryne's escort for the evening, Charles Freeman, an effete, selfish Momma's boy, is initially accused of the murder. Freeman's overbearing mother hires Phryne to clear her son.

Phryne solves the mystery of this death at the Green Mill, Melbourne's finest dance cl
Jann Barber
I read this entry in the Phryne Fisher series while in a lot of pain from kidney stones, so perhaps this is why I feel as if I missed the answer to one of the mysteries.

Phryne is attending a dance competition and is present when one of the contestants drops dead on the dance floor, stabbed by a knife/hatpin. A jazz band is playing, and Phryne becomes smitten with one of the players, because it's Phryne!

Her dance partner, Charles, rushes to the bathroom, having stated that he has never seen a cor
Lovepat
I have now read 5 of the Phryne Fisher series by kerry Greenwood and have enjoyed them. I finally know how to pronounce the first name of the heroine- FRY-NEE- thanks Jann!
I have been looking for light entertaining reading this summer and these books fill the bill. The escapades and personality of a 1920's "modern" woman are quite entertaining. Love the descriptions of clothing, food, and the social/political climate of the times. Interesting era-appropriate vocabulay, humor and a well defined
Matt Williams
This book receives three stars for being a typical Phryne Fisher mystery. Fun elements, wry humor, the characters we know and love. There is a particularly enjoyable section which captures a 1920's flight through the Australian Alps which managed to capture both the beauty of the terrain and the social aspects of early flight.

This book earns its fourth star simply for Wom, the Wombat. Everybody loves Wombats!
Leah
A lot of the earlier Phryne Fishers are a little shaky to start with, as this is, but this one builds up and becomes a lot more enjoyable as it progresses. I find she takes a little too much time describing the appearance of every character and that this doesn't help much in illustrating their personas, and that the secondary characters are pretty one-dimensional, but it doesn't detract from a simple enjoyment of the series.
The final act, set in the remote mountains outside of Melbourne, is brea
Donna
This has been my favorite of this series so far. This is somewhat unexpected because the focus is not particularly on the mystery; instead we get a more introspective Phryne and an interesting encounter in the Bush with a war-scarred veteran.
Penny
This was the one about flying ( read three of them one after another. The Flying sequence very interesting.
Mands
Ilona
Phryne Fisher mysteries are lovely, light, rollicking reads that bounce along at a good clip. This was no exception. I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of the Australian alps -- had never even heard of them prior to this book, and will probably do a little research and find out more.

As with every Greenwood novel, there are two threads: the main mystery and a secondary one. The main mystery is the death of the man on the dance floor, the secondary involve a missing brother. (I have a sneakin
Melissa
I was confused at the end if this one because the main murder is left unsolved. Apparently some copies of this book are missing the final chapter where the main mystery is solved. Unfortunately my library's copy is one of those. I was able to learn the identity of the murderer in other reviews. Even apart from that, this one lacks some of the sparkle of earlier novels. I'll keep reading, but I'm pretty unhappy with this one in the series.
Renae
This series continues to be exciting and one-of-a-kind, with the Hon. Phryne Fisher as Melbourne's #1 lady detective. The Green Mill Murder is about crimes committed in jazz clubs and missing shell-shocked brothers, and Greenwood does a wonderful job handling both plotlines. This is the first book in the series that takes Phryne outside of Melbourne, and I thought her adventures in the bush were fun and a nice change of pace (though thankfully for both readers and for Phryne, not a permanent one ...more
Grey853
Beth E
This book was weird. I mean, it was really good, and I really enjoyed it. The thing is, Phryne was sort of dabbling in solving the murder at the Green Mill. She even says to one character that revealing the murderer isn't important to her, which is contrary to her attitude in some other books.

Once she solves the murder, she goes off to the outback for a week, promising to reveal the answer when she gets back. Which would place everyone else in danger if the murderer heard he was about to be rev
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Another sleepless night, another light-as-air read courtesy of Kerry Greenwood. This time Pryne meets murder on the dancefloor as a marathon dancer drops dead in mid-foxtrot. Miss Fisher realises all is not lovely in the world of jazz, and heads off in her Moth for the mountains of Australia in search of a recalcitrant heir with shell-shock. There's no resident Chinese lover at this point to keep her from seducing the men of her choice--though one wonders if his presence would have made much dif ...more
Emma
Yet another great Phryne Fisher novel by Kerry Greenwood! These books are such fun while being well written. You can tell that a lot of research has gone into them to make sure the facts and the 1920s Melbourne places are correct.

Onto the next one!
Nick
I've been quietly enjoying these Phryne Fisher novels, however this one seemed in some ways to be a cut above the earlier books. It's still much the same pattern of multiple, intertwining investigations and colourful characters, however there was something about the descriptions of the first world war, the depictions of those scarred by it, and the absolute foulness of one of the characters (and Phryne's reaction to this character in the end) that stepped the entire book up that extra star.

When
Linda
In The Green Mill Murder author Kerry Greenwood strayed a little from her usual format in regard to the completion of the novel. If you like to have a nice clean resolution when you read a murder mystery then you might want to steer clear of this one.

I quite liked the culture of jazz that Phryne is surrounded by in the beginning of this novel. Kerry has a lovely way of winding history or interesting titbits into her stories. They are not always necessary but they are entertaining. At one point
A.M.
Phryne Fisher is circling around the dance floor at the Green Mill with Charles, when another dancer drops dead in front of them. She’s seen a dead body before, so she isn’t too horrified, but Charles races off to be sick. Other dancers collapse as well, but they have a good excuse, they were in the dance marathon and the dead man was part of the other last couple standing. They’ve been dancing for more than forty hours.
When the police arrive, Charles is long gone, the dead man’s partner is hyst
Deirdre
I did prefer the TV episode of this one, but then again I have preferred the TV show over the books up to this point.

Phryne is at the Green Mill dance hall, dancing for a while with the members of a competitors in a dance marathon. When she trips over the body of one of the competitors, realises that it's murder and investigates. This leads her into family secrets and lives of some people that they want kept secret.

All in all it's a fun read, I like seeing a slightly different view of the charac
Stephanie
This 5th installment in the Phryne Fisher series seemed like two books in one. I enjoyed the second half of this book more than the first. As the other reviewers mentioned, we never really learned "who done it", but it was hinted at pretty strongly, so it didn't really matter in the end.

The first half, as other reviewers noted, was pretty heavy on jazz history that seemed to have little to do with the story. Also, having followed immediately after a book where she adopted two girls, there was a
Charmaine Clancy
Starting this series is like opening a family block of chocolate. You say you'll just break off one tiny square... but no one ever stops there.
Ronda Emele sherwood
I started watching the Australian television series these books are based on. It was an entertaining series so I decided to read one of the books. I was pleasantly surprised that the stories, while similar, contained enough differences to make the book a new experience from the television show... so I continued to read more books. This book, like the others before it, isn't exactly literary genious, but it is a nice way to pass the time. Short reads, interesting information and an acceptable sto ...more
Nicholas
Another excellent addition in the Phryne Fisher series. For some reason it didn't strike me as being as absolutely marvelous as the previous entry in the series. This is not a criticism, I just liked the political aspects of the dockworkers and anarchists a wee bit more.

In this entry Phryne works with jazz musicians, shell shocked veterans, and a broken family of privilege. She escapes Melbourne for a trip to the Australian Alps and the change of scenery was quite well done.

I'm more sold on the
Laura Rittenhouse
The Phryne Fisher books are very hard not to enjoy. They are silly in a rather lovely way. The plot is thin but the writing bounds along and it's fun to just get lost in the story. I'm not big on fashion and food which are trademarks of this series (or is it this author?) but nothing is overdone, including the suspense.

This specific book is much like the other one I've read. I didn't start from the beginning of the series and will never read them all, but they are perfect if you want something
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Queen of Hearts (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #8)
  • Lucianna (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #3)
  • My Highland Lover (Highland Hearts, #1)
  • A Bitter Truth (Bess Crawford, #3)
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • Marks of Admar (Champions of Terra, #4)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs #10)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)
  • Away With the Fairies
Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2) Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3) Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4) Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)

“No cook can ignore the opinion of a man who asks for three helpings. One is politeness, two is hunger, but three is a true and cherished compliment.” 3 likes
“Padre always told me me language was sulphurous.” 0 likes