Start by marking “Heidi” as Want to Read:
Heidi

Heidi

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  622 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Johanna Spyri's classic story of a young orphan sent to live with her grumpy grandfather in the Swiss Alps is retold in it's entirety in this beautifully bound hardcover edition. Heidi has charmed and intrigued readers since it's original publication in 1880. Much more than a children's story, the narrative is also a lesson on the precarious nature of freedom, a luxury too ...more
Unknown Binding
Published January 1st 2002 by Abdo Pub Co (E) (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Heidi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heidi

Indira
I found a first edition of this book and reread it with total enjoyment and contentment. I hadn't remembered it contained such uplifting inspiration. As for the descriptions of scenery, the scents of flowers, and fresh mountain air, I felt I was there. Even the goat milk and cheese sound wonderful, though I am not sure how much I'd like them in real life. Having been to the Swiss Alps a few times, I can vouch for the beauty. We should all meet a sweet girl like Heidi and have such friendly relat ...more
Debbie Lee
HAPPINESS

This book brings happiness to sad people or sick people . I would recommend this book to people in wheelchairs. There's a girl who recovers from spending her life in a wheelchair because of good mountain air.
Kathleen Rovner
The first ever 'big' book I read by myself. I hope my daughter will read it one day.
Jo
loved this book when I was younger. It was fun to read it again with Addie.
Gabe Romo
What a classic and a beautiful story. I just love this book so much.
jeevitha
it is my fav story
i had got this book in my school
Loretta
Absolutely loved this book as a child!
Tonya
Read when I was a child. Good Book!
Ritu Gupta
I want to read this novel.
Tiffany
A great read-aloud with the kids. They loved it.
Yuka Honda
Title-Heidi
Time-10/4=20minutes,10/7=40minutes
7words=Heidi,Clara,goat,mountain,house,whellchair,hug
Discussion question-
1. Heidi ran with many goats at the hill. If you go to the hill, what do you want to do?
I also want to run with my friends at the hill.
2. The story is written the sentences, "Please be my friend." If you are said by my friends, what do you think?
If I'm said by my friends, I will be happy.

I have never seen this movie. After I read the book, I wanted to watch the movie.
Yuka Honda
Title-HEIDI
Time-10/4=20minutes;10/7=40minutes
7words-Heidi,Clara,goat,mountain,house,wheelchair,hug
Discussion questions-
1. Heidi ran with many goads at the hill. If you go to the hill, what do you want to do?
I also want to run with my friends at the hill.
2. The story is written the sentences,"Please be my friend." If you are said by my friends, what do you think?
If I'm said by my friends, I will be happy.

Emma
It was great reading this book. I haven't read it before but I saw a TV show of the story when I was a kid (many times) and so reading Heidi was like re-reading an old favourite. Lovely feel-good book :)
Rachel Wolverton
I loved this as a child and Ella loved it just as much as we read it together. So fun to read the classics together. :)
Candice
Can you believe I am 38 and just NOW reading this fantastic book? loved it!
Teri
A sweet book. That is what I liked and disliked about it. Almost cloyingly sweet at times. But the story of healing and the power of a beautiful setting are oddly compelling, especially when reading to a nine year-old. Still, I can't stay long in a book with no real conflict and this one took TWO months of reading aloud!
Reshma
I read this book a long long time ago. It was recommended by my school librarian. I remember being Heidi in my dreams. I can't write a review because I do not really remember much of it. What I can say for sure is that I would recommend this book to kids, as well as to adults who haven't read this.
Kerri
I did not realize this was an "adapted" edition when I picked it up to read. Unfortunately, all the descriptive narrative has been stripped leaving a disjointed story that is sometimes hard to follow and generally not particularly engaging. I recommend reading a complete version of this story.
Kelly
Apr 20, 2015 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with an imagination
I loved this book when I was a kid, and it's just as good when I reread it as an adult. It has wonderful imagery, heartwarming characters, and a touching plot.
Purnima Rajta Dhillon
Read it, and then read it again and again and again.
Make your family read it, and your friends and your kids and anyone you treasure, and fill their life with love.
Luke Miller
Good

Hi. Mining hmmmm b h jug hjjhghhjjhhh h h b b b b b b b h b b b
Reyliarey
The Heidi story is never failed to amuse me.. Hope one day I can read it with my daughter
Mike
Quite a nice read aloud version for younger kids.
Shelley
Read this as a young girl and had a quite an impact on me.
Nicole
Read aloud with the 6 year old.
Julianna
I love this book
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Call of the Wild (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Land of the Dead (Tales from the Odyssey, #2)
  • Noisy Nora
  • The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Swiss Family Robinson (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Betsy-Tacy Treasury (Betsy-Tacy, #1–4)
  • Around the World in 80 Days
  • The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year
  • The Fen Tiger
  • The Fisherman & His Wife
Treasure Island (Great Illustrated Classics) The Wizard of Oz (Great Illustrated Classics) Black Beauty (Great Illustrated Classics) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn