Cosmos and Psyche: Intimations of a New World View

Cosmos and Psyche: Intimations of a New World View

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  32 reviews
From a philosopher whose magisterial history of Western thought was praised by Joseph Campbell and Huston Smith comes a brilliant new book that traces the connection between cosmic cycles and archetypal patterns of human experience. Drawing on years of research and on thinkers from Plato to Jung, Richard Tarnas explores the planetary correlations of epochal events like the...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Plume Books

Szplug
Sure, trying to make a serious case for the cyclical positioning of the planets as having an intermediary influence upon the terrestrial course of events seems loopy and absurd in this, our high tide of technocultural rationalism - but full marks to Tarnas both for having the sheer balls to publish this obvious labour of love and for refusing to back down from the implications of his own argument. He will doubtless join the ranks of those like Koestler, who endured much maligning - and took a se...more
adam prometheus
Wow! I think this book is going to change the world. Tarnas' research is absolutely astounding-- he is a well-renowned historian, and he's the only one to go into historical astrology in such depth and with such scientific dignity and prowess. 30 years in the making, Cosmos and Psyche is a mind-blowing masterpiece which presents historical eras alongside the planetary alignments and astrological events, along with the lives of historical figures, their birth charts and planetary returns, and exp...more
Owen Spencer
This book has permanently altered my worldview. In short, the author, a respected scholar/scientist, presents a busload of data strongly suggesting that the movements and alignments of the outer planets of our solar system are strongly correlated (i.e., synchronistic) with certain kinds of events that repeatedly and predictably occur on Earth. Strange though it may seem, the data convincingly demonstrates that the entire solar system predicts (and perhaps influences) the trends of human history...more
Michael
Tarnas clearly has an expansive and impressive grasp on the currents and paradigms of the history of western civilization. I found this book enlightening and mind expanding bringing insights on world history, philiosophy, the arts and cultural developments over the course of western histrory. Tarnas succeeds in giving us insights on the forces which shape our perspective and encourages us to look more broadly at the world and begin to reenchant our world views. The frame of reference of archetyp...more
Jessica Davidson
This brilliant book follows on from The Passion Of The Western Mind: Understanding the Ideas That Have Shaped Our World View and offers a worldview and cosmology to help heal the disastrous split in the Western psyche. Tarnas demonstrates with overwhelming levels of detail and clarity, that there is another way of looking at reality. For full review: http://jessicadavidson.co.uk/2013/12/...
Brandon Peele
Excellent diagnoses of the narrow objectivist/scientific worldview currently afoot. The first 80 pages are incredibly logical and give pause to anyone who thinks that science is advancing our comprehension of consciousness, the cosmos and the meaning of life. He also makes an interesting case for the study of, but not the belief in, astrology. The crux of his argument is that inner and outer, psyche and cosmos, are inextricably intertwined, that there is a tremendous disconnect between the objec...more
Vallin
Proof of astrology and that Pluto is a planet.
Todd B Stevens
May 28, 2009 Todd B Stevens rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Katherine Duff Smith
It turns out astrology is right.
Mateo
When I first encountered this book at the Henry Miller Library last summer I had a vague hunch that there were answers to be found somewhere inside, so I followed up and began the complicating, invigorating, and disillusioning process. What I found was: a cultural history of the past 2500 years of "western civlization" engaging enough to almost have a plot; an introduction to discerning archetypes within the collective and individual texts of cultural-ish activity (and thus, over time, intimatio...more
Richard
You know, I really wish I liked this more. I liked the section a lot. I thought the middle sections were sufficiently informative, if not repetative and overlong. Another section in the middle about personal natal charts and the closer planets - which were actually known in antiquity would have really brought a lot of support to his arguments. However, I felt that at a certian point, he'd pointed out so many synchronist examples and pointed out the ambivalent archetypal connections of so many ev...more
Bruce
3 stars is perhaps unjust. This book does a very good job of describing archetypal configurations of the outer planets and how they relate to historical events. It is very worthwhile in this regard. However, for me, it was preaching to the converted, and the vast amount of historical data that this author has mastered and correlated with movements of the planets was not terribly interesting to me.

While Tarnas writes well, he writes with a lot of words. I am currently interested in learning new t...more
Meg
This is interesting to me because well-respected scholar Richard Tarnas builds the case for credibility in Astrology. He cites examples throughout time of how the stars manifested in the human psyche via the natal chart and how the world was affected.

Too many scientists debunk astrology which has been around for centuries...back to Pythagorus in Greece.

It's not a light read. But if you like science and astrology, you might like this theoretical approach and event based examples.

I must note that...more
Tom
This was very interesting. The book clarified that astrology began based on the principle of synchronicity (see Carl Jung). Similar to throwing coins in I Ching or reading tea leaves, reading the stars at a particular time gives insight into the 'state' of things. It isn't, then, that the stars cause or create events on earth or elsewhere in the universe, but, rather, that hey give insights into the constellation of events. The book had more detail than I needed.
MstrD-4-Darryl
This is a book isn't for the 'lite' reader. It is for readers interested in exploring how historical events, famous leaders and the socio-psychological dynamics of a society maintain a consistent and ongoing dance with planetary cycles, archetypes and astrological symbols. If you are a serious student of astrology, like myself, looking to learn more about the fascinating relationship of the Outer Planets with the social rhythm, then it is a must read.
Mitzi
I wanted to like this book - I was very interested in the subject matter (archetypes and astrology) and the author's point of view. Unfortunately, the writing style was so academic and dense that it was a real struggle to get through a page, let alone a chapter. I got the feeling that the author was using difficult language as a way to add credibility to his ideas. I read about a quarter of the way into it, and skimmed the rest.
Gabriel
I'm still in the thick of it, but it's a really unique perspective on Astrology as it actually corresponds with Human History. Very compelling. The author has a tendency to repeat himself endlessly in his support and reiteration of his thesis, but it is understandable considering how skeptical most readers will be.

For believers and skeptics - a very interesting read.
Will
Aug 05, 2009 Will rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: astrology adherants
Shelves: stopped-reading
it's an interesting thesis, but I couldn't read it anymore. I like astrology mainly for the concept of the houses and how they create a circular developmental psychology model that can be looked at in many different ways.
I'd like to find a book about that, but haven't, and so this book kind of didn't really get me all that jazzed beyond it's original thesis.
For anyone with doubts about the interconnectedness of our existence and that of the cosmos, read this book and your mind will change. So thorough, so fascinating. As one of the reviews on the back cover says, "the closest my mind has come to exploding while reading a book."
Tim
This book looked very interesting, but turns out to be a sham. It is entirely about Astrology and how the author claims it is all 100% true (how the alignment of Saturn and Mars can predict your aptitude and ambition, etc).
Megan
A great book if you have ever wondered whether the other planets have any sway on life on Earth. Although a very long book (and not light reading) it's a great scientific approach to astrology.
Nasreddine
غَدَوْنَا لِذِي الأَفْلاكِ أَلْعَابَ لاعِبٍ ... أَقُولُ مَقَالاً لَسْتُ فِيهِ بِكَاذِبِ
عَلَى نَطْعِ هَذَا الْكَوْنِ قَدْ لَعِبَتْ بِنَا وَعُدْنا لِصَنْدُوقِ الْفَنَا بِالتَّعَاقُبِ
Cheryl
One of the very best books I have ever read .... lots of data, dates, information and not a light read but an amazing amount of reserch and insight ........... absolutely enjoyed !!!!
Jon Laiche
A very interesting book, spelling out a valid direction of thought rooted in mythopoeic world view of Joseph Campbell and Carl Jung. It loses a star because it can be a bit dense at times.
Abigail
Jan 14, 2010 Abigail is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading on this on the way to Japan, and couldn't get into it...I'm still intrigued to read this book, but I need to get back into it!
Teri P
I went to hear Richard Tarnas speak tonight. It was inspiring. As is this book. "Psychology and cosmology are always interconnected."
Todd
Oye. Might have been easier if had brushed up on the last 2,000 years of Western science, history, philosophy, art and music.
Michael
Sep 18, 2008 Michael marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm a bit skeptical of astrology, but this still looks like an interesting book, especially since his other book is so good.
Carolyne
after a great start, and actually thesis influencing start, it just kinda lost steam and thus my interest.
Christine
OMG I really WANT to read this book, but I can't finish it. He's brilliant and I love it, but WOW
Jody
Thick and heavy, this book explores the nature of reality and history. So far, a good read.
  • Chaos, Creativity, and Cosmic Consciousness
  • Planets in Transit: Life Cycles for Living
  • Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World's Great Physicists
  • Astrology, Karma and Transformation: Inner Dimensions of the Birth Chart
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • The Holotropic Mind: The Three Levels of Human Consciousness and How They Shape Our Lives
  • Intelligence in Nature
  • Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil
  • TechGnosis: Myth, Magic & Mysticism in the Age of Information
  • Re-Visioning Psychology
  • Psychology and the Occult
  • Alchemy: An Introduction to the Symbolism and the Psychology (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 5)
  • Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology
  • The Conscious Universe: The Scientific Truth of Psychic Phenomena
  • The Hidden Connections: A Science for Sustainable Living
  • The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By
  • The Phenomenon of Man
Richard Theodore Tarnas (born February 21, 1950) is a cultural historian known for his books The Passion of the Western Mind: Understanding the Ideas That Have Shaped Our World View and Cosmos and Psyche: Intimations of a New World View. Tarnas is professor of philosophy and psychology at the California Institute of Integral Studies, and is the founding director of its graduate program in Philosop...more
More about Richard Tarnas...
The Passion of The Western Mind: Understanding the Ideas That Have Shaped Our World View Prometheus the Awakener Cosmic Conversations: Dialogues on the Nature of the Universe and the Search for Reality Cultural Crisis and Transformation: Exploring Archetypal Patterns in World News and Culture The Birth of a New Discipline: Archai: The Journal of Archetypal Cosmology, Issue 1

“And if this disenchanted vision were elevated to the status of being the only legitimate vision of the nature of the cosmos upheld by an entire civilization, what an incalculable loss, an impoverishment, a tragic deformation, a grief, would ultimately be suffered by both knower and known.
2 likes
“The very nature of the objective universe turns any spiritual faith and ideals into courageous acts of subjectivity, constantly vulnerable to intellectual negation.” 2 likes