Start by marking “This Bleeding City” as Want to Read:
This Bleeding City

This Bleeding City

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  169 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Charlie Wales is a young man who wants everything. Fresh from University, he's seduced by the excitement of a new life in London and all that it promises. But as the choices begin to tear him apart, there's also the danger that all the things he desires are on the brink of crashing around him...
Published January 1st 2011 by Faber & Faber (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about This Bleeding City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Bleeding City

Ryan Williams
Jun 15, 2015 Ryan Williams rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
'If you liked "Bright Lights, Big City", you'll love this' said the wrapper around this novel, which sat on top of a pile in an airport bookstore. That set off a round of predictions. The novel will be about bright young things snorting and pilling around the financial world, or the London branch of it; someone will have vaguely literary yearnings; endless complaints will follow about The Job, whose details will be traced rather than described; despair will follow by the bucket-load, and the pac ...more
Jon White
Dec 02, 2013 Jon White rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very depressing book. I didn't care about the characters at all.
I met the author and questioned him about the reality of the book and how he based his characters. To be fair, he took the criticism well. No-one in my library book club liked the book.
Ineke van Mackelenbergh
Fast--paced well-written insight into City hi-money - but sad to realize what materialism can do and how it can pervert good sense.
Nanikore
Jan 17, 2011 Nanikore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Hebblethwaite
This Bleeding City is one of those novels with which you can tell roughly where it’s heading more or less from the outset – not because of any clumsiness on the author’s part, but because the story is so archetypal: young man goes off to seek his fortune, and discovers that what he thought he wanted wasn’t necessarily so great after all. The context for this particular telling of that story is the City of London (where Alex Preston himself works) in the run-up to the recent financial crisis.

To f
Tariq Mahmood
Nov 26, 2013 Tariq Mahmood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economy, british
This is a dark depressing novel about working in the City (or of a London) in the financial sector which I found pretty difficult to put down because the story intrigued me throughout. Maybe because I myself do not like working and felt a strong affection for the plot? The book left me with a pretty negative profile of city traders highlighting the huge sacrifices they have to make in order to follow their materialistic dreams. The protagonist is portrayed as a stereotype trader who is ambitious ...more
Malashree
It's very well written, but being Preston's debut, it does get a bit clumsy at times. Also, the protagonist is not very amicable. In fact, most of the characters aren't, and those who are somehow screwed over by either the protagonist or terrible circumstances. I do understand that the protagonist is an anti-hero. He's not supposed to be liked, but still...

Preston obviously draws inspiration from F. Scott Fitzgerald, and particularly 'The Great Gatsby'.

I felt sorry for the characters, particula
Dany
Jun 26, 2013 Dany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book sooo depressing, but at the same time very realistic and well written.
Maybe the story is a bit discounted, and you already sort of guess since the beginning that is not going to end well; even though you hope a bit that it will turn unexpectedly positive before the end.
I thinks it is easy though to identify yourself with Charlie, who represents all the fears and insecurities that we all have at the beginning of the adulthood, but also the hope that we are going to make it and b
Monica Co
This book belongs to the tradition of fiction that came out after the big 2008 financial crisis.
Set in the London City, it is the story of a young graduate who climbs the ranks of a big investment firm, but at the same time loses touch with the real life values. Driven by greed and ambition, he realises his mistake when it is to late; then he simply becomes what he was meant to be from the beginning.
Despite finding the novel a bit immature and somehow clichéd, I liked how Preston ends the story;
Dan
Jul 13, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT a final sentence.
Polly Courtney
Jun 20, 2013 Polly Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fellow ex-City banker, I was really keen to get my hands on this. It didn't disappoint. Beautifully written and with a carefully crafted storyline, I related to the characters instantly.

Whether non-City evacuees would enjoy this I'm not sure (which goes for most City books, including my own); I think anyone who has worked in a high-pressure environment would relate, and there's plenty to like outside 'the office' in here.
John
Apr 30, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soapy novel that centres on a man working in the city as a stockbroker, or analyst or something, during the period leading up to and after the GFC. The novel starts with a group of friends in University in Edinburgh, and then leads on to a series of incestuous relationships between them. The scenes in the trading house are pretty well archetypal.
Aleksandra
Oct 04, 2013 Aleksandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liked it. I could make quite a few parralells with my own life and deliberations. Managed to extract the main idea, which I found quite useful. Rethought some of my persuasions on the purpose of being and on perception of the surrounding reality. To add, I am absolutely not a fan of modern literature.
Dmitry Lovermann
Oct 19, 2012 Dmitry Lovermann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-editions
A agree that story line is not one of the most interesting I've ever seen, but I liked the way it was written: hesitant young boy with his own imperfectness, - just the same as most of young graduated professionals. I liked Preston's narration style.
Layla Rohan
Pretty gritty but a good look into the world of banking/finance and how the world revolves around people who clearly have no clue. Scary to think this could be going on behind our backs. Nothing but doom and gloom though.
Dmitry Lovermann
Zajímavé čtení, ale na samotném příběhu asi nic zvláštního není, líbil se mi víc proces četby. Na rozdíl od Cityboy, v této knize se autor více zaměřuje na citovou stránku života investičního bankéře.
Saif Hasan
Aug 23, 2010 Saif Hasan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely clumsy book. Too cluttered. No scope for the emotional spaces to even out. Predictable right from word one.

AVOID.
Andreia Tavares
Jan 26, 2012 Andreia Tavares rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Interesting :)
Bergot
Bergot marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Jioliver
Jioliver marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Svetlana
Svetlana marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
David Handley
David Handley rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Bound_And_Flogged
Bound_And_Flogged marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Mike Cumming-Bruce
Mike Cumming-Bruce rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
  • Playing in the Light
  • The Three Clerks
  • Radio Iris
  • Greek Myths
  • The Demi-Monde: Summer (The Demi-Monde Saga, #3)
  • Tropic Death
  • Quentin Tarantino
  • Bagthorpes V. the World: Being the Fourth Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #4)
  • Everything for Sale: The Virtues and Limits of Markets
  • With the Flow
  • The Tender Hour of Twilight: Paris in the '50s, New York in the '60s: A Memoir of Publishing's Golden Age
  • Ambition
  • Westlife: Our Story
  • Holy Water
  • Leadership Agility: Five Levels of Mastery for Anticipating and Initiating Change
Alex Preston was born in 1979. He is an award-winning author and journalist who appears regularly on BBC television and radio. He writes for GQ, Harper's Bazaar and Town & Country Magazine as well as for the Observer's New Review. He teaches Creative Writing at the University of Kent and regular Guardian Masterclasses.
More about Alex Preston...