Start by marking “City Under the Sand (Dark Sun, #1)” as Want to Read:
City Under the Sand (Dark Sun, #1)

City Under the Sand (D&D: Dark Sun)

3.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Aric, a half-elf with a rare natural ability with the psionic discipline known as “the Way,” must find his place in a world ruled by the tyranny of evil sorcerer kings, and dominated by the savage wilds of the Athasian desert, a world presided over by the unrelenting crimson eye of Dark Sun.

When Aric is brought into a quest to search for a priceless trove weapons, he would
Published October 5th 2010 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about City Under the Sand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Under the Sand

Pedro
Feb 16, 2015 Pedro rated it liked it
This for me was frustrating.

I love D&D, I love psionics, yet this came too short...

I had very high expectations for this books, because it gathered two things I like.

However, this was my first Dark Sun novel.

I am familiar with the setting and all, so there wasn't a whole lot of negative surprises there.

I just think it was very slow paced. It didn't pull me constantly at wanting to know what was going to happen, except in the last third of the book.

I honestly cannot put my finger on what went
Travis
Oct 21, 2010 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
City Under the Sand by Jeff Mariotte- This is the first book in the relaunched novel line of Dark Sun, a setting of Dungeons and Dragons. Currently, this is a stand-alone novel. This is Jeff Mariotte's first novel that is set in a Dungeons and Dragons shared universe, but he's written a number of other novels. His original works include; Witch Season (Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring), Las Vegas (High Stakes Game and Sleight of Hand), The Slab, Boogeyman, Missing White Girl, River Runs Red, and ...more
Jevhad
Jan 01, 2011 Jevhad rated it did not like it
Really bad book, in addition to the lack of respect the new WoTC team continues to show for previous works, this book contains several editorial mistakes (noun-pronoun concordance, character's names misplaced in actions) terribly boring flow, nonsensical twists and a laughable resolution. Don't waste your money with this book.

Spoiler warning.

A demon in Athas sounds like a good idea. One can even envision a fight between Nibenay and the demon. Instead the haughty, vain and quite powerful sorcere
Brandon Matilda
Jan 30, 2015 Brandon Matilda rated it really liked it
I rather enjoyed this one as it brought me back to the world of Dark Sun I had read when I was a youth.
Francisco Becerra
Feb 03, 2014 Francisco Becerra rated it did not like it
Sloppy storytelling, plain characters, and a straightforward plot. The worst way to help revive one of AD&D's best settings.
M
Jun 05, 2011 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
This book was entertaining, but it has some problems. There's a lot of typos and grammar issues that even a vaguely competent editor should have caught. More importantly, the pacing is very bad. The first third to half of the novel drags, and while it gets into a good rhythm after a while, it then rushes through the ending in the last 5% or so. While it wasn't horrible, it could've been better, and it could've used some more exposition about the Dark Sun setting for those not familiar with it.
Mphecker
Jan 24, 2012 Mphecker rated it did not like it
Wow. This may have been one of the worst fantasy novels I've read. I think the publisher gave the author a copy of the monster guide, told him to pick some monsters, and write a story that includes them. This book was never looked over by an editor, with obvious errors at least every other page. I'm just glad the later releases in the relaunched Dark Sun line are much better.
Michael
Aug 18, 2012 Michael rated it it was ok
I run second edition Dark Sun so maybe I'm biased. This book sucked for the most part, and I'm sure as with everything else WoTC has done Dark Sun's relaunch will suck. The story was..ok. It was really just a platform to mention creatures etc for the relaunch.
Eric
Jan 31, 2011 Eric rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnd, dark-sun
This book was the worst book I've read in a while. It did not come near to evoking the feel of the older Dark Sun novels. It felt like I was reading something written by a 12 year old gamer that was describing his last D&D campaign. Not immersive at all.
Weston Ochse
Oct 24, 2011 Weston Ochse rated it really liked it
This was wonderful. It brought me back to my days of playing dungeons and dragons and all the good things associated with that. Two of the main characters reminded me of Faffert and the Grey Mouser with their interactions. Just wonderful.
James
Apr 01, 2012 James rated it liked it
Shelves: d-d-books
Nothing special about this book. But I do like the world of Dark Sun because it's such a harsh place. This book was a good way to get reacquainted with that world. I look forward to other books as well.
Bradley Convissar
Oct 19, 2011 Bradley Convissar rated it liked it
Way toooo many typos for a "traditionally" published book. Story was fair but did not caprture the magic of the otiginal Dark Sun stories. Tried to cram too much info in one book
Sean
Dec 26, 2010 Sean rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm so glad they brought this series back!! This was an excellent book to start it off with too. I loved the characters and would like to see them again.
Christopher Green
Jan 08, 2011 Christopher Green rated it it was ok
Shelves:
so far it skips around alot.. from fight scenes to other stuff then to something else
Andrea Lybarger
I love this Book! It was the first time I had read anything on Athas and I fell in love!
Benjamin
May 06, 2012 Benjamin rated it did not like it
Not accurate to Dark sun setting, wizards and templar’s are different.
Chad
Nov 16, 2010 Chad marked it as to-read
Shelves: stalled
It is my Kindle book for coffee time after dinner.
Lordjynx
Lordjynx marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Renato Dantas
Renato Dantas marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Ian
Ian is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2016
Chris G.
Chris G. rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Orion
Orion rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Adin Burke
Adin Burke rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2015
Alex Raines
Alex Raines rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
  • Cinnabar Shadows (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #4)
  • The Darkness Before the Dawn (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #2)
  • The Broken Blade (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #3)
  • The Cerulean Storm (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #5)
  • The Sundering
  • Stardeep (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #3)
  • The Rise of Nagash
  • Blackstaff Tower (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep #1)
  • The Bookman Histories (The Bookman Histories, #1-3)
  • The Return of Nagash
  • The Great Betrayal
  • Fist of Demetrius (The Macharian Crusade #2)
  • Dead Winter
  • The Castle Omnibus
  • Lords of Mars
  • The Temple of Yellow Skulls (The Abyssal Plague, #1)
  • Queen of the Demonweb Pits (Greyhawk Classics, #6)
Also writes as Jeff Mariotte

Jeffrey J. Mariotte is the bestselling, award-winning author of fifty novels, including supernatural thrillers Season of the Wolf, Missing White Girl, River Runs Red, and Cold Black Hearts, horror epic The Slab, thriller The Devil's Bait, and the Dark Vengeance teen horror quartet. His newest novel, the dark thriller Empty Rooms, was released in January 2015.

He also wr
More about Jeffrey J. Mariotte...

D&D: Dark Sun (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Verdant Passage (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #1)
  • The Crimson Legion (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #2)
  • The Amber Enchantress (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #3)
  • The Obsidian Oracle (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad #4)
  • The Cerulean Storm (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #5)
  • The Outcast (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #1)
  • The Seeker (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #2)
  • The Nomad (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #3)
  • The Brazen Gambit (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #1)
  • The Darkness Before the Dawn (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #2)