Start by marking “City Under the Sand (Dark Sun, #1)” as Want to Read:
City Under the Sand (Dark Sun, #1)

City Under the Sand (D&D: Dark Sun)

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Aric, a half-elf with a rare natural ability with the psionic discipline known as “the Way,” must find his place in a world ruled by the tyranny of evil sorcerer kings, and dominated by the savage wilds of the Athasian desert, a world presided over by the unrelenting crimson eye of Dark Sun®.

When Aric is brought into a quest to search for a priceless trove weapons, he woul
Published October 5th 2010 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about City Under the Sand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Under the Sand

Pedro
This for me was frustrating.

I love D&D, I love psionics, yet this came too short...

I had very high expectations for this books, because it gathered two things I like.

However, this was my first Dark Sun novel.

I am familiar with the setting and all, so there wasn't a whole lot of negative surprises there.

I just think it was very slow paced. It didn't pull me constantly at wanting to know what was going to happen, except in the last third of the book.

I honestly cannot put my finger on what went
Travis
City Under the Sand by Jeff Mariotte- This is the first book in the relaunched novel line of Dark Sun, a setting of Dungeons and Dragons. Currently, this is a stand-alone novel. This is Jeff Mariotte's first novel that is set in a Dungeons and Dragons shared universe, but he's written a number of other novels. His original works include; Witch Season (Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring), Las Vegas (High Stakes Game and Sleight of Hand), The Slab, Boogeyman, Missing White Girl, River Runs Red, and ...more
Jevhad
Really bad book, in addition to the lack of respect the new WoTC team continues to show for previous works, this book contains several editorial mistakes (noun-pronoun concordance, character's names misplaced in actions) terribly boring flow, nonsensical twists and a laughable resolution. Don't waste your money with this book.

Spoiler warning.

A demon in Athas sounds like a good idea. One can even envision a fight between Nibenay and the demon. Instead the haughty, vain and quite powerful sorcere
Brandon Matilda
I rather enjoyed this one as it brought me back to the world of Dark Sun I had read when I was a youth.
Francisco Becerra
Sloppy storytelling, plain characters, and a straightforward plot. The worst way to help revive one of AD&D's best settings.
Maxwell Heath
This book was entertaining, but it has some problems. There's a lot of typos and grammar issues that even a vaguely competent editor should have caught. More importantly, the pacing is very bad. The first third to half of the novel drags, and while it gets into a good rhythm after a while, it then rushes through the ending in the last 5% or so. While it wasn't horrible, it could've been better, and it could've used some more exposition about the Dark Sun setting for those not familiar with it.
Mphecker
Wow. This may have been one of the worst fantasy novels I've read. I think the publisher gave the author a copy of the monster guide, told him to pick some monsters, and write a story that includes them. This book was never looked over by an editor, with obvious errors at least every other page. I'm just glad the later releases in the relaunched Dark Sun line are much better.
Michael
I run second edition Dark Sun so maybe I'm biased. This book sucked for the most part, and I'm sure as with everything else WoTC has done Dark Sun's relaunch will suck. The story was..ok. It was really just a platform to mention creatures etc for the relaunch.
Eric
This book was the worst book I've read in a while. It did not come near to evoking the feel of the older Dark Sun novels. It felt like I was reading something written by a 12 year old gamer that was describing his last D&D campaign. Not immersive at all.
Weston Ochse
This was wonderful. It brought me back to my days of playing dungeons and dragons and all the good things associated with that. Two of the main characters reminded me of Faffert and the Grey Mouser with their interactions. Just wonderful.
James
Nothing special about this book. But I do like the world of Dark Sun because it's such a harsh place. This book was a good way to get reacquainted with that world. I look forward to other books as well.
Bradley Convissar
Way toooo many typos for a "traditionally" published book. Story was fair but did not caprture the magic of the otiginal Dark Sun stories. Tried to cram too much info in one book
Sean
I'm so glad they brought this series back!! This was an excellent book to start it off with too. I loved the characters and would like to see them again.
Christopher Green
so far it skips around alot.. from fight scenes to other stuff then to something else
Andrea Lybarger
I love this Book! It was the first time I had read anything on Athas and I fell in love!
Benjamin
Not accurate to Dark sun setting, wizards and templar’s are different.
Chad
Nov 16, 2010 Chad marked it as to-read
Shelves: stalled
It is my Kindle book for coffee time after dinner.
Muratcan
Muratcan marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Katie Higgins
Katie Higgins marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Aaron Hepp
Aaron Hepp marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Shawn Walsh
Shawn Walsh marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Cinnabar Shadows (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #4)
  • The Broken Blade (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #3)
  • The Darkness Before the Dawn (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #2)
  • The Cerulean Storm (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #5)
  • Stardeep (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #3)
  • Blackstaff Tower (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep #1)
  • Lord of the Necropolis (Ravenloft, #17)
  • Lords of Mars
  • Sentinelspire (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #4)
  • Crypt of the Moaning Diamond (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #4)
  • The Howling Delve (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #2)
  • Circle of Skulls (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep, #6)
  • Realms of the Dead (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #13)
  • The Bookman Histories (The Bookman Histories, #1-3)
  • Depths of Madness (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #1)
  • Queen of the Depths (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #4)
Also writes as Jeff Mariotte

Jeffrey J. Mariotte is the bestselling, award-winning author of fifty novels, including supernatural thrillers Season of the Wolf, Missing White Girl, River Runs Red, and Cold Black Hearts, horror epic The Slab, thriller The Devil's Bait, and the Dark Vengeance teen horror quartet. His newest novel, the dark thriller Empty Rooms, was released in January 2015.

He also wr
More about Jeffrey J. Mariotte...

D&D: Dark Sun (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Verdant Passage (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #1)
  • The Crimson Legion (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #2)
  • The Amber Enchantress (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #3)
  • The Obsidian Oracle (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad #4)
  • The Cerulean Storm (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #5)
  • The Outcast (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #1)
  • The Seeker (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #2)
  • The Nomad (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #3)
  • The Brazen Gambit (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #1)
  • The Darkness Before the Dawn (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #2)
Witch's Canyon (Supernatural, #2) Angel Omnibus Witch Season: Summer & Fall Rumors of the Undead (30 Days of Night) Long Way Home (Unseen Trilogy, #3)