Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 4

Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 4 (Nightschool: The Weirn Books #4)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  489 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The Sohrem is rising, the Hunters are on the move, and Alex is caught in the middle As forces conspire to draw the young weirn and her allies back to an empty school, the shadow of the enemy who has been pulling all the strings begins to show. But is it the enemy without - or the one inside her - that Alex should fear the most?
Published October 26th 2010 by Yen Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nightschool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightschool

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothThe Angel Experiment by James PattersonCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMaximum Ride, Vol. 2 by James Patterson
Best Magical and Amazing reads of all time!
18th out of 90 books — 16 voters
Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu Arakawa
Best Mangas
134th out of 208 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

Talizmyn
I don't like cliff-hangers like this, at all. It's one thing to leave suspense, things left unfinished.. but.. not done this way. This volume felt almost rushed through the second half, like there were so many ideas and plot points that needed to be combined into only a specific amount of pages. Why not make it one extra volume? If it means keeping the book at a proper pace, fleshing out the villains, adding more depth, and helping us (readers) understand their motivations... why not?

Sure, it's...more
Sarah Maddaford
Nicole
This is the conclusion to Chmakova's Nightschool series (though she does leave the storyline open to sequels/related series in the end). I liked this final entry for some of the creative artwork and the way so many of the characters are finally brought together. However, I wish that Chmakova had balanced her approach to the plot better throughout the four volumes. I feel like there was a slow and steady sharing of facts and details in the first couple of volumes - really setting the stage well -...more
*Queen Diva*
Actual rating: 4.5

This was BY FAR the best book in the whole series! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! Epic!

I am also VERY PLEASED that while the series isn't over, the storyline came to some sort of close so I'm not tearing my hair out in waiting wondering OMG WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN! I mean, I do wonder, but it's not at a huge cliffhanger. So thank you Svetlana, I do appreciate that!

This series is really fantastic! It's fantasty, which I love, and has fantastic art, which I love,...more
Jessica
The story comes to a dramatic conclusion, while the Hunters along with Daemon, Madam Chen and Mr. Rois, strive to defeat the risen Sohrem, without damaging their young hosts. However, the power necessary to do so may involve manipulating time. Good conclusion.

*** Good series. But I feel like it is more the first chapter in a larger story. I wish that the author would hurry-up and write some more! I really like the world and feel that it has some very interesting aspects to it. I want to know MOR...more
Storm
DUDE! O_O I did NOT see that coming, geeze! So it seems answers to questions are filled in this time, and we find out more about the baddies, while Hunters go up against Shifters and the Cloaked Kids are gathering. It's time to go save Sara! But other lives are on the line as well, thanks to betrayal and double-crossing. It all ended a bit suddenly though, but I hope I'll dig up a continuation of this story, or at least in the same world, cause WOW. I wanna see more of these characters, and lear...more
drue
i think the best in the series as well as other people have said. the drawings are funny, creative, and pretty beautiful. kind of a place between manga and just cartoons, which is refreshing. each character has depth and personality, with only a little amount of writing. though as other people have said it seemed like there was a lot packed into 4 slim books. too many strains to keep track of, with not enough time to let them develop and set into concrete ideas, and components. the whole series...more
Michaela
I love this series! I'm so sad this is the last book for now! I can't wait until Svetlana starts the series up again!
Cornerofmadness
Night School: The Weirn Books # 3-4 by Svetlana Chmakova

This is the last volume and it’s tagged ‘the end (for now). Boy, if this comes back I hope it actually explains things. In several ways, this story, and this volume especially, frustrated me. You could see that there was a good story idea in it somewhere but I felt like Chmakova was told she only had this many chapters to tell the whole story. The characters are under developed and the plot rushed. It needed at least a few more chapters to...more
Courtney
This review is from my blog, Studies in Storytelling. To see the complete version, please visit http://studiesinstorytelling.blogspot...

Nightschool is an American-published manga by Russian-Canadian mangaka Svetlana Chmakova, most famous for Dramacon.

A normal school by day, The Nightschool teaches vampires, weirns, mermaids, etc. The coarse, homeschooled Alex Treveney tries to track down her sister, Sarah, a teacher at the Nightschool. She also has a slight tendency to black out and leave slow,...more
Shazza Maddog
I finally started getting interested in the story with this volume, which means the first three volumes were pretty slow for me. I do enjoy Chmakova's art, but this story didn't grab me as quickly as her previous manga.

That being said, Alex's search for her sister sends her into the haven of Rochelle and Ronee, though Ronee doesn't want Alex there - and we find out why - Ronee and Rochelle are fated with a magical condition, which makes Ronee incredibly attuned to Ronee's emotions - Ronee's sorr...more
Megan Sanchez
Niara
This series had so much potential to go on to at least 15 books. Everything was rushed and then there are some parts which aren't even clear. Who are the hunters and how are they chosen? If the big evil is only being held temporarily how will everyone deal with everyday possibly being their last? Who are the other children? Just because they stopped the people (creatures?) who wanted power doesn't mean it's over. So. Much. Potential.
Luke
Nightschool #4 is one of the most epic books I have ever read. This is by far my favorite book of the series because most things get cleared up but not all. Now one thing I was sad about is that Svetlana said that she was going to write more books about this world. It has been about a year and no sign of more books. But then again maybe she is taking a break and will come back to it. She did say to make one of these books it took six months so she could have just started and we'd only know in Ju...more
Mary
I can't wait until the next one comes out!
Jadzia Bamford
Amazing!!! I love this book series
Kate
This Nightschool volume kind of finishes up the first main arc. There are pieces that could be further shown in later volumes (The search for the other vessels and how the characters go about their lives afterward.). I kind of wish it didn't feel rushed with this new information at the this arc's showdown end. Hopefully more will be explained later, because it felt like a lot of supernatural information was thrown at the readers near the end of this volume.
Courtney
Honestly, this was probably the weakest installment in an otherwise great series. Granted, it's simply a story arc, which likely means more adventures to follow and perhaps an even larger plot to hold it all together. This particular volume seemed just a little bit too tidy and ultimately unmemorable. Still a fun, swift read. I'm interested to see if my teens are satisfied with this one, especially since they've been waiting so expectantly.
Kari Ramirez
I love, love, love this little series. I was afraid that things wouldn't get wrapped up in this last edition, but Chmakova did a really good job and it without rushing everything. It does end with a little hint of maybe more books to come (especially since the title is 'Nightschool: The Werin Books'. Maybe next time will be the Hunters or Vamps or Shapeshifters. Whatever it will be, I'll read it!
Andrea
Enjoyable short series. What starts out as a seemingly long and epic plotline is tidily finished off in four volumes. The characters all seem very interesting, but this works more as an introduction to the universe rather than a fully satisfying story in itself. We meet a lot of people, and want to know more about them, and then the plot wraps up.

Would def. buy more in this world.
Sarah Tschetter
Compared to the rest of the series, this one was a bit of a letdown. I had read it some time ago, picking up volumes as they came out. I am a huge Chmakova fan, having seen Dramacon in Tokyopop's up and coming sneakpeak book they used to release a long time ago. This is probably the only letdown of all her work, though I recommend reading it such to sate your interest in how the story ends.
Selena
Uh... What happened here?

This was still really good. And exciting. But... whaaat?

I did not understand that ending at all. Maybe because it was rushed? But still.

Anyway, there seems to be a promise of more books. Eventually. ...I would like more. I love Svetlana Chmakova, even if I can't pronounce her last name.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Jan 05, 2011 Michelle Wardhaugh added it
Recommended to Michelle by: mich@skynetbb.com
This series offers a rich and interesting world to explore with intriguing and well-rounded characters. The artwork is attractive, especially the astrals and the two main male characters. The end was perhaps a bit abrupt after the meandering of the plot through the three previous volumes, but it was satisfying, and I liked the promise of more stories set in this world.
Laurel
Annie
This problem with reading volumes months apart, of course, is that it takes you (or me, at least) half the book to remember the plot of the previous books. Regardless, this is a pretty great Harry Potter-esque manga series with good action and lots of wonderful characters.
Stacy
Oct 31, 2012 Stacy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This volume wraps up the major plot threads for the first story arc but leaves open many questions - which hopefully means future volumes in the series! Still, the ending will give fans enough of a sense of closure to make the four volumes worth reading as a contained story.
scarlettraces
felt like there was way more mileage in this story, but at least the wrapup had its witty elements. here's hoping we get more nightschool as promised, since although the plot scooted along, it was the characters and the incidentals that really snagged me.
Janelle
I honestly tink of this series as the best that SC has written and own the whole thing for a reason. There was a lot of build up that was so-so, but i'm seriously hoping there will some form of continuation.
Kathleen
The Sohrem finally rises and rescue operations come to a head. Some problems are resolved and some are not. I continue to recommend this series for anyone who likes urban fantasy comics.
Rhica
I thought it ended well, though the series is not really done yet. For a four volume spread, it had good timing and at the end, when there is a lot of action, it was not overly rushed.
  • Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Vol. 1
  • Tsubasa: Those with Wings, Volume 3
  • Grand Guignol Orchestra, Vol. 1
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 5 (Library Wars: Love & War, #5)
  • Bizenghast Volume 4 (v. 4)
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 3
  • Hollow Fields, Vol. 1 (Hollow Fields, #1)
  • Arata: The Legend, Vol. 01 (Arata: The Legend, #1)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 02
Svetlana Chmakova (Russian: Светлана Шмакова) (born 1979 in Russia) is a comic creator. She is best known for Dramacon, an original English-language (OEL) manga spanning three volumes and published in North America by Tokyopop. Her other work includes the 2-page The Adventures of CG for CosmoGIRL! magazine and the webcomic Chasing Rainbows for Girlamatic. Though born in Russia, she immigrated to C...more
More about Svetlana Chmakova...
Dramacon, Volume 1 Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 1 Dramacon, Volume 2 (v. 2) Dramacon, Volume 3 Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 2