Start by marking “Can't Teach an Old Demon New Tricks (Demon, #2)” as Want to Read:
Can't Teach an Old Demon New Tricks (Demon, #2)

Can't Teach an Old Demon New Tricks (Demon #2)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Get an east Texas girl good and mad, and there’s going to be hell to pay!

Rachel Farnsworth doesn’t believe in the paranormal—she can find plenty of evil forces right in Dogwood County, like the Mega-Mart that’s driving her family’s hardware store into the ground.

Then there’s her own little hell-raiser—a rowdy toddler who can turn his birthday candles into a blazing infern...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published March 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Can't Teach an Old Demon New Tricks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can't Teach an Old Demon New Tricks

Melanie
Great title, horrible writing. I don't drop many books, but I can't finish this one. By the time I got to the end of chapter one I was seriously confused. Too many disjointed thoughts and references to stuff that I didn't understand. I figured in part is was because I didn't know there was a first book in the series and hadn't read it (don't you just hate books that can stand on their own?), but I went and looked for it's predecessor and found that the author's writing style is disjointed and co...more
Stacy
I totally loved this book! Just as great as the first one, I hope she writes a third in the series. Perfect combo of chick lit, suspense, paranormal and comedy!
Hobby

Hahaha....buku ke-2 ini ceritanya lebih gila lagi, beneran jadi ingat serial The Reaper.
Semua mitologi dan legenda dibuat 'twisted' dengan humor yang segar, anekdot serta dialog-dilaog yang selalu bikin meringis saking konyolnya, apalagi ketemu lagi sama Frank si Guardian Angel bersama seniornya yang ya ampun, bikin sakit perut deh bacanya.

more about this book, just check my complete review at here :
( http://my-fantasy-readings.blogspot.c... )
Wendy Hines
When you're married to a demon but attracted to an angel, sparks will fly.

Sam is a fallen angel. He refuses to work for the devil and he had his wings plucked viciously from him when he worked for God; he refused to kill a young mother and her dying son. Now he works freelance and so far has been able to resist Satan’s offer of immortality and eternal servitude. But Sam isn’t sure how much longer he can remain neutral.

Rachel Farnsworth used to be happy. Now, her husband Kevin is missing and on...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

CAN’T TEACH AN OLD DEMON NEW TRICKS is the sequel to Every Demon Has His Day that introduced us to Dogwood County, the secret battleground between Angles and Demons for millennia. A number of characters crossover from the first book, but CAN’T TEACH AN OLD DEMON NEW TRICKS focuses on a new relationship and can be read as a stand alone novel.

If the cover didn’t tip you off, this is a light hearted paranormal chick-lit story full of wacky charac...more
April Loebick
Can’t Teach an Old Demon New Tricks is the follow-up to Cara Lockwood’s Every Demon Has His Day. Admittedly, I haven’t actually read the first book in this series; however, after reading this title, I happy to say it’s not necessary.

Rachel Farnsworth doesn’t know if she’s being paranoid, or if there actually is something different about Cassidy, her one year-old-son. In fact, unbeknownst to Rachel, her toddler is actually a half-demon. Her husband, Kevin, was killed years ago and has been replac...more
Sara
Rachel is the mom of a toddler who can literally light things on fire and the wife of Kevin, a man who's not just lazy, he's become an actual sloth demon. When Kevin disappears, Rachel is quickly caught up in a supernatural bounty hunting race to find him for the devil, although Rachel's more eager to find Kevin-the-demon and give him a piece of her mind.

I thought the plot of this book was cute and it was a very quick, light read. There were a number of parts that made me laugh, like the author...more
Jo
Before I begin my review, I feel the need for a disclaimer. Firstly, I picked this up without knowing it was the second book in a series (I really hate it when that's not made clear on the cover!) and secondly, I read it overnight in a hospital while my five year old struggled to breathe in the bed next to me. Both of these thing may have impacted on my enjoyment of the book.

But on to the review.

I found You Can't Teach an Old Demon New Tricks to be a light, entertaining read with a number of fla...more
Cheryl
Rachel Farnsworth has the perfect life. She is married to a good man, Kevin and they have a one year old son, Cassidy Henry. They live in the town of Dogwood. Or course living in Dogwood, nothing is normal or as it seems.

Kevin has skipped town. He has been found out and wanted to leave before the going got tough.

Samsapiel “Sam is a fallen angel. Sam has been sent to retrieve Kevin. When Sam first meets Rachel, he takes her for someone who is looking to better themselves by hooking up with a de...more
Erin O'Riordan
Just like the first book in this series, Every Demon Has His Day, this book is silly, goofy fun that combines chick lit with paranormal romance and horror-comedy. The heroine is Rachel, a young mom whose husband's body has been taken over by a demon named Pan. Pan is the father of Rachel's one-year-old son Cassidy, and the half-demon child (while not himself evil) exhibits some very unusual mischievous behavior. After the demon-husband unceremoniously splits, he's tracked down by the novel's her...more
Megan B.
Can't Teach an Old Demon New Tricks by Cara Lockwood is a funny and interesting novel, but also a bit of a let-down. It is marketed as a romance book but to be honest I didn't find this novel romantic. The two main characters, Sam and Rachel didn't have that connection that makes romance novels so great. There was also no love scenes, I'm not a big fan of erotica but I believe every romance novel should have at least ONE love scene. Frankly, I stopped being interested in the book at the last 50...more
Jtepper
Jun 05, 2010 Jtepper rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy, demons, angels, pg-rated romance and amusing fiction
Recommended to Jtepper by: trolling the internet
"Can't Teach an Old Demon New Tricks" is the latest by Cara Lockwood and the second in what is so far a 2-book series about various supernatural entities of the diabolical variety raising hell (literally) in Dogwood, Texas. I did not read the first in the series ("Every Demon Has His Day") but that did not seem to detract from my enjoyment of this short (372 page), fast-moving novel. This time around, Rachel Farnsworth discovers during the span of about a day or so that 1) her husband, Kevin, ha...more
Red
STARS RATING: 3.5
------------
Setelah suaminya pulang dari konferensi yang dihadirinya lima tahun yang lalu, Rachel merasa bahwa Kevin telah berubah; dari pemuda SMA yang seorang atlit football menjadi seorang suami yang pemalas. Namun ia tidak menyangka, dengan pemberitahuan dari telepon bahwa rumahnya akan disita karena digadaikan, Kevin telah berani untuk meninggalkannya dan Cassidy, anaknya lelaki mereka yang imut dan serta membawa uang tabungan mereka. Namun beberapa pria datang ke rumahnya...more
Barbara ★
It's hard not to like a book that has giant killer toddlers in it! As well as angels, various types of demons, fallen angels, a half-demon half-human baby and Lucifer himself. Heck, even Lilith makes an appearance! A humorous take on angels and demons though an editor might have been helpful.

I didn't read the first book (well honestly I didn't even notice that this was part of a series) but I don't think it was imperative. I liked the bumbling angels-in-training - Gabriel Too and Frank the New....more
Sequel to Every Demon Has His Day. So now Rachel, Constance’s best friend gets a taste of the supernatural. Rachel is married to a sloth demon and she thinks something is wrong with her toddler, Cassidy. That would be a big YES, he’s half demon and enjoys burping fires. Now supernatural freakiness is headed toward Dogwood County Texas once again. Characters from Every Demon Has His Day make appearances, along with a fallen angel/bounty hunter, a giant baby, more demons than you can shake a stick...more
Adrian
I give this book 3 stars although there were several times I had to force myself to keep reading. The only reason I forced myself was because I absolutely hate not finishing a book once I start it.
I guess my problem was that I never connected with anyone in the book so I could care less what happened. Nothing ever happened to make me want to keep reading to find out what was going to happen. However, about 3/4 of the way through the book, I did start getting a little interested but by that point...more
Joyce
Summary: Rachel Farnsworth doesn't believe in the paranormal. She can find plenty of evil forces right in east Texas, like the Mega-Mart that's driving her family's hardware store into the ground. But when her marriage goes up in smoke, Rachel discovers that her husband Kevin isn't just a deadbeat; he's also a demon with a renegade bounty hunter--a fallen angel named Sam--chasing him. Now, Sam's heavenly attraction has down-to-earth Rachel believing in celestial magic, but will it be enough to s...more
Farathiah Nurfaried
smua krakter di novel ini sgt kuat. I loved selipan2 humor pnulisnya mskpun critanya ni fantasy-supranatural. But it's addicting
Yodamom
A fun, silly, and upbeat paranormal tale.It branches off from the first book "Every demon Has His day" and tells a story of Rachel, Constance's friend, and mother to a devilish toddler. Literarily, she finds out her no good lazy husband has been replaced by a sloth demon and her baby is 1/2 demon. Cassidy, the toddler is hilarious, and the perfect toddler, LOL Sam a bounty hunter comes to town to take her husband in, yes, he's wanted. That's when the story gets crazy and just keeps going. A very...more
Yvonne Boag
Rachel is about to find out how different life really is. It turns out the man she thought was her husband was killed 5 years ago and she has actually been living with a sloth demon. That makes her baby a half demon which explains why things have started combusting around him. And then there is Sam, the bounty hunter after her so called husband who claims to be a fallen angel. What else can happen?
All I can really say about this book is that I have read worse.
Heidi
This was a fun romp with a mom, a fallen angel, a 1/2 demon 1/2 human baby named Cassidy who randomly sets things on fire and teleports, two bumbling "watcher" angel named Gabriel Too and Frank the New and a bunch of other demons and the devil himself.
Overall, I really liked the book, but I wish there had been more about Cassidy, the baby. I guess I'll just have to wait for his book to show up. Sam and Rachel, the mom and fallen angel, were great together.
Kelly
Aug 13, 2010 Kelly marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Stalled out on this one around page 80-something and have never really felt the urge to go back to it. Just a mismatch between reader and book, I think, because I can't put my finger on anything actually wrong with it. Other readers will no doubt find it cute. It's sort of "light urban fantasy meets mommy lit." I guess I like my UF darker, and when I do want fluff in my UF, I prefer chick-lit elements to mommy-lit elements.
Lisa
Favorite Quote :
"Pertama, putramu setengah manusia, ingat itu. Dia punya jiwa. Dan dia punya kehendak bebas. Dia bisa memilih jalannya sendiri," kata Sam. "Dan hal lain yang mungkin tidak kamu ketahui, kita semua - dari setan sampai malaikat - bisa mengubah takdir. Selalu ada yang menyeberang dari kedua pihak setiap waktu. Malaikat bisa jatuh, tapi setan juga bisa bangkit."

Hhhmmm... begitu yaa...
Christinnatalia
Dari segi penyampaian cerita, novel ini tidak membosankan. Apalagi dengan tema yang tidak biasa, melibatkan malaikat dan setan yang disajikan dengan cara yang manusiawi. Maksudnya adalah penggambaran karakter non-manusia tersebut dalam wujud dan watak seperti manusia. Secara keseluruhan sih lumayanlah untuk pengisi waktu senggang walau tidak meninggalkan kesan apa-apa.
Melissa McCauley
While there is nothing to really dislike about this book, I often felt like I was reading a screenplay or a description of video game action. This sequel to Every Demon Has His Day is light, funny and utterly forgettable. Full of one-liners and stereotyped characters that will be perfect for the movie or CW series, it was hard to muster up the will to finish.
Diane ~Firefly~
Good follow-up book. I would have liked more interaction with the baby. Also, I've noticed that some of the main demons from the books are actually pretty interesting and I want them to stick around. Not much romance and I was left wondering about the possibility of future babies for the couple. And I really wonder how the finances were straightened out.
Jenn
I really wanted to like this. The previous novel made me laugh out loud. It was snarky, fresh, campy, and sweet all at the same time. The follow-up just didn't have the same spark. I became irritated with the lead characters, and longed for more Frank!
This book was an 'eh' compared to the previous book being an 'Ooh!'.
Joann Buchanan
You can't argue with the entertainment of a novel that starts with Frank the New and Gabriel Two. I loved this novel. It was romantic entertaining and funny. It's hard to have that combination but Cara Lockwood pulled it off in such a unique fashion, it was hard not to laugh. I highly reccomend this novel!!!
Michelle Warren-butler
This was a nice light comedy, not unlike "Men in Black" only this book can boast a host of characters such as Angels, Demon and even the Devil himself makes an appearance! This is not a life changing story, but its not meant to be! Its a fun read when your not looking for something heavy!
  • Demon Ex Machina (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom, #5)
  • My Way to Hell (Hell #2)
  • A Tale of Two Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, #3)
  • Witch in the House
  • Dead Man Talking (Pepper Martin #5)
  • He Loves Me, He Loves Me Hot (Immortally Sexy, #3)
  • Sucker Bet (Vegas Vampires, #4)
  • The Leap
  • Dragons Prefer Blondes (Caruthers Sisters #2)
  • Much Ado About Magic (Enchanted, Inc., #5)
  • Shadow Blade (Shadowchasers, #1)
  • Locked in Silence (Grimm's Circle, #5)
  • Real Vampires Know Size Matters (Glory St. Clair, #10)
  • Bumi
I grew up in Mesquite, Texas, which for those of you who like livestock shows, is the home of the Mesquite Rodeo. Ironically, Mesquite was named after Mesquite trees, only none of them now exist in the city, which is about fifteen minutes east of Dallas. No, I don't own a pair of cowboy boots, although I do own quite an impressive collection of black shoes. My Dad is a third-generation Japanese-Am...more
More about Cara Lockwood...
I Do -- But I Don't I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2) Wuthering High (Bard Academy, #1) Pink Slip Party Dixieland Sushi