Start by marking “The Fine Art of Literary Mayhem: A Lively Account of Famous Writers & Their Feuds” as Want to Read:

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  23 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Published May 1st 1983 by Lexikos

To ask other readers questions about The Fine Art of Literary Mayhem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fine Art of Literary Mayhem

Kirk
Jan 10, 2011 Kirk rated it liked it
Literary feuds can make for entertaining blood sport. I'm not sure anyone has topped Mary McCarthy's piquant dispatch of Lillian Hellman ("[E]very word she writes is a lie, including 'and' and 'the'") in the past 30 years, though it hasn't stopped folks like Dale "The Impaler" Peck from trying (most famous line: "Rick Moody is the worst writer of his generation"). It's the quest for the most jugular-piercing quip that we enjoy. Unfortunately, the verbal eviscerating isn't always as clever as McC ...more
Kathleen
Jan 10, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it
I really liked it because it reminded me not only of the pettiness and rivalry of certain literary types but also the geniality and generosity of others, and how, usually, it works out better just not to respond to mean-spirited verbal attack. I noticed in these historical and famous feuds that the negative clever comments may be fun to read but are often 1) off the mark and 2) more about the critic than the work/writer.

Of course, sometimes such comments are quite wonderful and on the mark, too
Stephanie
Aug 06, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reading
Hemingway, Dickens, Wells- These and many other famous authors have become immortalized as generation after generation pass along their works, most earning the title of 'modern classic'. What readers don't consider is that these writers had lives outside of the words on the pages, and just like the famous media stars of today, their lives were sometimes driven to create drama. Only, their feuds with each other tended to be a little more subtle than the paparazzi fighting to get the best pictures ...more
Matt
Aug 14, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2008
Very entertaining accounts of literary feuds that are only occasionally interfered with by the author's clumsy hand. My favorites were H.G. Wells vs. Henry James, the chapter on Hemingway and the chapter on Norman Mailer.
Full of interesting tidbits: Pope was only 4'6"; Turgenev had a very high-pitched voice and was forever haunted by a cowardly incident on a ship headed for Germany; Gin and Bitters, the parody of Maugham that publishers gleefully advertised as a "novel about a novelist who write
Ron
Oct 25, 2014 Ron rated it liked it
I usually enjoy these kind of books, quick read and entertaining. The highlight for me was Turgenev's chaotic relationship with Dostoevsky and Tolstoy and Mailer's feuds with.....everyone.

All in all, it could've used a few more feuds of note. I thought the Henry James and Sinclair Lewis chapters were disappointing and others were just boring.
Mary Drew
Dec 09, 2012 Mary Drew rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, nonfiction, history
I liked this because I learned about authors I didn't know and more about authors that I do know. I wasn't all that interested in the actual feuds, but what they revealed about the personalities. Of course, there is always more than one side to the story....
Laurel
Oct 21, 2009 Laurel rated it really liked it
Well written, entertaining, great resources, but towards the end it got a little tiresome and a bit like "quick, it's time to end"....
Marielle
Marielle marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Jesstastic
Jesstastic marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Ash
Ash added it
Nov 13, 2015
Dan Boucher
Dan Boucher marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Sharmila
Sharmila marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Nyla
Nyla rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Bailey
Bailey marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Jessica Stilwell
Jessica Stilwell rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Deepika Srivastava
Deepika Srivastava marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2013
Hannah Rutledge
Hannah Rutledge rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2013
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2012
Molly Green
Molly Green marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2012
Richard Ross
Richard Ross rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2012
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2012