Start by marking “Smoke from This Altar” as Want to Read:
Smoke from This Altar

Smoke from This Altar

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Smoke From This Altar, a book that has become legendary among Louis L'Amour readers, is the very first book L'Amour ever published. It appeared, to great critical praise, for sale only in Oklahoma bookstores more than fifty years ago. Since then it has become the most sought-after L'Amour title of all, with the few circulating copies from the small print run commanding top ...more
Published June 3rd 2009 by Bantam (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Smoke from This Altar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke from This Altar

Sara Diane
Dec 25, 2011 Sara Diane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry fan
Shelves: poetry, 2011, reviewed
I picked this up more out of curiosity rather than interest, but I'm glad I did. L'Amour has a lovely way with words. Even if he's a bit too formal and structured for my everyday taste, he had some wonderful lines, and a few absolute gems in this collection. It was easy to see that the poems collected at the end (not in the original publication) were not as polished as the rest, but considering his wife added those after his death, it's not a big surprise.

A fantastic collection of poetry
Manuel Sanchez
This is a book that has become legendary among Louis L'Amour readers - the very first book he ever published (poetry). He remains the only novelist in American history to receive both the Congressional Gold Medal and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. His books consisted primarily of Western novels (though he called his work 'frontier stories'), however he also wrote historical fiction (The Walking Drum), science fiction (The Haunted Mesa), nonfiction (Frontier), as well as poetry and short-stor ...more
Rogue-van (the Bookman)
L'Amour transports you into the lonely and beautiful places he has visited in these poems. They show his facility with words and his love of the frontier. The mystery in nature is only partly received by a heart that is reaching out, seeking, calling, wandering. I'm not really into poetry, but I think Thoreau would have appreciated these.
Interestingly, this was L'Amour's first published book, and his only book of poetry. Most of the poems are naturalist in content- concerning the sea, seasons, land regions, and skies. There are a few humorous ones like the one where he writes of how frustrating it is that people often mispronounce his name. I read a few to my son and he liked them also, especially "A Handful of Stars."
background on me as a reader: I am not a poetry expert and I've actually not read anything else by Louis L'Amour. there were things I enjoyed about some of the poems (most especially observations of nature), but in general this was just not a collection suited to my tastes??
I enjoy the imagery of Louis L'Amour's writing. As a teenager I read most of his westerns and didn't realize his first book was poetry until much later. I especially like a Handful of Stars and My Three Friends.
This is a good book, but it isn't my favorite of the Louis L'Amour books. I do recommend this book to anyone that is interested in a good read.
Sophomoric at times but does give a nice sense of the world and philosophy of L'lamour.
May 13, 2008 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers
Recommended to Wendy by: Amy Cook
Shelves: poetry-prose, favs
This book was a surprise to read, no doubt! I was expecting that I'd get something of the western fiction out of it, and was skeptical, but I was very pleased to find the poetry as mournful and beautiful as it was! This is a must read for anyone who wants to be pleasantly surprised.
There are flashes of brilliance--a line here and there--but a little over-sentimental for my tastes. Not too bad, but not my favorite. I was actually surprised that L'Amour did more than Westerns.
Kent Barlow
ive had this book for at least 20 years and everytime i go back to it i am inspired. its a poetic little brother to thoreaus walden in that it motivates me to really live.
Fredrick Danysh
This is a collection of poetry from the masterful writer of westerns, Louis L'Amour. His poetry covers a variety of topics and are fun to read.
This is not one of my favorite books of poetry but I grew up a fan of Louis L'Amour and had to try it. He is a very good poet and I enjoyed it!
A lot of the poems in this book give a more accurate depiction of what it's like on the ocean than anything else I have read.
Sep 05, 2009 Cade rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in the outdoors, those that like poetry
An amazing book of poetry from a man that lived many lives and experienced many places.
Starry Eve
L'amour proved to be as great a poet as he was a writer of westerns.
Shockingly good poetry from this pulp western writer.
Read My Three Friends! Beauty, humor, dark and bright.
I think this is an excellent book of poetry.
Also read in 1992
Feb 28, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
John is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2015
Alan marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Heather0799 marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Douglas marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Kaylee added it
Sep 02, 2015
Mansu marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
  • The Rustlers of Pecos County
  • My Father Was a Toltec and Selected Poems
  • I Ain't Got Time to Bleed: Reworking the Body Politic from the Bottom up
  • One Hundred and One Famous Poems: With a Prose Supplement
  • Body Mind Balancing: Using Your Mind to Heal Your Body
  • Radical Evolution: The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies -- and What It Means to Be Human
  • Before the Kiss
  • Science, Politics, and Gnosticism
  • Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Vol. 2: 2000-2004 (Hardcover)
  • The Union
  • Complete Financial Guide For Young Couples
  • Roget's II: the new thesaurus
  • Western Wind: An Introduction to Poetry
  • Averill (The Brocade, #3)
  • Narrative Poems
  • Sterling Redmond
  • Beyond Peace
  • The American Heritage College Dictionary
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed Hondo Sackett's Land The Walking Drum The Lonesome Gods: A Novel