Start by marking “Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic, and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons” as Want to Read:

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Feed Your Brain

Tastier than a twizzler yet more protein-packed than a spinach smoothie, Brain Candy is guaranteed to entertain your brain—even as it reveals hundreds of secrets behind what’s driving that electric noodle inside your skull.

These delicious and nutritious pages are packed with bits of bite-sized goodness swiped from the bleeding edge of brain science (inc
Published August 3rd 2010 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2010)

Nikki
Nov 11, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
Just about what it says on the tin: a mixed bag of interesting facts, paradoxes to consider, puzzles, and logic problems to sharpen your brain on. Probably not the best time to choose to read this, as I appear to have flu right now, but it was pretty interesting. It's presented fairly badly, though, everything all mixed up together, and you're always flipping back and forth to the back of the book. Something to dip into more than to sit down and read through, I suppose.
Garth Sundem
Aug 03, 2010 Garth Sundem rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Um, I don't know much about this book but I heard it's really, really good.
Daniel Bastian
Oct 14, 2014 Daniel Bastian rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
From science writer and TED-Ed speaker Garth Sundem comes a Pandora’s box of brain taffy to stuff somewhere in your hippocampus, the bulk of which you’ll probably lose all recollection of shortly after consumption. In a quixotic attempt to ward off this neurological misdemeanor, I’ll take some moments to queue up any residual anamnesis I still have of Garth Sundem’s vat of brain confectionery.

In some ways, I enjoyed Brain Candy, but not in the ways I normally enjoy a book. Also 'book' is not per
RH Walters
Apr 23, 2013 RH Walters rated it it was ok
Shelves: sampled
I went through every page in this book reading the studies, doing some of the personality tests and skipping all the logic problems. I checked it out of the library because it quoted a study that said drinkers are less likely to develop dementia. Has some beautiful handwriting samples.
Sophia
Apr 21, 2016 Sophia rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
For starters, this had one of the most amazingly on the nose titles I have ever seen associated to a book. I mean, the metaphor goes deep. This book is essentially junk food for the mind, a collection of succulent facts (?) that grab your attention but you quickly forget about as you consume more and more. You know its bad for you, it's wrong, but you just keep going for one more bite, and hey look! another puzzle. I found that the premise did a good job of putting the book above reproach by spe ...more
Todd Martin
Jul 01, 2016 Todd Martin rated it it was ok
Brain Candy is a collection of scientific facts and logic puzzles that seem to be geared towards the ‘those who read on the toilet club’ (of whom I do not count myself a member). There are some interesting tid-bits of information to be found, but the brevity with which each topic is covered doesn’t lend itself to depth. Moderately interesting.
Emma G
Mar 29, 2011 Emma G rated it it was amazing
One Sweet Cerebellem
You need some brain power? Brain Candy by Garth Sundem is one nutritious book. Learn about parts of the brain, phobias, optical illusions, and another grab bag of goodies. Enjoy a fun way to boost your IQ.
Country music causes suicide, ways to win any conversation, carrot math? In each subject- it shows you what you're brain does and how. There was once a prince who thought he was a cow! Also- a King who's horse was a Preist and Consul! Fun facts and good thinking.
So, if y
Kim
Sep 20, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
This was a fun book. It is a collection of short little facts/stories/studies about the brain (none of them more than a few paragraphs). The format made it easy to read in small chunks, which was nice. When I started it, I kept thinking how it was like reading a bunch of mini episodes of RadioLab. Funny enough, the book actually ended up referencing the "Parasites" episode, and there were several other stories/studies along the way that I remembered also hearing on RadioLab. You will probably fe ...more
Danielle Morency
Jul 12, 2014 Danielle Morency rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book, filled with science, facts, puzzles, visual illusions... I liked this book so much, I went out and bought it. And have since re-read it twice. The very best part of the book is the beginning chapter where it discusses trepanation. WOW. I personally got some odd looks because of the snort-laughter it caused to erupt out of me while I was waiting for my laundry to finish. The author has a great wit about him which turns a somewhat dry subject into one that is thoroughly e ...more
Jeff
Mar 31, 2012 Jeff rated it did not like it
Potentially a really interesting book, with lots of random facts about how our brains work. However, I found the format of the book really hard to follow and the topics not all that interesting. Might be a book to check out from the library as I can't validate if you will find it interesting or not. And I usually love these types of books with lots of facts about our brains!
Rob
Jul 24, 2012 Rob rated it liked it
Brain Candy, by Garth Sundem, is an eclectic collection of statistics, studies, and stories about how our brains work. Sundem haphazardly arranges the minutiae of cognitive facts in an almost 300 page deluge. Some of this stuff is actually super interesting and would make for great conversation topics, but the book wore on me as I neared the ending.
John
Aug 16, 2011 John rated it liked it
Full of interesting tid-bits and studies, it is certainly an entertaining read. Though it may not let you in on any deep knowledge of neuroscience or anatomy it does offer interesting info about what makes us "tic." Good for light reading when you have time to spare.
Jim Razinha
Sep 08, 2012 Jim Razinha rated it it was ok
The puzzles are simple and worn, the stacattoed sound bites too inconsistent (and done better in other books) and the Zen moments patently absurd.

Weak effort. Should be one star, but it might entertain some.
Patricia
Oct 12, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing
I bought this book by accident and I loved it. It is a compilation of short stories, facts and puzzles related to the brain. I found it really fun and somehow I learned a lot of stuff about the brain.
Lea
Sep 04, 2010 Lea rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2010, reviews
Fast & easy read, full of fun & interesting facts as well as a lot of thought provoking information. I really enjoyed the author's humourous style -- lots of fun.
Kelly Studebaker
Sep 29, 2011 Kelly Studebaker rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, science
fun, lots and lots of tidbits and things I was not in the know of regarding science, which is rare, recommended table top or page by page for stimulating past-time
Cari-chan
Apr 28, 2011 Cari-chan rated it liked it
I learned that coffee and cigarettes make you smarter! I dislike both of those things, but I might try them, just for the experience. The coffee, I mean. Hehe.
Daynalynn
Aug 17, 2012 Daynalynn rated it it was amazing
This book was a lot of fun to read. I recommend it to anyone who likes to learn useless yet interesting/knowledgeable information. I learned a lot.
Michelle R.
Oct 21, 2010 Michelle R. rated it liked it
While generally interesting, there's not much book there and much of the thin volume is filled with credits and attributions.
Todd Di Gasparro
Oct 14, 2013 Todd Di Gasparro rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Totally random knowledge that crosses your mind at some point in your life and its all unique!
Jonathan
Sep 11, 2012 Jonathan rated it liked it
When it was the puzzles/games, it was tons of fun. The other half of the book was dull.
Derick
Feb 08, 2012 Derick rated it liked it
Lots of short articles: many which are about scientific research and studies.
Jonathan
Nov 28, 2010 Jonathan rated it it was ok
Ok bathroom book...a few interesting items and a lot of uninteresting ones.
Pam
Dec 04, 2011 Pam rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, non-fiction
A good filler, with a nice mix of anecdotes and puzzles.
Aug 23, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
Loved it!!! Filled with fun brain facts and logic puzzles.
Brindi
not what i thought it was going to be....
Iami Menotu
Sep 21, 2013 Iami Menotu rated it liked it
a collection of interesting tit bits
Ch J Loveall
Oct 31, 2011 Ch J Loveall rated it liked it
have seen before
Mike
Jun 27, 2011 Mike rated it it was ok
Pretty junky
Christina Flibotte
Christina Flibotte marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
  • The Little Blue Reasoning Book: 50 Powerful Principles for Clear and Effective Thinking
  • Brain Fuel: 199 Mind-Expanding Inquiries into the Science of Everyday Life
  • On Second Thought: Outsmarting Your Mind's Hard-Wired Habits
  • How Does Aspirin Find a Headache? : An Imponderables' Book
  • Brain Bugs: How the Brain's Flaws Shape Our Lives
  • Twitter Wit: Brilliance in 140 Characters or Less
  • The Owner's Manual for the Brain: Everyday Applications from Mind-Brain Research
  • Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets
  • Caffeine for the Creative Mind: 250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain
  • Discover Your Genius: How to Think Like History's Ten Most Revolutionary Minds
  • Labyrinths of Reason: Paradox, Puzzles and the Frailty of Knowledge
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
  • Just Do It: How One Couple Turned Off the TV and Turned On Their Sex Lives for 101 Days (No Excuses!)
  • Your Brain on Food: How Chemicals Control Your Thoughts and Feelings
  • In Over Our Heads: The Mental Demands of Modern Life
  • Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day
  • The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words
Garth works at the intersection of math, science, and humor, with a background including a growing list of bestselling books, a Magna Cum Laude pre-med/music degree from Cornell University, and math-for-hire for mobile app and tech companies. In addition to conferences, colleges, and bookstores, you may have seen Garth's work on the Science Channel, where he's a frequent onscreen contributor, onli ...more
More about Garth Sundem...