Start by marking “The Path to Tyranny” as Want to Read:
The Path to Tyranny

The Path to Tyranny

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Western civilization is risking the return of tyranny by increasing the size and scope of government. Throughout history, free societies descended into tyranny when their populations realized they can use the power of government to give themselves benefits at the expense of others. The Path To Tyranny examines how and why each of these free societies descended into tyranny ...more
Published by Eleftheria Publishing (first published May 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Path to Tyranny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Path to Tyranny

The Constitution of the United States of America by Founding FathersThe Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the U... by Thomas JeffersonThe Federalist Papers by Alexander HamiltonGreen Illusions by Ozzie ZehnerThe Revolution by Ron Paul
Best Books to Become an Informed Voter
214th out of 677 books — 860 voters
John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinThe Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
Best History Books
377th out of 1,599 books — 1,492 voters

More lists with this book...

Anastasia Fitzgerald-Beaumont
“Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.” Do you know who wrote that? I confess I did not. It was Tom Paine, a statement from Common Sense, his defence of the American rebels of 1776. I’ve only ever read The Rights of Man and have no high opinion of Paine. Still, I agree with his sentiments here, never more so than today, never more so than at this time.

There are so many things we take for granted in our lives, people who live in rela
Chad
WOW, what a book! If you feel that history repeats itself or at least rhymes this book is a must. We can learn so much from history and this book solidifies that fact. The past is our key to the future and Michael Newton has taken not one, nor two, nor three, but numerous free societies throughout history and shows how the growth of their governments led to their downfalls. I recommend this book to all American citizens who are old enough to read. I am going to encourage my family and friends to ...more
Matt
The book started out a bit slow for me, as getting through the ancient Greeks and the first half of the Roman empire was a chore. From there the book really took off though. Reading this book has inspired me to dig deeper and explore the many resources in the vast bibliography. Well worth the time for those who love our country, despite its government.
Michael Newton
Aug 16, 2011 Michael Newton rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
List of reviews from other sites available at:
Janice
Fabulous!! Read it twice if you never really learned the truth in school. Many progressive teachers lie about history. Newton's book will open your eyes to why we have to question what's happening in our country today. We don't want to be a few pages in a history book entitled "The Fall of the American Empire."
Jeff Smith
Excellent book. Newton lays it out so plainly. The path from freedom to tyranny and the sad consequences. Unfortunately the US is pretty far along the path and it won't take much to push us the last little bit. How do we reverse course? Is it possible at this late date? I hope so!
Jack Dunigan
Very well researched. As academic as is the material, the author's writing style is bright and compelling. Almost frightening analysis, but dead on accurate.
Lobug
Wow. What can I say about this book?

I truly wish every American would read this book this week.

It is somewhat of a history lesson- describing various influential nations/governments of the past- all the way from Greece, Rome, Israel, through Russia, Italy, and Germany in the 20th century. Then the last chapter talks about the United States; our history and the direction our nation/government is going.

It is eye-opening. Well-written, clear, understandable (although the statistics and numbers in
Martha Rodriguez
The Path to Tyranny literally walks us through a history of tyranny in places like Ancient Greece, Rome and Israel as well as Russia, Italy, Germany and even the United States. It brings to light how, through the ages, many have traded liberty for tyranny when promised wealth and equality.

Mr. Newton takes an innumerable amount of facts and arranges them in a straightforward way making for an interesting, educational and easy read. If you love history, you'll love this book and if you don't love
Carol
I thought I wrote this, but, here we go.

This book is one of those that is chalked up to learning from the past so as not to repeat the same mistakes in the future. Scary things happen when the few make choices for the many and also at the expense of the many. Too much given away for too little.
Interesting read.
Marcel Mos
Brian
I think that the author hid behind his 1000+ citations rather than do in depth research. The fundamental arguments might be sound, but most are presented without any rebuttal or counter arguments. It therefore had an unpolished and simplistic feel that left me questioning the author's credentials and basis for writing this work.
Jonna
Not finished with this yet, but really good so far. We are dangerously ignorant of history and our country is definitely sliding towards tyranny based on our current direction/policy. This book uses examples of societies in history to demonstrate how this happens. Kind of like the frog in the slowly boiling water idea.
Mike
This is a must read for anyone trying to make sense out of the craziness taking place in world today. Very well written, and brings a valuable historical perspective to help with that understanding. There is no doubt history repeats itself! The real question becomes, can human beings change it's course?
Kevin
A create historical, political, and economic survey of golden civilizations that have succumb to tyranny over their lifetimes.
Dave Schultz
Great read. Highly recommend for all. Author lays out historical evidence to show where America is headed. Wake up people!!!
John Schultz
Good primer to Progressive’s march towards tyranny.
Mark
Jul 12, 2012 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Mom
Lots of good history.
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Travis Wahlstedt
Travis Wahlstedt marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Steffenh
Steffenh marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Author Talk Book ...: A couple of book trailers I made 1 4 Nov 10, 2011 11:42AM
Goodreads Tea Party: 'The Path to Tyranny' trailers 1 2 Nov 10, 2011 11:42AM
  • Separation of Church & State: What the Founders Meant
  • Who Killed the Constitution?: The Assault on American Law and the Unmaking of a Nation
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • Disinformation
  • Why Government Is the Problem
  • Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility
  • Endless War: Middle-Eastern Islam vs. Western Civilization
  • The Great American Stickup: How Reagan Republicans and Clinton Democrats Enriched Wall Street While Mugging Main Street
  • The American Patriot's Almanac
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • What Kind of Nation: Thomas Jefferson, John Marshall, and the Epic Struggle to Create a United States
  • The Founding Fathers Guide to the Constitution
  • War and Decision: Inside the Pentagon at the Dawn of the War on Terrorism
  • The Age of Reagan: The Conservative Counterrevolution: 1980-1989
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Vietnam War
  • The Crisis
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War
Michael E. Newton graduated Summa Cum Laude with honors from Arizona State University with degrees in finance and computer information systems. He was a portfolio manager for ten years and writes about economics, finance, and the market. Michael Newton has always had a passion for history, politics, and economics, which led him write The Path To Tyranny: A History of Free Society's Descent Into Ty ...more
More about Michael E. Newton...
Angry Mobs and Founding Fathers: The Fight for Control of the American Revolution