Start by marking “The Path to Tyranny” as Want to Read:
The Path to Tyranny

The Path to Tyranny

Western civilization is risking the return of tyranny by increasing the size and scope of government. Throughout history, free societies descended into tyranny when their populations realized they can use the power of government to give themselves benefits at the expense of others. The Path To Tyranny examines how and why each of these free societies descended into tyranny ...more
Published by Eleftheria Publishing (first published May 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Path to Tyranny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Path to Tyranny

Anastasia Fitzgerald-Beaumont
“Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.” Do you know who wrote that? I confess I did not. It was Tom Paine, a statement from Common Sense, his defence of the American rebels of 1776. I’ve only ever read The Rights of Man and have no high opinion of Paine. Still, I agree with his sentiments here, never more so than today, never more so than at this time.

There are so many things we take for granted in our lives, people who live in rela
Chad
May 04, 2010 Chad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, history
WOW, what a book! If you feel that history repeats itself or at least rhymes this book is a must. We can learn so much from history and this book solidifies that fact. The past is our key to the future and Michael Newton has taken not one, nor two, nor three, but numerous free societies throughout history and shows how the growth of their governments led to their downfalls. I recommend this book to all American citizens who are old enough to read. I am going to encourage my family and friends to ...more
Janice
Oct 25, 2010 Janice rated it it was amazing
Fabulous!! Read it twice if you never really learned the truth in school. Many progressive teachers lie about history. Newton's book will open your eyes to why we have to question what's happening in our country today. We don't want to be a few pages in a history book entitled "The Fall of the American Empire."
Matt
Jan 04, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
The book started out a bit slow for me, as getting through the ancient Greeks and the first half of the Roman empire was a chore. From there the book really took off though. Reading this book has inspired me to dig deeper and explore the many resources in the vast bibliography. Well worth the time for those who love our country, despite its government.
Michael Newton
Apr 01, 2010 Michael Newton rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
List of reviews from other sites available at:
Martha Rodriguez
Dec 30, 2011 Martha Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
The Path to Tyranny literally walks us through a history of tyranny in places like Ancient Greece, Rome and Israel as well as Russia, Italy, Germany and even the United States. It brings to light how, through the ages, many have traded liberty for tyranny when promised wealth and equality.

Mr. Newton takes an innumerable amount of facts and arranges them in a straightforward way making for an interesting, educational and easy read. If you love history, you'll love this book and if you don't love
Lobug
May 06, 2014 Lobug rated it it was amazing
Wow. What can I say about this book?

I truly wish every American would read this book this week.

It is somewhat of a history lesson- describing various influential nations/governments of the past- all the way from Greece, Rome, Israel, through Russia, Italy, and Germany in the 20th century. Then the last chapter talks about the United States; our history and the direction our nation/government is going.

It is eye-opening. Well-written, clear, understandable (although the statistics and numbers in
Carol
Dec 05, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I wrote this, but, here we go.

This book is one of those that is chalked up to learning from the past so as not to repeat the same mistakes in the future. Scary things happen when the few make choices for the many and also at the expense of the many. Too much given away for too little.
Interesting read.
Jeff Smith
Jul 14, 2013 Jeff Smith rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Newton lays it out so plainly. The path from freedom to tyranny and the sad consequences. Unfortunately the US is pretty far along the path and it won't take much to push us the last little bit. How do we reverse course? Is it possible at this late date? I hope so!
Jack Dunigan
Apr 19, 2013 Jack Dunigan rated it it was amazing
Very well researched. As academic as is the material, the author's writing style is bright and compelling. Almost frightening analysis, but dead on accurate.
Marcel Mos
Nov 14, 2010 Marcel Mos rated it liked it
Jonna
Oct 17, 2013 Jonna rated it it was amazing
Not finished with this yet, but really good so far. We are dangerously ignorant of history and our country is definitely sliding towards tyranny based on our current direction/policy. This book uses examples of societies in history to demonstrate how this happens. Kind of like the frog in the slowly boiling water idea.
Brian
Jul 26, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok
I think that the author hid behind his 1000+ citations rather than do in depth research. The fundamental arguments might be sound, but most are presented without any rebuttal or counter arguments. It therefore had an unpolished and simplistic feel that left me questioning the author's credentials and basis for writing this work.
Mike
Jan 21, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone trying to make sense out of the craziness taking place in world today. Very well written, and brings a valuable historical perspective to help with that understanding. There is no doubt history repeats itself! The real question becomes, can human beings change it's course?
Mark
Mar 19, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Mom
Lots of good history.
Kevin
Nov 15, 2012 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political, history
A create historical, political, and economic survey of golden civilizations that have succumb to tyranny over their lifetimes.
John Schultz
Sep 07, 2012 John Schultz rated it really liked it
Good primer to Progressive’s march towards tyranny.
Dave Schultz
Mar 27, 2013 Dave Schultz rated it really liked it
Great read. Highly recommend for all. Author lays out historical evidence to show where America is headed. Wake up people!!!
George
May 29, 2015 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ebook, kindle
Very interesting reading about ancient and modern history. The book explores several themes that I did not previously know.
Rhonda Rae Baker
Rhonda Rae Baker rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Ari Orenstein
Ari Orenstein rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2014
Daniel E Nelson
Daniel E Nelson rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2016
Optimus Libri
Optimus Libri rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Rui Nobre Pinheiro
Rui Nobre Pinheiro rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2010
Clay Simpson
Clay Simpson rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2014
Clayton
Clayton rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
Edward Austin
Edward Austin rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Author Talk Book ...: A couple of book trailers I made 1 4 Nov 10, 2011 11:42AM
Goodreads Tea Party: 'The Path to Tyranny' trailers 1 2 Nov 10, 2011 11:42AM
  • We Still Hold These Truths: Rediscovering Our Principles, Reclaiming Our Future
  • Separation of Church & State: What the Founders Meant
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • Endless War: Middle-Eastern Islam vs. Western Civilization
  • Who Killed the Constitution?: The Assault on American Law and the Unmaking of a Nation
  • From the Age of Discovery to a World at War (America: The Last Best Hope #1)
  • Liberty's Blueprint: How Madison and Hamilton Wrote the Federalist, Defined the Constitution, and Made Democracy Safe for the World
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility
  • Why Government Is the Problem
  • Disinformation
  • War and Decision: Inside the Pentagon at the Dawn of the War on Terrorism
  • The Causes of the Civil War
  • The Second Civil War: How Extreme Partisanship Has Paralyzed Washington and Polarized America
  • Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America
  • The Age of Reagan: The Conservative Counterrevolution: 1980-1989
  • What Kind of Nation: Thomas Jefferson, John Marshall, and the Epic Struggle to Create a United States
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
Michael E. Newton graduated Summa Cum Laude with honors from Arizona State University with degrees in finance and computer information systems. He was a portfolio manager for ten years and writes about economics, finance, and the market. Michael Newton has always had a passion for history, politics, and economics, which led him write The Path To Tyranny: A History of Free Society's Descent Into Ty ...more
More about Michael E. Newton...