Start by marking “Silent Warrior: The Marine Sniper's Story Vietnam Continues” as Want to Read:
Silent Warrior: The Marine Sniper's Story Vietnam Continues

Silent Warrior: The Marine Sniper's Story Vietnam Continues

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  442 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In the United States Marine Corps, the most dangerous job in combat is that of the sniper. With no backup and little communication with the outside world, these men disappeared for weeks on end in the wilderness with nothing but intellect and iron will to protect them--as they would watch, wait, and finally strike.

But of all of the snipers who ever hunted human prey, one
Published January 1st 2003 by Berkley Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Warrior

Jeremy Wiser
Silent Warrior is a non-fiction book about the marine sniper Staff Sergeant Carlos Hathcock. It focuses on his kills and how he made them, and the intense moment he has had. He was, and still is, the worlds most decorated sniper and has the most confirmed kills in history. He was very successful in Vietnam where he served and one of the highlights of the book and his career was when he pinned down a entire platoon of soldiers from a cliff. He was very good at what he did and this book shows it, ...more
Dri
Amazing story, mediocre writing. It's rare that I encounter a story so good that I persevere despite the writing. I think the author jumps back and forth in time far too often that some of the narrative thread is lost. During some parts of the book, I would find myself engrossed in a particular section when the author abruptly shifts topic and time. Also, the author is a Marine and unfortunately did not adequately explain the meaning of jargon typically used by fellow marines. To a reader withou ...more
Bryce Teague
This book was written in third person omniscient. The setting is in Vietnam and in the united states during and after the Vietnam war. Charles Henderson tells the story of Carlos Hathcock, a Marine Corps sniper. Hathcock is credited with 93 confirmed kills and over 300 probibles.The main characters in this book are Carlos Hathcock and John Burke, Hathcock's partner. Henderson's writing style is straight and to the point. The book is non-fiction. The theme is history is important. I liked this bo ...more
ReyMichael
In high school, I was one of those kids that went through a war phase in which I loved every history lecture that had to do with past wars and watched every mainstream war movie that came out. During this time, I only read two war books, this one and Ghost Soldiers. This man's experience as a sniper was definitely exciting and probably why I took a liking to sniping in all my fps games.
Tom
A sequel to Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills, Henderson tells, through the memory of Carlos Hathcock as he lay dying of multiple sclerosis,
the exploits of the "Gunny" during his two tours in Vietnam. In addition to his military exploits, the struggle to recover from burns and his fight against his disabling disease, and attempt his to live a useful life is also told.

This book is a "one nighter." as a chapter ends instead of putting in a bookmark you will want to read one more chapter and suden
Kyleigh
I haven't read Marine Sniper yet. Yet being the key word, because Silent Warrior was so fantastic. It's like a biography, but really interesting and jam packed with action. It re-accounts Henderson's life and journey while he was a Marine Sniper, but it makes you feel like you're in the story.

You will truly appreciate the services men and women do for our country after reading this book. An incredible read, and what's even cooler is that it actually happened.
Travis
Charles Henderson threads another extraordinary volume about one of the greatest Marines to ever live! I would place his first work (Marine Sniper: 93 confirmed kills) as one of the greatest non-fiction books ever composed. This book adds more insight into the life of Carlos Hathcock and gleans as clear a picture of an American hero and patriot, humble and full of valor! Carlos Hathcock is one of my real life heroes! Semper Fidelis!
Jonathan Friedmann
This is an excellent sequel to Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills. It continues the biography of one of the best US snipers, Carlos Hathcock, covering some of the same experiences during his tours in Vietnam with different details, telling some new stories, but adding a much clearer focus to who Carlos Hathcock was as a person (and not just listing all his amazing achievements as a hero).
Dustin Gaughran
This is basically a long post script to Marine Sniper. I haven't read that one yet, but I was already familiar with who Carlos Hathcock II was from a previous book. There are a few points where it's obvious you need to read the first book about him to get a full understanding. Overall, though, you can read this on its own and enjoy it.
Gail Gross-brown
Mar 29, 2013 Gail Gross-brown rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Gail by: Micah
Like the previously written book Marine Sniper, this book was fascinating and well worth ready. The personal look at the culture of the marines and a particular man, was enlightening for me. I don't read many war books and especially about the Viet Nam War period, but I found both books compelling to read.
Alisha
Nov 19, 2008 Alisha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the military or Vietnam
Recommended to Alisha by: Jeremiah
This is the companion story to Marine Sniper by the same author. It is told as Hathcock's memories as he lays on his death bed. I laughed and I cried while reading this compelling novel of a Sniper's courage and humility as he helped better the United States Military through injury and illness. A must read!
Mike
Incredible story, but as this is the second book about the legendary Carlos Hathcock it gets only the left overs and fails to piece together many events into a cohesive narrative.
Sam
This book told the story of legendary Marine sniper GySgt Carlos Hathcock. He jumped in a burning vehicle to pull out Marines despite sustaining injuries that would cripple him.
Bob Crosthwait
The true story account of probably the greatest sniper in the world, Carlos Hathcock. This book dialogs most of his missions in Vietnam with a 'sniper like' precision.
Gwen Burrow
Great companion to Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills. Needs another trip to the editor's desk before it is truly worthy of the preternatural Carlos Hathcock.

Jeremy
Kind of like a fallow up of Marine Sniper. Its seems to add greater depth to the stories and charters. It would be good as a standalone book also.
Damon Thueson
Great ending to the first book...and more stories that could not be included in the first book as well. Love it!
Pat Dugan
Charles is a fellow Recon Marine and a damn good friend of mine. EXCELLENT BOOK!
Floy Dean
Great insight into the Vietnam war. Would recommend.
Samantha Parker
Great book, just as good as the first one
Emma
so far its great!
michael wassom
michael wassom marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Curt
Curt marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
  • One Shot - One Kill
  • Dead Center: A Marine Sniper's Two-Year Odyssey in the Vietnam War
  • Steel My Soldiers' Hearts: The Hopeless to Hardcore Transformation of U.S. Army, 4th Battalion, 39th Infantry, Vietnam
  • SOG: Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam
  • Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper
  • Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • Dear Mom: A Sniper's Vietnam
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War
  • Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle
  • I Ain't Got Time to Bleed: Reworking the Body Politic from the Bottom up
  • Men in Green Faces: A Novel of U.S. Navy SEALs
  • Rogue Warrior
  • Marine! The Life of Chesty Puller
  • There Was and There Was Not: A Journey through Hate and Possibility in Turkey, Armenia, and Beyond
  • Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War
  • Loon: A Marine Story
Henderson, Charles
Henderson, Charles W., 1948-
More about Charles W. Henderson...
Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills Goodnight Saigon Marshalling The Faithful: The Marines' First Year In Vietnam Jungle Rules: A True Story of Marine Justice in Vietnam Ghosts: Marine Snipers In Iraq