Start by marking “The Disappearance at Pere-Lachaise: A Victor Legris Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Disappearance at Pere-Lachaise: A Victor Legris Mystery

The Disappearance at Pere-Lachaise: A Victor Legris Mystery (Victor Legris #2)

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Fin de siècle Paris: the world of Verlaine and Zola, Renoir and Toulouse-Lautrec; a time of anarchists, scientists, and occultists, when can-can skirts were raised at the Moulin Rouge and fortunes were lost on the Panama Canal. Armand de Valois was one of these latter unfortunates, stricken by yellow fever at the site of his ruin. When his widow Odette disappears into his ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Disappearance at Pere-Lachaise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disappearance at Pere-Lachaise

Gerry
Aptly entitled a 'Mystery' because for me it still remains one. The setting is ideal, turn of the century Paris, but the storyline baffles me. I get the gist of it but the detail and who the heck is who and who did what escapes me completely. And who went missing and why? I don't know.

The idea of the sleuth, as it were, being a bookseller really appealed to me but this aspect of his character seems to get lost in the morass except for one or two occasions when it surfaces. And as for the other c
Reminder from: FrenchLiterature Yahoo! Group

This is the second book of a series of 8 books on Victor Legris murder investigations.

The first part of the book had many literary references, which made the reader to lose track on the murder investigation.

One this aspect is surpassed then the plot becomes quite interesting until its end.

In my opinion, some hints of Arsene Lupin style's can be felt in the main character.

And perhaps I would have enjoyed more this book if I had read the first book of th
Dagny
This second book in Victor Legris series is a very enjoyable read, more so for me than the first since I know the characters better. They're interesting and fun and for some reason I'm much more drawn to them this time. The mystery itself totally fooled me.
G.R.
This is the second in a series of books featuring the crime-solving Parisian bookseller Victor Legris.

It is 1890, and Odette de Valois, ex-lover of Left Bank bookseller and amateur sleuth Victor Legris, has disappeared whilst visiting her husband's grave at Père-Lachaise cemetery. Her maid, Denise, fears the worst and, in a dreadful state and knowing not a soul in Paris who can help her aside from her mistress' ex-lover, enlists Victor's help. At first reluctant to become involved, believing tha
Michelle
I'm generally in favor of period pieces, in particular mysteries. I love Paris. And so I believed when I picked this up that I'd delight in a story set in turn of the century Paris. I might have been wrong.

Victor Legris, a bookseller and part-time sleuth, is caught up the murder of his former lover when her maid comes to him in distress. She cannot find her mistress and believes she went missing in a cemetery, Pere-Lachaise, after trying to conjure up the ghost of her dead husband. Legris then
Betsey Manzoni
This book was somewhat enjoyable. The sisters writing under the pseudonym of Claude Izner do quite well with their writing style, but sometimes assume the reader knows more than about the story than has been told. Used bookseller Victor Legris gets drawn into the mysterious disappearance of his former flame and must traipse all over Paris seeking clues to her whereabouts. The characters have great potential and given further efforts, this writing duo is likely to churn out some good stuff. This ...more
Sandi
I wanted French and I wanted light and this fills both. Charming detective who owns a bookstore in Paris. I am also reading La Seduction, a non-fiction book on the art of seduction. This is delightful. I recommend this if you wish to understand one important facet of the French.

I finished both and enjoyed each. La Seduction was beautifully done and gave me an insight into the French from an American perspective. Definitely a good choice. The Pere-Lachaise Mystery was fun but not as dear to my he
Donald
Pretty dreadful. Uninteresting writing. The few historical tidbits were not enough to sustain this. Only made it half way through and then leafing through to the end, I still couldn't figure out what was going on. Who's dead, who killed them, who cares!
Aimelire
For all the hype about this book, I didn't like it. The book was slow. The mystery was not intriguing. The writing style was disjointed. Even the views of old Paris weren't written in a way that was interesting.

I always love a mystery... That is why I am so often forgiving when parts of it remain tangled. The Pere Lachaise Mystery was a book that could have been more captivating if there were less characters. I often lost track of who the people were and found myself looking back a great deal. To be honest with you, I didn't even like the main characters at all. However, the plot and setting were interesting enough to keep my attention. Apparently this book is part of a series wherein bookseller Victor ...more
Cheryl A
When Odette de Valois disappears from her husbands' tomb at the Pere-Lachaise cemetary, her maid Denise turns to her former lover, bookseller Victor Legris for help. Victor thinks that Odette has just gone off with another lover but promises Denise he will see what he can find out. After visiting Odette's apartment and finding it ransacked, Victor tries to get more information from Denise, only to find that she too has disappeared. As odd events and disappearances continue to mount, Victor must ...more
Bogdan
вот – и второй роман из серии детективных приключений парижского книготорговца виктора легри. на сей раз – год 1890, самое его начало, несколько месяцев спустя после того, как закончились таинственные убийства, связанные с эйфелевой башней, но еще до того, как окончательно вступит в силу неотвратимый «конец века», внеся в жизнь совершенно иные настроения.

и, как всегда, начну с послесловия, исключительно интересного, важного и ценного. которое, наверное, надо было бы ставить как предисловие и пр
Piglet
I like the Claude Izner books because I recognize the places in them, from our visits to Paris, and they are quite relaxing to read ... but to me, who likes gruesome psychological thrillers, well, I think they are a bit slow ... I don't know. I can't say tha I don't like them, but they aren't REALLY my cup of tea.

This is the second book about Victor Legris, the bookshop owner who likes to solve crime mysteries. His girlfriend Tasja, his friend/mentor Kenji, the shop assistant Joseph are all ther
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Sedotta dall'immagine in copertina e dall'ambientazione retrò mi sono fiondata su questo libro immaginando una qualche somiglianza, almeno per quanto riguarda l'atmosfera, con i racconti del maestro Poe. Ahimè, Victor Legris non è certamente Auguste Dupin e la Parigi delle sorelle Lilian Korb e Laurence Lefèvre ( Claude Izner è il loro nome de plume) non è quella de I delitti della Rue Morgue.

Victor Legris è un libraio che "respira più volentieri l'odore del sangue che quello della carta", e in
Tria
A decent mystery, of the kind that gives several clues to the ultimate culprit(s) but without giving enough away for the reader to solve it all within the first half of the book.

It's reasonably translated from the French, for all I can tell, though a glossary of language rather than simply of references to historical people would be an improvement on this edition - little point in translating it into English if you don't also include translations of the phrases left in French. I knew what they
Suzanne Skelly
This is second in a series that finds Victor Legris, a Parisian bookseller, at the heart of solving a murder mystery.

In Paris in the late 19th century many wealthy frenchmen got wrapped up in being part of the construction of the great Panama Canal. The concept was one of adventure and potentially GREAT financial gain- Armand de Valois was one of these frenchmen.

The story revolves around his life and death, the grief and latter passing of his widow Odette, and almost anyone who had touched her l
Jenny
Reasonably good read. I was vaguely interested in the history of Paris but would say I didnt really like the mystery. Some bits a little too grisly for my liking. Also certain characters didnt ring true. Maybe Paris was not as class ridden as UK but there were certain younger characters here who I suspect would not speak to older, better off characters in quite the way they do in this book.

So if you are interested in Paris and the setting then you might like this mystery story, otherwise I'd may
Jim
The second of the Victor Legris mysteries, The Disappearance at Pere-Lachaise: A Victor Legris Mystery features a pleasant but at times convoluted story. I had also read Murder at the Eiffel Tower by the two sisters who together are Claude Izner, and find this novel to be a slight improvement.
Alicia Harabin

While well written in terms of pacing, characters, and use of language, the mystery plot here is lacking. The amateur detective characters spend a lot of time following clues, but don't get much of anywhere. While it was possible to put together the clues to figure out whodunit, even the detective was clueless as to the motive at the end. A chapter was tagged on where the characters got a second-hand account of the confession in order to leave the reader satisfied. I'd read another Izner book,
Heather
Set in 19th-century Paris, a sleuthing bookshop owner, Victor Legris, reluctantly investigates the disappearance of his former lover whose husband recently died in Panama. Characters include a homeless man, artists, magicians, newspapermen, and people from all walks of life.

It was fun to see Paris during that period and the state of police work at the time. I liked Victor and his friends. It might have been the fact that I was in the middle of an international move, but I didn't find the story
Elderberrywine
Well, this is the last of the three Victor Legris mysteries that the LA County has on hand. Yet a quick peruse over at Powell's shows that there are plenty more to be had. LA County, I am disappoint.

It's not as if Legris and his merry band of odd confederates ever actually solves much (using the grey cells, as it were), but they usually manage to stumble onto the solution. But I am really becoming quite fond of the whole fin du siecle Paris mileau. Ah, Powell's, you nubile wench, I hear your cal
ℳatthieu
Deuxième tome des aventures policières de Victor Legris.
Ambiance parisienne de 1890, beaucoup d'attention sur des détails historiques (lieux, personnes, technique...) :)
J'ai un peu moins accroché que le tome précédent. L'écriture est moyenne, ça se lit bien sans plus. D'un paragraphe à l'autre on saute de scène c'est parfois frustrant quand on suit un personnage.

J'aime beaucoup le dernier chapitre "prologue" qui décrit la vie de l'époque.
Qiana
Overall a good mystery but *way* too much "name dropping" of streets. Got to be distracting after a while to the point where I'd hoped they wouldn't go anywhere so the author wouldn't give the blow-by-blow of ever street they went through. The end felt a bit rushed with all the ends that needed to be tied together. In the end, I probably will read the next in the series because I like the characters and how they are developing despite some of the flaws.
Mary
Started slowly, and only chose it because we visited the cemetery in Paris in 2001. But about the 3rd chapter, my interest in the story picked up. Looks like I'll enjoy it.

I did enjoy the book. My criticism is that it seemed contrived in spots. But the travels through the city of Paris kept me interested enough to finish the story. I would read another by these authors who collaborate as Claude Izner.
Bea
Italian edition. I truly enjoyed it. I was looking for an historical mistery that I could read easily. I loved the notes that were included in the italian version ( not too sure about the original one ) that really helped me taking a grab of what was going on at the time, both from an historical and cultural point of view. I would surely read the other adventures of this charming librarian :)
Kristin
Because of its puzzling mystery and its overwhelming number of minor characters, The Disappearance at Père-Lachaise isn’t the most satisfying read. But if you’re enchanted by the City of Lights, you’ll still find plenty here to hold your attention.

Read the full review at http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
Tim
Historical detective/crime fiction seems to be becoming something of a (sub)genre - Erast Fandorin, Phrynne Fisher and quite a few others. This series features the Paris of the 1890s, and has been translated from the original French.

It was ok, but pretty lightweight. I doubt I'll bother with any others in the series.
Thea Klapwald
I love the fact that Claude Izner is a nom-de-plume for two French sisters who are second hand booksellers. The detail of Paris in the 19th century is fabulous. The plots are more complicated than you might imagine at first. The main characters are all booksellers, too. You can't go wrong with these books!
  • Second Cadfael Omnibus: St.Peter's Fair/Leper of St.Giles/Virgin in the Ice
  • Eleven Days (Carrigan and Miller, #2)
  • Murder on the Ile Saint-Louis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #7)
  • Blasphemy: the true, heartbreaking story of the woman sentenced to death over a cup of water
  • Game of Patience (Aristide Ravel, #3)
  • I, Lucifer (Modesty Blaise, #3)
  • Cézanne's Quarry
  • Frost Hollow Hall
  • The Death of Lucy Kyte (Josephine Tey, #5)
  • Paris Under Water: How the City of Light Survived the Great Flood of 1910
  • Loch and Key (Incryptid, #0.8)
  • The Gathering of the Lost (Wall of Night, #2)
  • Blossoming In Provence
  • The Alchemy of Murder (Nellie Bly, #1)
  • The Blackpool Highflyer (Jim Stringer, #2)
Pseudonym of Liliane Korb (1940) and her sister Laurence Korb (1951) known as well as Laurence Lefèvre.

More about Claude Izner...
Murder on the Eiffel Tower (Victor Legris, #1) The Montmartre Investigation (Victor Legris, #3) The Marais Assassin (Victor Legris, #4) The Predator Of Batignolles (Victor Legris, #5) Le Talisman de la Villette (Victor Legris, #6)