Start by marking “The Complete Photo Guide to Knitting” as Want to Read:

*All You Need to Know to Knit
*The Essential Reference for Novice and Expert Knitters
*Packed with Hundreds of Crafty Tips and Ideas
*Step-By-Step Instructions and Photos for 200 Stitch Patterns

Looking for the perfect book on knitting? It's right here in The Complete Photo Guide to Knitting, 2nd Edition. This stitch guide is the ultimate knitting reference! A comprehensive
Published July 1st 2010 by Creative Publishing international (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Photo Guide to Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Photo Guide to Knitting

Marie Segares
Apr 26, 2011 Marie Segares rated it it was amazing
After about 25 years away from knitting, in the last year I decided to conquer my fears (of making enormous trapezoids) and start to knit again. Perhaps my motor skills are better now, or I understand yarn and needlecrafts better, or I'm just more patient, but this time it "stuck." An invaluable tool that I picked up along the way was Margaret Hubert's The Complete Photo Guide to Knitting. I recommend it to my beginner knitting students and think it is a great resource for your knitting library ...more
Kristen
Feb 01, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This was a huge help! I haven't knitted in years and pretty much needed to start from scratch, but this book got me back on track.
Josh
Sep 21, 2010 Josh rated it really liked it
Great resource for beginners, featuring plenty of detailed photos of many knitting patterns and techniques. Much more helpful that most online sources I have used.
Mary
Apr 01, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: library, own, crafts
So far I love this book. My only gripe is that it is illustrated in continental style. I'm an English knitter. But that's a small thing for me since I already know the techniques shown this way. More when I get through it. I've already spotted a of couple patterns worth making. And the stitch patterns have a few I haven't seen before.

Now that I'm done I definitely have plans to use some of the stitch patterns in some simple designs of my own. Or adapting patterns I have to include some of these
Allison Matus
Jan 08, 2012 Allison Matus rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Knitters
Shelves: crafts
I love bright, cheerful colors and books full of large, detailed photographs, so this book is ideal for me. I consider myself a beginner-intermediate knitter; I only just recently learned the purl stitch, don't know how to cable knit, and have only ever knit scarves. Well, I tried one of the "Experienced" two-color patterns in the book (X's and O's) and found that with Margaret Hubert's instruction, I was capable enough to knit a beautiful scarf using that pattern. I worked on it at a knitting c ...more
Heather
Apr 25, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
I love the large, color photos and the variety of patterns and projects. I've now tried two different projects: cable knitting and flower motifs. The cable knitting explanation and photos were fantastic. The flower motif pattern, unfortunately, is seriously confusing. I've now tried it three times and still haven't figured it out. Some of the terms aren't defined anywhere in the book (which is quite a significant oversight), and one of the terms is explained several pages later (but you have to ...more
Lil' Grogan
Jan 14, 2014 Lil' Grogan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poor reference guide for what it proclaims to be. I'm no expert knitter, and it's not a reference book I would use. Very beginner. "Specialty" knitting is intarsia, lace, entrelac and TOP-DOWN KNITTING???!!!? Stitch patterns only written, no charts, sparse barely-even-covering-the-basics technique section. Even more of a waste of time than the crochet version.
Heidi Hansen
Dec 03, 2012 Heidi Hansen rated it really liked it
Very helpful in learning textures, but there are a couple of notations that are not throughly explained. Since this starts with basic stitches, the book shouldn't assume that we know the intermediate level techniques (like twisting stitches).
Becky Moore
Jan 17, 2012 Becky Moore rated it it was amazing
My sister-in-law taught me to knit by watching her, so I have no idea how to read a pattern. This guide sheds a lot of light on the craft for me. Did you know there were more stitch patterns than stockinette? Wow! :)
Charlotte
Apr 13, 2016 Charlotte rated it really liked it
It's a great resource to refer back to. I tried several of the patterns, and they all turned out great. I do wish it had more different stitches though, and maybe more modern ideas.
Mckinley
Mar 04, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
This is a book for patterns of knitting and purling rather than patterns for projects. Clear and easy to follow.
R
Feb 15, 2011 R rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-books
seriously, this book is a continual read...and I LOVE IT! I actually went to the bookstore and bought it new and at full price (which for a knitting book in my world is a big deal).
Cyndi Smith
Feb 22, 2016 Cyndi Smith rated it really liked it
you can adapt any of these patterns easily and quickly to make scarves, sweaters, socks, mitts, etc. perfect and very clear :)
Katharine
Dec 18, 2012 Katharine rated it really liked it
Handy and helpful. But, the photos are not as crisp as the "Complete Photo Guide to Crochet" version.
Skari
Nov 30, 2013 Skari rated it really liked it
Really good resource for learning a lot of different stitch patterns.
Jan 20, 2017 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
Great introduction. Has easy patterns for beginners.
Erin
Aug 03, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Clear directions and many different patterns to take you from novice to experienced
Shannon
Dec 03, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Easy to read and understand, provides a vast number of stitch patterns for inspiration.
Patricia
Nov 17, 2010 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Beautiful large color pictures that demonstrate clearly how to do the various stitches. As a beginner I have found this book very helpful.
Kathryn Lepard
Kathryn Lepard rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2014
Bobbie  Upchurch
Bobbie Upchurch rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Laretta
Laretta rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Kate Kelly
Kate Kelly rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Kathy Hill
Kathy Hill rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2013
Brittany
Brittany rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Candi
Candi rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2013
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Cece
Cece rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • Domino Knitting
  • The Feisty Stitcher: Sewing Projects with Attitude
  • The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches
  • Cast On, Bind Off: 54 Step-by-Step Methods
  • Entrelac: The Essential Guide to Interlace Knitting
  • Circular Knitting Workshop: Essential Techniques to Master Knitting in the Round
  • Knit Fix
  • Cast On, Bind Off: 211 Ways to Begin and End Your Knitting
  • Getting Started Knitting Socks
  • Woodland Knits: 20 enchanting projects to make and share
  • Teach Yourself Visually Knitting
  • Crochet Master Class: Lessons and Projects from Today's Top Crocheters
  • Knitwear Design Workshop: A Comprehensive Guide to Handknits
  • Knit to Flatter: The Only Instructions You'll Ever Need to Knit Sweaters That Make You Look Good and Feel Great!
  • Embroidered Effects: Projects and Patterns to Inspire Your Stitching
  • Around the Corner Crochet Borders: 150 Colorful, Creative Edging Designs with Charts and Instructions for Turning the Corner Perfectly Every Time
  • Cute Stuff: Let's Make Cute Stuff By Aranzi Aronzo!
From her Ravelry Profile: I have been knitting and crocheting forever. I am a mother and grandmother, and a great grandmother. I design, teach, and write books. My first book was published in 1978, and I just completed my 19th book In addition to the books, I have 2 independently produced video’s/dvd’s, and 3 self published entrelac crochet patterns. My flicker name is MHDesigner. I love it all!

I
More about Margaret Hubert...