Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low-Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your H ealth--in Just Weeks!

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  468 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Join the thousands who have experienced dramatic weight loss, lowered cholesterol, and improvement or reversal of the damages of heart disease, adult-onset diabetes, and other major diseases by following this medically proven program.

Protein Power will teach you how to use food as a tool for

Dramatic and permanent weight loss
Resetting your metabolism and boosting your ene...more
Published October 21st 2009 by Bantam (first published 1996)

Rich the Diabetic
This book is a must read for a diabetic. I've been a type 1 diabetic for 42 years, and I learned more about insulin from this book, than from any other book I've ever read. I'm a nutrition geek, and I liked how this book explained all the nitty gritty details of the biochemistry that happen when you eat different foods. It's written in a way that conveys the science, but also adds in humor, to make reading about science more enjoyable. I give this book 5 stars.
Chris
After consuming this meaty but quick read, I implemented the prescribed style of eating. It has worked for me since 2000. The book's clarity and compellingly complete treatment of the metabolism gave me a fresh (and apparently accurate) perspective. This was my first, and probably last "diet" book. I can't believe this stuff is not taught in high school.
Michelle
Aug 12, 2012 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-health
Recommended by Robb Wolf in _The Paleo Solution_ (p. 102) for history of government-backed high-carb, low-fat industry.
Kristin
Pretty standard low-carb book. Lower stars because at the very end of the book the author actually gets to the crux of the matter--argiculturally driven grain based diets--but the menus and food recommendations all encourage the usage of these products in smaller amounts. There is no meaningful discussion about food quality anywhere in the book. And nothing discouraging readers from eating heavily processed foods--so long as those foods are relatively low-carb.

The message is inconsistent and le...more
Jodi
This book focuses on maintaining good health but tells you how to achieve weight loss as an additional side effect.

Phase 1 of the diet recommends that you eat less than 30 grams (net) of carbohydrate a day (plus lots of healthy fats and a 90 - 120 g or 3 - 4 oz serve of protein with at least 2 meals daily, depending on your weight/size).

Phase 2 of the diet allows up to 55 g of carbohydrates daily.

The Maintenance Phase allows 60 - 150 carbs a day, depending on what works best for you and your bod...more
Heather
This is one of the best books I've read on low-carb dieting. They go into a lot of depth on the science, explaining the relationship between insulin and glucagon and how they affect so many systems in the body. Their diet plan is easy to follow and very do-able, and is so far working nicely for me.
Sandy
Good diet book; whether they call themselves low-carb or high-carb, they all seem to have the same recipes.
Aleisha Z Coleman
really liked this book. I am currently on a path to lose 107 pounds and it seems that when you have that much weight to lose anything that works should be considered. I like how this is called an "adequate protein" diet, low carb, not a "high protein" diet because it doesn't bring images of mounds of bacon and high fat meat for every meal. for the most part the diet has been easy to follow for the 10 days I have been following it. the first week I lost 6 lbs. and 2% body fat. I hope to keep it u...more
Chrischris
The humerus anecdotes help break down otherwise technical science into easily digested knowledge that will help to build a healthy foundation for your lifetime of searching for your perfect diet. This is an old book. Worth the read if your wanting to by pass the Atkins & South Beach diet books. The recommendations for supplements in the back of the book should be researched as by now their are better.
Brenda
This book is good if you do not intend to lower your carbohydrate intake as much as I have (it calls for higher carbs and lower protein than I am eating). The BEST thing about this book is they teach you how to figure out exactly what your Lean Body Mass is (if you were to magically get rid of all your fat) and you body fat percentage (plus, exactly how to figure out your best weight range).
Carrie Gunn
It works. Just be sure to follow ALL of their instructions/recommendations. It may be difficult to avoid certain foods but I've never come across an easy-breezy diet in my life.
Salsadancer
Jun 16, 2009 Salsadancer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in a healthy diet
Scientific, historical and ancedotal evidence on why a high protein/low carbohydrate diet is healthy is well presented by the husband and wife doctors to the layperson.
Ellen Martens
Really good science behind their eating plan ... there is a formula in the book to help a person figure out the minimum protein they need each day. I found that very helpful.
Brie
The authors had some interesting things to say about protein and carbs and how they affect our bodies. Worth reading or at least a good skim over.
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Gabe Doliner
Great and simple treatment of metabolism and how to regulate it, all in the first two chapters. This book is worth it for that alone.
Fed
Nutrition is not just about proteins. Sure we need proteins to build muscle, but in a balanced diet.
Michelle O'Neil
Goes indepth re the scientific process for weight loss. Not for everyone, but I found it fascinating!
Nancy Schober
One of the better non-retarded diet books out there.
jlma
If you follow what RA teaches, you will be healthier!
Medusagoddess
Well-written and interesting
Fred
V good. Easy to read too.
Kelly Logan
Kelly Logan is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Ted Goergen
Ted Goergen marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram Your Genes for Effortless Weight Loss, Vibrant Health, and Boundless Energy
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution
  • The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
  • The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Food You Were Designed to Eat
  • The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
  • The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It
  • The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability
  • Sugar Blues
  • Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats
  • Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
  • The Game On! Diet: Kick Your Friend's Butt While Shrinking Your Own
The Protein Power Lifeplan The 30-Day Low-Carb Diet Solution The 6-Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle: The Simple Plan to Flatten Your Belly Fast! The Protein Power Lifeplan Gram Counter The Low-Carb Comfort Food Cookbook