Start by marking “The Pruning Book: Completely Revised and Updated” as Want to Read:
The Pruning Book: Completely Revised and Updated

The Pruning Book: Completely Revised and Updated

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Reich covers specialised techniques such as pollarding, pleaching, topiary, standards, mowing and bonsai, as well as looking at the pruning gardeners are most likely to encounter - from trees to indoor plants.
Published January 12th 2010 by Taunton Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Pruning Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pruning Book

I skim this book every spring before pruning anything. Reich has given me the confidence to attack a neglected and ancient sweet cherry tree on our property—and yes, the fruits are bigger and sweeter now. In depth info on fruit trees in various stages of life. Understandable explanations of how plants respond to different types of pruning and how to do those cuts.

Well organized contents page includes chapters and sub-sections: 1) Why Prune?, 2) Tools of the Trade, 3) Plant Responses to Pruning,
Great reference, and my only pruning-specific gardening book.
The Pruning Book not only provides information on the basics of pruning, it also has tips for making hedges, espaliers, and even for scything. Definitely recommended.
Need to get me a personal copy - easily read and very informative as all Lee Reich's books on fruit are. If I want to read something about gardening with Fruit, I start with Lee Reich's books.
This book covered a variety of ways to help and protect your trees and shrubs! I learned a lot and hope that my trees and shrubs will benefit from it too.
Really good pruning book with a ton of information on how and when to prune plants, trees, and vines.
Good information. I will refer back to it when it is the season to prune some of the bushes.
Comprehensive, with great illustrations.
learn how to prune everything!!
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Bonnie added it
Sep 04, 2015
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Taka is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2015
Jacinda marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
-- added it
Jul 08, 2015
Eric added it
Jun 23, 2015
Guernsey Zoo
Guernsey Zoo marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lee Reich, PhD is an avid farmdener (more than a gardener, less than a farmer) with graduate degrees in soil science and horticulture. After working in plant and soil research with the USDA and Cornell University, he shifted gears and turned to writing, lecturing, and consulting.

He writes regularly for a number of gardening magazines and his syndicated gardening column for Associated Press appears
More about Lee Reich...
Weedless Gardening Landscaping With Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise. Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden Grow Fruit Naturally: A Hands-On Guide to Luscious, Homegrown Fruit Northeast Gardener's Year