Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1)

Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  2,324 ratings  ·  207 reviews

Meet Suzanne Hart, owner and operator of Donut Hearts coffee shop in April Springs, North Carolina. After her divorce from Max, an out-of-work actor she’s dubbed “The Great Impersonator,” Suzanne decided to pursue her one true passion in life: donuts. So she cashed in her settlement and opened up shop in the heart of her beloved hometown.

But when a dead body is dumped o

Published March 30th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published March 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Glazed Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glazed Murder

Lisa
Almost every afternoon, my co-worker and I wander into the Rite-Aid by our office and browse the displays of candy, greeting cards, and magazines. While I was going by the literary wasteland that is Rite-Aid's book section a few days ago, Glazed Murder caught my eye. The cover advertised a story about a North Carolina donut shop owner who becomes entangled in a small town murder mystery when someone dumps a body at her door. That sounds cool, I thought, ...and kind of terrible. But that afternoo...more
Alannah Davis
Book 1 of a series about Suzanne Hart, owner of Donut Hearts in rural North Carolina. After she witnesses a dead body being dumped in front of her shop in the wee hours of the morning and discovers it was a customer of hers, she decides to investigate the murder herself. The cast of characters includes her ex-husband Max, an out-of-work actor.

The premise of this book sounded like fun. Unfortunately, it was horrendously disappointing. In fact, this book is so bad that I had to double check to mak...more
Jeanne
The first in a series, this novel certainly reads like an author’s first mystery. That is to say, it is not very good. Not very good at all.

As I read it, I kept thinking that the author had never before read an actual mystery. It was as though she read an essay about how to write a mystery and then proceeded to write her book. She covered the main elements:

• Dead body/mystery to be solved,
• Sleuth (Suzanne Hart),
• Setting (Donut shop in North Carolina), and
• Gimmick (Donut shop mystery complete...more
Diane ~Firefly~
New cozy series about a divorcee who started a donut shop in her small hometown and after a body is dropped by her back door, starts investigating why he was killed.

The book was enjoyable even if the heroine was a bit unbelievable in her reasons and passion for finding the killer. She really was aiming for TSTL status. The supporting characters were interesting, especially her best friend.

The recipes sound good, but I'm not one for frying donuts so I don't know if I will actually try any.
Celia
This was a boring mystery with a super annoying main character. She finds the dead body of a customer she doesn't know very well and she "has" to investigate it. Then she gets mad when her neighbors don't want to tell her all their secrets. I picked this up since it's set in a small town in NC and it's about doughnuts. I am 100% this author has NEVER been to NC. I figured out the mystery very early and didn't bother to finish the book. Based on other reviews, that was a good idea.
Cathy
Barely a 3 star book. It was fine, but extremely typical. And the heroine's constant excuses for why she was involving herself in something so dangerous were absurd. Every cozy mystery lead character stretches the bounds of good sense by investigating murders, but this was just silly. She barely knew the guy. Spending about 1/5 of the book on excuses was just annoying. The recipes are fun but a bit excessive as well. It was fine, but nothing special.
Kimberly
Good introduction for a new series. There were a lot of characters, but I really did enjoy meeting the main ones. The mystery was good and the setting was great. Beware it will cause you to crave doughnuts ( although that could just be me since I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant ;) and there are some really yummy sounding recipes included at the end of quite a few of the chapters.
Emma Hillman
I'm not entirely sure what I don't like about this book. I liked the recipes, of course, but there was something missing. It felt...disjointed. The dialogue didn't flow, the heroine was bordering on TSTL. I didn't feel any real connection with the hero (if you can even call him that).
Suzanne
I was very disappointed with "Glazed Murder." I had high hopes for this book, because Jessica Beck is a pen name for an Agatha Award winning author and I thought it would be a well-done culinary mystery, especially since it was endorsed by Diane Mott Davidson, one of my all-time favorite authors.

Suzanne Harts launches Donut Hearts in a small town in North Carolina, after she divorces and moves back in with her mother. Shortly after opening the donut shop, the dead body of a good friend, Patrick...more
Jenn
Culinary Cozies thinks GLAZED MURDER is a “Delicious Read.” This first book in the Donut Shop Mystery series, by Jessica Beck, offers up a sugary treat.

Donut Hearts is a cozy little donut shop nestled in a small North Carolina town. For its owner, Suzanne Hart, the little shop is all about new beginnings and a happier future - Until a body is dumped on its doorsteps.

As I’ve already mentioned, I believe there are 4 major ingredients to any culinary cozy. So let’s go ahead and break this one down...more
Yvonne
Suzanne Hart owns her own donut shop, Donut Hearts, in the small town of April Springs in North Carolina. She continues to be pursued by her ex-husband, Max, and she lives with her overly protective mother. She works crazy long hours in her donut shop, but things turn even crazier when one of her customers is tossed at her front door. Problem is – he’s very much dead!

The problem with small towns is that everyone knows everything. When people learn that the shop had been a crime scene, everyone w...more
Melissa
I was able to download this book a while back for free off of Barnes & Nobles website. It seemed way too similar to Joanne Fluke's books which I really enjoy. After reading it I really do think Jessica Beck just copied Joanne Fluke's idea for her books. Joanne Fluke published her first book of the series in 2000. Jessica Beck started publishing her series of books in 2010. There are too many similarities for this not to seem like the concept was copied. Fluke offers recipes throughout her bo...more
Erin
There were a lot of positives to this book. I (mostly) liked the main character. There are donut recipes. It's a good mystery and when I thought I had it solved, I didn't. I actually like all of the main characters in the book (mostly).

The bad: It made me want donuts. The main character does irritate me slightly. I get really tired of everyone telling the amateur sleuth how dangerous it is only to get a response of, "but I HAVE to!" No. You don't. Especially in this case, there really was no rea...more
Shan
This book was one of the worst stories I've read - ever. I'm having a hard time remembering something worse, but I'm drawing a blank. I picked it up because a friend of mine read it and it seemed like a mindless fluff that I would breeze through and get my goal back on track. Not so much. Character interactions were flat and forced, plot was nonexistent and main character's motivations for solving the murder were slim at best. Also, I figured out the killer the first time he showed up in the sto...more
Kyrie
I really wanted to give it 2 1/2 stars. The characters are kind of interesting, if deceitful. The part I never quite grasped was why Suzanne decided she had to investigate the murder less than 24 hours after it happened. She kept saying the police weren't doing anything and it would hurt her business. As nearly as I could tell, she hardly gave the police a chance to investigate. And how she gets by on 4 hours sleep a night is beyond me.
The recipes sound good. Although, I confess, I'd rather jus...more
Suzanne
I so wanted to like this book! Sadly, I just thought it was so so. I liked the small North Carolina town and there was some tantalizing descriptions about doughnut making. These were outweighed, however, by the stilted dialog that reiterated the protagonist sleuth really needed to be careful. I didn't particularly care about Suzanne Hart, nor most of the supporting characters. Suzanne's friend Grace showed a little promise. I may at some point read the next in the series to see if it is an impro...more
Dorottya Bacsi
It is kind of odd. I do love the idea of cozy mysteries, but I have only read ones where I was not a fan of the execution.

Glazed Murder is no exception... which is a pity, as I love donuts and I liked the cover. But.

I did not see any justification for Suzanne to start her own investigation... only her being scared, but then, I hated how she kept emphasising that the police did not do enough, when it was only one or two days after the murder, and she should have known that they are working, just...more
Fanficfan44
Glazed Murder was a total impulse by for me. I have a confession, I have always avoided this series because I have a pretty big aversion to donuts. I worked for a nation wide donut chain that will not be named in college, back in…1984, and I think that I can count the number of donuts I have eaten since then on one hand.

Anyway I picked it up and read it last night and was really surprised, I will admit i flipped quickly past the donut recipes, which were plentiful, so anyone who does want to mak...more
Natalya
Feb 15, 2011 Natalya rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Natalya by: Glenna Sheets
Writing was okay nothing fantastic but few glaring mistakes.The plot was predictable. Characters were rather wooden.And the villian did the usual "I'm going to kill you anyway so I might as well monologue" trip.
The protagonist refuses to forgive her ex-husband. She also has little love for the truth since she lies constantly.There is no mention of God when her life is in danger(please, 90% of people are praying when their lives are at stake)So I obviously didn't think much of Glazed Murder
Yvette (hooked on the nook)
This book was a little slow to start but did pick up in the middle. I thought I would give this a try since I am such a big fan of the Stephanie Plum series. I thoroughly enjoyed the main female character and her wacky donut world. The author did a great job with keeping the mystery of who done it a secret to the end. I just could not figure it out and that kept me reading. BRAVO!! Fun read and highly recommended.
Diane
I don't think I will be following this series. The recipe idea wsa interesting, but the characters were a little flat. And the author seemed to really, really want readers to know that the character likes owning a donut shop because it was stated repeatedly throughout the book. I picked the book up, so clearly I thought the idea of a donut shop owner was fine for a main character...
Min
None of the characters rang true. The situations were not realistic. I couldn't take it any longer and skipped to the end just to be done with it already. I am not continuing with this series.
Christopher
Don't laugh at me. I'm trapped on the Great Barrier Island until the weather clears and it was $2 on my iPad.
Katie

I enjoyed the book for the most part. I did find it a bit odd that both the police chief and the state detective both allowed the main character to continue to put her nose into police work and interfere with both of their investigations. In fact the state detective laughed about it at times.
Other than that, it was a nice quick read. It was a fun theme being centered around a donut shop and the recipes that were talked about/eaten in the story were included which was a nice touch. It's nice to...more
Jessi
so cute and cozy! exactly what i needed. not too scary or dark
Alyssa White
This book was calling me! I am addicted to the series now!
Phrynne
Two stars because this book is probably okay if you like that kind of thing. It has reminded me why I don't read cozy mysteries (too twee) or books with recipes in them (if I need recipes I go to a recipe book). To be honest this book was poorly written with a very weak plot line, insignificant characters and too many pages dedicated to doughnut recipes. Does anyone actually make doughnuts themselves? Oh and I forgot to mention the awful dialogue. I should probably go back and change that to one...more
Jo Anne B
This was the second book I read in the Donut Series after having read the 7th one. It did help to put some characters in perspective and give them some background so I should have started reading this series in order. I actually liked this one better. It was another fun, enjoyable read. I like Suzanne even more now since I have her back story. She was a married artist whose husband Max cheated on her so she got a divorce and reinvented herself. Obviously, this story line has been done a million...more
Michelle
This is the first in the Donut Shop cozy mystery series. Suzanne Hart is recently divorced from her aspiring actor husband, and has invested all of her settlement into a doughnut shop. She has made it into a cozy environment and is experimenting with new recipes to increase her clientele. One early morning, she is making doughnuts, when a disturbance outside leaves a body in front of her shop, and it is one of her regular customers and a friend. Along with the retired police chief and her friend...more
Heather Pearson
Jan 11, 2011 Heather Pearson rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Michelle
Recommended to Heather by: Meagan
Shelves: mystery, cosy-mystery
After her divorce from Max, Suzanne Hart buys a donut shop and renames it Donut Heart. All is going well and she is developing a loyal core of customers, when early one morning she watches as a body is dumped in front of her shop. It's one of those loyal customers and she is left wondering if she will be the next victim.

Suzanne is determined to find out who killed her friend, before the killer finds her.

This was a fun holiday read. One thing I have never made is a donut. I admit to being kind of...more
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • Candy Apple Dead (A Candy Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Sprinkle with Murder (A Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Cooking Up Murder (A Cooking Class Mystery, #1)
  • A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • One Bad Apple (Orchard, #1)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery #1)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery #1)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • The Diva Runs Out of Thyme (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
Jessica Beck is a pseudonym used by
Tim Myers.
Jessica Beck is the penname of an author who has been nominated for the Agatha Award and named an Independent Mystery Booksellers Association national bestseller nearly a dozen times.

Jessica Beck loves donuts, and has the figure to prove it. It's amazing what people can convince themselves is all in the name of research! For each recipe featured in the...more
More about Jessica Beck...
Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery #2) Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery #3) Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5) Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4) Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)