Start by marking “And The Angels Were Silent” as Want to Read:
And The Angels Were Silent

And The Angels Were Silent

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,382 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
In And the Angels Were Silent, one of Max Lucado's most insightful and moving audiobooks ever, he'll lead you from Friday's defeat to Sunday's victory. Like never before, believers and seekers alike will see Christ's passion, sense His power, and hear His promise.
Published February 29th 2000 by Nelson, Thomas, Inc. (first published August 1st 1992)

Dale
Apr 17, 2012 Dale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
This was the book my sister read at the age of 21, the week before she was killed by a drunk driver. This book changed her life....because she gave her life to God that week! Thank You Max Lucado!
Sonia
May 06, 2014 Sonia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I am really enjoying this book, especially during the week as Easter approaches. Max Lucado has a very sincere, engaging, non-preachy style of writing that I have always enjoyed. I have read many of his children's stories to my own children and we enjoy them immensely. Although his religious affiliation is Church of Christ and I am a Latter-Day Saint,aka Mormon, our core beliefs line up rather nicely. He always gives me a fresh perspective to look at and throws in some interesting anecdotes such ...more
Edwina Hall Callan
This book gave me the blessing of understanding 3 things that I've never understood before.
I am so thankful for that!
I highly recommend this book to any Christian out there who, like me, believe the Bible and accept it as truth but every once in a while think ... yeah, ok, but Why ... Why did He say that and what exactly did He mean.
I can not wait to share this book with a bunch of my friends!
Jerry
Mar 27, 2016 Jerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've really been enjoying Max Lucado's books recently...including this one!
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
As usual, Lucado sneaks up on the reader with simple observations that hit deep and shine fresh light on old scriptures.

One thing that provoked a discussion in our house is that there is no chapter or section for Saturday the day after the crucifixion. We joked that nothing happened that day. However, the study guide at the end of the book points to Ephesians 4:8-10:

"When He ascended on high, He led captive a host of captives, and He gave gifts to men." (Now this expression, "He ascended," what
Vicky
Apr 01, 2013 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this walk through what Jesus did his last week.
Heather N
I have mixed feelings about this book and just can't decide whether I like it or not overall. I have nothing against the content of the book; solid and enlightening stuff with touching stories and it effectively made me full-on, genuinely cry a few times. (Bonus points for that!) Having said that, I just couldn't quite engage with his writing style very well. This is the first book of Lucado's that I've read, and I understand that his conversational style is partly what makes his books so popula ...more
Cindy
I always try to read at least one inspirational book during Lent, and Max Lucado is one of my favorites. He has a way of writing that makes you feel as if you had sat down with him for a personal, one-on-one discussion about matters of the heart. His writing does not come off as 'preachy' yet he inspires you to discover more about Jesus. This book discusses the final week before His Crucifixion. We see His entry into Jerusalem, His anger and frustration with the moneychangers at the temple, His ...more
Amber
Apr 22, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucado is definitely my go-to man when I want to spend some creative, reflective time with the Bible. I've always enjoyed the way he spins together Biblical stories and personal or reiterated anecdotes, and pairs them with questions that evoke the reader's own stories. I originally got this book three or four Easters ago, and on this re-read after this Easter was again struck by just how poignant the reflections are- I still came to tears several times. Which is not to say I always see eye-to-ey ...more
Crystal
Mar 28, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking!
It is different than I expected considering the title.
What it's about, using the author's words: "'So what should I do with Jesus?' Pilate asked first, but we've all asked it since.
Small wonder Pilate was puzzled. How do you explain such a man?
One way is to take a walk. His walk. His final walk.
From Jericho to Jerusalem. From the temple to the garden. From the garden to the trial. From Pilate's palace to the cross. We have watched Him walk - angrily into the temple, wearily into
Edna
Mar 23, 2014 Edna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author has a friendly and sensible narrative writing style.
The chapters are easy to understand and can be a helpful tool in understanding a different point of view my others.
I am reminded of my earlier reading of this book, and I am renewed by the small details he continues in his writing.
I think this is an appropriate book for this season of spring.
I think of my books as true friends, but I do not want to forget them.
Antonio Orozco
Apr 04, 2016 Antonio Orozco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Más de 12 años en mi librero. Cada año lo intentaba leer en temporada de Semana Santa y hoy como que lo logré. Un buen libro, no es histórico, no es de teología, pero de que aporta aporta. El estilo de Max Lucado siempre me ha gustado, más la forma de escribir tan coloquialmente. Algunos capítulos me supieron más como relleno pero los que traen la médula están interesantes. Al final si te deja pensando...
Cookie Knoll
Jun 23, 2015 Cookie Knoll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book from my small group Bible Study. I had read it before years ago. Finished this one about a year after our group started it. We only meet once a month. Now reading "Facing Your Giants."
Barbara Duff perez
This book captivated my attention from the first page. I read it while walking, stayed up late and awoke early to dive back in. My walk with Christ is still in its early stages and I see how far I have come already and long for the days to come. This is the first book I read by Max Lucado and I will surely read more. I've already purchased a few and can't wait to read them. I have ready many Christian books, but not one time have the words seemed as though they were written for me and jumped off ...more
Sandra
Apr 09, 2015 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I've really enjoyed this book through he Holy Week so much.
A very recommended one specially in the Holy Week.
Diana Maslowski
Mar 30, 2016 Diana Maslowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeper insights into the last week of Christs earthly life before Easter
Cathy Klingler
Much as I enjoyed reading Max Lucado's book, I equally enjoyed the Reader's Guide and the thought-provoking questions following the text.
Margaret Roberts

Follow the steps Jesus takes in His final week, leading to the Cross.
Lucado reminds us of what Jesus has said, what He has done and what He will do. Overall, this book is impactful.
Dj Wells
Jul 24, 2012 Dj Wells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ron Mitchell, Broderick Jayroe
A walk through the last week of Jesus life on earth...from riding into Jerusalem on a donkey and the crowds lauding Him, to the overturning of the temple money changer's tables, to the betrayal of one of His closest friends, and the garden and trial. Containing the works that occured during the week...the cursing of the fig tree. The pressure Christ must have felt as he neared the end and finally on the cross, the angels were silent...and He could have called on them to save Him.
John
Jan 01, 2010 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Max Lucado walks you through Christ's last week on earth. Flavored with stories from Lucado's life, the star of the show is Christ as He takes the final journey into Jerusalem and to the cross to redeem mankind. Even though it is more of the type of book that would be VERY meaningful during LENT, there is something to be said about reading a LENTEN story as one truly realizes why Christmas and Advent are important.
Allen Lim
Hmmm... I bought this years ago and decided to reread it... quite honestly I didn't remember a single bit of what I read before. Anyway, I didn't find this partcularly good... there were some good stories, but in general most of them tended a bit to sentimentality, and felt a bit draggy (which is bad consideringeach chapter was 5-6 pages)... So yeah 3/5 stars... not great, not bad, so-so.
Emily
Apr 01, 2008 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: seekers
Recommended to Emily by: kee p.
i like max lucado in person more than in print, although this book did have its points of poignancy and insight when discussing the last week before jesus went to the cross. apparently his literary device of choice is the allusion/anedote, and he sometimes tells so many stories, you wonder how exactly they're related back to the central message of the book... but all in all, interesting.
Nikki
Aug 08, 2015 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing book by Max Lucado. I absolutely love reading his books. They are so inspirational and speak the truths about God and His word. I always feel at peace and close to God when I'm reading his books. I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone and everyone to read and learn more about God.
Fernanda La Salye
Com muita sensibilidade, este livro vai ajudá-lo a entender os últimos dias de Cristo na Terra. Você vai perceber como aquela semana foi especial em cada palavra, gesto e evento. Jesus caminhava firme para o seu principal objetivo: a morte. Uma vida singular. Uma morte sem igual. Um propósito eterno.
Mar 31, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book to read during Lent: it chronicled the last week of Jesus, asking the question "What does a person do in their last days, knowing those are the last days?" Very easy, very quick to read, and it made me think a lot about what Jesus did those days, and what it matters to me now.
Leslie
Oct 03, 2011 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leslie by: Ms Bobbie at Bookbarn in Baytown
Shelves: spiritual
So this is sort of like an expanded version of the one I read yesterday. I'm so tired, the title escapes me. They are different enough to justify reading both. Very beautifully written examination of the last week of Christ.
Melissa
Mar 21, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made me think about the last week of Christ in a different way. Some of the details I had never considered before. Really glad I read it and would like to own it and refer to it at times.
Jana
Apr 01, 2010 Jana is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
As we approach Easter, the celebration of Christ's resurrection - I thought I would read about the final week of Jesus life here on earth. I'll let you know ...
Iryna
May 01, 2016 Iryna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like in this book Mr. Lucado was focused more on the writing, which is beautiful, than on the content. Therefore it took me so long to push through it.
Terry Morgan
May 23, 2012 Terry Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max once again outdid himself. Love this man's writing. He has such a artistic way of writing, as if he is painting pictures with his words.
Everyday Faithwalk: And the Angels Were Silent 1 4 Jan 17, 2014 03:54AM
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World
  • Improving Your Serve
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • Descending Into Greatness
  • The Bible Promise Book - KJV
  • When God Doesn't Make Sense
  • Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions from the Writings of Brennan Manning
  • Love Not the World
  • Living Beyond the Limits: A Life in Sync with God
  • Do You Think I'm Beautiful?
  • Fields Of Gold
  • God's Guidance: A Slow and Certain Light
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...

“The cross, the zenith of history. All of the past pointed to it, and all of the future would depend upon it. It’s the great triumph of heaven: God is on the earth. And it is the great tragedy of earth: man has rejected God.” 2 likes
“The right heart with the wrong ritual is better than the wrong heart with the right ritual. Some” 0 likes