Start by marking “The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems” as Want to Read:
The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems

The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems

Mindfulness offers a path to well-being and tools for coping with life's inevitable hurdles. And though mindfulness may sound exotic, you can cultivate it--and reap its proven benefits--without special training or lots of spare time. Trusted therapist and mindfulness expert Dr. Ronald Siegel shows exactly how in this inviting guide. You'll get effective strategies to use w ...more
Published November 8th 2009 by The Guilford Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mindfulness Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mindfulness Solution

The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathDarkness Visible by William StyronThe Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey EugenidesThe Noonday Demon by Andrew SolomonProzac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel
Books Worth Reading on Depression
184th out of 214 books — 332 voters
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale CarnegieMake It Happen, A Healthy, Competitive Approach to Achieving ... by Lorii MyersThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyTargeting Success, Develop the Right Business Attitude to be ... by Lorii MyersExcuses Begone! How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinki... by Wayne W. Dyer
Best Books on Burnout
21st out of 23 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Sep 04, 2015 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thorough book about mindfulness and its applications to a variety of everyday issues. Ronald Siegel strikes a great balance between explaining core concepts, offering different exercises, and discussing how to apply mindfulness to topics ranging from aging to relationships to chronic pain. His tone shows his knowledge of the subject while remaining casual and easy to comprehend.

I would recommend this book to those who want to get their feet wet with mindfulness. Siegel reveals several ways to
Jun 16, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Just starting this. I wouldn't have made a point to secure this book or to take on yet another focus in my life, but fortunately, my husband left it on the coffee table and after scanning just a few pages, it became clear it is the book for me right now. After a decade of rarely paying attention to sitting practice, this book is helping me get back into it. It was also interesting to read about the studies that have come out since my last serious efforts, of the positive effects of meditation an ...more
Drew Drew
Sep 16, 2010 Drew Drew rated it it was amazing
Don't have time for the Full Catastrophe Living book by Kabat-Zinn?

This is a great place to start your mindfulness journey.

Easy read with some humor. "What we resist, persists!"

May 27, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-growth
The Mindfulness Solution, by Ronald Siegel, is a well-written, practical guide to the application of mindfulness to everyday problems. He defines mindfulness as "the awareness of present experience with acceptance." He describes a variety of mindfulness-building techniques, such as breath awareness, body scan, eating meditation, walking meditation, and the loving-kindness meditation as basic practices. Then, he discusses how these and other specific problem-oriented practices can contribute to i ...more
Apr 28, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book for helping me unwind my inner crazy. Simple practices that are easy to follow, and the writing isn't preachy in any way - it is just everyday practices for everyday problems. I would recommend if you're at all interested in mindfulness but don't know where to get started, this book provides a really good foundation.
Mar 25, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
This was a great help for me and my family to cope with the stresses of mental illness.
Feb 18, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Clear practical advice on mindfulness and the ways it can change your mind and life.
Jan 19, 2012 Rosdiana rated it really liked it
A good guide for those of us searching for inner joy and meaning in living.
Mohamed Al Sayyah
Mar 24, 2015 Mohamed Al Sayyah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-spirit
هذا النوع من الكتب يجب أن يدخل في مناهج التعليم في المدارس
Mar 18, 2011 JayeL added it
Shelves: 2011
I first heard about this book on an episode of Creative Mojo with Mark Lipinski (). I was in the middle of reading The Distant Hours by Kate Morton when this book came in from the Library. I didn't want to rush through The Distant Hours so The Mindfulness Solution languished a bit while I enjoyed The Distant Hours. As luck would have it, before I got very far, the books was recalled to the Library! So many books, so little time!

Still, I found a few tidbits that I can think about, which I think w
There was some good stuff in there. But....
a) the author was really long winded
b) I thought the endless parade of examples was overdone. A few were insightful but it could have been trimmed down
c) too much to absorb/do, not realistic. Pretty common with self help books but they usually provide tips on doing it. But this book was like - you have to do XYZ now. It can overwhelming to try to accmoplish toomuch and the author seems to forget this.
Apr 18, 2015 Payvand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing text, with both the wisdom of an Eastern guru and the scrutiny of a Western scientist.
It is a self-help book, yet at the same time, much more than that. Each time you read it (provided that you try the practices it offers), you'll experience a whole new level of being. It can dramatically change "you" and the way you face your problems, and suggests a way which is hopefully an end to psychological suffering.
Mar 17, 2016 Ginny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is an excellent manual for using mindfulness for a variety of reasons. It goes into great detail and describes clearly how to approach various difficulties in life. I got it for my anxiety but found it useful for other areas as well. I recommend it to anyone and everyone
Ken Miller
Nov 10, 2015 Ken Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful, hands-on guide to mindfulness practices designed to ease anxiety and depression. I used this in the class I taught on "mindfulness and mental health" at Lesley University and is was very well liked by students.
Apr 24, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read many books on Mindfulness, and this one covers it all in clear (and witty) prose. And the downloadable meditations are a great bonus! If I was teaching a Mindfulness course, this would be my textbook. A solid place to start for anyone interested.
Mar 05, 2016 Emilie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemplation
I read this book alongside Mark Williams and Danny Penman's Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World and it's helped me understand some details and aspects that weren't covered in the other book, at least not at the point where I am in the program. There's also a lot more exercises and ideas to explore, which I will do after I complete Williams' plan. I like the detailed way Siegel addresses issues, as well as his tone. This book should probably become one of my refer ...more
Aug 27, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ron had excellent, practical skills in here. He's an interesting speaker in real life as well. One of the more practical mindfulness skills book I'd recommend.
Mark Hiser
Jul 30, 2015 Mark Hiser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of the book gives an overview of mindfulness meditation while the second half focuses on how meditation can be helpful in dealing with concerns such as anxiety, depression, pain and so forth. The book is probably better for people who want a "Wester" understanding and approach to mindful practice.
Paul Damian
Oct 08, 2015 Paul Damian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my discover of mindful being...
Sep 02, 2015 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-spirit
This is an excellent resource-type book that one might want to return to again and again. Ron Siegel is both a teacher and practitioner of mindfulness concepts and exercises. This is filled with very careful and specific information with many examples of when and how to use it. All information is presented in a friendly and useful way. Would be great for someone just trying to find out what mindfulness and meditation is all about, and also for someone looking for a new idea for practicing it.
Sarah Hummel
Siegel gives an easy-to understand overview of mindfulness/meditation practice and its psychological benefits. Outlines how it is counterintuitive when dealing with emotion but highly effective. Many sample meditations for common everyday issues: sadness/depression, anxiety, problematic behaviors etc. Use as grounding exercise for clients trapped in particular pattenrs.
Ricardo Viana Vargas
Mar 02, 2013 Ricardo Viana Vargas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-life
Complete book about Mindfullness. Very well written and didactic, it is a pillow book to manage stress and life challenges.

Livro completo sobre o processo de meditação Mindfullness. Muito bem escrito e bastante didático, é um livro de cabeceira para gerenciar o estresse e os desafios da vida.
Aydin Habibi
Dec 25, 2011 Aydin Habibi rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed reading this in-depth book for mindfulness. I liked the practices given here although sometimes I felt that I'm not in a mood/place to do the practice and it comes in my way.
This book was my introduction to "mindfulness" and just opened the path for being more mindful in day-to-day life.
The last chapter summarized well why mindfulness can help us live the life to its full. I do need to be often reminded of being mindful of what I am doing and thinking. This is one of my resolutions for 2016 and the reason to read this book. I probably will read more books on mindfulness.
Richard Cytowic
Ron published an important book in the late 70s about hallucinations, both natural and drug induced. This is a mature take on detachment and mindfulness.
Justin Pote
Mar 24, 2012 Justin Pote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good read. I realized that there is a need for this in my life and in society, as well. It is a book that I will refer back to in the future.
Jan 07, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Currently reading this and very much enjoying it so far. It provides practical, useful mindfulness methods that anyone can understand and practice.
Tc Hartsock
Feb 06, 2013 Tc Hartsock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I can't easily find my way back and forth with the kindle edition....EXCELLENT book!!
Jeff Mohr
May 13, 2013 Jeff Mohr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone looking to get into meditation or back into (like me) this is a great book with practical application.
Feb 16, 2013 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mindfulness is meditation of being in the moment, while in the moment.
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food
  • The Mindful Way Through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Present Perfect: A Mindfulness Approach to Letting Go of Perfectionism and the Need for Control
  • Fully Present: The Science, Art, and Practice of Mindfulness
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • The Mindful Therapist: A Clinician's Guide to Mindsight and Neural Integration
  • Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Mindfulness Meditation
  • The Compassionate Mind
  • Getting Unstuck: Breaking Your Habitual Patterns & Encountering Naked Reality
  • The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • Against the Stream: A Buddhist Manual for Spiritual Revolutionaries
  • Zen Heart: Simple Advice for Living with Mindfulness and Compassion
  • The Blooming of a Lotus: Guided Meditations for Achieving the Miracle of Mindfulness

“Luckily, we humans evolved not only mental habits that lead us into emotional difficulty but also faculties through which we can free ourselves from them. The same skills we have used for millennia to understand and thrive in our environment can help us understand how our minds create unnecessary suffering and how to free ourselves from it.” 0 likes
“Mindfulness can help us embrace, rather than resist, the inevitable ups and downs of life and equip us to handle our human predicament.” 0 likes