New Moan: The First Book in the Twishite Saga: A Parody (Twishite Saga, #1)

New Moan: The First Book in the Twishite Saga: A Parody (Twishite Saga #1)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  748 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Plenty ofoverwrought prose and melodramatic angst mark this fang-sharp parody ofnumber-one New York Times–bestseller New Moon

"I want to bite you, Heffa. I want to bite you very hard. I'll be gentle, I promise. If you really loved me, you'd let me."

Heffa Lump is just a typical pale 17-year-old who doubts that anyone will ever see her true beauty and needs to grow up and get...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Michael O'Mara (first published October 22nd 2009)

Melanie
I've always loved Parody's whether they be films or books and this book was no exception.
From the first pages I was laughing, sometimes with tears in my eyes! The book follows the story of Heffa Lump whom is so self centered you can't but help note her reactions in the early book to those of Bella in Twilight but for totally different reasons. Teddy was so naive and I loved the 'special' part about vampires not being able to go out in the sunlight and the reason behind it (I shall not add the sp...more
Emily
I liked Twilight for a while in 2008 before i realised truly how awful it is. And now i am quite the Twilight hater. Ok, not so much hater but the extent to which it is obsessed over angers me to the core. The series does not deserve the praise and attention it recieves and Meyer is definitely overrated. So, i bought this book mainly for a laugh and to read someone else's perspective on how utterly ridiculous the whole idea actually is. And, this made me laugh quite a lot. I loved that the write...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Reviewing as I read...

Right from the beginning it rips into Twilight with delightful abandon but it does a good job of pointing out the many flaws in Meyer's writing.

Heffa (aka Bella) is vulger, self-obsessed and I'd like to kill her even more than the original character. Oh and the vamps eat raw meat, weird but some of the character names are apt e.g. Wanda Mensional.

Warning: To be digested in small amounts. I'll probably read a little bit everyday until I finish. It's that full-on.
Georgina
This caught my eye on the returns shelf at the library so I grabbed it thinking I'd read it if I had nothing else on the go. After extending it twice I picked it up and read the first page...

...and kept reading.

This book is outstanding!

Be warned, however, if you love the Twilight Saga, don't do it to yourself - it's like bungy jumping without the rope - you know what the outcome will be and it won't be pretty.

Similarly, if you hate everything Twilight going on the hype alone and haven't actually...more
Jen Roberts
Okay, so yes, this book is completely ridiculous and merely written to take the p**s out of The Twilight Saga, which if you closely read is actually just as cheesy, and no, there is no purpose this book serves but to make you laugh, and I think that people completely underrate that. It is actually a very funny book, a good bit of light reading, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to anyone who just wants to sit down and have a little giggle at a silly book.
Becky
This was an awful book. It was cheesy, unoriginal, and not funny. I feel the sole purpose was to make fun of twilight, but not in a good hearted way, but a way to just be a jerk and make fun of something people like. If you are a twilight fan then i would not recommend reading this novel at all. If you hate twilight, like REALLY can't stand it, then you might like it a little more than me, but it was badly written.
Susan
You have to be in the right state of mind to enjoy this book, and it may make a LOT of Twilight readers really mad, but if you have a sense of humor, you can see the funny side of it.
Packed with inuendos, double entendres, stupid names, it makes fun of the nature of Twilight Saga characters. All the names of characters seem to be plays on words...such as Wanda Mentional and Joe Cohontas. The book highlights characteristics, like Bella's selflessness, and Edward's perceived perfection, and in som...more
Bethan
Sille
I got this book as a birthday present. In general, I seriously dislike parodies of any type. There's no point in showing me the latest remake of someone's song with stupid lyrics or even stupider video, another 'The Best' parody of Harry Potter or in this case... Twilight. I don't know what I dislike about this concept. Maybe I just find laughing over something cruel or maybe the parodies I have seen haven't been too good.

This book started out pretty fine - I found myself even sort of enjoying i...more
Cheese
In gist, this book is like a concentrated dose of Scary Movie 1-5. Spoof MAX. Funny/amusing in the beginning but becomes dull as the story continues. Not recommended to be read in 1 sitting. For the long review, read on.

Well, this book is a tricky one. If you somewhat like Twilight or is a fan, I would suggest you stay away. The book already says Twishite on its cover. However, if you are a Twilight hater because of the movie, the acting, someone who wouldn't even go near the books after watchi...more
Charlotte M.
I must say that this book was better than the Twilight series, and I read it because anything making fun of Twilight is usually humorous. But I could've done without the sexual references on every page. The second half of the book up until the last 50 or so pages is probably the best, because the author got tired or ran out of ideas on sexual references he could add in. I read this book while I was in school, and the constant sexual references made me check over my shoulder to make sure no one w...more
Courtney
More reviews at Rondo of a Possible World: YA Book Reviews

I'm sorry this book just didn't keep my interested. The only reason I didn't dump it off was because I always finish a book when i start it and this one, half the time I just wanted it to end already. The beginning was funny I'll give it that but towards the middle I just hated the narration, the stupidity, the over-obsessiveness and just everything the book had to offer.

Yes, if I was more in tune with it, i'd have laughed on every pag...more
I love the Twilight Saga and I love this parody. I mean, Twilight was really successful in the last years. I read all books, watched all movies and read every newspaper articles about this saga. I am a Twihard. And than came this book out and I thought "Okay. Let's buy this and look how it is". This is the best parody I've ever read. I've never laugh so much about a book. Love it!
Kristi Lynn
I was really excited to get this book and to read it. I loved the Twilight books, but as anyone who does, can admit, there are some things you could joke about (although I still do love those books). I had read some reviews on other sites about this book and they said it was hilarious. Great, I could use a chuckle.

Two chapters in, I am SO bored. The main character is a pretentious snot. Not even a funny pretentious snot. Just down right rude and, well, ridiculous. I just could not read anymore....more
Talyn
Apr 14, 2012 Talyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Twilight haters, parody fans
I don't care what anyone says: I LOVE this book. Sometimes people make parodies go the wrong way and they either end up being unfunny or worse than the original, but to me this hit EVERYTHING dead on with a nail gun at 100 feet.

The Mary-Sueness of 'Bella', the weird thing that the doctor keeps biting people, the fact that 'Bella' keeps trying to pressure 'Edward' into sex, the fact that she's so 'woe-is-me-no-one-likes-me when in reality everyone wants to hang around her... Everything was captur...more
Marcia
I've never read a parody before, so I didn't know exactly what to expect. But I thought this book would made me laugh a lot. Unfortunately it didn't..

I'm not a twilight-hater nor a huge fan, so that's not the reason why I didn't enjoy New Moan. I thought this parody was way over the top and with too many sexual references.
A few comments on Stephenie Meyer's writing style made me laugh a little, but I really can't give this book more than one star. I don't think I will ever pick up this book aga...more
Lisa
I loved the Twilight books, so I was no really sure why I selected this book from the shops, being a parody on Twilight. I was hooked from the first reference to "Spatula" and found myself laughing out loud and disturbing my resting husband. I had read many reviews of this book which were not positive, and am glad to say that I did enjoy this book, thoroughly. It pointed out many flaws that I missed in the Twilight series, though I only missed them as I was so engrossed! Stephordy Mayo, I hope t...more
Nikki
Now I've never read the twilight novels although I have read the first graphic novel & that was painful frankly. So when I saw this I had to pick it up, a quite funny read, the characters were amusingly over the top & brutally honest in personality unlike the orignals. There's some amusing takes on pop culture & some funny fourth wall breaking. It has it's flaws but it's enjoyably cheesy & a must have for any twilight haters, this is not a nice parody for the fans. Funny stuff.
Sally
It made me laugh occasionally, but it was boring in parts (possibly more so than twilight its self). I also found myself being annoyed at its lack of character accuracy. There were zombies. Why were there zombies? The author didn't even poke fun and make them into a twilight-type monster, with a good fashion sense and being unable to stomach brains. I suppose I'm a bigger twilight fan than I realised. I'll try again with 'Twilite: A Parody'; it seems a lot more promising.
Gemma
I read the first chapter of this in Waterstones and laughed a lot! As a lover of Twilight, I guess I shouldn't have enjoyed this how I did - but it was hilarious!
I loved how the author points out really ridiculous things about the books that you don't really notice - like how when Bella goes to live with Charlie, she does ALL the cooking - whatever did he do before?? - she finds him eating his own belt! Very silly, but very very funny!
Kyla
A wacky, good time. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but then again, why should it? More crude humor than subtlety, but there is some of that too.I laughed out loud a few times and suppressed more than a few snickers. I'd recommend it to those who read the books just to make fun of those nutty twi-hards and those of us with a good sense of humor who still harbor a secret love of twilight (but still admit that Bella needed to get a life)
Nelly
I bought this book from a secondhand shop more as a joke, just to check if the author had managed to point out exactly how awful Twilight is. He (or she?) indeed managed to do so, however this fact doesn't make New Moan any better. I still never finished it but I do appreciate the efforts. And it's definitely a better love story that Twilight.
Verdict?
As a parody of a shit book: 10
As a book itself: 0. Even below, if possible.
Nola
Jul 18, 2011 Nola rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people who don't like twilight
This wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly good. I thought the idea of the reshuffle was pretty cool(without the New Moan!) and I liked the different pop culture references. The book wasn't as funny as I'd hoped. There are some funny parts but not enough to keep the story really interesting. This book does successfully mock 'Twilight' but that's also what's wrong with it - Heffa is just as annoying as Bella and doesn't die at the end!
Fluffychick
I indulged myself and read all the Twilight series last Christmas and although I loved them (despite being sooo not the target audience!) it was a bit of a guilty pleasure...so I thought this would be a bit of fun. It started off well and I did snigger in quite a few places where it trashed the self-indulgent Heffa, but overall the joke wore thin very quickly and I got bored before I was halfway through.
Sonja
In my opinion the Twilight movies really don't need all these parodies. They're a parody on itself.
The book (New Moan) was alright. It definitely had funny moments. And of course I loved the way the author made fun of Bella / Heffa. She's such a shitty, self-absorbed character (Bella).
The overall idea of the Twilight saga could've been good. But by the way it turned out, it just begged to be made fun of ;-)
Rochelle
2.5 out of 5.

There were some funny bits, even some LOL funny bits, but not that many.
I could only read this book in small bits at a time because Heffa Lump was just so over the top annoying that i couldn't take her in big doses.
I think Stephfordy Mayo could have done better word play on the characters names rather than the names they chose.
Wasn't what I expected and sadly it just wasn't for me.

Adam Laur
Exactly the kind of book that appeals to my sense of humor. Superb satire of a series I detest. In every chapter there are moments where you have to put the book down and laugh out loud as you savor some snappy quip or barb. Highly recommended holiday reading for anyone who thinks the Twilight series actually represents good writing, or those like me who hate Twilight and are looking for a good laugh.
Emma
It had its moments definitely, but it was pretty dumb. Though so is Twilight, so not that surprising. I loved the interpretation of Bella's self-obsessed character along with the narration pointing out all of the convenient plot holes in the real books. Many of them were things that had bothered me as well. It's not a bad read if you have read the books or seen the movies but are not really a fan.
Amber
I love books that take the mickey out of existing books and after reading the Twilight Saga I found this book. I began reading it and couldn't really get into however I persevered and I found it hilarious. It was so random and crazy that you have to laugh at it. I've heard that there is a sequel to New Moan but I'm not to bothered if I don't read it.
Overall a good laugh after reading Twilight
Lindsay
I wanted to like this book. Really, I tried to like this book. Something poking fun at Twilight? Perfect. Every time I picked this book up, I was bored to death. About halfway through, it was much more of a chore to read this book than pleasure. While there were some amusing pieces, I can't really give more than 1 star to a book that I found myself wishing I was finished reading.
  • Twilite: A Parody
  • The Hunger But Mainly Death Games: A Parody
  • The Psychology of Twilight
  • The Twilight Companion: The Unauthorized Guide to the Series
  • Twilight and History
  • Nightlight: A Parody
  • A New Dawn: Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series
  • London, 1850 (Vampire Plagues, #1)
  • Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody (Barry Trotter, #1)
  • Bónd(z)
  • Hot Mail
  • Twilight and Philosophy: Vampires, Vegetarians, and the Pursuit of Immortality (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
  • The Smart One
  • Great Lies to Tell Small Kids
  • A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
  • Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook
  • Singing Songs
Breaking Yawn: The Second Book in the Twishite Saga: A Parody (Twishite Saga, #2) Biss zum Abwinken:  Eine blutleere Parodie Breaking Yawn (Twishite Saga)