Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)

Falling Under (Falling Under #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  12,985 ratings  ·  1,218 reviews
Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows...more
Published March 1st 2011 by New American Library

To ask other readers questions about Falling Under, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Under

Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
6th out of 637 books — 4,231 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Novels of 2011
35th out of 1,275 books — 6,759 voters

More lists with this book...

Vinaya
Multiple Choice Quiz for Teenage Girls:

1) Would you rather be:

A)

B)

2) There's a hot new boy in school, but he seems to be something of an asshat, always blowing you off and parading other women in front of you. Would you:

A)

B)

3) You're having strange dreams where said hot boy appears and acts mysterious and tortured, telling you that you can never be togetherrrrr! You think hot boy is something supernatural. Would you:

A) [image error]

B) [image error]

4) A demon wants to steal your soul....more
Jessica
Favorite quote: Theia to Haden whilst alone in her bedroom: "Do you know I have never seen a penis?"

ROFL XD Way to go girl, way to go...

If I had to pick a serious quote as my favorite it would probably be this one, though:

"This isn't a crush; it's obsession. You are never not in my thoughts. Your scent carries across a room and paralyzes me with longing. I don't want to hold your hand. Part of me wants to set you on fire and hold you while the flame consumes us both, to eat your heart so I kno...more
Sabrina
I have to admit: sometimes (often) I pick up books just because I like the cover art. This one in particular reminded me of American Beauty , so I couldn't resist.

ALERT: this is going to be bitchy.

I threw this book before even finishing the first chapter.
Why?
Because I've already cringed my teeth four times in the first three pages. And that's too much.

I'm going to show you what I mean.

The protagonist is on the bed, reading from her iPhone. And she speaks about her love for books:
Every night I we
Wendy Darling
I have wildly mixed feelings about this book, which is loosely based on the myth of Persephone. I'm not sure I can write a coherent review because I'm so conflicted, so here goes the pros and cons list.

For the first two thirds of the book:

* I was pretty annoyed with the main character Theia. Stop falling in love with boys just because they're kinda cute, girls!
* I really, really disliked Haden. Manipulative, bad-tempered, controlling, stalker-ish guys who try to make girls jealous, especially w...more
Isamlq
Dear YA,

1. Please don’t let this be another book on star crossed lovers whose relationship is doomed from the beginning because one is in danger of being killed by the other.
2. Please, please, please no more love triangles!
3. Please make the heroine a heroine by which, I mean a thinking, independent, strong-willed and self-aware young woman… who could be construed as a positive role model for your target audience. And let the male lead be more than just her love interest. Let him have a more int
Sandy
I was so excited to read Falling Under after I won a copy on Goodreads First Reads. The concept of meeting a mysterious, "devastatingly handsome" guy from your dreams sounded captivating, but Falling Under was too much of the worn-thin "I'm a jerk to you but you love me anyway" romance, and the parts that were original were too dark for me. I'd recommend Falling Under to those that love the darker side of paranormal fiction (not me).

Theia, Theia, Theia. The author tells us things about her, but...more
Kristi
This book was totally not what I was expecting. Definitely a lot more dark and wickedly twisted than I ever would have expected, yet I think that is why I liked it to much. Under was a complete creep-fest.... faceless beings, skeletons.... stitched together people.... rivers of tears. I had those huge eyes.... O_O .... and the expression of "no f-ing way!" it was awesome.

The characters in this novel were extremely well written. Everyone of them had truly unique qualities that made them very hard...more
Steph Campbell
I was lucky enough to read this as a draft and was blown away! I agree with another reviewer that the imagery is amazing. When telling Gwen what I thought I said, "This is going to be big, like Twilight big."
You will LOVE it! :)
Ann Aguirre
FABULOUS. Beautiful, gothic, full of wonder, angst, romance and forbidden love. FALLING UNDER has the feel of retelling the Hades / Demeter myth, which I just adore. This debut is fresh, gorgeous, and utterly enchanting.
Cinnamon
This review may also be found on A Thousand Little Pages.

2.5/5

A shy girl living a seemingly normal life? Check.
A hot and mysterious guy appearing out of nowhere? Check.
Instant, unexplainable, and inevitable attraction blossoming as the two gaze at each other fatefully through a pane of glass? Check.

Haden/Mr. Dangerous-and-Brooding: Stay away from me, lamb.* I’m dangerous.
Theia/Ms. Radiant-Sunshine: But I don’t want to. I think I’m in love with you!
Check.

Does this sound just a teensy bit familiar...more
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

It all starts when Theia sees a burning man fall from the sky. After that she begins having strange and creepy dreams about a boy she's never seen before. Things become even weirder when she finds out he's the newest student in school. For some reason, he acts cold towards her, treating her the opposite of how he does in her dreams. She can't figure him out, and although she knows there's something not quite right about him, she can't stop herse...more
Kelly
Hi, my name is Kelly, and I’m addicted to underworlds.

And it’s the fantastic realm of “Under” that, for me, was the best part of Falling Under. Gwen Hayes uses several tropes that have become overused in YA paranormal romance, but the book is better written than many of its peers, and Hayes’ creativity bursts out of the bounds of the formula every time she shows us a scene from Under.

At first, this feels like a lot of books we’ve read before. Reserved, virginal Theia meets a mysterious boy, Hade...more
Katie(babs)
I’m a sucker for a sexy cover. Gwen Hayes has such a cover for her debut, Falling Under, a supernatural YA about a young girl, who dreams of a dark world and of the boy who resides there, who in turns enters her world and tries to claim her soul. I had some reservations about this book because of my recent dismay over the large amount of YA Paranormal books published that are trying to ride the Twilight train for all it’s worth. Time and again I’m seeing a lonely female protagonist with MIA pare...more
♥ Beth
First of all thank you to Goodreads! I won an ARC of this book through their first reads program!

I loved it! This is a wonderful and different paranormal that involves no Vampires or Werewolves, nor any Angels or Fairies!

It's about Theia, a very withdrawn and sheltered young girl who lives with her extremely overprotective and strict father.

When a burning man falls from the sky, everything starts to change.

When the totally hot new guy, Haden Black, starts school, Theia is drawn to him and she c...more
Diana~
For Gwen Hayes's first debut, this book was pretty amazing. The flow of the story, the intricate characters and the writing that the author creates was just mesmorizing. I can't stop thinking about it! Plus, I'm also a sucker for tortured heroes... and Haden Black is that one. I didn't think I would have shed so many tears for these two people who, even though they loved each other, could not be together. Falling Under is a story about finding the love of your life and fighting for what you beli...more
Shawna
First I must say thank you to the GoodReads First Reads program for the ARC!!!! I won a copy through the Goodreads giveaway!!

Falling Under was a very unique story and not the usual YA Paranormal books. No Vampires, No Werewolves, and No Fairies, oh my. It was so well written and Gwen Hayes did a fantastic job at describing things that it was so easy to picture. There were some parts of the book that were a little slow but definitely nothing that made me put the book down.

Theia can't help feel th...more
Circus Princess
This book is twisted. In a good way. It's like a gothic Alice in Wonderland.Or Coraline. But with a romance novel.

I'm not sure if I gave this book 5 stars for the plot, the characters, or the fact that Haden reminds me of Panic! at the Disco. But this was insane. And it deserves five stars on all three accounts.

This book, that LOOKS short but actually was so complicated and intricate I felt like I'd just read trilogy instead of a novel, is a combination of many, many things:
1. Alice in Wonderlan...more
Miss
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Falling Under. It was a deeply sensual and provocative love story between two beings of two different worlds.
Let me just say that I love Haden. He was so mysterious, creepy, yet romantic and just plain amazing! I could really feel the connection between the characters. He´s the bad “guy” in the mysterious world and I loved all the romance & the twists!

Hayes is a talented writer who has blended horror and romance fantastically with this book.
It was beautifully wr...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
My very own goth Mr. Darcy. Jane Austen would be so proud.

I can't finish this. It's too terrible for words.
My third one-star rating this year.
Torzilla
I must say that, aside from a few issues, I actually did enjoy FALLING UNDER. It is unfortunate to say that while this book was enjoyable overall, I do not think its heroine will leave any lasting impressions on me. But before I critique the not-so-good, let me list what I enjoyed about the story.

First of all, FALLING UNDER is wonderfully devoid of any love triangles. Yes, I'm sure a lot of people can probably imagine my relief reading a story that doesn't have me wanting to strangle a girl for...more
Rachel
Bleh…

Average teenage girl (who doesn’t realize she’s really the most beautiful person alive) with super-controlling (but oblivious, and conveniently out-of-town when anything interesting happens) parent becomes the object of obsession of paranormal boy.

While the writing wasn’t anything special, the first half of this book was three stars. The heroine is interesting. She’s British, rich, a violinist, absolutely controlled by her father, and yet has odd-ball friends. She keeps having bizarre (like...more
BOOK BUTTERFLY

What I enjoyed:
I loved the dark, creepy world of Under and the trippy sequences when Theia crossed over into Hayden’s world. Some readers have mentioned how dark this book was, but for me that was a selling point- I actually would’ve liked to spend more time in the macabre, twisted world of Under. I was both repulsed and fascinated by it—the architecture, landscape, inhabitants, you name it. I wanted more, more, more!! Also, for a paranormal romance, Gwen Hayes definitely shocked me wi...more
Gemma
There are four things that make a book worth my time. Those four things are...
1. The characters
2. The storyline/atmosphere/originality
3. The writing/style/voice
4. The addictiveness

How Gwen Hayes failed:
1. Characters: DISLIKE. Theia (what type of a name is that, anyway?) was a sheltered, mindless idiot who has absolutely no personality. Her token character trait is that she's British. She gives England a bad name. Haden (another weird name. Misspelled, too) was loathsome and inconsistant. Ca...more
Jen
My Thoughts: I was so unbelievably excited when I won this from a GoodReads First Reads giveaway. First, it was a debut author. Second, OH MY, that cover. Third, the premise sounded so interesting. I had a heck of a time waiting until 2011 so that this would count toward the 2011 Debut Author Challenge, but I jumped in as soon as I could.

I hate to say it, but I was disappointed.

Theia definitely embraced the TSTL tendencies. I couldn't connect with her at all. In the first chapter, we find out th...more
Brooke
I really, really liked this book! It was so creepy and funny and frustrating. I was literally laughing out loud at some parts and frantically flipping the page at others. Plus it doesn't hurt that Haden Black is totally swoon worthy! Its a true mystery as to what Haden is for awhile, and that made it more captivating. Theia's dreams were so interesting- actually the whole world of Under is interesting. I loved it- Gwen Hayes describes it in the book as "a Gothic Alice in Wonderland." and thats e...more
Elena
I'd say this was something new.
I'd say it was unexpected.
I'd say it was something fresh, which interested me from the start.
But that'd be lying.

Although Falling Under was a nice, fast read, that doesn't mean the book doesn't fall in the 'totally expected' category.
It's just the same, old story we got to know thanks to Twilight and gradually became sick of thanks to the other bunch of novels who followed that.
It's not that the idea is bad, it's just that it's ALWAYS THE SAME.
Different names, dif...more
Glass
I've decided to read this book because of a friend - and I'm happy I did it.

I've read some interesting reviews about Falling Under and there's one thing I must agree with - it makes you like it and hate it at the same time. But, obviously, like part is stronger in my case. The most annoying thing about it for me was language - luckly, this book isn't translated on my native language - I would hate it because of it. Somehow on english it doesn't sound that lame. It's a bit too much, but it goes w...more
Musiqueheroine89
Jul 13, 2010 Musiqueheroine89 marked it as to-read
First of all, I haven't read the draft so I have no idea what the book has in store for me but judging on the cover (I'm a sucker for black roses, and the cover is absolutely stunning!) I have a feeling that it would probably be a good read for me. Yes, I've heard "you shouldn't judge a book by its cover" lots of time but sometimes you should. I'm just saying.
Anw, I will be anticipating a thrill from this book. Too bad it will come out next year.
Anne
Heh. This is a really hard book to review. There were times I wanted to give it 5 stars, and then times I wanted to give it 1 star.

The Good
The plot really wasn't bad at all. Some parts of it felt like I was reading a description of a Tim Burton movie ( more Corpse Bride, less Batman). Those parts were very cool.
Theia's friends, Donny and Amelia? Wow. I was blown away with how well they were written!
The last few chapters where Hayes turns everything upside down? Very cool. In fact, that's probabl...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

When I think of the BIG titles that broke out a specific trend in Paranormal YA, I think of TWILIGHT and vampires, SHIVER and werewolves, HUSH HUSH and angels, WICKED LOVELY and faeries, and now I think we’re about to add FALLING UNDER to that list. You’ll have to read the book to find out what new trend it’s breaking.

In the tradition of those aforementioned titles, FALLING UNDER is part gothic romance, part paranormal mystery, and part coming of age st...more
Thoughts about the book? really good, good, or bad? 13 83 Dec 05, 2013 05:21AM
Obsessed! 14 85 Sep 25, 2011 10:40PM
  • Wake Unto Me
  • A Touch Mortal (A Touch Trilogy, #1)
  • Vesper (Deviants, #1)
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • The Iron Witch (The Iron Witch, #1)
  • Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
  • Haven (Winterhaven, #1)
  • The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax (The Mephisto Covenant, #1)
  • So Shelly
  • Wildefire (Wildefire, #1)
  • Clarity (Clarity, #1)
  • A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)
  • Book of Love (Knight Angels, #1)
  • A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
  • Timeless (Timeless, #1)
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • Crave (Crave, #1)
  • Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1)
Gwen Hayes (that’s me) lives in the Pacific Northwest with her real life hero and a pack of wild beasts (two of whom she gave birth to).

She is a reader, writer, and lover of pop culture (which, other than yogurt, is the only culture she gets).

Gwen is represented by Jessica Sinsheimer of the Sarah Jane Freymann Agency and her first Young Adult Paranormal novel, FALLING UNDER, will be released by...more
More about Gwen Hayes...
So Over You Dreaming Awake (Falling Under, #2) Butterface Scene from Haden's POV (Falling Under, #1.1) Second Son of a Duke

“Do you think it’s easy for me? No, I don’t remember you. I don’t remember holding you or talking to you or falling in love with you—but I walk around with a giant hole in my heart all the time. I feel your absence every second of the day. It aches and nothing soothes it. Losing you is bad enough, but I don’t even get the comfort of remembering that I had you once.
-Haden”
207 likes
“This isn't a crush, it's obsession.You are never not in my thoughts. Your scent carries across a room and paralyzes me with longing. I don't want to hold your hand. Part of me wants to set you on fire and hold you while the flame consumes us both, to eat your heart so I know that only I possess it entirely.” 187 likes