Start by marking “Fade Away (Myron Bolitar, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fade Away (Myron Bolitar, #3)

Fade Away (Myron Bolitar #3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  17,400 Ratings  ·  768 Reviews
In novels that crackle with wit and suspense, Harlan Coben has created one of the most fascinating heroes in suspense fiction: the wisecracking, tenderhearted sports agent Myron Bolitar. In this gripping third novel in the acclaimed series, Myron must confront a past that is dead and buried—and more dangerous than ever before.

The home is top-notch New Jersey suburban. Th
Published August 31st 2010 by Dell (first published December 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Fade Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fade Away

Julie
Fade Away by Harlan Coben is a 1996 publication

I’m working my way through the Bolitar series in preparation for the new release due out in a few weeks. I know I have read a few of these prior to joining GR, but I have forgotten large portions of the older titles, and I couldn’t remember if I had read this one or not.

As I started reading, bits and pieces began to come back to me, so apparently I have read it, but with a copyright date of 1996, it’s no wonder I didn’t remember all the minute deta
Matthew
Aug 28, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, humor, 2016
Oh, Coben, you have done it again. With 20 pages left I was wondering if I was going to give this book more than 3 stars, or if it was going to end up being mediocre. The story is far fetched and highly unbelievable, but I am willing to suspend belief for a few hundred pages of Myron and Win antics.

Then, as the story was winding down - WHAM! BANG! WHAT THE!? and, without giving anything away, this book earned its 4 star rating in the last 20 pages.

You gotta read this series in order. You will
Phrynne
May 28, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book in this series. I am now a fully subscribed Harlan Coben fan and I will continue to read about Myron until he stops writing them. I enjoyed getting to know the characters better, I was totally engrossed in the story and I laughed out loud at some off the funny comments. There are a couple of lines right at the end about what Win does next which were great. Karma at its best. Loved it.
☮Karen
Maybe 2.5. Not the best in this series. The plot was not bad, but the lame dialog was at times off-putting. I think I like Coben's newer stand alones so much that I expect the same quality in these older books. You can't ignore that fact--these books are old, 90's humor, and were probably hysterical back in the day. Now, not so much.
Bonnie
Mar 17, 2009 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just one of the books featuring main character Myron Bolitar. Being released soon: Long Lost, the most recent addition to Coben's list of Myron books. The others are: Promise Me, Drop Shot, Gone for Good, One False Move...

Going to the beach? Want to escape into an entertaining, well-written story? Choose any book by Harlan Coben, but those Myron Bolitar stories became contagious for me for quite a while -- and a while ago.

That's why I have added Long Lost to my to-read shelf. I'll
Corey
Jan 06, 2017 Corey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Myron Bolitar series just keeps getting better and better by each book! And Myron and Win's characters just seem to get funnier!

In Fade Away, Myron is called on by a Basketball coach to track down Greg Downing, a professional Basketball player and former rival of Myron, who is the #1 suspect in a woman's murder. But as Myron get more and more involved, the plot thickens and parts of his past come back to haunt him.

Towards the end of the book when I thought it was going in a certain direction
Amanda McGill
Jan 17, 2017 Amanda McGill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Do you ever read a series, or even an author's novels, super slowly because you want to savour every novel and enjoy this adventure that they bring you on? This is how I feel about the Myron Bolitar series. I just can't get enough of it, but I want to enjoy this novels as long as I can.

Myron is back in his old world of basketball. A famous all star basketball player, who also was Myron's rival back in the day, is missing and the owner has hired Myron to find him. Myron needs to work uncover by
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Myron Bolitar's professional basketball careeer ended before it ever really began with a severe knee injury sustained during a pre-season game. He is therefore astonished when the owner of the New Jersey Dragons, a team headed for the playoffs, offers him a job as a player. But it turns out that this is to be a cover for the real job--finding the whereabouts of one of the team's star players, Greg Downing, who has disappeared on the eve of the playoffs. Myron and Greg have a history as rivals go ...more
Stephanie
Fade Away is so far one of the best novels in this series, that I've read. Not only is Coben really hitting his stride with the characters in this novel, but the twisty-turny plot line kept me enthralled throughout. I listened to this entire audiobook in two sittings, late at night when almost the entire house was asleep, and I had no distractions. Boltar's character is so fleshed out, he seems more real than ever to me, and I adore his sarcastic asides and Bon mot's especially. (And the other c ...more
Mike
Mar 08, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myron is asked to investigate an old sports rival by playing bball again.
Jeanette
Missed this one, way back there.

Bolitar is good in any age. Coben can write.

It was absolutely beyond refreshing to read a novel that had nuance, entertained, and did NOT hold a bunch of whining snowflakes.

Anywhere.
 Olivermagnus
Fade Away is the third book in the Myron Bolitar series. Myron is a sports agent and former FBI agent, but ten years ago was a a top NBA draft choice until an serious injury sidelined him in his first preseason game. Myron's former rival, Greg Downing, is now a superstar for the New Jersey Dragons. He's also missing and the owner of the team wants Myron to find him. To do that he gives Myron a place as a substitute on the team. When the trail leads to the bludgeoned corpse of a woman last seen w ...more
Dorothy
I have to admit this series is actually growing on me. After reading the second book in the series, I was ready to swear off it forever, but a year and a half later I finally read number four (out of sequence) and liked it. So, I decided to go back and pick up number three, Fade Away and once again I found the book was not awful. In fact, I quite enjoyed it as a diverting read.

This time, the sport is basketball, which was Myron Bolitar's game before his knee was injured in a terrible smash-up wi
Tony
Feb 22, 2010 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harlan Coben- Fade Away (Dell Publishing 1998) 4.75 Stars

The life of a famous basketball star should be wonderful, lots of money and a big home, but when Greg Downing disappears blood is discovered in his basement and it appears that his life may not have been so perfect after all. Myron Bolitar is a sports agent and former college ball player who competed against his rival Greg Downing and suspicions are out that Downing set up Myron’s career-ending injury, yet he has just been hired to locate
Lacy
Apr 15, 2011 Lacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me guessing at every turn. I was totally surprised with the "who done it"! I love the two main characters in this series. They crack me up with their sarcasm and one liners. The book flowed even through the twists and turns. Once you think it is done, you find out that there is more.
Jan
Apr 10, 2015 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fade Away was quite enjoyable, multi-layered and fun. The ending was delightful as it involved Win, my own personal favorite.
Krissy
Sep 04, 2014 Krissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still love Myron and Win! So far this series has been great fun :)
Dee
Apr 24, 2017 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two-haiku review:

Myron hired by team
Missing basketball player
Can Myron find him?

Guilt for past mistakes
Leads us to do stupid things
Pretty angsty end

4-1/2 stars
Harry
Jul 04, 2012 Harry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beginning to exhaust my hunt for the loner, the hunter as a singular and main hero...a new trend seems to be emerging, the disassociation of the hunter and conscientious hero into two separate characters: the main character and his loner side-kick. Several authors embrace this genre motif: Robert Crais's Elvis Cole and his side-kick Joe Pike and of course Harlan Coben's Mylor Bolitar and his elitist side-kick Win.

Of this genre, Coben is probably the most adept at creating complex and winning cha
Rolyn
Jul 18, 2012 Rolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As of the moment, I am still reading this book. But I just feel like quoting Calvin.

"Dreams never die. Sometimes you think they're dead, but they're just hibernating like some big old bear. And if the dream has been hibernating for a long time, that bear is going to wake up grumpy and hungry."

Still reading the book since I need to stop reading it once in a while because of work. But the book is really entertaining. I really like Win. Everything with him seems simple. I don't know but I feel that
Eadie
Aug 31, 2015 Eadie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this 3rd book in the Myron Bolitar series. Interesting characters and a exciting plot keeps the pages turning until the end. Coben also gives us some back history about Myron's college years and how his basketball career injury happened. The witty dialogue between Win and Myron adds much humor to the book. There's also that great twist at the end where the character you least suspect is the bad guy. I can't wait to read the next book in the series as Harlan Coben does not di ...more
Linh
Apr 01, 2016 Linh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
3* cho truyện, cộng thêm 1* cho Win.
Eveline Kleijn
Jan 26, 2017 Eveline Kleijn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
zeer spannend! met veel vaart geschreven. leest lekker weg.
Gary
Dec 02, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 3rd book in the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben.
Another excellent novel.
Elena
Apr 18, 2017 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still can stand/enjoy Myron's personality, continuing with the series.
Karen
Jul 10, 2017 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I think what really draws me to this series is the unpredictability. This is the third one, and so far, there haven't been any obvious endings. I like that about a mystery. And with so many imaginative authors out there, it seems to get harder and harder to find a storyteller that can come up with something different. I mean really, what fun is there in reading a mystery if you can pretty much guess the ending within the first few chapters? Way to go Coben! I'm sure if I had any interest in ...more
Steven Belanger
Jan 25, 2017 Steven Belanger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Edgar Award-winning novel, #3 in the series, shows again why Coben and Myron Bolitar are so popular. Though it reads a little like one of Robert Parker's early Spenser novels--with a 60s radical and a likewise professor to boot--this one's a more modern-day winner because it deals successfully with the dreams, failures and emotions of its characters. It's simply more character-driven than most series in this genre, and the mysteries are up to par, too.

In this one, Bolitar gets to actually l
Dipanjan
Mar 30, 2015 Dipanjan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: facebook-reviews
Fade Away is the third novel in Mr. Coben's series of the cocky crime solver and sports agent, Myron Bolitar. Fade Away features the usual cast of Myron Bolitar, the explosive Windsor Horne Lockwood III and the trite Esperanza. In this novel, Myron takes up a case that NEEDS him to make a comeback on the basketball play field. This immediately draws him to an emotionally perilous path as Myron's stellar and promising sports career was blown to pieces thanks to an injury in his past.

Fade Away is
Danielle
Another good read from Harlan Coben, an exciting mystery and one that seems impossible to solve. Up until the last few moments it really was a who-dunnit situation and even the resolution was hard to swallow, simply because it was so unexpected.

However, this is not my favourite novel so far in the series (for those reading it in order). The middle of the novel was hard to read, the pace really slowed down for me and I don't really know why. The story never slowed but the interest and suspense di
William Arsenis
Dec 10, 2012 William Arsenis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FADE AWAY is the third book in the Myron Bolitar series.

It’s not my favorite Harlen Coben book, but it’s definitely up there.

If I could, I’d give it 4 1/2 stars, docking 1/2 a star for sloppy editing. It’s minor stuff, but throughout the book, the street numbers are sometimes written as numerals and at other times spelled out. For example, “Sixty-second Street” instead of “62nd St.”

I also wasn’t too happy with the sexual promiscuity theme. The whole Thumper, Thumper-Myron, and Thumper-Win deal w
  • Lullaby Town (Elvis Cole, #3)
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • The Closers (Harry Bosch, #11; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)
  • Stone Rain (Zack Walker #4)
  • Harlan Coben
  • Rolling Thunder (John Ceepak Mystery, #6)
  • Phantom Prey (Lucas Davenport, #18)
  • Back Story (Spenser, #30)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

Myron Bolitar (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar #1)
  • Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar #2)
  • Back Spin (Myron Bolitar #4)
  • One False Move (Myron Bolitar #5)
  • The Final Detail (Myron Bolitar #6)
  • Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar #7)
  • Promise Me (Myron Bolitar #8)
  • Long Lost  (Myron Bolitar #9)
  • Live Wire (Myron Bolitar #10)
  • Home (Myron Bolitar #11)

“So basically, that entire theory is blown to hell."
Not basically," Win corrected. "Entirely.”
21 likes
“He truly believed that no one could love him, and no matter who you are, that hurts. It made you insecure. It made you want to hide and build fences” 9 likes