Dead and Loving It

Dead and Loving It (Wyndham Werewolf #5)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  6,260 ratings  ·  203 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
The queen of comic, erotic, other-species romance brings her best setups and hottest sex scenes to this four-novella party. Three of them feature the baaad Wyndham werewolves, who find unanticipated love with often reluctant earthlings.

In "Santa Claws," Alec Kilcurt, the most powerful werewolf in Europe, falls for Santa-clad Giselle Smith and...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead and Loving It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead and Loving It

Megan
So many reasons not to like this book :( The main reason is that it is simply poorly written ~ there is no distinction from one character to the next, all of the "voices" sound alike.

Furthmore, the stories are all crappily similar. They all have the same theme of a main character forcing themselves (romantically in the first 3, friendship in the last) on another person. In each story the person being forced upon has no personality besides smartass. Not just your ordinary smartass, but incredibl...more
Exina
'A Fiend in Need' - 2.5 stars out of 5
(Undead #4.5)

“I’m here to help the queen, not kiss your ass.”

‘A Fiend in Need’ is a short story of George, the Fiend, and Antonia, the werewolf. Antonia has a very handy ability: she can see into the future. Her premonitions lead her to Betsy’s (sorry… Jessica’s) house, where she meets George, whose real name is Garrett, and they instantly fall in love with each other. So Antonia stays and moves in the mansion.

Very short, very quick, very rough-and-ready, b...more
Carolyn
This author is just not to my tastes, I guess. Too rude, lewd, crude, and with very weak plots. I don't care for the constant (and creative) cursing, and the 'romance' is anything but. I'll be passing on anything else by this author.

ETA: Oh, and a word of warning to those that hate such; the story "Monster Love" is a trite sample of the "kidnapped and raped repeatedly, she can't help but fall in love with him..." school of 'romance'. I'd avoid it, personally.
Sara ♥
I had to read MaryJanice Davidson's story in this anthology, because I started Book 5, and was like, "Uhhh... who is Garrett, and why are there now two Antonias? Isn't it confusing enough to have two Jons?" So "A Fiend in Need" was a cute little 80 or 90 pages story about George (whose real name is Garrett) and a werewolf chick (Antonia) who can't actually change into a werewolf. It was pretty cute. I liked that it was a nice quick (very quick) read. I read the entire thing at the gym on one day...more
C
While some of the collection was quite enjoyable, I'm giving this 1 star for the appalling rape fantasies embedded in the sex scenes. The fact that this was written by a female author makes it all the more horrifying.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
1. I pretty sure a doctor can not practice and be blind.

2. If he did suddenly regain his sight he would not be able to identify colors.

3. I can't believe that a werewolf would fall in love with someone just because they smelled like peaches.

4. All the girls in this book talkl like fifeteen year old girls. Yes Duck fuck is actually said.

5. rape is not cool even if a vampire does it.

6. I have no clue how it feels to be trapped in an exercise machine and no one says yeek.

7. why does everyone...more
Cathy
I found it at the airport and needed something to read.
Always wondered about her books, but I won't be reading anymore! :)
Barbara Elsborg
So funny - I love the snark, the set up, everything. I wish I'd written it!
Mikayla
I loved this book. MaryJanice Davidson is hilarious!
Emily
"A Fiend in Need"
The Wyndham Werewolves and Queen Betsy series meet in this story. Antonia is a werewolf who doesn't change into a wolf, but as a consolation prize, she gets to have headaches and see the future. We first met her when she sent Derik to save the world in Derik's Bane. Antonia travels to Minneapolis because a vision told her she'd get something she wants if she went and helped out Betsy. There, she joins up with Betsy, Sinclair, Jessica, etc. And, oddly, falls in love with the fien...more
Megan Mcclelland
Mar 22, 2008 Megan Mcclelland rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: probably nobody
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3.5-4/5
[Also available on my blog.]

I don’t really have a lot to say about this, so this is probably going to be a small review, but I did want to talk about this book.

Dead and Loving It is a collection of four short stories by MaryJanice Davidson, some from the Wyndham Werewolves series, and one of them from the Undead series. Now, I read the first three stories a while ago, and enjoyed all of them and read them rather quickly. My favorite was probably Santa Claws, a story in which a werewolf f...more
Janine
I read this primarily for "A Fiend in Need," as it impacts the Undead series (occurring after the events in Undead and Unreturnable), then decided to read the remaining stories as they were relatively short, and the first one looked kind of cute. But perhaps I should have waited to read the stories related to the Wyndham Werewolves—maybe they would have been more enjoyable in the context of that series. Oh well . . . too late now.

Santa Claws: The opening scene of this short story was hilarious,...more
MJ
Four short stories all about the Wyndham Werewolves and their quest to find their mate. In these books the werewolves are meeting some unorthodox mates and are trying to keep it a secret from their pack.

In Santa Claws Alec Kilcurt, a Scottish Laird and Werewolf, meets his mate Giselle Smith, a human, on the street. But Alec is unsure how to woe Giselle or tell her he is a werewolf.

In Monster Love Janet Lupo a werewolf, meets Richard Will, a vampire, one day while trying to save his life. Neithe...more
Anna's Herding Cats!
Yeah this one was pretty bad. Likely wouldn't have finished reading it if I didn't have to for a group challenge.

My big problem was story two. Monster Love. It really just amounted to a kidnap/rape victim falling in love with her abuser. It was just creepy and you wonder who thought it was a good idea to pass along to the reader.

Santa Claus and A Fiend in Need were what saved this from an even lower rating. Santa Claus was fairly cute for a short story. The characters likable and some funny li...more
Heather
3.5 stars. As with MaryJanice Davidson's "Undead" series, this was a quick read, which is partly why I selected it for a vacation read. "Dead and Loving It" is a collection of four short stories; I read three of the four on a flight from Portland to Dallas.

In the first story, "Santa Claus," Alec (who is passing through town) meets Giselle while she is a bell ringer in a Santa suit. He convinces her to have lunch when her shift is over. She ends up with food poisoning so he takes her to a hotel t...more
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Samantha
If you like MJD’s books and humor I’m sure you’ll get into this anthology. The stories flow into each other quite nicely and they’re all good reads if you’re looking for something quick and fun to read.

The first story in this anthology is Santa Claws and it centers on Alec who is the pack alpha of Europe or something. Anyway, Alec is walking down a busy street when all of a sudden he gets a whiff of peaches and must find out from where that smell is coming. What he finds is a woman dressed in a...more
Elle
So I needed a quick mental cleanse after I banged out a whole novel in a month so I selected “Dead and Loving It” by Mary Janice Davidson. I actually bought this book a while ago and it’s been collecting dust for a while.

The book is four separate stories about unusual couples getting together a la romance novel style. The first three, although separate, are barely related because the character from each either know each other or know of each other. The fourth is from Mary Janice’s Betsy the Vamp...more
sabisteb
Dieses Buch enthält 4 Kurzgeschichten von denen die ersten 3 um die Wyndham Werwälfe angesiedelt sind und die vierte um Betsy Taylor und Antonia (auch eine von den Wyndham Werwölfen).
Santa Claws:
Ein Werwolf verliebt sich in eine moppelige, durchschnittliche Frau, die als Santa Claus jobbt. Das macht etwa 1/4 der Geschichte aus, die restlichen 3/4 beschreiben eigentlich nur noch wie die beiden es die ganze Bacht miteinander treiben, in jedem, teils wenig erotischem, sondern eher eckeligem Detail....more
Kathy
Chantel
Dead and Loving It: Monster Love / Santa Claws / There's No Such Thing as a Werewolf / A Fiend in Need

I read the last story first since I've been reading MJD's Betsy series then went back and read the first ones. This book is steamier than the Queen Betsy books and much more like a fluffy romance novel than the colorful cast of characters and plot driven stories that are included in the "Dead And..." stories. I don't think you need to read it if romances aren't your thing. Yes, I wanted to hear...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Don't read all four of the short stories in DEAD AND LOVING IT all at once. Read back-to-back, although a quick read, the stories are all extremely similar--there are even phrases in the stories that have been used, word for word, in the one that came before it.

That said, all four stories deal in some way with werewolves, specifically ones from the Wyndham clan. The stories are short, sexy, and to the point. Although I enjoyed the premise of all of them, the use of the "c" word to describe the...more
Marsha
This anthology left a lot to be desired and not in a good way, featuring as it did tough-minded ladies crawling with emotional dysfunctions. These were strong, ornery women, a few capable of throwing men into walls. Yet, one after the other, they fall victims to men who are little better than stalkers and rapists. One of these guys is so taciturn he barely says a dozen words before sucking down a woman’s face. (But apparently she likes her men big and dumb, so it’s not a drawback.)

Admittedly, th...more
Nola Arganbright
This is one of the funniest books I have read in a long time. There are 4 interlocking stories that include characters that are so unique. There are Vampires, Werewolves and a Fairy. Relationships are formed between such diverse characters. I am not a lover of foul language but one of the characters in the book is truly formed due to this characteristic. It comes off very funny. I can't wait to read another book by this author.
Diana
Anthology:

Santa Claws: Scottish werewolf Alex is in Boston to meet the new future pack leader when he meets Giselle, a human dressed as Santa Claus.
Monster Love: Undead vampire Richard kidnaps werewolf Janet after he thinks she stood him up.
There's No Such Thing As a Werewolf: Drake is a blind werewolf doctor who is given the shock of his life when he realizes he can see Crescent, who is more than she seems.
A Fiend in Need: Psychic werewolf Antonia visits the Queen of the Vampires, Betsy, to hel...more
Molly
So far, not a huge fan. I guess in the realm of the romance genre for a short story to qualify you have to skimp on substance and get right to the "hot" stuff.

Gag.
Gag.
Gag again.

I read this stuff for the quirky characters and skip over the gratuitous sex, it embarrasses me. So, when a 30 page story has 15 pages of werewolf sex....character development and relationships are lacking.

Wow, how prophetic is that ;) (when you focus on the wrong stuff...heh)

So yeah, this collection of short stories has...more
Karen
I thought I'd read this, but I couldn't remember for sure so I checked it out from the library. I'll admit that I used to like this sort of thing, but I'm finding more and more lately that books with explicit sexual details get on my nerves. I skip it when I find it now-a-days, but unfortunately sometimes I don't skip far enough, or I skim through quotation marks to see if there's anything plot related during the "action." This means that I usually get more of a picture than I really need (or ev...more
Stephy
I guess this goes along with another series MaryJanice wrote but I still enjoyed it even though I didn't read the other books.
A lot of sex scenes. I did enjoy the book though. Deals with Vampires and Werewolves. Can you get better then that?

USA Today bestselling author MaryJanice Davidson has enchanted readers everywhere with her delicious blend of wicked humor, sizzling sex, and totally unique vision of vampires and werewolves. In this collection of four novellas she brings her beloved Wyndham...more
Goodreads Librari...: Book needs to be added to series list 2 31 Jul 30, 2013 06:34AM
  • Secrets: Volume 6 (Secrets Volume, #6; Wyndham Werwolf, #1)
  • Dead and Dateless (Dead End Dating, #2)
  • Don't Talk Back To Your Vampire (Broken Heart, #2)
  • Sucker Bet (Vegas Vampires, #4)
  • Fangs But No Fangs (Young Brothers, #2)
  • Bewitched, Bothered & Bevampyred 2: Fangs Again
  • Real Vampires Get Lucky (Glory St. Clair, #3)
  • Cravings (Undead, #1.5; Moon, #3.5)
  • Sex, Lies and Vampires (Dark Ones, #3)
MaryJanice Davidson is an American author who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series. She is both a New York Times and USA Today bestseller. She won a 2004 Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award and was nominated for the same award in 2005.

MaryJanice's Facebook page:

More about MaryJanice Davidson...
Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) Undead and Unemployed (Undead, #2) Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4) Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3) Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5)