Start by marking “Burning Down 'The Shack': How The 'Christian' Bestseller Is Deceiving Millions” as Want to Read:
Burning Down 'The Shack': How The 'Christian' Bestseller Is Deceiving Millions

Burning Down 'The Shack': How The 'Christian' Bestseller Is Deceiving Millions

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Millions have bought into the theology of Paul Young, whose book The Shack portrays God as a loving, black woman. Similar changes in appearance were given to Jesus and the Holy Spirit. The story of pain and redemption then resonated with the public. But is Young's worldview important? Is his theology that big a deal? James De Young thinks so. In fact, it's so important tha ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by WND Books

To ask other readers questions about Burning Down 'The Shack', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning Down 'The Shack'

Sharon Floyd
He was over thinking the story of The Shack! It was more of a metaphor and he just wanted some attention! This book was stupid, The Shack is very heartwarming and makes you look at life peacefully.
Merrin
Very interesting perspective from someone who actually knew Paul Young before he wrote The Shack. It pinpoints all the things I didn't like about this book and explains why they're there.
John
James B. Young gives a great critique of the novel, the theology behind it and its author. He first lays out the context of background history of the interactions he has had with its author. This was helpful as it gave further insight into both the theology and the author. In addition Mr. DeYoung provides 5 appendices that further clarify issues within the book.
Jeff
May 23, 2011 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YES
Recommended to Jeff by: God Led Me To It
Of the more than 20 books I have had a privilege to read over the past year (2010), this book is in my top 5 for sure. Not only is the author a more than 12 year friend of The Shack author, but "every" page is backed up with tons of Scripture straight out of The Bible. I don't know about you, but after reading The Shack almost 2 times now, I felt a burning in my heart and soul to dig deeper into finding out what The Shack author was trying to convey. Even "fiction" stories come from "life" exper ...more
Sylvia Laidig
Worst book ever, written by a most hateful legalistic Christian. And we wonder why people are leaving the Christian faith in droves. I didn't even make it through the first quarter before putting it...no THROWING it down. I wish there was a negative star rating.
Melanie
While the biblical principles in this work were spot on, the writing of the author was atrocious. His writing style reminded me of the essays I had to grade when I taught Freshman.
eden
eden added it
Jul 18, 2015
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Avee Leigh
Avee Leigh marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Lydia E. Laguer
Lydia E. Laguer marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Laura added it
May 22, 2014
Augustine Liew
Augustine Liew marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Gregory Leszyk
Gregory Leszyk marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Katherine M. Williams
Katherine M. Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Pam Reaktenwalt
Pam Reaktenwalt marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
James De Young, Th.D., is the Professor of New Testament Language and Literature at Western Seminary, Portland, OR.

Also publishes as James DeYoung
More about James B. De Young...
Homosexuality: Contemporary Claims Examined in the Light of the Bible and Other Ancient Literature and Law Women in Ministry: Neither Egalitarian Nor Complementary: A New Approach to an Old Problem Syntax-Reader for the Greek New Testament: Fifteen Lessons To Submit or to Rebel Against the State?: Seven Biblical Principles to Guide Christians Everywhere During an Age of Revolution and in the Struggle for Religious Freedom Terrorism, Islam, and Christian Hope: Reflections on 9-11 and Resurging Islam