Just Enough Jeeves: Right Ho, Jeeves; Joy in the Morning; Very Good, Jeeves

Just Enough Jeeves: Right Ho, Jeeves; Joy in the Morning; Very Good, Jeeves

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Of course there can never be enough Jeeves for die-hard Wodehouse enthusiasts. But this selection brings old favorites to those fans in a sparkling package and will introduce new readers to the funniest writer in the English language.
Right Ho, Jeeves; Joy in the Morning; and Very Good, Jeeves follow the adventures of two magnificently improbable characters. Bertie Wooster...more
Published October 18th 2010 by W. W. Norton & Company

Curious George by H.A. ReyHow Not to Murder Your Grumpy by Carol E. WyerThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonWatchmen by Alan MooreOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Yellowest Books Ever
124th out of 811 books — 381 voters
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareOne Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynA Night to Remember by Walter LordTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Time Passages
243rd out of 400 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindy
Everywhere you go, you are surrounded by idiots. Driving around town, in the grocery store, at work, at play, in the restaurants, in banks, on television, at the movie theater, at school, sadly, sometimes, in your very own home. Is there nowhere one can be safe from this infestation of low intelligence?

Luckily for us all, there is one man who stand against this tide of cretinism. That man is Jeeves. And Jeeves is a man among men. If you are among those afflicted, rush out and purchase this book,...more
Karina
It was very entertaining. It seems I've previously read the short stories in this volume (I could recall some details though not everything), but the novels were new to me.

There were some very weird abbreviations -- but most of them I am proud to say I was able to decipher (as an example, that old joke by Kipling about the f. of s. being more d. than the m.)

The telegram exchange in "Right Ho, Jeeves" (p. 508ff) was hysterical, very silly, and I had to reread it, like the next day for a good lau...more
Oldroses
If you have never read anything by P.G. Wodehouse, this book is an excellent place to start. It contains two novels and a collection of short stories, all featuring Bertie Wooster and his omniscient manservant, Jeeves. The stories collected here span most of Wodehouse’s career, from among the first Jeeves stories to the last.

One drawback to reading an anthology like this is that it is much like watching a "House" marathon on television. The plotlines are all the same. In House’s case, the first...more
Jill Hutchinson
P.G. Wodehouse represented, without doubt the 20th century zenith of satirical, biting wit and mastery of the English language. I was hooked the first time I picked up his books and have continued to enjoy re-reading his short stories for more years than I care to admit.

This volume is a three story Wooster and Jeeves adventure......dim,well meaning Bertie Wooster with more money than ambition and his brilliant manservant, Jeeves. Wooster/Jeeves stories are the epitome of high camp, with a pletho...more
Mary
Mar 19, 2013 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mary by: Elizabeth McDonald
Shelves: fiction, humor
Intro + 3 books in 1 big paperback. This was my introduction to P.G. Woodhouse and I was a little intimidated by the door-stopper size of the volume -- until I started it. Then it was lots of fun, a good exteneded chuckle, refreshing.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
I sometimes envy other readers. There is much joy in reading again a beloved book, but there is nothing to match the enjoyment of when you read that book for the first time. Each successive reading brings new insights, new appreciation of the author's craftsmanship, new details that you missed. However, I envy those who have not yet met Jeeves and Wooster on the printed page. They are in for a treat! These three works, collected into an omnibus edition, are an excellent first journey into this w...more
Rebecca

This is as light reading should be: delightful, fun and smart!

Wodehouse has created a beautiful mixture of formulaic plot and unexpected outcomes driven by a cast of characters who are too infuriating to be figments of fiction.

Bertie Wooster is the bumbling playboy wreaking havoc in his friends' and family's lives. Jeeves is the straight-faced, somewhat arrogant but perfectly loyal butler whose nearly transcendent intelligence saves Bertie time and again, usually with a solution steeped in iron...more
CJ Bowen
Cracking good stuff. I snorted in my chair dozens of times, even at the stories I had read time and again. Wodehouse was one of the great masters of humor, and his every analogy and metaphor a sight to behold.

This is a newly combined volume from WW Norton, putting together Joy in the Morning, Very Good, Jeeves, and Right Ho, Jeeves together in one volume, giving you, as the title indicates, just enough Jeeves. Spanning the heart of Wodehouse's productivity, these three volumes gives us Jeeves at...more
Ellis Ozley
Though a decidedly haphazard arrangement of the selected works (ordered in near-reverse chronological order), I found this the perfect introduction to Wodehouse. I started with the final novel in the anthology, Right Ho, Jeeves, and was immensely pleased that I did so. No matter the order, this is an author worth reading, an anthology worth buying, and a world as inviting and unreachable as Hogwarts in the early Harry Potter books. Wodehouse shares Rowling's uncanny gift for naming characters: A...more
J
This is a great collection, and probably a good introduction to Jeeves & Wooster stories for the unfamiliar. The novels selected are both a bit maddening and slow to start, which is why I say it's "probably" a good introduction; like all Jeeves & Wooster works, they wind up being hilarious, which is the main function of a Jeeves & Wooster story.

The short-story collection was a treat for me, since I'd only ever read Jeeves & Wooster novels before. Wodehouse really excelled in this...more
Timothy Tobolski
After months -- if not years -- of reading far more fantastical fare, I decided to delve back into something a bit more down-to-earth. And you can't get more down-to-earth with pie-in-the-sky ambitions that Wodehouse's stories. Doesn't hurt that I've been watching Fry and Laurie's 'Jeeves and Wooster' series for the past three weeks. I'm particularly excited to check this collection out as it seems to be the basis for most of the adaptation.
Shelley
Thank goodness for P.G. Wodehouse. I'd forgotten all about him, but turn to him now particularly for bedtime reading. The reading is pure pleasure because of the craft of his sentence structure and style, interspersed with the chuckles elicited by the inconsequential antics of the lovable twit Bertie Wooster and his gravely wise valet Jeeves.
Marcel
After my introduction to P.G. Wodehouse by reading "The Code of the Woosters", I wes in heaven to find "Just Enough Jeeves". My hunger for more houmor is satisfied, for now, by the book, an omnibus, cantaining a collection of Bertie & Jeeves adventures. As with "Code of the Woosters", I can't put the book down.
Darcy
Wow! This is the first time I read a book that isn't in the GoodReads system. I read the first edition of Joy in the Morning by P.G. Wodehouse, not this collected edition.

Anyway, I have hope for the human race when I read such glorious prose as Wodehouse produced in this novel.
Denise
Once again, as always, Bertie has problems. Most of his problems are creations of his friends or relatives who inevitably decide that Bertie is the answer to thier troubles. Equally inevitable is the need for Jeeves to come to rescue. Classic, silly Wodehouse. Fun read
Cynthia Nicot
The wit, the pace, the bald-faced idiocy of some of the characters, the insightful snapshot into class and application of common sense. A great introduction to Wodehouse. If you don't find yourself giggling in public places whilst reading this, then re-read the page!
Kevin Kizer
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I'm never let down by Wodehouse.

Honoria Glossop's laugh was alternately compared to "a squadron of cavalry cantering over a tin bridge", "a steam-riveting machine" and "waves breaking on a stern and rockbound coast".
Betsy
After having watched the full BBC series, I thought I did not need to read this collection. However: The turns of phrase, characters and sly wit are even better on the printed page. Many-chuckle-worthy portrait of an era and social hierarchy.
Harold
There's something about Jeeves and Wooster that says summer to me.... frivolity, hijinks and silliness. This is a nice anthology that includes a full length novel as well as short stories. An excellent introduction to Wodehouse's world.
Jenifer
One might argue that the title suggests that there could be such a thing as too much Jeeves, and that, I think, could not be true. The introduction by Robert McCrum is also a nice little read and shouldn't be skipped.
Betsy
May 07, 2013 Betsy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Just enough Jeeves? Sorry, but I don't think there can ever be enough Jeeves, even with three books in one volume. I would give it 15 stars if I could. So, so funny.
T.E.
Ah, sparkling British wit at its best and driest. Delightfully absurd. A masterpiece in its own right. I have fallen in love with Wodehouse.
Very good, Jeeves!
Lisa
Loved this! What ho, Jeeves - how does Jeeves always manage to work everything out, while putting Bertie in his place? Too funny!
Kari Shankar
When life gets a tad dull and you are dragging yourself to work, there is no better elixir in this whole wide world than a Wodehouse
Michelledenisenorton
By the bed reading for relaxation, haven't read these particular short stories in awhile so language + plot details amusing + fresh.
James
Nov 22, 2010 James marked it as to-read
This is a gem I found at Books-A-Million. Was purchased on the spot for Joy In The Morning.
Az
LOVED this! I laughed and laughed. But you have to like smart, literary British humour. Ahah.
Nathan White
While reading it I felt a solid 17% more "British"
Whether that is good or bad I'm not sure.
Jack
Practically every page had me laughing aloud.
Alex
Hilarious, quick read!
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)
  • 03
  • Windeye
  • What Learning Leaves
  • Neighbors
  • Collected Stories (Everyman's Library)
  • The Tasmanian Babes Fiasco
  • The 2,548 Best Things Anybody Ever Said
  • The Pirates! in an Adventure with the Romantics
  • The Poet of Tolstoy Park
  • The Conjure Woman and Other Conjure Tales
  • Stalking Ivory (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #2)
  • A Liar's Autobiography: Volume VI
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • Andy Kaufman Revealed!: Best Friend Tells All
  • High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America
  • The King's English: Adventures of an Independent Bookseller
  • Death of the Mantis (Detective Kubu, #3)
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 30 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)