Start by marking “Just Enough Jeeves: Right Ho, Jeeves; Joy in the Morning; Very Good, Jeeves” as Want to Read:
Just Enough Jeeves: Right Ho, Jeeves; Joy in the Morning; Very Good, Jeeves

Just Enough Jeeves: Right Ho, Jeeves; Joy in the Morning; Very Good, Jeeves

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  435 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Of course there can never be enough Jeeves for die-hard Wodehouse enthusiasts. But this selection brings old favorites to those fans in a sparkling package and will introduce new readers to the funniest writer in the English language. Right Ho, Jeeves; Joy in the Morning; and Very Good, Jeeves follow the adventures of two magnificently improbable characters. Bertie Wooster ...more
Published October 18th 2010 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Just Enough Jeeves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Enough Jeeves

Curious George by H.A. ReyThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonHow Not to Murder Your Grumpy by Carol E. WyerWatchmen by Alan MooreOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Yellowest Books Ever
138th out of 1,015 books — 454 voters
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. RowlingCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Initial Success
203rd out of 339 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindy
Mar 09, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Everywhere you go, you are surrounded by idiots. Driving around town, in the grocery store, at work, at play, in the restaurants, in banks, on television, at the movie theater, at school, sadly, sometimes, in your very own home. Is there nowhere one can be safe from this infestation of low intelligence?

Luckily for us all, there is one man who stand against this tide of cretinism. That man is Jeeves. And Jeeves is a man among men. If you are among those afflicted, rush out and purchase this book,
Karina
Feb 12, 2014 Karina rated it really liked it
It was very entertaining. It seems I've previously read the short stories in this volume (I could recall some details though not everything), but the novels were new to me.

There were some very weird abbreviations -- but most of them I am proud to say I was able to decipher (as an example, that old joke by Kipling about the f. of s. being more d. than the m.)

The telegram exchange in "Right Ho, Jeeves" (p. 508ff) was hysterical, very silly, and I had to reread it, like the next day for a good lau
Mary
Mar 19, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mary by: Elizabeth McDonald
Shelves: fiction, humor
Intro + 3 books in 1 big paperback. This was my introduction to P.G. Woodhouse and I was a little intimidated by the door-stopper size of the volume -- until I started it. Then it was lots of fun, a good exteneded chuckle, refreshing.
CJ Bowen
Oct 05, 2011 CJ Bowen rated it it was amazing
Cracking good stuff. I snorted in my chair dozens of times, even at the stories I had read time and again. Wodehouse was one of the great masters of humor, and his every analogy and metaphor a sight to behold.

This is a newly combined volume from WW Norton, putting together Joy in the Morning, Very Good, Jeeves, and Right Ho, Jeeves together in one volume, giving you, as the title indicates, just enough Jeeves. Spanning the heart of Wodehouse's productivity, these three volumes gives us Jeeves at
Jill Hutchinson
Jan 26, 2011 Jill Hutchinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-classics, humor
P.G. Wodehouse represented, without doubt the 20th century zenith of satirical, biting wit and mastery of the English language. I was hooked the first time I picked up his books and have continued to enjoy re-reading his short stories for more years than I care to admit.

This volume is a three story Wooster and Jeeves adventure......dim,well meaning Bertie Wooster with more money than ambition and his brilliant manservant, Jeeves. Wooster/Jeeves stories are the epitome of high camp, with a pletho
Rachel
Mar 24, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Fun, easy, delightful, witty, smart, refreshing, brilliant...basically, the amount of adjectives I could apply to PG Wodehouse and his characters are endless, vast, infinite - you get the picture, it's great! Such fun!
Tim Evanson
Apr 13, 2016 Tim Evanson rated it really liked it
This is a collection of three P.G. Wodehouse novels: Very Good, Jeeves (1930), Right Ho, Jeeves (1934); and Joy in the Morning (1947). There are 16 Jeeves & Wooster novels, although some of these are really story collections.

Wodehouse worked on a novel for up to two years, mostly writing a story treatment that outlined characters, plot elements, and funny scenes or jokes. He'd then take three to six months to actually write a novel based on this treatment.

Probably the best and weakest of the
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Aug 28, 2011 Stuart Lutzenhiser rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I sometimes envy other readers. There is much joy in reading again a beloved book, but there is nothing to match the enjoyment of when you read that book for the first time. Each successive reading brings new insights, new appreciation of the author's craftsmanship, new details that you missed. However, I envy those who have not yet met Jeeves and Wooster on the printed page. They are in for a treat! These three works, collected into an omnibus edition, are an excellent first journey into this w ...more
Oldroses
Dec 17, 2010 Oldroses rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
If you have never read anything by P.G. Wodehouse, this book is an excellent place to start. It contains two novels and a collection of short stories, all featuring Bertie Wooster and his omniscient manservant, Jeeves. The stories collected here span most of Wodehouse’s career, from among the first Jeeves stories to the last.

One drawback to reading an anthology like this is that it is much like watching a "House" marathon on television. The plotlines are all the same. In House’s case, the first
Rebecca
Apr 17, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing

This is as light reading should be: delightful, fun and smart!

Wodehouse has created a beautiful mixture of formulaic plot and unexpected outcomes driven by a cast of characters who are too infuriating to be figments of fiction.

Bertie Wooster is the bumbling playboy wreaking havoc in his friends' and family's lives. Jeeves is the straight-faced, somewhat arrogant but perfectly loyal butler whose nearly transcendent intelligence saves Bertie time and again, usually with a solution steeped in iron
Brandon Giella
Mar 03, 2015 Brandon Giella rated it it was amazing
Wodehouse is, as Stephen Fry says, the gold standard of English literature. Some argue he's the greatest English writer that ever lived, even beyond Shakespeare and Milton. That might be hard to argue, but this book, and virtually everything else Wodehouse writes, is sound evidence.
Ellis Ozley
Dec 04, 2011 Ellis Ozley rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Though a decidedly haphazard arrangement of the selected works (ordered in near-reverse chronological order), I found this the perfect introduction to Wodehouse. I started with the final novel in the anthology, Right Ho, Jeeves, and was immensely pleased that I did so. No matter the order, this is an author worth reading, an anthology worth buying, and a world as inviting and unreachable as Hogwarts in the early Harry Potter books. Wodehouse shares Rowling's uncanny gift for naming characters: A ...more
Timothy Tobolski
Sep 30, 2011 Timothy Tobolski rated it really liked it
Shelves:
After months -- if not years -- of reading far more fantastical fare, I decided to delve back into something a bit more down-to-earth. And you can't get more down-to-earth with pie-in-the-sky ambitions that Wodehouse's stories. Doesn't hurt that I've been watching Fry and Laurie's 'Jeeves and Wooster' series for the past three weeks. I'm particularly excited to check this collection out as it seems to be the basis for most of the adaptation.
Shelley
Jun 29, 2011 Shelley rated it really liked it
Thank goodness for P.G. Wodehouse. I'd forgotten all about him, but turn to him now particularly for bedtime reading. The reading is pure pleasure because of the craft of his sentence structure and style, interspersed with the chuckles elicited by the inconsequential antics of the lovable twit Bertie Wooster and his gravely wise valet Jeeves.
Marcel
Jul 03, 2011 Marcel rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
After my introduction to P.G. Wodehouse by reading "The Code of the Woosters", I wes in heaven to find "Just Enough Jeeves". My hunger for more houmor is satisfied, for now, by the book, an omnibus, cantaining a collection of Bertie & Jeeves adventures. As with "Code of the Woosters", I can't put the book down.
Daniel
May 11, 2016 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Hysterically funny in places and thoroughly enjoyable. Nobody writes like Wodehouse.
Darcy
Jun 04, 2010 Darcy rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is the first time I read a book that isn't in the GoodReads system. I read the first edition of Joy in the Morning by P.G. Wodehouse, not this collected edition.

Anyway, I have hope for the human race when I read such glorious prose as Wodehouse produced in this novel.
Denise
Sep 17, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it
Once again, as always, Bertie has problems. Most of his problems are creations of his friends or relatives who inevitably decide that Bertie is the answer to thier troubles. Equally inevitable is the need for Jeeves to come to rescue. Classic, silly Wodehouse. Fun read
C
The wit, the pace, the bald-faced idiocy of some of the characters, the insightful snapshot into class and application of common sense. A great introduction to Wodehouse. If you don't find yourself giggling in public places whilst reading this, then re-read the page!
Kevin Kizer
Apr 23, 2011 Kevin Kizer rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I'm never let down by Wodehouse.

Honoria Glossop's laugh was alternately compared to "a squadron of cavalry cantering over a tin bridge", "a steam-riveting machine" and "waves breaking on a stern and rockbound coast".
Betsy
Jun 27, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
After having watched the full BBC series, I thought I did not need to read this collection. However: The turns of phrase, characters and sly wit are even better on the printed page. Many-chuckle-worthy portrait of an era and social hierarchy.
Harold
Jun 16, 2013 Harold rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-reading
There's something about Jeeves and Wooster that says summer to me.... frivolity, hijinks and silliness. This is a nice anthology that includes a full length novel as well as short stories. An excellent introduction to Wodehouse's world.
Jenifer
Mar 10, 2013 Jenifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: wodehouse
One might argue that the title suggests that there could be such a thing as too much Jeeves, and that, I think, could not be true. The introduction by Robert McCrum is also a nice little read and shouldn't be skipped.
Betsy
May 07, 2013 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Just enough Jeeves? Sorry, but I don't think there can ever be enough Jeeves, even with three books in one volume. I would give it 15 stars if I could. So, so funny.
T.E.
Dec 14, 2013 T.E. rated it it was amazing
Ah, sparkling British wit at its best and driest. Delightfully absurd. A masterpiece in its own right. I have fallen in love with Wodehouse.
Very good, Jeeves!
Lisa
Jul 10, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Loved this! What ho, Jeeves - how does Jeeves always manage to work everything out, while putting Bertie in his place? Too funny!
Kari Shankar
Jun 26, 2013 Kari Shankar rated it it was amazing
When life gets a tad dull and you are dragging yourself to work, there is no better elixir in this whole wide world than a Wodehouse
Michelle
Aug 08, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
By the bed reading for relaxation, haven't read these particular short stories in awhile so language + plot details amusing + fresh.
James
Nov 22, 2010 James marked it as to-read
This is a gem I found at Books-A-Million. Was purchased on the spot for Joy In The Morning.
Az
Aug 16, 2013 Az rated it it was amazing
LOVED this! I laughed and laughed. But you have to like smart, literary British humour. Ahah.
  • Neighbors
  • Your Wildest Dreams, Within Reason
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)
  • The Dreaded Feast: Writers on Enduring the Holidays
  • Holocaust House
  • The Science of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • Letters from England
  • Groucho Marx and Other Short Stories and Tall Tales: Selected Writings
  • Mr. Dixon Disappears (Mobile Library Mystery #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Bible: The Menace Behind the Magick
  • Selected Novels and Short Stories
  • Rancid Pansies (Gerald Samper #3)
  • The Way of the Gladiator
  • The Barrakee Mystery
  • The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread
  • Prince of Dorkness (Wimpy Vampire, #2)
  • My Life with Groucho: A Son's Eye View
  • The Maracot Deep
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...