Start by marking “Minerva Clark Gets A Clue” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Minerva Clark Gets A Clue

Karen Karbo

Minerva Clark Gets A Clue (Minerva Clark #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  32 reviews

Minerva Clark is a typical thirteen-year-old girl: she hates her hair, she hates her legs (which somehow manage to look both too fat and too skinny at the same time), and don’t get her started on her gigantor bootie. On top of all this puberty, she’s being raised by three older brothers, none of whom really get her. But when a fateful encounter with a lightning storm rewir...more
Published (first published September 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Minerva Clark Gets A Clue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minerva Clark Gets A Clue

Stephany
This book is about a 7th-grader named Minerva who finds impermeable self-confidence and courage after receiving an electric shock. Minerva goes on to solve a complicated murder mystery involving her own friends and family members.

I liked this book because I could relate to Minerva. She was very critical of herself, very shy, and had difficulty being herself and being honest with other people. I admired how brave and "real" she was after being shocked, and hope to eventually experience a similar...more
Watermelon Daisy

FIRST IMPRESSION:
I first borrowed this sometime last year. I wanted to read a mystery, but then I put it down. I think it's because we were shifting houses, and I thought I may lose the library books if I didn't return them. But anyhow, I was about a third into the book and wasn't sure where it was going.

WRITING STYLE:
I quite like the writing style. It's efficient, doesn't waste time on descriptions. But then, I can also picture the characters very well. So it's a fairly good writing style, in m...more
Jessi
School Library Journal:
Grade 5-8–Rebus-loving seventh grader Minerva Clark humorously describes the worst day of her life, which includes making a fool of herself in front of peers at an arcade, seeing her favorite cousin getting arrested, and suffering from electric shock. But events soon take a dangerously suspenseful twist when Minerva's personality changes as a result of the jolt of electricity. No longer suffering from self-conscious, self-deprecating adolescent woes, she becomes comfortabl...more
Pumpkin
Finally finished the fourth of four books I needed to read to compete on my teacher-team of the Battle-of-the-Books at school.

Enjoyed: Set in Portland, OR, so I recognized many of the places and events. POV of main character as a strange event takes her out of the self-conscious mind of a 7th grader to look at other people and herself in some other way than from the "outside". The "broken" family of BIC (brothers in charge) was enjoyable, as was the humor. Rebus parts a bit hit.

Not so much: The...more
Rad
Why I did not entirely enjoy this book:

1. Excessive use of brand names and product placement. EVERY PAGE. I AM SERIOUS. At least it was consistent.
2. Every single tiny character got a major description. EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER. Again, I AM SERIOUS. If it wasn't the old woman at the counter of the book store who never shows up again, it was the detective who shows up three times for two seconds.
3. Despite the fact that her brothers got three VERY DIFFERENT descriptions, I had trouble telling them...more
Tatyana
I, personally LOVE mysteries. I love the way how the authors can make a reader's brain thinking about a good, mysterious book. In Minerva Clark Gets a Clue, the main character, Minerva, experiences many strange happenings. She is a typical teenager...she has her flaws and her likes/dislikes. She has three brothers who are to take turns taking care of her. One day, at one of her brother's art show, she gets electrocuted. With just a single jolt, she is not only unself-conscious, but she is also b...more
Paula
Minerva is an endearing, entertaining, fresh character being raised by three quirky older brothers. Good mystery (although the explanation for one of the central clues never was revealed--I checked twice) that kept me hooked right up to the end.
Lesley
I wanted to like it more--kind of hard to follow the mystery--and very unsure about a 7th grader investigating an actual murder, having seen the dead body of someone she knew a little and thought was nice. Seemed like there were some intense issues that could have been addressed more deeply: a girl being raised by three older brothers, finding out people she loves are doing some pretty bad things, etc. Started off with the premise of her becoming more assertive, less self-conscious after an elec...more
Esme
Oct 13, 2012 Esme rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: saylor waldorf
Recommended to Esme by: mom
I loved this book!It really captures you and is really funny!Full of rebuses and many clues intwined all with giant mixed up mystery!!!!!I love how Karen Karbo wrirtes her books.Minerva really is like any other teenage girl but after the shock everything changes.I love the names of the characters!(morgan,mark clark,minerva,toc,quills,reggie,tiffani,jordan,dwight,clyde,zoe,pansy,hannah,julia,chelsea de guzman,chelsea evans and jupiter the ferret(only soem of the characters)
Olivia
This book is an intriguing mystery/fictional book. This book is about 11 year old Minerva Clark whose life just turned upside down. Ever sice the day she was shocked, things have been a bit different. To find out more about this fictional mystery read this book! You wont regret it! I promise. I know i dont regret reading this. If you are a mystery type of reader then you will love this book!
Allison
I read this for a mystery writing assignment. I had to find a novel that fit a certain category and this one did. It is labeled for ages 9-12, but I think it is closer to 11-14. It was a fun mystery with an interesting main character. It touches subjects like self esteem, murder, and identity theft. It was a cute story and I liked it, but not enough to read more of the series.
Dannielle
I also read this book for the children's literature class I'm taking, and it was SO much fun to read. The story is based out of Portland, which also made it that much more fun to read since I live here. Karen kept me guessing until the end - and didn't leave me disappointed! The culprits got what they deserved!
The Library Lady
Dec 28, 2007 The Library Lady rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who want something a lot better written than Nancy Drew!
Shelves: ya-books
I have always HATED Nancy Drew, so I won't compare this to it as others have done. Besides, often awkward, far from perfect Minerva and her motley crew of brothers and friends is about as different from Nancy as you can get.
I loved this, and I am looking forward to more Minerva adventures.
Jennifer Wyld
An interesting twist of fate. A young woman is electrocuted in a freak accident involving performance art - and the effect is that she looses her paralyzing self confidence and decides to solve a local murder case. Well written. An OBOB book.
April
Very cute middle-grade myserty about a girl who accidently gets electrocuted and the shock to her system causes her to lose all her self doubts. She uses her newfound confidence to solve a murder that somehow involves her favorite cousin.
Jeff
This is a BOB book for this year and I really enjoyed it. It makes current references, is funny, and has a strong, 7th grade, female protagonist who is confident in herself---something that is hard to find. Great book....
Thea3
good so far. It has a lot going on but in all it is a graet book. This book is rote up well and i can tell something bad i going to happen.

if you have read this book can you tell me something about it.
Ariel
This book was funny and the series has kept my mom laughing. At the same time though, there's s mystery in progress! Would definitely recommend.
Maddy
This was a great mystery book. It took me a little while to get into it but once I did, I was impressed by the plot and Minerva Clark's smarts!:)
Kathy Erskine
Fun book! Clever, quirky characters -- even a ferret. I particularly love the 3 BIC's (brothers in charge). A hoot.
Kate
There were some bad words in this book! Tisk, Tisk, Tisk! But other than that Minerva Clark was good.
Marilyn
Oct 11, 2007 Marilyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7th grade - 9th grade
I like the characters in these mysteries, particularly Minerva and her brothers.
Megan
A fantastic mystery about a girl who's life is changed by a bolt of lightning
Evelyn
I read this book in one day!!! I think that explains it all...........
Julie
Silly, fun, original. Some of my favorite literary qualities.
Becky
Fun, quirky characters, with a mystery thrown in.
Brittney
This book makes you want to not stop!!!!!!
Emily
An amazing mystery with unexpected twists
Kajol
I enjoyed this book. Good and fun.
Lark
Minerva is better than Nancy Drew!
Karen Karbo's first novel, Trespassers Welcome Here, was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year, and a Village Voice Top Ten Book of the Year. Her other two adult novels, The Diamond Lane and Motherhood Made a Man Out of Me, were also named New York Times Notable Books.

Karbo's 2004 memoir, The Stuff of Life, about the last year she spent with her father before his death, was an NYT Notable Book...more
More about Karen Karbo...
The Gospel According to Coco Chanel: Life Lessons from the World's Most Elegant Woman How Georgia Became O'Keeffe: Lessons on the Art of Living How to Hepburn: Lessons on Living from Kate the Great Minerva Clark Goes to the Dogs (Minerva Clark, #2) Julia Child Rules: Lessons on Savoring Life