Start by marking “Ray: Stories of My Life - The Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Ray: Stories of My Life - The Autobiography

Ray: Stories of My Life - The Autobiography

Ray Martin needs no introduction. As the face of the 'The Midday Show', 'A Current Affair', '60 Minutes' and 'Carols by Candlelight', he is instantly recognisable. Indeed, after more than forty years on our television screens many people feel that they have come to know him.

But not many people know the real story behind Ray's rise to stardom. His was an impoverished childh
Published 2009 by Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about Ray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ray

Michelle
Apr 19, 2016 Michelle rated it liked it
Not a book I would have pounced on ..... But my Mother In Law was keen for me to try it..... So, I read it.
I don't think there'd be a person in Australia who doesn't know who Ray Martin is........ But that is just the point...... Do we really know who Ray Martin is?
And, the answer is no - especially the early years.
As with most memoirs / autobiographies, the childhood years are the most intriguing and interesting - in my eyes anyway. (You'll be surprised)
The rest is fine.... A little disjointed
Peter Langston
This is a well written, interesting book, spiced with a background to events of the past fifty with honesty and humour. Martin wears his heart on his sleeve, happy to expose his passions and strongly held beliefs. His story is a remarkable one of literally, rags to riches. As happens with many autobiographies, it peters out when the subject gets close to the modern day: perhaps the more distant memories, retold often, have therefore more colour and character than more recent ones.
Petersong
Sep 07, 2011 Petersong rated it really liked it
I fondly remember watching Midday with Ray Martin as host when I was on school holidays or home during my days at university. Ray is a nice, credible Aussie bloke. This book did not disappoint me. I enjoyed the reminiscing it prompted about Midday, eg. the Ron Casey and Normie Rowe punch-up. The Packers sound like rude pigs.
Carolyn
Jan 13, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
I did'nt want to put it down ,I could hear Ray's voice as he told his stories. Such a rich life ,and unpredictable a real rags to riches fairy tale ,(no offence Ray,but you seemed pretty hard done by as a kid at times)but your positive attitude made it all possible not to mention brains and confidence.
Mei
Oct 05, 2013 Mei rated it really liked it
The good point of his narration is that he tells his stories in different catagories. I can pick the aspect I am interested in to read. His life as a reporter is colorful and what he recalls gives me a vivid picture as if I were in the scence.
Vania
Mar 31, 2010 Vania rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. I've always admired Ray Martin. It was interesting reading about his troubled childhood with an alcoholic father and the behind the scenes of a current affairs show. Highly recommended
Karen Donnellan
Jul 28, 2011 Karen Donnellan rated it liked it
Written in a style just like you'd expect, like he was having a 'yarn' on TV. He had a tough childhood. He certainly wasn't happy with channel 9 management and ACA and the decline in TV and journalistic standards in recent years...
Jenny
Jan 11, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I really enjoyed this memoir, couldn't put it down,and it left me wanting more. It was a joy to read.
Allan Sparkes
Allan Sparkes rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2013
Colleen Francis
Colleen Francis rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Geoff Garcia
Geoff Garcia rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Rachael Herbst
Rachael Herbst rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Janelle Green
Janelle Green rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2013
Cassie Harvey
Cassie Harvey rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2014
mariel brennan
mariel brennan rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Craig Holmes
Craig Holmes rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Marcella
Marcella rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Aliak
Aliak rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2012
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2011
Kylie
Kylie rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Nicki Davies
Nicki Davies rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Rita Chapman
Rita Chapman rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2012
Juanita
Juanita rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2012
Rae Hartnett
Rae Hartnett rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2013