Berried to the Hilt (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #4)

Berried to the Hilt (A Gray Whale Inn Mystery #4)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  88 reviews
When a lobsterman discovers a sunken ship, Cranberry Island is abuzz with excitement. Is the wreck the remains of the Myra Barton, the missing ship of island sea captain Jonah Selfridge? Or the elusive Black Marguerite, which belonged to one of the most notorious pirates of the 17th century and vanished without a trace--except for the ghost ship that old-timers say roams t...more
Published November 8th 2010 by Midnight Ink (first published November 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Berried to the Hilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Berried to the Hilt

Linda
I love this Gray Whale Inn Mystery series! It's a cozy series that takes place in a Bed & Breakfast on Cranberry Island, off the coast of Maine. I'm intrigued with the situations that the proprietress, the inquisitive Natalie, gets into from almost the first page.

This one includes murder, a little romance, a touch of a ghost, and of course lots of danger when an old sunken ship is found in the harbor and soon two rival factions come to authenticate the wreck: the local Maine University and a...more
Betsy
Berried to the Hilt is the fourth book in the Gray Whale Inn Mystery series by Karen MacInerney. If you have enjoyed the other books in the series, then you will want to check this one out. We get to visit the same quaint Cranberry Island as well as our favorite characters. As usual, there is a murder on the island. Natalie and her friends are up to the task of investigating the who, what, and why. With the inn as the backdrop, Natalie does her usual nosing around in the guest rooms. The plot is...more
Patricia
After what I considered two very poorly structured predecessors, this fourth entry in MacInerney’s Gray Whale Inn series returns to the quality that I experienced in the first book. Her characterizations of the main protagonists have returned to a level that can be both believed and respected. And she has, this time, been able to more seamlessly integrate the murder mystery with the island’s history and with the daily trials and tribulations of our protagonists’ lives.

Natalie and John are now en...more
Nancy
First I have to get off my chest my absolute dislike of Karen MacInerney going back and forth calling the same character Eli and Eleazar. Yes, I know that Eli can be an abbreviated version, but the first couple of times, my brain wanted to separate the two into two different people.

Berried to the Hilt has a couple of things going on. Innkeeper Natalie Barnes has been volunteered to be the judge of Cranberry Island’s annual cranberry bake-off which has half the island stopping by with little sam...more
Susan
Abbey Hauswirth
I loved the Gray Whale Inn Mystery Series and read all five in less than 2 weeks. Being a "Murder She Wrote" kinda fan, this series brought mystery, intrigue and fun characters throughout. Highly recommend it! (And thanks to my mom for recommending it!)
Missy
I enjoy the setting of this series...an island off the coast of Maine, a bed-n-breakfast run by a woman, the curious characters who live on the island and visit the inn. This plot was intriguing, but the writing a bit rough at times.
Krystn
#4 in the series. I think they forgot to hire an editor.
The others in the series were better, definitely a cozy mystery.
Deborah
I like the series as a whole, it offers some of my favorites things about cozies, a B&B, the recipes, the ocean, the setting in Maine. But this particular installment, Berried to the Hilt was just a spiral into laughable in the second half of the book. The most charming aspect was the NY Times lady, Cherry, who was secretly reviewing the B&B cooking. However, is this plausible when you are being served clam chowder, cake, and lobster salad? Certainly drool worthy, and home made, but ?? f...more
Shawn
Jun 28, 2013 Shawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
Holly
I like this series. I've read the first four of the books. Something about the main character, Natalie Barnes, the owner of a bed & breakfast/inn on an island in Maine, appeals to me. Of course, it's quite silly that she always seems to become embroiled in murder cases (since, after all, she runs an inn on a tiny island in Maine)--a little Murder She Wrote.

Still, the case this time was more compelling than the one in book 3. Two teams come to investigate a shipwreck discovered off the coast-...more
LORI CASWELL
Cranberry Island is full of excitement. A sunken ship has been found off the coast. Could it be a pirate ship? The Black Marguerite belong to one of the most notorious pirates of the 17th century is said to have vanished without a trace. Or is it the Myra Barton, the ship of island sea captain Jonah Selfridge? It doesn’t take long and the island is crawling with treasure hunters and marine archaeologists. Natalie Barnes is happy because it’s great for business. The Gray Whale Inn only had one bo...more
Suzanne
I love Karen MacInerney's "Gray Whale Inn Series." With each of the books in the series, it doesn't take me long to get deeply entangled in Natalie's latest adventure. MacInerney really does have a gift! The only downside is that I end up so hungry, the food that Natalie whips up there at the Gray Whale Inn sounds so scrumptious I want to step through the pages of the book, and join her other guests for one of her delicious meals.

In this latest installment of the series, a sunken ship is discov...more
Jackie
I will start by saying this is the first book review I have written. That being said...who was in charge of editing this book? A few times while reading, I thought I was having deja vu. However, I found out that it was really due to the fact that a few times within the book it repeated the same information.

Here is an example: on pgs. 135 & 136:

"You were going to tell us something, remember?" John prompted me. "Oh, right. Anyways, you know those life bags they use to pull up artifacts?" "The...more
Nancy Butts
The problem with a series mystery set on an island with only 100 inhabitants is that it quickly strains reader credulity past the breaking point to have so many murders among so few people! Why would anyone stay at an inn with such a high mortality rate? :D Though of course, we cozy lovers know this and are willing to accept it, especially with characters we like and a setting we enjoy. I've spent many years visiting the part of Maine where these mysteries are set, so that was the initial draw....more
Susan
Berried to the Hilt is book 4 of the Gray Whale Inn cozy mystery series by Karen MacInerney. The setting is what I like best about the series – The Gray Whale Inn is a bed-and-breakfast inn on Cranberry Island in Maine. Proprietor Natalie Barnes fled a failed engagement and hectic life in Texas to pursue her dream of owning and operating a B&B in Maine.

'What were you thinking?' It was a question I had often asked myself, over the last few years, ever since I quit my job, sold my house, and...more
Marti
Berried to the Hilt is the fourth book in the series called Gray Whale Inn Mysteries #4. The main character, Natalie is the inn keeper at the Gray Whale Inn. Her other characters include John, her boyfriend, Gwen, her niece and Charlene, her best friend. Yet again a murder occurs and this time the cause seems to be sunken treasure of dubious ownership. Everyone on Cranberry Island has an opinion. It takes Natalie and her cast of characters to track down the truth.

In each story, you become more...more
Linda Smatzny
This is the fourth book in the Gray Whale Inn Mystery series. It is fall and Natalie is looking at less bookings for the inn when a ship is discovered. No one is sure what ship it is but everyone thinks it might be a sunken pirate ship. This discovery brings new guests to the inn. However one of the guests gets killed and a friend of Natalie's is arrested so Natalie starts asking questions. It was a quick easy read.
Regan
Despite the inn keeper / heroine's propensity to poke around in her guests rooms and belongings, there is still a certain appeal to this series. I'm liking how the past history -- nor paranormal like parallel time or ghosts or past lives impinging on the present, but how cold case type crimes find themselves solved in the present.
Kathy
This book is the fourth book in this mystery series but the first one I've read. I didn't feel like I missed anything by not reading the others first. I enjoyed it so much that I am now reading the next one in the series. I seldom read the same series back to back. The book makes me want to visit Maine - great descriptions.
Grey853
Anna
What a great series! I'm going to be quite sad until the 5th book is available on my library's ebook site. *double sigh* But, I shall be patient. I did spot a mistake at the beginning but I'm still giving it 4 stars because I was entertained. Natalie's niece, Gwen, was supposed to go back to California to finish her degree at the end of book 3. But, she appeared in book 4 and it was never mentioned why she decided to stay or if she was going. But, it didn't detract from the overall story. Anyway...more
Denise Vasak
I have enjoyed this series, however this book fell flat for me. It started out with a great premise but then it just went no where. I could see what was coming before I read it - which is hard for me because I really don't like to think about what's ahead - and the outcome was a little TOO happy. Everything is peachy keen at the end and all the loose ends have been tied up, with no real repercussions. I mean any one of the obstacles regarding Natalie should have sidelined her for more than the 1...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
First of all, Author Karen MacInerney does not seem to know how to write a less than 5 star book. That being said, her latest in the series "A Gray Whale Mystery", is very easily her best yet.

Natalie and john are cast adrift in B & B visitors vying for first to discover the shipwreck find of the centuries...be it a Pirates or local founding family ship of Cranberry Island.

Murder is afoot and Natalie gets involved without even trying. That, of course, will not stop her from sleuthing now that...more
Sue
This is the fourth installment in the Gray Whale Inn mysteries, and Natalie's new relationship with Marge is one of the best parts of the book. Marge is becoming a likeable character, and I look forward to getting to know her better.

Natalie is grateful to have some guests at the inn during a usually slow time of year. The guests are working to identify the discovery of a shipwrecked site. A disappointment in this book is the early emergence of "whodunit;" it's not much of a mystery. But Cranber...more
Mark Baker
A sunken ship is found off the coast of Cranberry Island, Maine, and soon two rival groups are trying to identify and claim the wreck. Both teams are staying at Natalie Barnes' inn on the island, so when the leader of one of the teams is killed, she's in the perfect position to figure out who done it. I had forgotten just how much I love these characters; it was great to see them again. The plot dragged in the middle, however, before picking up again for the climax.

Read my full review at Carstai...more
I BELIEVE i'VE READ THIS BEFORE....? Anyway, this was similar to another book regarding pirates--not bad!
Susie
May 07, 2014 Susie added it
A fun read---makes you want to go to a Maine island Inn-especially if it has this delicious food!
Kelly Wagner
Cute but maybe a little too cute and cozy. The characters aren't quite three-dimensional, and some of them seem inclined to infodump blurts about their field. And running an inn seems to be awfully easy for our protagonist - despite her complaints, we never see any real difficulties. Let's just say that compared to what I know of Maine (my parents lived there for some 30 years) hers seems to have cooperative weather, reliable boats, steady food supplies, and spare cash in excess of reality. None...more
Ivan Benedict
This is a cute murder mystery. What I liked is that it painted a good picture of life on an island off the New England coast - the good parts and the not-so-good. The heroine of the story runs a B&B on the island, and what she does with food is interesting; and the author includes some mouth-watering recipes at the end of the book. I want to especially try the Carmelized Overnight French Toast. It looks yummy.
There are a couple of rather unbelievable rescues of the heroine; but the mystery k...more
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Murder by the Slice (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #2)
  • Pie A la Murder (A Della Cooks Mystery #4)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery, #3)
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Arsenic and Old Paint (An Art Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Rotten to the Core (Orchard, #2)
  • Antiques Knock-Off (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #5)
  • Clammed Up
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • Bookplate Special (A Booktown Mystery, #3)
I'm the author of the Agatha-nominated Gray Whale Inn mystery series, Tales of an Urban Werewolf. the Margie Peterson mysteries and the upcoming Dewberry Farm mysteries (plus a new fantasy in the works). My reading is like my writing: eclectic!

I grew up in the Northeast, but I currently live in Austin with my husband, two kids, and a houserabbit named Bunny. Feel free to visit me online at www.ka...more
More about Karen MacInerney...
Howling at the Moon (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #1) On the Prowl (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #2) Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #1) Leader of the Pack (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #3) Dead and Berried (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #2)