Start by marking “The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)

The Truth of Valor (Confederation #5)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  2,619 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
The "rousing military adventure"(Locus) continues with a brand-new Valor novel.

Former Marine Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr is attempting to build a new life with salvage operator Craig Ryder on his ship, the Promise. Turns out civilian life is a lot rougher than she'd imagined-salvage operators are losing both cargo and lives to pirates. And when they attack the Promise,
Published September 7th 2010 by DAW (first published August 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth of Valor, please sign up.

Leila B
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jamie Collins
3.5 stars after a re-read in 2015, enjoyed this.

I'm glad there was a break (mostly) from the series story arc that bugs me so much, but I have to admit that I liked the way Torin and Craig are constantly, automatically, checking any little bit of (view spoiler) they come across.

Original 2010 review:
This fifth Valor book is a bit of a departure from the series, since our heroine is now a former marine taking on evil space pirates without the Corps to back her up. She'
Michael
Nov 07, 2016 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, 2016
Tanya Huff isn't done with ex-gunnery sergeant Torin Kerr yet even though the last novel wrapped up the on going story arc. Torin is out of the Marines and currently working salvage with her salvage op boyfriend in a tiny ship. Not much plot to this one. You get the feeling Huff wanted to boil the pot a while in the hopes that something would come together. The Peacekeeper series kicks off in the next book so we'll see if the plan worked. Meanwhile Torin has some space pirates, a deadlocked cach ...more
Angela James
Sep 10, 2010 Angela James rated it it was amazing
I really had no idea what to expect from this book, since book 4 had seemed to really tie up the story arc. But Ms. Huff did a fantastic job of pulling us back into Torin's world and investing us in what happens next. Let me start by saying that if you're a fan of space opera, kick ass heroines and you're looking for something new to read, I encourage you to pick up book one of this series. You may also want to skip reading my review, because it's impossible to write about this particular book w ...more
Otherwyrld
This one just didn't grip me as much as the other books in this series. Once you get Sergeant Kerr out of uniform you are losing a major part of what makes this series so entertaining.

So, Torin and the few survivors of her company have quit the Marine Corps after discovering in the last book that the war they had been fighting was based on a lie, one perpetuated by a hive mind of intelligent plastic. Shacking up with her salvage contractor lover Craig, she tries to settle in to civilian life. It
Lilia Ford
Jul 12, 2015 Lilia Ford rated it really liked it
Another edge-of-your-seat thrill ride, which sets out the prove the axiom, "there is no such thing as an ex gunnery sergeant." This story pits our heroine against SPACE PIRATES!!!! who unlike the version popularized by Johnny Depp, are legitimately awful and frightening. The book also brings together some favorite characters from the previous books to help Torin in her quest to eradicate the piratical scourge and hopefully set up a future series of crusading ex-marines.
Paula
Dec 25, 2011 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, favorites
Arhhhh what joy to get back into the lives of Gunnery Sargent Kerr and Craig Ryder
I have missed them. I thought this would be the last book in this series but Tanya Huff has twisted this story to allow for more and not in at half hearted manner either. The possible new stories have a great story line going for them and now I am going to be on tender hoooks
for the next one.
well done Tanya
rereading and I had forgotten the ending of this one.
What a doosy! I'm ready for the next.
12Sep15
Dee
Feb 13, 2017 Dee rated it really liked it
This is my least favourite of the series I think. Probably not even a full 4 stars but series continuity gives leeway. Plus it's claerly a transition novel - those who don't want to read The Peacekeeper series will be able to leave it here happy while those who do can view it as a sort of long prequel, especially as An Ancient Peace has first book syndrome all over it!
So, Torin Kerr has left the military for a romantic ever after with claustrophobic Craig in his teeny spaceship collecting scrap.
Rich
It took me a long time to finish this book off, because, after getting about a third of the way thru, I gave up on it because it just didn't have what I liked about the first three books: The interplay between Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr and her fellow marines. I liked Torin Kerr as an ass-kicking marine. Now she was doing salvage work with boyfriend Craig. Yippee.

Now, I knew that when pirates grabbed boyfriend Craig and left her for dead, that eventually she was going to be kicking some pirate
Kim Aippersbach
Sep 01, 2014 Kim Aippersbach rated it really liked it
Possible spoilers to earlier books in the series, though I'll try not to.

When you've got a great universe, a great character, and a great premise, you can write an infinite number of books that are just variations on the same theme, and people will gobble them up. Or, you can decide that character development is more important than sticking to the successful formula and take your character in an entirely new direction. Jim Butcher did it with Harry Dresden (took him 12 books to get there; but he
Travis
Jan 04, 2015 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
I read this book by listening to the audible version, and in the beginning, I was wondering just who it was doing the editing for this version. Bad chapter endings (words cut off) repeated sentences, and some background noises made this one of the worse audible books I've ever had the misfortune of listening to. Fortunately, the second half of the book was considerably better, so that's something at least. Otherwise, this was an excellent book. It seemed a bit childish at first, (foul language u ...more
Heather
May 20, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
The Truth of Valor is the fifth novel in the Confederation series. It's militaristic, driving, tense, and dark. There’s plenty of action and danger, as well as a plethora of fight scenes that never feel repetitive or dull. Huff’s sense of pacing is deft and skilled, winding up the tension repeatedly, delivering on promised climaxes, and lightening the mood here and there as appropriate.

The characterization is one of my favorite aspects of the writing. Torin’s intensity and her spiral into dark p
Blodeuedd Finland
Right so in the last book we learned that plastic aliens are behind everything, and I mean everything. There is no real war in a sense, just a bunch of plastic aliens watching and monitoring. So no wonder that Torin quits her job and becomes a civilian.

Most of this is a space book or a space station book, and I must confess that I do prefer when she is on land to to say. More things seem to happen then, like the prison planet and the escape from it. Anyway Torin and Craig is a team, salvaging st
Sandy
Sep 11, 2010 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Torin Kerr is no longer in the marines. She is now a Civilian Salvage Operator, with Craig Ryder, her main squeeze. What kind of trouble could she possibly get into now? PIRATES! Pirates attack and kidnap Craig. And now Torin will pull out all the stops to get him back.

Change of pace from the first 4 Confederation books. She opens this book up to all new directions that I am incredibly excited about! I really hope she writes more.
Alena Gocnikova
Jan 08, 2014 Alena Gocnikova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn you, Tanya Huff

There hasn't been a single book written by TH that I would be able to put away halfway through. The Valor series were slightly different from the wild magic stuff I have read before, but not any worse for it. Ending on a kind of cliffhanger note as usual, I'm curious to see if anything else will be added, and I'm sure I'll get it and read it in one sitting and feel oddly connected to the heroes, as usual. Damn you, Tanya Huff.
Glennis
Jan 02, 2013 Glennis rated it liked it
I like this series and I don't know if there will ever be more in it so I had held off reading this one. The books can stand on their own but it does help to have read the previous ones in the series. Torin is now a retired space marine and is now making a go of it as a miner with her boyfriend. Pirates attack and take her boyfriend and leave her for dead. Of course that doesn't last and she calls her retired marine friends to help get him back. Good solid story line and a fun read.
Beyonder
Nov 01, 2016 Beyonder rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
If you liked the rest of the series there's just more to like here. Not perfect, but way better than average on the story telling and the characters.

If you're looking for a good transition from one type of story into another, you've got one here. The later books are a separate series for a good reason.
Will
Aug 26, 2010 Will rated it it was amazing
Damn, that was a good book. All of the Confederation Series was good, but this, this book was one of the best that I've read in awhile.
Tasha Turner
This book was my favorite. The book ended at a good stopping point but left room for her to continue on. At the moment I'm a bit suspicious of plastic. Read the series to find out why.
Douglas Debner
Jun 14, 2017 Douglas Debner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every book in this series is good which makes this series exceptional. Here Gunnery Sargent Torin has left the marines to take up salvage operations with her SO. Pirates have taken a container of marine weapons from another salvage vessel but killed its crew. Now those pirates are looking for another salvage ship to take to help them get through the booby-traps set by the original salvage vessel. Torin and Craig are ambushed and Craig is taken while Torin is left for dead. Torin manages to survi ...more
Tressa
Truth of Valor was a satisfying adventure. I had been curious as to what Torin would be up to after completing her military service. I look forward to the next book.
Mel
Trigger warning for scenes of torture - some are pretty graphic, some just give us the cutaway and a few lines about the condition of the corpse. Either way, could be upsetting.
Josephine
May 29, 2017 Josephine rated it it was amazing
It was a good end to a good series
Kathy Davie
Oct 26, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fifth in the Confederation military science fiction series revolving around Marine Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr...oops, that's ex-Gunnery Sergeant Kerr.

The Story
A visit with Torin's parents and Torin and Craig are off to introduce her to her new life as a Confederation salvage operator (CSO). Only, Torin just can't leave her Marine training behind nor can she leave one of her own behind. Now that she's a CSO, any other CSO is one of hers. So when pirates start reducing the CSO population, Torin i
Ch J Loveall
Mar 15, 2017 Ch J Loveall rated it really liked it
Wonderfully written - next book, please.
Lianne Pheno
Oct 08, 2015 Lianne Pheno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chronique tirée de mon blog !

Je dois dire que je ne savais pas trop quoi attendre de ce tome après les révélations du précédent. La chose était tellement énorme que soit elle amenait sur un autre arc, soit elle concluait l'histoire. Étant fan de cette série j'ai bien été contente qu'elle continuer bien entendu.

Ce tome est en quelque sorte un retours au sources, comme les premiers tomes, il est en quelque sorte un stand-alone, tout en ayant une piqûre de rappel qui nous fait espérer une continu
Kathy
Mar 11, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
Torin left the Marines - disenchanted to learn that the war was a manipulation of the plastics, and because she loves Craig... and hints that they continue to be on her mind when she and Craig continually touch any plastic that they come into contact with... She is learning from Craig on the ins & outs of the ship "Promise" , and of salvage... they visit a colony of salvagers, Craig's friends - an environment / lifestyle unfamiliar to her -

Pirates 'captured' the salvage of a couple, killing
Mike Finn
At the end of the last book, "Valor's Trial", Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr, disillusioned with a war that turned out to have been meaningless, left the Marine Corp for civilian life.

She is now with Craig Ryder on "The Promise", working as an independent salvage operator, trying to make the move from "Us" being the tight-knit, disciplined, family of the Corps, to "Us" being the loosely affiliated, fiercely independent, slightly anarchic group of salvage operators.

Tanya Huff does such a good a job
Paradoxical
Sep 02, 2012 Paradoxical rated it really liked it
I rather enjoy the Confederation novels by Tanya Huff. There's something about them that's so likeable, that makes reading a breeze. Though, all right, I've always been a sucker for military science fiction with a woman main character.

The Truth of Valor reads a bit like a transition novel. There's actually a good deal of background information in this book about what you've learned from the last books--a lot more than I remember the last books containing. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it did
Alan
Mar 15, 2015 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For this to be a fair review I feel I should put a few qualifiers out there, so here we go.

I read the Huff's third Kerr book after picking it up from the library discard pile (free is a great price IMO). I then found the other four as audio books, and thought they would be good for the 20-30 minute walk from the train to the apartment during the work week. As I dumped cable, when I'm puttering around the apartment I either put on the radio (usually local sports teams) or listen to the book if th
Lianne Burwell
Jan 21, 2013 Lianne Burwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
I've read most of Ms Huff's novels over the years (I can count on one hand how many books I skipped, for various reasons), and among those books, I think the Valor novels are my current favorite.

In the last book, Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr was thought dead, fought her way out of an alien prison, along with members of the race that 'our' side has been at war with for generations, and exposed the previously unknown 'plastic' aliens that have been manipulating matters to create and maintain that w
Casting call 2 18 Jan 14, 2015 02:44PM
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • Hellfire (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #3)
  • Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4)
  • I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...

Confederation (7 books)
  • Valor's Choice (Confederation #1)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • An Ancient Peace (Peacekeeper, #1; Confederation, #6)
  • A Peace Divided (Peacekeeper, #2)