Start by marking “A Life Worth Breathing: A Yoga Master's Handbook of Strength, Grace, and Healing” as Want to Read:

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  28 reviews
We can do more with this life. We all know it, we all wish for it, but just how to do it—that eludes us. In his new book, A Life Worth Breathing, internationally renowned yoga teacher and spiritual philosopher Max Strom shows us the way. His groundbreaking book reaches past expected dogma in a language that is vital, inspired, and accessible. Strom leads us on a journey of ...more
Published April 7th 2010 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Life Worth Breathing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Life Worth Breathing

Ron Vitale
Much of what I read in this book is common sense. That's both a good thing and a bad one. If you're willing to be open minded, you'll read lines such as "practicing yoga 4 times a week is encouraged" and be able to make time for that. If, like me, you're new to the whole yoga experience, trying to figure out how to make time is daunting.

And I think that is where the book shines: How much TV or news reading do we do each day? Strom suggests that if we cut down watching the cat videos and being on
carrie
I actually got this book *after* taking a few classes with Max Strom when he was here at our local yoga studio. What a wonderful human being he is. A great teacher who runs challenging classes that make you laugh and think. I credit his classes and this book with helping me put into words the ways in which yoga continues to transform my life in every big and little way, all for the better. However, you don't have to be a yogi in order to benefit from his wisdom and his spiritual, ecumenical, pan ...more
Abby
In this clear and beautiful book, Max Strom lays out the three pillars of healing: the physical body, the emotions and the mind.

Starting with his own story, Strom puts it all out on the line, why we need yoga, why it's good that yoga is starting with the upper-middle classes (the decision makers and money makers), and why we can't wait a moment longer to embark on our own personal journey to wellness and living a life worth breathing.

Clearly written with great metaphors and stories woven into h
Cara
What a wonderful book! This guy has some great tips, regardless to whether you have a yoga practice or not. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a different perspective.
Tina
Ready to turn back to page 1 and read it again. Remarkable!
Sky Murphy
Nov 21, 2010 Sky Murphy is currently reading it
So far a lot more of a life coaching book than yoga book.
Sheila
This book is the subject of the book club I've joined at my yoga studio in Greenwich (kaiayoga.com). I've only read the first few chapters and it is EXCELLENT!!! The author, yoga master Max Strom, will be hosting a workshop at my yoga studio on Thursday, September 23 at 7:30 - 9:30 pm. -- I've included workshop description below. If anyone is interested in coming you can register online at the web address above. I'll be there. I think it will be very interesting.

HEALING POWER OF FORGIVENESS
Forgi
Katie Dubik Schwarz
I recently started practicing yoga again after a few years of not practicing--and after a few years of doing the P90X version of yoga, which means to doing yoga with what Max Strom would call a "Sports Centric" (read: competitive, push yourself, ignore pain, beat the others) mindset. I never realized how many different types of yoga exist; I'm now doing hatha yoga, which is a lot of breathwork and a lot of poses that flow from one pose to the next while breathing in and out, in and out. I'm gett ...more
Carrie
This was a good book overall. Not just about yoga, or just about breathing, but about living a meaningful authentic life as a whole. I will definitely re-read this book at some time in the future.
Michelle Macluckie
This book was an accessible read for a beginner. It is well-written and has a number of memorable quotes and tidbits. I will use his words and simple exercises to enhance my practice.
Deb
Max Strom's perspective on yoga dovetails nicely with Satyananda yoga in that he acknowledges asana and then goes on to much more depth about the gifts we can receive if we continue past asana into pranayama, meditation and a life spent being yoga instead of doing yoga.

He's teaching in Rocky River next Sunday and I am looking forward to it immensely.
Michelle
This is a wonderful book. I started reading it on Kindle but bought the hardback because there were so many passages I wanted to bookmark and be able to refer to. It's easy to read, easy to understand and very moving. Breath is life, and his book is about living.
Marci
Absolutely LOVED this book. There are very few books I would say are life changing. This is one of them. I really think everyone should read this book. I plan on reading it again just to absorb more of Mr. Strom's insight.
Katie Hay
I love Max Strom and this book is a very approachable yoga book. It provides lots of information about living your yoga off the mat, practices you can do on your own, and lots of good information about yogic breathing.
Stephanie
Though this book is very yoga-centered, I appreciated Strom's philosophies on life, money, ethics, etc. A good book to read to remind us to strive to be the best we can in all we do.
Amymercovich
excellent book for learning to use breath and breathing practices to stay in the present moment, to be kind and patient, and to have a good life.
Paula
Not groundbreaking, but an inspiring and enjoyable read. I like what he has to say about how (and where) emotions become stuck in the physical body.
Alice
Max is the yoga teacher with whom I did 200-hour training. It reinforces a lot of what he talked about during training.
Dina
Very insightful! The message it gives is something I wish everyone would read and take to heart.
Susanne
A good story; finally more people write about youga and not just asana
Nat
I prefer listening to his teachings in workshops, a great yoga master!
Interesting read and interesting look at yoga. Maybe 2 1/2
Alina
Excellent book by Max Storm. Great perspective
Linda
Great book about yoga and life balance.
K
Read mostly before worth with chai.
AMAZING BOOK!!!!
Julie
Inspirational...
Tracey
Loved this!
Julie Rasmussen
Julie Rasmussen is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Myths of the Asanas: The Ancient Origins of Yoga
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • The Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali: A New Translation with Commentary
  • Meditation for the Love of It: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature, Philosophy and Practice
  • Romancing the Ordinary: A Year of Simple Splendor
  • Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization
  • Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes
  • The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind
There Is No App for Happiness: How to Avoid a Near-Life Experience Das Herz des Yoga: Körper, Geist, Gefühle - Die drei Säulen der Transformation (German Edition)

“We think very little of time present; we anticipate the future as being too slow, and with a view to hasten it onward, we recall the past to stay it as too swiftly gone. We are so thoughtless, that we thus wander through thehours which are not here, regardless only of the moment that is actually our own. —Blaise Pascal” 0 likes