Start by marking “A Life Worth Breathing: A Yoga Master's Handbook of Strength, Grace, and Healing” as Want to Read:

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  353 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
We can do more with this life. We all know it, we all wish for it, but just how to do it—that eludes us. In his new book, A Life Worth Breathing, internationally renowned yoga teacher and spiritual philosopher Max Strom shows us the way. His groundbreaking book reaches past expected dogma in a language that is vital, inspired, and accessible. Strom leads us on a journey of ...more
Published April 7th 2010 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Life Worth Breathing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Life Worth Breathing

Ron Vitale
Sep 20, 2012 Ron Vitale rated it liked it
Much of what I read in this book is common sense. That's both a good thing and a bad one. If you're willing to be open minded, you'll read lines such as "practicing yoga 4 times a week is encouraged" and be able to make time for that. If, like me, you're new to the whole yoga experience, trying to figure out how to make time is daunting.

And I think that is where the book shines: How much TV or news reading do we do each day? Strom suggests that if we cut down watching the cat videos and being on
carrie
Jun 14, 2010 carrie rated it really liked it
I actually got this book *after* taking a few classes with Max Strom when he was here at our local yoga studio. What a wonderful human being he is. A great teacher who runs challenging classes that make you laugh and think. I credit his classes and this book with helping me put into words the ways in which yoga continues to transform my life in every big and little way, all for the better. However, you don't have to be a yogi in order to benefit from his wisdom and his spiritual, ecumenical, pan ...more
Abby
Apr 14, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing
In this clear and beautiful book, Max Strom lays out the three pillars of healing: the physical body, the emotions and the mind.

Starting with his own story, Strom puts it all out on the line, why we need yoga, why it's good that yoga is starting with the upper-middle classes (the decision makers and money makers), and why we can't wait a moment longer to embark on our own personal journey to wellness and living a life worth breathing.

Clearly written with great metaphors and stories woven into h
Tabitha Donaghue
Oct 15, 2015 Tabitha Donaghue rated it really liked it
This book is really an exercise in believing in your own intrinsic worth as a living being arrayed in a magnificent matrix of body and mind. As you proceed through it you are gently stripped of negativity, and buoyed on encouragements to be sweet to yourself, and sweet to others. The single best line in this book is: ‘perhaps it is the addiction itself we hunt, not the prize.’ I go in for this sort of thing, so I found this book very insightful and soothing and helpful. It wants you to move with ...more
LouLou
Jan 21, 2016 LouLou rated it it was amazing
Read review in its entirety at http://www.compassbookratings.com/rev...

A beautiful look into the mindset of Max Strom, a worldwide respected teacher of personal transformation and yoga, A Life Worth Breathing satisfies a soul who's held its breath in for far too long.

Focusing on what Strom calls, The Three Pillars of Transformation: body, mind, and emotions, the student/reader will learn to simultaneously immerse change within these three areas to culminate in a sacred journey within one's own s
Cara
Mar 21, 2014 Cara rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! This guy has some great tips, regardless to whether you have a yoga practice or not. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a different perspective.
Elijay
Dec 14, 2015 Elijay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
I'm reading this through the eyes of a dedicated practioner and the experience of a 200hr teacher training course, to me this book makes a lot of sense.

It is written in an accessible way however it isn't really a book for beginners, I say this because I think you'd benefit from this book more once you already have an established practice.

This is a totally excellent yoga book for those who already have a practice and are ready to go deeper into exploring oneself and how ones life is led. Dependi
Tina
Oct 16, 2010 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga-meditation
Ready to turn back to page 1 and read it again. Remarkable!
Sky
Nov 21, 2010 Sky is currently reading it
So far a lot more of a life coaching book than yoga book.
Sheila
Apr 12, 2011 Sheila rated it it was amazing
This book is the subject of the book club I've joined at my yoga studio in Greenwich (kaiayoga.com). I've only read the first few chapters and it is EXCELLENT!!! The author, yoga master Max Strom, will be hosting a workshop at my yoga studio on Thursday, September 23 at 7:30 - 9:30 pm. -- I've included workshop description below. If anyone is interested in coming you can register online at the web address above. I'll be there. I think it will be very interesting.

HEALING POWER OF FORGIVENESS
Forgi
Kate Schwarz
Oct 01, 2013 Kate Schwarz rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
I recently started practicing yoga again after a few years of not practicing--and after a few years of doing the P90X version of yoga, which means to doing yoga with what Max Strom would call a "Sports Centric" (read: competitive, push yourself, ignore pain, beat the others) mindset. I never realized how many different types of yoga exist; I'm now doing hatha yoga, which is a lot of breathwork and a lot of poses that flow from one pose to the next while breathing in and out, in and out. I'm gett ...more
Mj
Mar 10, 2015 Mj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you do Yoga, do this book

Max tells it like it should be. It is a book you will want to go back and reread parts of again, just to have the info settle into your thoughts. Anyone who has started doing Yoga will find this book very insightful and have you reaching for that inner connection and being. The author may get a bit caught up in the Eco system too much but not in challenging yourself to find out who you are and were created to be.
Nicholas Smith
Jan 03, 2015 Nicholas Smith rated it it was amazing
Strom writes with clear, accessible language about the hatha yoga tradition - a topic that many writers turn into esoteric babble with equal ease. He writes for the yogi and the non-yogi about how practicing makes life better. As a daily practitioner, I loved the book, but I imagine, even with it's relative accessibility, the person who hasn't practiced yoga or isn't interested in deepening her practice wouldn't find the book as interesting.
Annette
Jan 19, 2015 Annette rated it really liked it
The title says it all…if you are not breathing than it is not yoga. For yoga to be a living practice, one must practice their breath. With so many benefits about yoga already written, I stayed interested in what the author had to say. Strom’s message is to pass on or to teach others…the ultimate power of yoga. I was happy to read his journey that helps others transform their lives.
Mireya
Aug 23, 2015 Mireya rated it it was amazing
One of those books that changes your perspective of life. This book has touched me deeply. It has taught me so many things. I started reading it with a marker in my hand and its pages are now full of highlights and margin notes. I want to read it again. And again. And apply its content and learnings every day. Thanks Mr. Strom!
Wendy Rasich-cypert
Aug 18, 2015 Wendy Rasich-cypert rated it really liked it
I did the audio book.....careful when driving might lull you into sleep mode. Good clear , easy to understand for newbie or practicing yogi
Michelle Macluckie
Jan 25, 2014 Michelle Macluckie rated it really liked it
This book was an accessible read for a beginner. It is well-written and has a number of memorable quotes and tidbits. I will use his words and simple exercises to enhance my practice.
Lana
Jun 15, 2015 Lana rated it liked it
great information!
Deb
Sep 09, 2010 Deb rated it really liked it
Max Strom's perspective on yoga dovetails nicely with Satyananda yoga in that he acknowledges asana and then goes on to much more depth about the gifts we can receive if we continue past asana into pranayama, meditation and a life spent being yoga instead of doing yoga.

He's teaching in Rocky River next Sunday and I am looking forward to it immensely.
Michelle
Sep 07, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. I started reading it on Kindle but bought the hardback because there were so many passages I wanted to bookmark and be able to refer to. It's easy to read, easy to understand and very moving. Breath is life, and his book is about living.
Marci
Nov 01, 2014 Marci rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED this book. There are very few books I would say are life changing. This is one of them. I really think everyone should read this book. I plan on reading it again just to absorb more of Mr. Strom's insight.
Katie Hay
Aug 06, 2013 Katie Hay rated it really liked it
I love Max Strom and this book is a very approachable yoga book. It provides lots of information about living your yoga off the mat, practices you can do on your own, and lots of good information about yogic breathing.
Carrie
Feb 03, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, yoga
This was a good book overall. Not just about yoga, or just about breathing, but about living a meaningful authentic life as a whole. I will definitely re-read this book at some time in the future.
Stephanie
Apr 05, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Though this book is very yoga-centered, I appreciated Strom's philosophies on life, money, ethics, etc. A good book to read to remind us to strive to be the best we can in all we do.
Amymercovich
Nov 19, 2013 Amymercovich rated it really liked it
excellent book for learning to use breath and breathing practices to stay in the present moment, to be kind and patient, and to have a good life.
Paula
Jun 11, 2010 Paula rated it liked it
Not groundbreaking, but an inspiring and enjoyable read. I like what he has to say about how (and where) emotions become stuck in the physical body.
Alice
Jun 05, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
Max is the yoga teacher with whom I did 200-hour training. It reinforces a lot of what he talked about during training.
Dina
Sep 17, 2011 Dina rated it it was amazing
Very insightful! The message it gives is something I wish everyone would read and take to heart.
Susanne
Dec 11, 2010 Susanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story; finally more people write about youga and not just asana
Nat
I prefer listening to his teachings in workshops, a great yoga master!
  • Stretch: The Unlikely Making of a Yoga Dude
  • The Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali: A New Translation with Commentary
  • Warrior Pose: How Yoga (Literally) Saved My Life
  • How Yoga Works
  • Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Romancing the Ordinary: A Year of Simple Splendor
  • Yoga Beyond Belief: Insights to Awaken and Deepen Your Practice
  • Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes
  • Kripalu Yoga: A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mat
  • Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind

“We think very little of time present; we anticipate the future as being too slow, and with a view to hasten it onward, we recall the past to stay it as too swiftly gone. We are so thoughtless, that we thus wander through thehours which are not here, regardless only of the moment that is actually our own. —Blaise Pascal” 1 likes
“I attribute much of my rapid transformation to learning how to breathe well early on. That is when things really started to move. Through the breathing practice I really felt the way I thought.” 0 likes